weekly Blondie606's 52 in 2014 Wk 52 Support-THE END :-)

I really like the image, so I was just being picky... and no, I just had a quick look on flickr :) My monitor does have quite a steep falloff from 255 white down, so very subtle changes in bright whites do tend to jump out a bit. Conversely, the very dark blues are very hard to distinguish from complete blacks, so it does have its downsides.

Without wanting to take over your thread, here is a quick grab I did from Flickr, obviously massively emphasising the two areas highlighted with crazily excessive curve boosts: http://i.imgur.com/skz8VIA.jpg

I really wish I understood what you mean by " quite a steep falloff from 255 white down" :thinking: I can see the bits you mean when I zoom in but no idea how they got there or what they are...most curious :thinking:

Quick Wk 45 from me.....

no idea's sprang to mind except for a line from a song...." The 1st cut is the deepest".....& cutting myself seemed a little excessive for the project :wideyed:

So , out n about this morning I spotted this little fella just warming himself in the FIRST rays of sun..........

Wk 45 First ray of sun to warm him up by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

or....

Wk 45 First ray of sun to warm him up by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

taken at slightly different angles , couldn't compose any better without losing the top of the plant he was on.....

Balance - You've spent too much time with Blakester LOL. seriously I really like this. The colours of the stones match the high key lighting which is wrapping around some of the images (that's not negative on this one as it fits). Using a black pebble on top is a nice touch as well. Super

Change - Not really getting the link with the theme but I do like #1 (pity about the crop at the bottom). The expanse of tree (super colours) is a nice juxtaposition to the small soldiers at the bottom

Grow - Another high key approach but I feel this doesn't work as well on the vase as it doesn't jump out enough leaving the bulb almost floating. Maybe some black card each side would have helped bring out the glass edges.

Reshoot - Nothing wrong with the ring shots but the Change, Texture or Nature image is the winner for this reshoot theme. Some nice colours and great textures

Live - Nice find. I like the glistening on the shell and body and the super greens of the moss. The square crop is a good choice as well.

First - A super nature shot. Lovely tones and a thumbs up for the stem coming from the bottom right corner.

Hi, Live, lovEly detail in the snail. I like how the shape of the snail contrasts against the stare crop....but I find my eye drawn to the to, and especially the OOF lower bit, so I had a crop and preferred it. Also, I'd have had to remove that bit of mud to the right of the snail. Some people, thought, don't like to mess.

First, lovely warm light there and lovely muted colours. I kind of find the big thing a little distracting.

I do like the saturation on the final reshoot. Really punchy photpgrah.

Cheers.

I really wish I understood what you mean by " quite a steep falloff from 255 white down" :thinking: I can see the bits you mean when I zoom in but no idea how they got there or what they are...most curious :thinking:

Sorry Lynne, didn't mean to be cryptic!

My monitor shows pure white (which in 8 bit colour mode can be described by its RGB values of 255,255,255... hence "255") fairly distinctly from the next brightest shade of nearly-white (RGB 254,254,254) and so on... basically it "falls off" sharply as the whiteness decreases.

Black is RGB 0,0,0 and my monitor is quite poor at distinguishing between that and say 0,0,16 (for argument's sake) as dark blues look just like plain black. Reds on the other hand look super saturated. I do need to get it recalibrated I think!

My monitor shows pure white (which in 8 bit colour mode can be described by its RGB values of 255,255,255... hence "255") fairly distinctly from the next brightest shade of nearly-white (RGB 254,254,254) and so on... basically it "falls off" sharply as the whiteness decreases.

Black is RGB 0,0,0 and my monitor is quite poor at distinguishing between that and say 0,0,16 (for argument's sake) as dark blues look just like plain black. Reds on the other hand look super saturated. I do need to get it recalibrated I think!

Yeah, that'll really help @blondie606 ;)

Hi Lynne, I have no idea what all that waffle is above :thinking:, the second one works for me, the BG is better as is the DoF and its beautifully sharp, you have handled the bright sun really well

How on earth do you come across that other information about monitors o_O

Hi Lynne, two great shots but do prefer the greater dof in the 2nd, super detail viewed large on flickr (y).........:thinking:........ I might have been tempted to clone out that bit of cob web just below the fly :)

Big catch up - sorry I've not been here for a while!

Change - love the colours of the leaves in the first one. It's not at all tenuous and perfectly illustrates the changing season.

Grow - agree with others that it could do with a tad more definition to the vase, but apart from that a very pretty shot.

Reshoot - a beautiful shot that's good enough to stand alone without the rose, although I do like the extra splash of colour that it adds!

Live - a great capture of something so tiny and fast-moving! Love the shiny shell and well-defined spiral :clap:

Ooops, didn't notice I wasn't at the last page for the other shots! Smashing shots for First, I prefer the colours and dof of the first one, but I think you've just captured the fly at a slightly better angle on the second one. I love how his eye looks like something off Bejeweled Blitz o_O

Love then both Lynne, did first of all prefer the first, the focus on the fly is spot on, and the shallow dof works beautifully. I like all the seed heads being differing levels of sharpness. I think it might just be a bit too warm though.. Or maybe too green?

Second I prefer the colours in, the lighter BG works well.

Hi Lynne... nicely done with the two macro shots. Lighting is good and particularly like the highlight bokeh in the first (some might argue it's distracting but I think it's nice).

I agree with Graham that the lighter BG helps separate the foreground interest more, so is my favourite as well. (y)

Hey Lynne :)

Promise re-shoot - You and that blinking Rose lol !!!!

A couple of nice clean shots, I do actually like the touch of colour the rose brings, but prefer the simple clean shot without it more :)

Change , Texture or Nature - lol again... Super textures on this shot, my OCD wants the greener leaf in the middle, the bark as a background/border is very effective, a lovely autumnal image (y)

Live - What a sweet little fella you found, I really like how you have captured him, with his body (Body ??) curling around to follow the lines of his shell, the DoF is good for him, really like the foreground foliage too :)

Wondering if selective luminance adjustment would smooth out the background a bit, as that is the only area that grain is very noticeable ??

First - Shame this little chap isn't up the frame a tad, as the detail is really nice, just a bit low for me, liking the sparkle of the dew and a nice warm image (y)

Some cracking shots there Lynne.

The ring is better without the rose, so nice one. Simple but nailed it.
Change/Nature/Texture shot - love it. Such wonderful colours and nice 'shopping
Loving the colours and detail in the live shot - framed nicely and well, I just like it.
I agree with Susie the first of the First shots is best of the two, but that said, both are fantastic. It's also amazing how a change of POV can change the colours in it!

Nature … I too like a bit of PP play occasionally … and I'd be well pleased if I could come up with a result like that. Very creative.

Live … A pleasing – if you like that kind of thing – image. “So hand held hence the high ISO” … interesting … I've never played much – to any effect – with ISO … did it increase shininess and does it effect the speed, if/when on semi auto?

First … going against the grain, I like the sharpness of #2

Balance - You've spent too much time with Blakester LOL. seriously I really like this. The colours of the stones match the high key lighting which is wrapping around some of the images (that's not negative on this one as it fits). Using a black pebble on top is a nice touch as well. Super

Change - Not really getting the link with the theme but I do like #1 (pity about the crop at the bottom). The expanse of tree (super colours) is a nice juxtaposition to the small soldiers at the bottom

Grow - Another high key approach but I feel this doesn't work as well on the vase as it doesn't jump out enough leaving the bulb almost floating. Maybe some black card each side would have helped bring out the glass edges.

Reshoot - Nothing wrong with the ring shots but the Change, Texture or Nature image is the winner for this reshoot theme. Some nice colours and great textures

Live - Nice find. I like the glistening on the shell and body and the super greens of the moss. The square crop is a good choice as well.

First - A super nature shot. Lovely tones and a thumbs up for the stem coming from the bottom right corner.

Thanks for the mega catch up Peter , much appreciated ..........agree with comments re the Bulb...will have to try using card as suggested if I try a similar shot again . Mr Blakester's obsession with pebbles is kinda contagious :)

Hi, Live, lovEly detail in the snail. I like how the shape of the snail contrasts against the stare crop....but I find my eye drawn to the to, and especially the OOF lower bit, so I had a crop and preferred it. Also, I'd have had to remove that bit of mud to the right of the snail. Some people, thought, don't like to mess.

First, lovely warm light there and lovely muted colours. I kind of find the big thing a little distracting.

I do like the saturation on the final reshoot. Really punchy photpgrah.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy , I did " clean " a large glob of mud from the snail shot ,didn't want to crop much harder as was already a big crop due to the teeny tiny size of the little fella :)
Big thing ?? what big thing ?? Do you mean the plant he's resting on ? Not a lot I could do about that as didn't want him to fly off :-(

Cheers Paul........:wideyed:

Yeah, that'll really help @blondie606 ;)

Oi !! :bat::D
:oops: :$

Sorry... I'm a bit of a geek and I tend to assume everyone else is too.

I was genuinely trying to be "normal" as well :eek:

I thank you again Paul...every day's a school day (y) It's not my fault that I just don't "get" computers ......

Hell, I actually laughed out loud at that :D

To be honest....So did I :LOL:

Hi Lynne, I have no idea what all that waffle is above :thinking:, the second one works for me, the BG is better as is the DoF and its beautifully sharp, you have handled the bright sun really well

How on earth do you come across that other information about monitors o_O

Thanks Allan (y)

Hi Lynne, two great shots but do prefer the greater dof in the 2nd, super detail viewed large on flickr (y).........:thinking:........ I might have been tempted to clone out that bit of cob web just below the fly :)

Cheers Phil....didn't spot the cobweb till after I'd posted up.......:rolleyes:

Big catch up - sorry I've not been here for a while!

Change - love the colours of the leaves in the first one. It's not at all tenuous and perfectly illustrates the changing season.

Grow - agree with others that it could do with a tad more definition to the vase, but apart from that a very pretty shot.

Reshoot - a beautiful shot that's good enough to stand alone without the rose, although I do like the extra splash of colour that it adds!

Live - a great capture of something so tiny and fast-moving! Love the shiny shell and well-defined spiral :clap:

Thanks for the mega catch up Elaine....much appreciated (y)

Ooops, didn't notice I wasn't at the last page for the other shots! Smashing shots for First, I prefer the colours and dof of the first one, but I think you've just captured the fly at a slightly better angle on the second one. I love how his eye looks like something off Bejeweled Blitz o_O

Cheers again Elaine....I do go on a bit don't I :oops: :$

Love then both Lynne, did first of all prefer the first, the focus on the fly is spot on, and the shallow dof works beautifully. I like all the seed heads being differing levels of sharpness. I think it might just be a bit too warm though.. Or maybe too green?

Second I prefer the colours in, the lighter BG works well.

Thanks Graham...I'm with you on that one , but the only thing I changed when taking the 2 shots was the angle...& I think i may have toned down the color as smidge on post on the 1st......

Hi Lynne... nicely done with the two macro shots. Lighting is good and particularly like the highlight bokeh in the first (some might argue it's distracting but I think it's nice).

I agree with Graham that the lighter BG helps separate the foreground interest more, so is my favourite as well. (y)

Thanks Paul...you got your monitor re-calibrated yet ?

Promise re-shoot - You and that blinking Rose lol !!!!

A couple of nice clean shots, I do actually like the touch of colour the rose brings, but prefer the simple clean shot without it more :)

Change , Texture or Nature - lol again... Super textures on this shot, my OCD wants the greener leaf in the middle, the bark as a background/border is very effective, a lovely autumnal image (y)

Live - What a sweet little fella you found, I really like how you have captured him, with his body (Body ??) curling around to follow the lines of his shell, the DoF is good for him, really like the foreground foliage too :)

Wondering if selective luminance adjustment would smooth out the background a bit, as that is the only area that grain is very noticeable ??

First - Shame this little chap isn't up the frame a tad, as the detail is really nice, just a bit low for me, liking the sparkle of the dew and a nice warm image (y)

Thanks for the mega catch up Dean , much appreciated (y)

I like my rose :bat:...was a different color this time though...just think the ring box on it's own is too plain....
Not tried selective luminance adjustment before...is that in Photoshop cc ? I'll give it a google later :D

& yes , I also wanted the little fly further up in the frame but in order to keep the other seed heads in frame it couldn't be done....& rules are made to be broken :D

Hi Lynne ...first shot in your First shots for me :) I love the soft glow, the wonderful colour of the OOF background, and the sparkly dew......very nice indeed and very well spotted.

Thanks Susie :)

Some cracking shots there Lynne.

The ring is better without the rose, so nice one. Simple but nailed it.
Change/Nature/Texture shot - love it. Such wonderful colours and nice 'shopping
Loving the colours and detail in the live shot - framed nicely and well, I just like it.
I agree with Susie the first of the First shots is best of the two, but that said, both are fantastic. It's also amazing how a change of POV can change the colours in it!

Cheers for the catch up Si , much appreciated (y)...I'm also amazed at how a slight change of angle can give such a different background

Nature … I too like a bit of PP play occasionally … and I'd be well pleased if I could come up with a result like that. Very creative.

Live … A pleasing – if you like that kind of thing – image. “So hand held hence the high ISO” … interesting … I've never played much – to any effect – with ISO … did it increase shininess and does it effect the speed, if/when on semi auto?

First … going against the grain, I like the sharpness of #2

Thanks for the catch up David, much appreciated (y) As for your question on ISO.......I needed to increase it simply to keep a shutter speed I could hand hold .I was shooting in relatively deep shade & due to his speed ( I jest not) I couldn't use the tripod. Upping the ISO worked a treat , didn't increase the shininess just the shutter speed. I shoot mainly in Aperture priority which I guess is semi auto mode ? But ISO will affect the image even in in full manual mode...........a statement I'm fairly sure someone will contradict :D

Wk 46 & Smooth.....was only ever going to be one choice of subject matter for me with this theme....Water !

I have a real "thing" for silky smooth water shots at the moment ,mainly water falls admittedly but thought I'd try it on the sea today . Marsha took me down to Dreamers Bay ,where , after falling flat in my back, (bloomin hurt as well...darn slippy rocks! ) I set about trying the Lee big stopper out & attempting to get somewhere near the right color balance . Previous attempts have seen a wonderfully weird greeny blue color cast on all my long exposure images....this one however was going to be different ....

Wk 46 Smooth by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

Now....if you look closely enough ( Paul :p ) you'll notice to minute black blobs on the horizon which are bouys , meant to clone them out on pp but forgot :rolleyes:

Thanks for the catch up David, much appreciated (y) As for your question on ISO.......I needed to increase it simply to keep a shutter speed I could hand hold .I was shooting in relatively deep shade & due to his speed ( I jest not) I couldn't use the tripod. Upping the ISO worked a treat , didn't increase the shininess just the shutter speed. I shoot mainly in Aperture priority which I guess is semi auto mode ? But ISO will affect the image even in in full manual mode...........a statement I'm fairly sure someone will contradict :D

"Aperture priority" ... my default mode of late.

But you've got me thinking about experimenting with ISO at the same time.

:)

Smooth ... beautiful, smooth indeed, I guess you caught that a split second after the tiniest wave had broken.

Thanks Paul...you got your monitor re-calibrated yet ?

No... But I have got a new one :)

Well, technically not really - I have a new laptop which means I'll be better off looking at photos on the move and also potentially posting when I'm not at home. It has a nice spangly IPS screen so it's just like my Dell panel on the desktop. i.e. needing calibration ;)

All joking aside, your photos are fabulous Lynne... the only reason any of us pick up on tiny (irrelevant) stuff is because they are always just so damned good. Otherwise it would just be "wonderful shot, Lynne" which wouldn't be any use at all... (no matter how true) I'm sure you understand.

Unfortunately, you've stumped me on this last post. I'm in serious danger of just resorting to a "wow, that's a wonderful shot"... because I love everything about it. I adore landscape shots and despite that being one of the main reasons to get the camera in the first place, I do struggle with them. Yours is exceptional. Soooo peaceful as well... :clap:

Hope your back is better...no pleasure without pain :)

Looks like a wonderful location and I really like the detail in the sky. Big Stopper, I can see some movement in the edges but not in the middle so it must have been very bright. Why ISO 320?

I can't decide whether there is a slight colour cast or not...maybe a slight green/blue cast and a little underexposed.

Also, I'm not keen on the seaweed on the FG, and I'd like the perspective a little lower.

I'm being very critical here, but I know you'll take it in the spirit it is intended.

A very tranquil scene.

Can't see any black blobs, though.

Cheers.

"Aperture priority" ... my default mode of late.

But you've got me thinking about experimenting with ISO at the same time.

:)

Smooth ... beautiful, smooth indeed, I guess you caught that a split second after the tiniest wave had broken.

Cheers David....glad to have helped :) Nope, the waves were really small & used the Lee big stopper to smooth the action out , 22 seconds in fairly strong light

No... But I have got a new one :)

Well, technically not really - I have a new laptop which means I'll be better off looking at photos on the move and also potentially posting when I'm not at home. It has a nice spangly IPS screen so it's just like my Dell panel on the desktop. i.e. needing calibration ;)

All joking aside, your photos are fabulous Lynne... the only reason any of us pick up on tiny (irrelevant) stuff is because they are always just so damned good. Otherwise it would just be "wonderful shot, Lynne" which wouldn't be any use at all... (no matter how true) I'm sure you understand.

Unfortunately, you've stumped me on this last post. I'm in serious danger of just resorting to a "wow, that's a wonderful shot"... because I love everything about it. I adore landscape shots and despite that being one of the main reasons to get the camera in the first place, I do struggle with them. Yours is exceptional. Soooo peaceful as well... :clap:

Thanks Paul :kiss:

Great shot to illustrate Smooth and beautifully exposed.(y)

Thanks Andrew :)

Hope your back is better...no pleasure without pain :)

Looks like a wonderful location and I really like the detail in the sky. Big Stopper, I can see some movement in the edges but not in the middle so it must have been very bright. Why ISO 320?

I can't decide whether there is a slight colour cast or not...maybe a slight green/blue cast and a little underexposed.

Also, I'm not keen on the seaweed on the FG, and I'd like the perspective a little lower.

I'm being very critical here, but I know you'll take it in the spirit it is intended.

A very tranquil scene.

Can't see any black blobs, though.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy.....lower back is nicely bruised , only hurts when I sit down, squat down or bend over the tripod :ROFLMAO:

Was very bright indeed......320 ISO.....forgot to set back to 100 ! Seaweed is for lead in ? Couldn't get any lower as behind the sea weed is the ridge I was standing on so had I gone down there I wouldn't have got the water coming as I'd have been to close, no color cast that I can see on the laptop but will check on the desk top when I get home & finally....exposure looks spot on the laptop but again I need to check on the desk top as struggle a little with editing on the laptop as never sure what angle to have the screen at :D

The black blobs....ya not looking hard enough :LOL:

Well, I'm the first to admit that my technical knowledge is practically zero, so I had to google to find out what your big stopper thingy was :oops: :$

I love the effect that it has on the water - very smooth and tranquil-looking - but I'm not so sure about the surrounding land. To me it has a sort of a "2D watercolour painting" quality, almost as if it's been cut and pasted in - or is that the effect that you were going for? Good overall image and composition though - I think you've captured the colours well and I like the patch of seaweed in the foreground that adds a bit of perspective.

Hi Lynne, lovely shot of the bay, certainly achieved what you were after with the water, looks great full size on flickr :clap: its only then you can see the blobs but they they are fine (y)

It's nice to know you do all your own stunts too :D

Hi Lynne

Grow:
Would look right at home in a catalouge. Perfectly on theme and technically well executed, although maybe just a tad bright for my tired eyes.

Week 43 Reshoot: Out of the three I like the one with the three leaves. You do these triptych's so well and this one does'nt disappoint. The strong use of shapes, colours and textures makes this a stand out image for sure.

Live: First off really like the square crop which works well with the wee round subject. Like the OOF leaves bottom right which add some nice framing. The glisten on the snail and leaves is probably my fav part. Super sharp all round and you've definitely got the shot in the back under tricky conditions - The mark of a real compitent photographer! :clap:

First: Definitely number one for me. The vibrant bokeh background, shallow dof and warm tones all work well together. Not the most photogenic little fella, but I do very much appreciate the skill involved in capturing natures little critters.

Smooth: Such a beautiful and somewhat stark landscape. Would never have guessed its Cyprus. Sure looks like a dream and so badly make me want to jump in and swim. Composition is good and like how the land is placed on the upper third. Also like the foreground interest - just enough there on show, any more might detract. Obviously the milky water and soft cloud reflections just add to the dreamy atmosphere. Good work Lynne!

Hi Lynne

Grow- like the idea - the juxtaposition of box and bulb. A bit hard to see the vase and if roots ah been appearing in water it would have been a bonus for the theme

Reshoot of Promise is good with the rose

Live - good focus, lovely healthy sheen to the snail, and nice sticky out things on head

First - #1 does seem to have a much warmer feel, which is the point of the title and its connection to the theme. #2 looks a little lifeless. Good comp on both but agree with DK @Dark Knight about position of bug

smooth - like the comp, the serenity. Good framing with the cliffs and good lead in lines to the horizon. good colours on RHS 2/3 altho LHS 1/3 has a bit less oomph

Ouch, hope your bum back's feeling better. :) could have been worse, could have dropped the camera as well.

Looks like a lovely peaceful spot here, well suited to the long exposure. Whatever corrections you've done to exposure / colour balance look good to me. Could you take a shot without the filter on, at normal exposure, just so you have something to compare the colours to when you get home??

Love the hint of movement in the clouds, nice to see a LE not converted to B&W.

Last edited:
Hi Lynne, looks a beautiful spot, love the composition, good detail in the surrounding rocks/cliffs, land and lovely smooth water (y).......in fact it just makes me jealous because I want to be there too :p

Hi Lynne, I trust that you are well and are looking forward to Xmas. I am a little late with my comments again been very busy with work. I have had a look back at what I missed and may I say some great work as per the normal. Some cracking takes on the themes with grow, smooth being my favs. Some great use off pp skills in week 43 reshoot, your talent never ceases to amaze me I really do enjoy looking at your work.

Well, I'm the first to admit that my technical knowledge is practically zero, so I had to google to find out what your big stopper thingy was :oops: :$

I love the effect that it has on the water - very smooth and tranquil-looking - but I'm not so sure about the surrounding land. To me it has a sort of a "2D watercolour painting" quality, almost as if it's been cut and pasted in - or is that the effect that you were going for? Good overall image and composition though - I think you've captured the colours well and I like the patch of seaweed in the foreground that adds a bit of perspective.

Cheers Elaine....don't get many opportunities to use the big stopper so made the most of it in Cyprus . I've developed a real thing for silky smooth water though ! I'm guessing it's the long exposure that might give the impression of being pasted on ?

Hi Lynne, lovely shot of the bay, certainly achieved what you were after with the water, looks great full size on flickr :clap: its only then you can see the blobs but they they are fine (y)

It's nice to know you do all your own stunts too :D

Cheers Allan.....that rock was bloomin hard...& I didn't get any danger money :D The little blobs were some sort of bouy I think.....but so small I'd not have been able to clone them out properly

Smooth - Ooooo you bugger !!! a bit better weather you have over there :D

A nice seascape, the emphasis of the smooth water is spot on, enclosed by the rocks and a nice sky, the exposure and colours look spot on too - Nice one (y)

Cheers dean....weather was a balmy 24-25 degree's , just right :D

Back