weekly Blondie606's 52 in 2014 Wk 52 Support-THE END :-)

#1 is a great shot, Lynne. I love that moody sky, the reflection of the sun in the sea and the way that zigzag of groynes leads the eye in from the bottom lh corner. Definitely one to frame!

Hey Lynne :)

Ending - You and your groins !!!!

That fits fine for me, end of the day, end of the groin, or even the end of our patients waiting for a flipping nice sunset :D

Nice angle, lovely moody sky and a touch of colour in the middle too - Like it (y)

Clam - Super DoF, nice light and undisturbed sand, liking the long shadow too... as for theme, Ivory shoehorn was it ;)

Couple of cracking images, and to be honest would have been a bit disappointed if a shot from the weekend wasn't used (y)

#1 for me too. The shell is a great shot but it doesn't grab me in the same way the first does, I'm really liking that :clap:
I do think I might be tempted to try and clone out that pole thingymabob though :)

Last edited:
:wave: Lynne, that's a very nice shot of the beach (y) but I'm drawn to the shell, the dof, the light down the left gives it great detail, the long shadow and the detail in the sand is excellent :clap: for me, as others have said, it certainly wants some off the top :)............is it on theme? :thinking: .........the clams more 'long gone' than ending :p

I'm up for the end of the day - in fact it's on my list just incase we have a nice sun set one evening this week :D

Works for me with the wooden thingy leading you diagonally across.

I feel #1 fits the theme a little better but I do have to say I really like #2. Compositionally on the thirds. The subject is lovely and sharp. The shallow DoF is adding some hints of nice bokeh as well. Thumbs up from me.

Hi Lynne
Sense - very creative, like the way that the figure appears to be tipping, the lifted foot and the plank props. Just a bit over bright for me but excellent work(y)
Ending - #1 on theme, good colour and sky detail - very atmospheric
#2 - good photo, good colour and focus and dof - bit of a shoehorn for the theme:whistle:

No 1 for me and well done for creating two. Great composition with groins leading you into the picture.

Ending of the day is a lovely shot. Good composition, DoF, light, subject - all adds up
The shell has good composition DoF and lighting as well but does not have the same appeal to me as the first one.

Ending: Both are fantatic shots Lynn! I am intrigued by the 'enhancements' you've made to the first landscape image though. Any chance of a before & after here? ;)

The focus and clarity on the clam shell pic is superb too.Really good week for you and very well done!

Sense shot - Well lit, nice image.

Ending - I like both but if I had to pick one it would be the first one, good lead in lines and a nice exposure.

Good detail and I like the composition in #1. Pity about the slight blown bit but lighting was quite harsh that day.

#2, yeah, I remember you on the floor getting this one...good job you didn't delete it ;)

Cheers.

Hi Lynne No1 for me nice grey/blue clouds I don't think its stretching the theme "ending of the day" good enough for me.
The shell lovely and sharp but needs a slight crop off the top nice DoF though

Thanks Alan......as per usual my crops are a bit marmite.....for some reason I really wanted loads of space around the top....:thinking:

Number 1 for me also Lynne, really moody image and nice blue tones.

Thanks Adam :)

Ah now that bit I don't get either!!! I always start with a copy of the background then do all the cloning and cleaning if needed, then flatten and use any adjustments in their own layers. I have finally figured out layer masks though, love those bad boys!
Random, is it that dodgy brand you use :exit:

Anyhow, sense, love that. Great lighting again, just clipped the back end of the board a bit.

I too feel I need one of these guys in my life!

I can safely say Marsha , that Woody is a great asset ! As for layers...I'm muddling through best I can , getting results somewhere near what I want...wether it's the correct way is another matter altogether :D

Hi Lynne love #1 it does a great job of drawing you in, the reflected colours on the sea are nice too :clap::clap:
Cheers Judi :)

Ending, liking the sunset shot, even if you have cheated a bit somewhere! Nice and simple shell shot too, like Allan says, needs a slice off the top :)

Crops....pah......dunno why , seem to be going for lots of negative space at the mo....kinda like it :p

I like the first one, very moody and nice composition (y)

Thanks Mark :)

I like both, but slightly favour No1. nice use of rules of third and nice lead in lines

Thanks Colin......as for rule of thirds....more luck than judgement :rolleyes:

#1 is a great shot, Lynne. I love that moody sky, the reflection of the sun in the sea and the way that zigzag of groynes leads the eye in from the bottom lh corner. Definitely one to frame!

Cheers M :)

Sense - Nicely composed and well exposed, that model certainly earns his/her keep.

Ending - The composition is excellent and the sunset is nicely exposed (y)

Thanks Michael..... Woody is currently invaluable :D

Two very good images I like them both compositionally, I think the first one fits the theme for me with the " ending of the day " and also the ending of the pier jetty thing heading into the water.
Cheers Mandy..:)

Hey Lynne :)

Ending - You and your groins !!!!

That fits fine for me, end of the day, end of the groin, or even the end of our patients waiting for a flipping nice sunset :D

Nice angle, lovely moody sky and a touch of colour in the middle too - Like it (y)

Clam - Super DoF, nice light and undisturbed sand, liking the long shadow too... as for theme, Ivory shoehorn was it ;)

Couple of cracking images, and to be honest would have been a bit disappointed if a shot from the weekend wasn't used (y)

Thanks Dean...ya can't beat a good groyne....:D They totally fascinate me...... I don't think it mattered what the theme had been...I was always gonna shoehorn an image in from the trip (y)

#1 for me too. The shell is a great shot but it doesn't grab me in the same way the first does, I'm really liking that :clap:
I do think I might be tempted to try and clone out that pole thingymabob though :)

Thanks Chris....clone out the thingymabob....NOOOOOOOOO...spent the whole weekend finding them & shooting them ;)
:wave: Lynne, that's a very nice shot of the beach (y) but I'm drawn to the shell, the dof, the light down the left gives it great detail, the long shadow and the detail in the sand is excellent :clap: for me, as others have said, it certainly wants some off the top :)............is it on theme? :thinking: .........the clams more 'long gone' than ending :p

Did I mention the crowbar with the Shell Phil :whistle: & darn it....I'm liking lots of empty space....just a phase I'm sure :D

I'm up for the end of the day - in fact it's on my list just incase we have a nice sun set one evening this week :D

Works for me with the wooden thingy leading you diagonally across.

It's a Groyne Sarah...I have developed an unhealthy fascination with them :whistle: 4 nights we were out n about , not a sunset to be seen , nor a sunrise in the morning for that matter....came home & the following 3 nights & morn's the sky was on fire :arghh:

I feel #1 fits the theme a little better but I do have to say I really like #2. Compositionally on the thirds. The subject is lovely and sharp. The shallow DoF is adding some hints of nice bokeh as well. Thumbs up from me.

Cheers Peter.....at last, someone who like lots of empty space as well (y)

Hi Lynne
Sense - very creative, like the way that the figure appears to be tipping, the lifted foot and the plank props. Just a bit over bright for me but excellent work(y)
Ending - #1 on theme, good colour and sky detail - very atmospheric
#2 - good photo, good colour and focus and dof - bit of a shoehorn for the theme:whistle:

Cheers Alan...the overly bright effect was caused by trying to lose the edge of the container he was stood in....I'm sticking with High Key...sounds much posher :naughty:

Hi Lynne...a super sunset, and I do also like the shell a lot...plain and simple, but beautifully in focus with the detail of the grains of sand around it. Your choice may be loose for the week...I think mine may be even worse...never mind it's almost Friday :)
Thanks Susie...not quite sunset we saw, nearer to the one we had in mind...thank god for post processing :whistle:

No 1 for me and well done for creating two. Great composition with groins leading you into the picture.

Cheers Richard:)

Ending of the day is a lovely shot. Good composition, DoF, light, subject - all adds up
The shell has good composition DoF and lighting as well but does not have the same appeal to me as the first one.

Thanks Suvv :)

Ending of the day works well real moody skies I like it :)

Another handy little boost in ps...the sky never quite came alive , but if it had then it would have looked like that....possibly :D

Ending: Both are fantatic shots Lynn! I am intrigued by the 'enhancements' you've made to the first landscape image though. Any chance of a before & after here? ;)

The focus and clarity on the clam shell pic is superb too.Really good week for you and very well done!

Cheers Jason.....I've attached the original sunset shot , sooc apart from resize to get it on here.....View attachment 6968

The 10stop filter I use leaves a lovely blue cast ( haven't sussed how to use preset wb in camera yet !)

Sense shot - Well lit, nice image.

Ending - I like both but if I had to pick one it would be the first one, good lead in lines and a nice exposure.

Thanks John :)

Good detail and I like the composition in #1. Pity about the slight blown bit but lighting was quite harsh that day.

#2, yeah, I remember you on the floor getting this one...good job you didn't delete it ;)

Still not sure why we get hung up on blown sky.......( I'm as guilty as anyone else) ...think my pp possibly emphasised it more....need to keep practicing...& the shot was with the 10 stop & a hard grad filter on :arghh:

Can'tbelieve I spent 1/2hr trying to find that dam shell again :D

Cheers.
No.1 for me, fits the theme and its just a good image. Not much more for me to input really, good stuff (y)

Cheers Simon :)

If anyone needs the crowbar.....I've just finished with it :whistle:

Positive.......last year we had negative & I struggled to do anything remotely interesting so was determined to try hard with positive .

My reasoning....... Spring is starting to bloom round here , lovely colorful flowers popping up along the road side & Film shots come from Negatives which are normally ( I think) black n white or sepia ...with me so far ? So rather than just shot flowers & use the line " Spring is positively coming " I thought of doing a Positive Negative....where the images are color instead of mono , colors being positive , mono being negative ....still with me ? Yup,stretching the theme a tad I know but hell , I wanted to play in PS :D

Here ya go :

Wk 9 Positive negative
by llj666, on Flickr

Followed a Gavin Hoey tutorial on You tube, started with my 3 images , & 2 blank images , created the film strip, popped the images in , had huge fun warping & skewing , added a shadow & hey presto...almost something like I wanted . There's a little bit of banding in the shadow from when I lightened the bg & the proportions are a smidge out but other than that I'm happy the result . Only a couple of hours to sort as well...result :)

Thanks for looking...:wave:

Last edited:
:whistle:

The indepth explanation helps with the connection and anything that helps us improve our PP is a good thing.

I'd prefer a less acute angle as it seems to stretch the LH flowers.

Nice clean BG and drop shadow.

Cheers.

Lynne, I'm impressed :clap: I wouldn't know where to start (well, apart from looking on youtube ) :D

Its certainly affective, love the shadow, composition wise, it sits well, very good (y)

HaHa excellent idea ... and to me it doesn't matter that the individual flower pics are distorted, in fact that's what makes it.

Hi Lynne, I agree with the last two comments, as already stated by Phil-D nicely composed and the shadow is excellent
nicely crowbarred in too :whistle:
good bit of PP :clap:

If anyone needs the crowbar.....I've just finished with it :whistle:

Positive.......last year we had negative & I struggled to do anything remotely interesting so was determined to try hard with positive .

My reasoning....... Spring is starting to bloom round here , lovely colorful flowers popping up along the road side & Film shots come from Negatives which are normally ( I think) black n white or sepia ...with me so far ? So rather than just shot flowers & use the line " Spring is positively coming " I thought of doing a Positive Negative....where the images are color instead of mono , colors being positive , mono being negative ....still with me ? Yup,stretching the theme a tad I know but hell , I wanted to play in PS :D
BLIMEY I think I had to read that 3 times :D

Excellent idea, and with all of the above explanation you nearly convinced me ;)

Really like how you have done that, very effective indeed, the shadow works really well, and how on earth you make the film strip and bend it... took me long enough to work out how to do a long straight box today :thinking:

Such a nice bright springy image - Love it (y)

This caught my eye over on flickr Lynne and without your explanation above, I still got it so for me it is certainly on theme, no crowbar required :D
Lovely piece of photoshoppery, I admire your skills Missus (y)

Good work, put your photographic feet up for the rest of the week ;)

"Positive on a negative film strip" would have sufficed for an explanation but why use 1 word when loads will do :D

Like this loads :clap: and as I'm likely to be home bound for a few weeks I may well have to look this up and have a go myself.

A really cool idea for sure. I am slightly perplexed by the perspective though :thinking: Perhaps some shading required along the front face of the strip (valley sections) to give more depth and 3D feel to the strip?

Thanks for sharing the SOOC of your ending picture. You really have tastefully proccessed this to elevatate it to the next level. Impressive work and a landscape to be proud of. (y)

Keep up the good work as always

hi lynne....

balancing woody is a nice fun image... liking the empty space above and the potrrait orientation.... can't help but think the difficulties posed by having him in a tray of water don;t really merit the benefit of the limited reflection that the tray of water brings.

the ending sunset is lovely... top job on the PP there from the original image... subtle, but very effective and natural.

And your positive, hard to see the individual images to judge quality of them, but I can well imagine they're good enough to stand on their own... but the film strip effect is great... I've followed that tutorial myself... as did Brian at some point last year, and your result from it is pretty much perfect.

I think you're really adding a very useful string to your bow with your PP skills, using them to enhance good work rather than cover up any failings!!

Back