weekly Blondies 2012 52 wk52 BUSY - Finished !

Hi Lynne, Just trying to add a few comments in my spare time.
I like the crop on root, works very well. Likewise handmade #1 is the best, the only thing I can point to is the Rhino tusks seem a bit lost against the spots and neck against the dark wood. Maybe a slight move forward. #2 is a great shot, IMHO a bit of lighting on top of the block base would give depth and would not make the hands float on the rod.

#1 fits the theme so works fine and good to try a different process.

hi Blondie, only just seen all ya pics(there's alot to look through!!) have to say out of all them so far, week 1 is my fav.... I NEED to go there!!!

like your last one on industry aswell:)

the lighting on your last handmade pic, very effective..

Cheers Kirkers....Ladybower is on my list of places to revisit as well (y)

I like the first handmade one best. The lighting is lovely. I'm not so keen on the composition in 2 and 3.

Tahnks HWG...this compostion lark still baffles me !

I quite like the lighting in number two, but I prefer number one(y)

Thanks for popping in (y)

I really like numbers 1 and 2; great lighting. 2 might be better without the heavy block base though?

Cheers SD....done various takes on this image but got soooo frustrated that I could'nt replicate the lighting I sort of forgot about the base...ya could be right about losing it though :thinking:

No1 for me, the light painting is nice.

I'm not sure either the composition or lighting on 2&3 works quiet so well.

Thanks DR....composition :bang:

Handmade, like number 1, no so keen on 2 and 3.

Thanks MM :)

Liking the first shot, well composted and lit nicely.

I can see what you were doing on 2 and 3 but still prefer number 1.

Number 2 could be improved a lot I feel if you square crop it to lose the bottom block and the dark blue section right at the top that's not immediatly obvious as black.

Think #1 is the tops so far...must admit I do prefer it....maybe I need glasses cos I've looked & looked & looked some more & still can't see the dark blue section :bang:

Think #1 is the tops so far...must admit I do prefer it....maybe I need glasses cos I've looked & looked & looked some more & still can't see the dark blue section :bang:

You got me worried there about my own eyesight so went back and had another look and I can definitely see it on my monitor, albeit not easily if you see what I mean. :thinking:

Hiya Lynne, quite like number 1, just think it needs a slight straighten I think. Number 2, I agree this one would good with a square crop.

Cheers Michael...think the squareness( or lack of it) maybe an optical conclusion :LOL: & yup , square crop would probably work better ...

'handmade' No. 1 is very nice and fits the bill which I prefer only just to No 2. Your lighting technique is working nicely for you and looks good against the background.

Thanks Nick...quite enjoy a bit of light painting...just wish I could get the same results each time :bonk:

Hi Lynne. #2 is my favourite - super lighting - and I agree with Michael - I think a square crop might work well.
Mike

Thanks Mike...:)

Hi Lynne I think that it is the first shot for me I love the composition and the lighting! Great job Mrs

Chers matey...think it's my fave as well :)

Hi Lynne, Just trying to add a few comments in my spare time.
I like the crop on root, works very well. Likewise handmade #1 is the best, the only thing I can point to is the Rhino tusks seem a bit lost against the spots and neck against the dark wood. Maybe a slight move forward. #2 is a great shot, IMHO a bit of lighting on top of the block base would give depth and would not make the hands float on the rod.

thanks for popping in Fazer...hmmm...didn't quite nail the lighting as I'd have it ...still , always chance for a reshoot & likewise with the hands...though quite like the floating effect..:)

I actually prefer the 2nd one.. (1st Hand one) I prefer the lighting like that, a real nice image (y)

Thanks DK....appreciate you popping in & glad you like the image (y)

Really like the light painting on the first handmade shot, looks like a wonderful collection you have there :)

Cheers RR...bought a few pieces back from SA & Kenya as momentos....never dreamed they'd feature in a 52 !

#1 fits the theme so works fine and good to try a different process.

Thanks Gramps (y)

Hi lynne ! Your second shot is the one for me. I would crop out the block at the bottom but that's just me. Good shot

Cheers Matey :)

Another good take on the theme loving the 1st shot with the lighting and colours,

Thanks Zeb :)

Hi Lynne
#1 is best for me - seems to fit the theme better. I like the way that they are displayed around the bowl and the bowl itself looks v good. Nice lighting and focus

Thanks SP...apprecaite the comments (y)

Hi Lynne. Another vote for #1 from me. The lighting is spot on, composition is excellent, nice clean, shot and bang on theme too (y)

many thanks Snorton...thanks for popping in (y)

Hi Lynne,

I see you posted the other industry shot.
I hope everyone at that factory is careful, it looks like the chimney is about to fall over from the shot :D:D

It's a shame you couldn't get the background black in the root shot.
I suspect it's because the root was on the black sheet and the flash illuminated it. Try supporting the root on something so it's off the background. Then adjust the flash power so it doesn't reach the BG and/ or change the aperture so the light falls off before it reaches the BG. Any supports you used could easily be cloned out.

You nailed it in the handmade shot though.
The one with the shadow is great.

Hi Lynne,

I see you posted the other industry shot.
I hope everyone at that factory is careful, it looks like the chimney is about to fall over from the shot :D:D

It's a shame you couldn't get the background black in the root shot.
I suspect it's because the root was on the black sheet and the flash illuminated it. Try supporting the root on something so it's off the background. Then adjust the flash power so it doesn't reach the BG and/ or change the aperture so the light falls off before it reaches the BG. Any supports you used could easily be cloned out.

You nailed it in the handmade shot though.
The one with the shadow is great.

Cheers Neil....didn't use flash for the root shot....natural light only :)

Money.....boring shot from me....couldn't find the shot I wanted due to lack of time so settled for this one which I did on my Macro course....2 shots , not sure of either of them but thats probably because , yet again , I wasn't enthused by the theme :crying:

Money 2 by llj666, on Flickr

Money 1 by llj666, on Flickr

On the plus side I did learn stuff on the course which should help me....Live View is a boon for focusing....when using Exp Comp you can see the difference in the live view on the D90 , even when the DOF looks wrong in live view or the view finder it's different when you see the finished shot & a tripod is a must unles the light is really really good ....good fun day & will def use Going Digital again (y)

oh yes...also found out that coins are fiddly little blighters & getting them lined up correctly was a pain in the behind !

Last edited:
Hi Lynne,
I’m just starting to work myself down the spreadsheet and just seen that Alby is having an off week too, and I’m struggling as well with this theme,

Picture 1 works well with the layout you have chosen good lighting and all is sharp, not too sure about the top coin in 2 as it just seems so soft compared to the other shot but I guess it’s the coin not you :LOL:

Hi, there, I've been feeling a little flat lately, not sure if it's the themes or me...I suspect it's me.

Anyway, it's #2 for me, plenty of detail and you've controlled the shadows and lights well.

KC on the coins...assume it's not Kentucky Fried chicken money....:exit:

Hi Lynne

Money - good composition on both. Good lighting and very good background. They are very similar photographically and therefor my choice would be which stands out more and so it would be #1 because the coins look clearer and crisper and I think that the 2 colours work better to harmonise the pic.

I like both, but Im split on a preference, really like the bronze colour coin in both, but the composition of the first image doesn't sit as well as the second, however I prefer the darker tone overall of the first one as I think the light's a little harsh on the second.

Hi Lynne

Money - good composition on both. Good lighting and very good background. They are very similar photographically and therefor my choice would be which stands out more and so it would be #1 because the coins look clearer and crisper and I think that the 2 colours work better to harmonise the pic.

Ditto.... the silver coin in#2 is not quite right , much cleaner in #1.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Lynne,
I’m just starting to work myself down the spreadsheet and just seen that Alby is having an off week too, and I’m struggling as well with this theme,

Picture 1 works well with the layout you have chosen good lighting and all is sharp, not too sure about the top coin in 2 as it just seems so soft compared to the other shot but I guess it’s the coin not you :LOL:

Cheers Zeb.....the top in coin in #2 was a mare...well worn & not particularly photogenic plus don't think the angle help....still learning this macro malarky :)

Hi, there, I've been feeling a little flat lately, not sure if it's the themes or me...I suspect it's me.

Anyway, it's #2 for me, plenty of detail and you've controlled the shadows and lights well.

KC on the coins...assume it's not Kentucky Fried chicken money....:exit:

Hi matey.....is it me or is this challenge harder this year ?? Certainly not getting inspiration like I did last year :crying:

KFC money....:LOL:...got me feeling hungry now !

Lynne....I don't know what is happening to me tonight....must be being in Hobbycraft earlier for my picture.....but picture 1 would have been better made with US cents....why...as it is the Mickey Mouse ears....or at least that is what I see anyway..

:) :)

Thanks FF......laughed out loud at the mickey mouse comment...but you're right...pity I don't have any american money :LOL:

Hi Lynne

Thanks SP...Think I prefer the 1st shot but can see what you mean about the 2 colors....plus I can't see anything but mickey mouse ears each time I look at #1 now :LOL:

2nd one for me Lynne, it gives a great impact, nice sharpness too.

Thanks Michael :)

I like both, but Im split on a preference, really like the bronze colour coin in both, but the composition of the first image doesn't sit as well as the second, however I prefer the darker tone overall of the first one as I think the light's a little harsh on the second.

Thanks Donnie...not the easiest thinkgs to light... played safe & went with natural light which seemed to work ok with a long exposure

I like the second one better. All I can think of with the first is mickey mouse lol. :crazy:

Thanks mister....you n me both for the mickey mouse ears :LOL:

Ditto.... the silver coin in#2 is not quite right , much cleaner in #1.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers Steve...had a quick clean up of the coins but silver one in #2 has seen much better days...very well worn :)

Number 2 for me Lynn, great focus, great lighting and great colours

Thanks MM :)

I like number 2 best as well. I think it's got more interest in he coins than the first one. Great lighting and background.

Re inspiration, I find most of the themes pretty uninspiring on first sight, but it gets better when I try to put them in context. Eg Wrong Direction, Sweet Chilli, Sigh of the Sea, etc etc etc. It doesn't guarantee good pictures, but it does make it more interesting to plan!

Industry - I'm with you - my preference is the colour version between the first two although my vote goes to your other entry posted later

Root - At first I thought it was a tad under exposed and then realised it is about the root so I think it is spot on forom a lighting point of view

Handmade - #2 is superb. I'm loving the the lighting on this Lynne. I can imagine getting this right took quite some time but I feel you've absolutely cracked it.

Money - a vote for #2. The composition works better for me

I like number 2 best as well. I think it's got more interest in he coins than the first one. Great lighting and background.

Re inspiration, I find most of the themes pretty uninspiring on first sight, but it gets better when I try to put them in context. Eg Wrong Direction, Sweet Chilli, Sigh of the Sea, etc etc etc. It doesn't guarantee good pictures, but it does make it more interesting to plan!

Thanks SD.....just generally finding the theme's very ard work this year , use google to find avstract meanigs , look for other images using the theme words but nothings really helping at the mo....I'm sure it'll get better as the year goes on :thinking:

Really like both shots, nice colours on the coins and good focus. The bg makes it work too

Cheers Alex :)

I like both but money 1 pips it for me with the three coins all different metals great well done

Cheers Mister :)

Industry - I'm with you - my preference is the colour version between the first two although my vote goes to your other entry posted later

Root - At first I thought it was a tad under exposed and then realised it is about the root so I think it is spot on forom a lighting point of view

Handmade - #2 is superb. I'm loving the the lighting on this Lynne. I can imagine getting this right took quite some time but I feel you've absolutely cracked it.

Money - a vote for #2. The composition works better for me

Many thanks :)

This is a long'un :
OMG ....WIN....nooooooo....posted the following up in the theme's thread :

So having done a quick google for various meanings of the word ( sad I know ) I'm gonna take a different route...to Win means to succeed.....so I'm gonna have a go at as perfect a macro shot as I can do , using the info I learned last weekend - compostion , control of natural light , color ,focus & DOF - to hopefully produce a shot that needs no PP baring sharpen ( & crop if necessary) . If I post & get lots of good feedback then I will have won the battle .....thats the plan anyway :LOL:

One of the 1st shots taken with my new toy ( D7000) , was a bit nervous having read on this forum about softness & focus issues etc etc...I'm working in the basis that any problems I have are pilot error :D
So bunch of flowers from Asda , set up in the conservatory using only natural light of which there wasn't alot due to the carp weather ! Played around with EXP COMP....even read a bit of the manual ( thats a 1st !) & decided on this:

DSC_0018 by llj666, on Flickr

Have to confess the BG wasn't entirely black so tweaked it in PSE.......& thats another story...just spent 2 hours downloading PSE10 cos 8 won't read RAW files from the D7000:bang:...what the hell....it's only money :eek: Relatively pleased with the outcome ,still struggling with focus a bit , possibly asking the lens to do stuff it's not capable of ?

All in all , for a 1st play with the newbie I think I'm gonna count this as a WIN (y)

Deffinately a win; that's a lovely shot! Great idea for a way to use the theme too!

Deffinately a win; that's a lovely shot! Great idea for a way to use the theme too!

Thanks Mark...have decided there's no point in beating myself up over the theme's.....this week was gonna be a flower....just needed to shoe horn it in to the theme somehow & succeeding with the marco & newbie is def a form of wining :D

Had a play with colors in pp & quite like this one as well....started off orange :LOL:

DSC_0028 by llj666, on Flickr

Hi Lynne, firstly I'm well jealous you've just got a D7000 :razz::razz:, I'm hoping to save and get one later this year.

Now onto your shots....

Money - love both, nice and crisp and sharp, lit well works great with the black background. My personal preference is for the 2nd of the two shots, only because of the difference in the colours in each coin.

Win - great take on the theme and cracking shot to boot too, love it!!!!

Back