weekly Blondie606's 52 in 2014 Wk 52 Support-THE END :-)

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
The madness that is the 52 challenge becomes addictive.....my 4th year on the trot ,loving every minute of it :D

To those of you starting your 1st 52 this year here's a few random thoughts from me......

Take your time , read the theme , use whatever means you have to get inspiration if it doesn't strike immediately . I use google a lot & the online free dictionary to eek out some obscure definitions thereby allowing liberal use of the crowbar :D

Don't panic......if your struggling , leave a week & catch up when you're able . Time & family life get in the way sometimes .

Leave feedback on others threads , say why you like/don't like something rather than just "Nice shot" , there's no right or wrong ,it's all about how you feel when you see an image .

Don't get :rage: or :crying: or throw your :dummy1: out at feedback left for you . We are generally a great bunch in this challenge & all crit is aimed to help others improve or see a different angle . I'd be banned by now if I'd taken offence each time Andy ( posiview) told me I'd got my crop wrong :LOL:

Have fun with it , it's your challenge , you'll get out of it what you put in

It ain't gonna be easy ,there'll be weeks when you just can't see the wood for the tree's & you wanna give up....DON'T....you'll regret it as it's a fab feeling to reach week 52 & see how much you've improved/learnt

Don't be afraid to ask questions ( I'm always asking them ) , someone will have the answer or be able to point you in the right direction (y)

& then there's the meets to be arranged ......a few of us try to get together for a couple of long weekends each year.....3 whole days of nothing but photography & laughs & sometimes even good weather .....keep your eye's peeled in the meet section as ,I suspect , either Andy or myself will be posting up another meet for midway through the challenge :wave:

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome, looking forward to be part of the madness and see some pics!:)

Hey ho.......Happy new year everyone.....shame it's so darn wet outside !

Settled for an indoor shot & the chance to play with some pp tutorials that have been gathering dust ....

Wk 0 Odd
by llj666, on Flickr

My crit.....think I should have lowered the opacity in the reflections a touch more

What I Like.......that I actually managed to follow the tutorial & happy with the result

Think I'm going to try to improve my pp a lot more this year , got plenty of dics's from magazines with things I'd like to tryout

Is it saturday yet ???

Hi, that's a very dramatic start. I really like the mutes and the composition. Not sure it's a little dark in the lower right.

Cheers.

Great start to your 52 challenge, the only thing I find that's bugging me is the darkness on the top left off the image. For my taste I'd like to see it match the right hand side off the image. Good take on the theme :)

Now that looks good...Im struck first by how proffessional it looks, though Im not really sure what that even means.

Like the textured paper effect too. For me a strong piece of work (y)

Last edited:
Hi Lynne
Really excellent start, love the colour and texture in there :clap:
I have no idea what it is though, which is a good thing (y)

And here come the experts :D

Excellent image Lynne, very good (y)

Hi, that's a very dramatic start. I really like the mutes and the composition. Not sure it's a little dark in the lower right.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy , I followed the tutorial to the letter , next time I can play about a little more....

Great start to your 52 challenge, the only thing I find that's bugging me is the darkness on the top left off the image. For my taste I'd like to see it match the right hand side off the image. Good take on the theme :)

Thanks missus.....the light/dark area's are meant to look as if there's some directional lighting being use hence lighter oone side....next time I'll play around a little more to even it out a bit ...was just happy that my attempt was actually quite close to the tutorial one :)

Yep, it's wet here too, but that's coz I just come back from the pool :D
Happy New Year Lynne, hope it's a good one for you.

& a Happy New Year to you & yours Neil.....thanks for popping in......but ya can go off people ya know...........just back from the pool o_O

Hey Lynne :)

Great to see you staying in again too !!!!

And what a odd start... really confusing me how you have the reflection on the wrinkled brown paper type background, really well done :confused:

Love the colours and tones, a super image, I can't crit at all :clap:

Many thanks Dean........I think it was meant to look like a textured bg stood on some highly reflective black glass.....maybe !

I like that Lynne, nice colours and lighting, the reflection could do with looking a little more natural for me, although it fits in with the odd theme though.

Cheers Michael...agree about the reflections , need to twiddle the opacity slider a bit more next time , was a good way to spend a few hours on a very wet new years day though :)

Hi Lynne
Really excellent start, love the colour and texture in there :clap:
I have no idea what it is though, which is a good thing (y)

Thanks Alan......it's a pair of small vase's , placed on a cube with various sliders twiddled to alter the bg color , add some more lighting & a texture thrown in for good measure....not quite sure that's how digital photo see it mind you :D

Looks good to me have you made the reflections in PS?

Hi Craig...the whole thing was done by following a tutorial on a Digital Photo cd...need to lower the opacity on the reflections a bit more....may well try again on a reshoot week :)

And here come the experts :D

Excellent image Lynne, very good (y)

Cheers Phil...but I wouldn't go that far :D

I really like the moody tones in this, it looks like a piece of art instead of a picture. As already said if I had to be picky, slightly more subtle reflection. :clap:Good start!

Agree with whats been said re crit.

A very interesting image, a little abstract, the type of thing you see as a canvas on a wall in a reception.

You can have the honour of my first ever comment.
I really love you shot as has been said great abstract feel to it.
Starting to think I might regret starting this. I cant wait till 2018 when I'm getting shots like that.

I really like the moody tones in this, it looks like a piece of art instead of a picture. As already said if I had to be picky, slightly more subtle reflection. :clap:Good start!

Thanks Adam...agree on the reflection...bound to be a reshoot week when I can try to do better :)

Agree with whats been said re crit.

A very interesting image, a little abstract, the type of thing you see as a canvas on a wall in a reception.

Cheers Mark , too kind.....:love:

I like this! Intriguing and lovely textures. Bang on theme too. Good luck for 2014

Thanks M.....(y)

You can have the honour of my first ever comment.
I really love you shot as has been said great abstract feel to it.
Starting to think I might regret starting this. I cant wait till 2018 when I'm getting shots like that.

Why...thank you Simon........this challenge has bought my photography on in leaps & bounds...also given me lots more grey hair :D

I like the abstract feel of the image, good job on the PP.

Cheers Nick (y)

Excellent idea to use the 52 to try new things - I might just try that myself. I'm not too sure that I'm happy with the reflection being so "sleek" and the original being wrinkled - or is that the oddness of it...:thinking:

Great advice in your opening post, Lynne (y) I allowed myself to be put off by a growing backlog last year and I really shouldn't.

As for your first theme for 2014, I love it! The textures and tones add up to an eye-catching image that really caught and held my eye. I'd love to know more about how you achieved it, and well done on such a strong start.

Excellent idea to use the 52 to try new things - I might just try that myself. I'm not too sure that I'm happy with the reflection being so "sleek" and the original being wrinkled - or is that the oddness of it...:thinking:

Thanks Sarah , reflection comments duly noted ( just had a nother play but couldn't get it right so gave up & saving it for another day :(
That is superb Lynne. Very nice effective shot.

Cheers David (y)

Really like it love the lighting and the creases have created a lot more interest to your picture

Thanks Paul :)

Great advice in your opening post, Lynne (y) I allowed myself to be put off by a growing backlog last year and I really shouldn't.

As for your first theme for 2014, I love it! The textures and tones add up to an eye-catching image that really caught and held my eye. I'd love to know more about how you achieved it, and well done on such a strong start.

Thanks Andrea....the strong start won't last I can assure you :D

I sued a tutorial for Digital Photo mag ( Aug 2013 issue ), the cube & bg are supplied , you put your own images in & then twiddle away using layers , which is something I'm not particularly knowledgeable with so a learning curve for me . Think I may use it again , gotta keep practicing....

& here we go , week 1......strong start went out of the window , back to normality as a bit baffled by the theme .Weather not playing ball today , cloudy raining & blooming chilly !

However , a quick google & got an idea ...what a mare trying to get the symetry right....it's still a gnats whisker out but I'm starting to see wonky so left it alone....

Wk 1 Line
by llj666, on Flickr

& mono was the only way to go outside today :(

everytime I look at it I see the kink in the rh line.......how it doesn't affect the trains I'll never know :)

I think you got the symmetry pretty much spot on. Solid start to the challenge and works very we'll in mono.

It looks pretty good to me, leaves me wondering what's just around the corner...

Hey Lynne :)

That looks good to me, I'd be tempted to clone out the signal with some trees and maybe the RH path as my eyes go down the track then get pulled by them, other than that looks plenty level enough, liking the B&W and again the shiny track curving in the distance (y)

Back