weekly Blondies 2012 52 wk52 BUSY - Finished !

Well done for getting the shot I dislike people togging too thought about it on saturday there was a couple on a bench I started to raise the camera but couldn't do it so.
Some separation would have been nice but the path is a good shape and the exposure is excellent and good use of B+W

I like it - another here that is unsure at taking candid shots, but one subject I would like to do much more of - Nicely caught, like the PP, as said about separation, but the rest of the shot is well composed, great focus on the young couple, I say you did great (y)

Big thumbs up for Friendship....well composed, slight crop from the right the remove the bush, maybe ( I know me and cropping!). Separation between the two couples has been mentioned.

B&w works well, as does the slight vignette.

Good show, lady !!

I'm gonna crop you one day :p I;ve studied that shot for an age now....if I crop the bush out I'll lose some of the curve in the path which I feel will spoil the flow ?

Hi Lynne

Friendship - now that is really very nice. (y)

Like the fact that you have 2 couples (agree that separation might be better but you do have a lot of the back couple showing and one can almost imagine a connection on the theme.) Like the way that the lady in the front couple is looking with interest to one side. Agree with Andy that bush on right could go and would improve. The curve in the path is good capture too.

Cheers mister ...crop the bush , lose the path curve ?

Well done for getting the shot I dislike people togging too thought about it on saturday there was a couple on a bench I started to raise the camera but couldn't do it so.
Some separation would have been nice but the path is a good shape and the exposure is excellent and good use of B+W

Thanks Allan.....gonna keep forcing myself to try candid shots as it's the only way to over come the dislike....:)

I like it - another here that is unsure at taking candid shots, but one subject I would like to do much more of - Nicely caught, like the PP, as said about separation, but the rest of the shot is well composed, great focus on the young couple, I say you did great (y)

Cheers Dean , glad you like it (y)

Week 40 -Change....decided to post SOOC & edited , 2 offerings , this was my 1st plan for the the theme & I suspect a lot of peeps will go for autumnal color change ..

#1 SOOC , high ISO as quite dark & breezy hence slightly oof

Change 2 SOOC by llj666, on Flickr

#1 edited...

Change 2 by llj666, on Flickr

#2 SOOC

Change 1 SOOC by llj666, on Flickr

#2 Edited...not sure but looked more autumnal before I up loaded it to flickr :thinking:

Change 1 by llj666, on Flickr

Last edited:
the fern for me too definitely the edited version not sure how this sooc thing came about don't think its the best idea anyones come up with

'ello. Decisions, decisions....I like #1, nice and close and the changes in the fern leaves works well. I like the low angle and shallow DOF. Crit, procesed is a tad orange, and the white stalk, lower left draws my eye.

Did you use flash?

#2, prefer the composition of #2 but the colours/tones of #1. Again, the processed looks a bit orange :thinking: Are you dead center in this one?

Cheers.

Oh, and I think you need to
crop #1....joking :LOL:

yep I also prefer the unedited fern :)

Hi Lynne,

Friendship, very well seen! I like the path leading you through the shot. I'm not sure about the younger couple, they look a bit grumpy! Personally I would have tried for just the older couple walking away, but you may not have got the chance for that. Love the B&W too (y)

Change, I love the simplicity of the fern shot. The PP'd version has really bought the colour out in the leaf while keeping true to the overall tone of the original. Lovely DOF though producing some great bokeh. Maybe a splash of OCF on the leaf would have helped sharpen it up a touch, I had similar windy issues with my small shot!
I agree with DK about the second shot. The colour of the trees in the SOOC shot has been lost in PP. I would have done two edits then combined the two to get the leaves on the floor orange/ brown but retaining the green leaves still holding on! I wouldn't have cropped it either, but that's just me!

Many congratulations on your POTY win :clap:

blondie606 said:
more than a tad gob smacked about the POTY 2, 1/2 hr to take the shot & process it , 1st time I've won a photo comp so well chuffed & a great prize as well (y)
Oooooo what did you win?

OOo this is going to be tough...

For me I prefer #1 Edit by far, as there seems much more life to it

But #2 not so sure, I keep flicking between the two, I prefer the floor in the edit, but the trees look better in sooc for me :)

Thanks Dean....had a mental picture of what I was trying to achieve...failed !

I agree with all said by DK

As fo the theme , I think that the fern shot is best
Cheers Alan , Think I prefer the fern as well :)

the fern for me too definitely the edited version not sure how this sooc thing came about don't think its the best idea anyones come up with

Thanks AJ...Now..who did come up with SOOC...I wonder....:LOL:

I do like the fern shot. The shallow DoF really makes this one for me.

Thanks Peter (y)

'ello. Decisions, decisions....I like #1, nice and close and the changes in the fern leaves works well. I like the low angle and shallow DOF. Crit, procesed is a tad orange, and the white stalk, lower left draws my eye.

Did you use flash?

#2, prefer the composition of #2 but the colours/tones of #1. Again, the processed looks a bit orange :thinking: Are you dead center in this one?

Cheers.

Oh, and I think you need to
crop #1....joking :LOL:

Cheers Andy...was trying out a tutorial for a different way of editing , not quite go the hang of it as got too much color in there :bonk:

Hiya Lynne, both of the edited shots are looking quite yellow tinted on my screen. The actual pic I prefer is the number 2 sooc.

Cheers Michael...new pp style that I haven't quite got the hang of yet

yep I also prefer the unedited fern :)

Thanks Summer , bit of a divide on this theme me thinks

Change one for me. Love the view.

Thanks robert...it;s a scene I'm gonna try again over the next few months & see if I can get the image thats in my head

Hi Lynne,

Friendship, very well seen! I like the path leading you through the shot. I'm not sure about the younger couple, they look a bit grumpy! Personally I would have tried for just the older couple walking away, but you may not have got the chance for that. Love the B&W too (y)

Change, I love the simplicity of the fern shot. The PP'd version has really bought the colour out in the leaf while keeping true to the overall tone of the original. Lovely DOF though producing some great bokeh. Maybe a splash of OCF on the leaf would have helped sharpen it up a touch, I had similar windy issues with my small shot!
I agree with DK about the second shot. The colour of the trees in the SOOC shot has been lost in PP. I would have done two edits then combined the two to get the leaves on the floor orange/ brown but retaining the green leaves still holding on! I wouldn't have cropped it either, but that's just me!

Many congratulations on your POTY win :clap:

Oooooo what did you win?

Cheers Marsha...I don't have a clue how to combine 2 images in PSE10 , really need to get some lessons !

Really great prize...Photo Triggers kit for shooting water drops......unfortunately I may end up sending it back as can't get my head round the instructions :crying:

Week 41....better late than never...finally got round to processing my shots from last weekend for the theme & thanks to a rain burst this afternoon I've managed to catch up on all the threads...least I think I got all of them done ?

NATURAL...
taken at Clumber park (I seem to be spending way too much time there at the moment)

Natural 2 by llj666, on Flickr

it of a grab shot , full reach on the 150-500 as couldn't get any closer

Natural 1 by llj666, on Flickr

#1 gets my vote Lynne, lovely soft, warm and muted colour tones with great bokeh for the background. Technically perfect too.

#2 is a good photograph its just that for the main subject, the stag, seems a little lost against the background to him is a little busy IMHO

Good catch up though (y)

Iain

blondie606 said:
Cheers Marsha...I don't have a clue how to combine 2 images in PSE10 , really need to get some lessons !

Oh it's actually really easy, open the two shots you want. Copy one and paste it on the other, then use the brush tool (soft edge, reduce the opacity of the brush) and brush out the bits you don't want! But practice lots!

blondie606 said:
Really great prize...Photo Triggers kit for shooting water drops......unfortunately I may end up sending it back as can't get my head round the instructions :crying:

:eek: don't send it back! Google, YouTube and TP will have answers! Otherwise hide it in a box for a month then try it again! Never send it back :bonk: Cracking prize though, I really need to take a peak at the POTY thing for another challenge next year!

Natural, I prefer number one. Nicely lit. Although I think I'd clone out the little white bit just at the bottom to the right of the fungi stalk, and crop/ clone the other little white bit on the trunk to the right! Nice DOF though.
I agree with Iain that the stag is lost a bit in the background and the grass in the foreground is a little distracting for me. I think you needed to ask the other deer to all shift their butts out the way!

I'm liking the sound of Clumber park! I still remember that macro course you did!

Hi Lynne
Sorry not been able to review lately, personal problems meant a back seat for the forum.

Up – Another excellent shot for the theme. Feel as though I’m there. The track takes you through the photo and sheep add further interest
Duo – Both good but think I’ll go against the others and say #2 is my preference. The 1st shot I’m drawn to just off centre, then search left whereas #2 leads nicely through
Flow – #3 is my winner but all have something special. I appreciate the 10 stop gives a nice milky effect and is put to good use here. Just think the flow of water over rocks and to left is better represented in #3. Perhaps it’s just my traditionalist ideas speaking.
Change – Prefer 1st leaf, colour looks more natural, as does the 1st path shot. Leaves on the ground work but need more colour change in the trees. Overall I think the 1st shot is my choice as embodies the season and weather changes.
Natural – Lovely shot of mushrooms. Not seen ones as shiny as these. Colour of bark and BG work well.

#1 is a gorgeous capture of some fungi (not sure what they are exactly). You've handled the exposure really well and love the sheen on the tops. Was this from moisture or was it a natural sheen on them?

#1 gets my vote Lynne, lovely soft, warm and muted colour tones with great bokeh for the background. Technically perfect too.

#2 is a good photograph its just that for the main subject, the stag, seems a little lost against the background to him is a little busy IMHO

Good catch up though (y)

Iain

Many thanks for your comments Iain...glad you like the shrooms , pretty much SOOC for that one :D

I did try giving the stag some direction regards what position I wanted him in....he didn't listen :LOL:

Oh it's actually really easy, open the two shots you want. Copy one and paste it on the other, then use the brush tool (soft edge, reduce the opacity of the brush) and brush out the bits you don't want! But practice lots!

:eek: don't send it back! Google, YouTube and TP will have answers! Otherwise hide it in a box for a month then try it again! Never send it back :bonk: Cracking prize though, I really need to take a peak at the POTY thing for another challenge next year!

Natural, I prefer number one. Nicely lit. Although I think I'd clone out the little white bit just at the bottom to the right of the fungi stalk, and crop/ clone the other little white bit on the trunk to the right! Nice DOF though.
I agree with Iain that the stag is lost a bit in the background and the grass in the foreground is a little distracting for me. I think you needed to ask the other deer to all shift their butts out the way!

I'm liking the sound of Clumber park! I still remember that macro course you did!

Cheers Marsha...I'll give your instructions a go for putting 2 images together..... I'm gonna attempt a play with the photo triggers kit when I feel a little calmer...last week was not a good week workwise ! The shrooms shot is pretty much SOOC , I took the theme to heart & resited cloning out the little white biti ( more shrooms)

A for the stag shot...never work with children or animals...I think thats the saying :LOL:

Hi Lynne
Sorry not been able to review lately, personal problems meant a back seat for the forum.

Up – Another excellent shot for the theme. Feel as though I’m there. The track takes you through the photo and sheep add further interest
Duo – Both good but think I’ll go against the others and say #2 is my preference. The 1st shot I’m drawn to just off centre, then search left whereas #2 leads nicely through
Flow – #3 is my winner but all have something special. I appreciate the 10 stop gives a nice milky effect and is put to good use here. Just think the flow of water over rocks and to left is better represented in #3. Perhaps it’s just my traditionalist ideas speaking.
Change – Prefer 1st leaf, colour looks more natural, as does the 1st path shot. Leaves on the ground work but need more colour change in the trees. Overall I think the 1st shot is my choice as embodies the season and weather changes.
Natural – Lovely shot of mushrooms. Not seen ones as shiny as these. Colour of bark and BG work well.

No worries Alan...really appreciate your mega catch up given you difficult circumstances...thank you (y)

Hi Lynne
Natural - very good shot of mushrooms. Good comp, good colour and super oof b/g. Mushrooms really stand out and eye goes to them immediately.

Stag - as others have said it is just the b/g deer that spoil it.

Ta muchly sp...quite impressed with the shrooms shot myself :)

#1 is a gorgeous capture of some fungi (not sure what they are exactly). You've handled the exposure really well and love the sheen on the tops. Was this from moisture or was it a natural sheen on them?

Thanks Peter.....the sheen I think is natural...they were almost under a tree , eberything surrounding them was dry , not seen that variety before so no idea...might post up in macro section & ask the question

Shrooms for me too - SoooooOOOOooooo shiney :)

Ta DK...glad you like :)

Hi, Lynne, shrooms for me. I wasn't sure about the shine but it's grown on me. Nice and sharp with a real autumnal sense to it. I don't have OCD but the little bit of white at the bottom draws my eye away. :)

The stags aren't too bad, either, just the main one getting a bit lost. Perhaps wait a second or two for the one in the real to shift out of the way.

Cheers.

Age.....better late than never!

Had 2 ideas , failed miserably with both so resorted to this......

Age 2 flipped by llj666, on Flickr

The idea was to show 3 ages of a rose ...unfortunately I'd dead headed the bush about 10 days before the theme was announced so didn't have any really old ones :bonk:

What did I learn....or not as the case was

although I tried my hardest I couldn't keep the bg the same color in each shot even though it was the same bg , same lighting etc .Not sure how to sort that for future shots .

Picassa is a pain in the a***....piknic was a doddle when creating collages as you could move the image withing the frame..not so with picassa..least I couldn't figure it out

I love pp :D

Roses have very pointy thorns...ouch :crying:

To sit back & really think about how I wanted to position the roses so each image was almost identical in angle etc

ta for looking (y)

Last edited:
I had a similar idea for age but took three poor shots of three different flowers at various stages in their lives, obviously they didn't work!
I like this idea better and although you say the BG's are different they look ok to me! I think all three photos are lovely, my only crit is composition and layout! I hasten to add it's mostly an OCD thing! I think all the stalks need to appear at the same point in the shot, two are the same but the bottom right comes up directly out of the corner. There's also no stalk on the shot top right, I think it needs a little! Finally the order seems wrong as it goes anti clockwise, maybe a quick flip to make it go clockwise would work better for my pea sized brain!?

Having said all that, I think all three shots are beautiful!

I had a similar idea for age but took three poor shots of three different flowers at various stages in their lives, obviously they didn't work!
I like this idea better and although you say the BG's are different they look ok to me! I think all three photos are lovely, my only crit is composition and layout! I hasten to add it's mostly an OCD thing! I think all the stalks need to appear at the same point in the shot, two are the same but the bottom right comes up directly out of the corner. There's also no stalk on the shot top right, I think it needs a little! Finally the order seems wrong as it goes anti clockwise, maybe a quick flip to make it go clockwise would work better for my pea sized brain!?

Having said all that, I think all three shots are beautiful!

Thanks Marsha...I knew something wasn't quite right & you hit the nail on the head....I've flipped the image :)
Thats what I mean about picassa...there was some stalk left on the top left image but couldn't move the image once in the collage...& as I managed to loose the originals somehow ( possibly cos I opened them in windows live gallery at some point)I can't re-edit the shot.The BG's are the result of a lot of pp work :bonk:

Nice idea Lynne, works for me.

Thanks Robert (y)

That looks much better (y)

Can't you make a collage in PS elements using layers, resize and the move tool? I'm sure there are some intellects on here that know how to give the drop shadow effect!

Thanks for the idea - you're right , it does look better that way round .. I can't see the wood for the tree's sometimes :bonk:

You still seem to be getting me confused with someone who has half a clue how to work elements :LOL: Only just sussed out how to cut & paste part of an image from one shot to another . PSE 8 had preset collages in it which were great but not so in 10...layers ? resize ?? :eek::LOL:

& whilst I'm on a roll here's my takes on Spread.....

Down at my favorite place again I happened across these & thought , yup , they meet the theme for me :) 1st 2 I'm not sure which version I prefer , the web was a throw away .

Both are chesnuts open & ready to have there seeds Spread by the wind....

Spread 2 by llj666, on Flickr

Spread 1 by llj666, on Flickr

#3...spread of the web..

Spread 3 by llj666, on Flickr

What have I learnt :

The longer I spend getting the shot right the less time I spend in pp -the 1st 2 images have naff all pp , sharpen , crop & thats it

Thinking more about the shot from a composition angle is starting to pay off I think

My tripod can get in to some really weird positions :LOL:

Hi, Lynne, Age, I saw the original and thought I'd commented....I mentioned that a flip would be chronologically better :) and it is. Composition, well crops are fine...and the BG look nice and clean/white. Having the stems comings from the exact same angle would have been good and I would have sssoooo tugged off the lower and left petal to make it cleaner. But that's just me :)

Cheers.

Back