Brian of Bozeats '52 for 2016 Week 10: Spikey

Name
Brian (not Jeff)
Edit My Images
No
Hello folks, well here I am back for another year after doing the last 26 weeks of 2015 and a full '52 in 2013 (or was it 2012 :thinking:)

Anyway, my rules are these:

I'm joining in for the FUN of it, I like to shoot each week and I will make an effort to match the themes - but as I have a busy life** these days it might not always possible. If this happens I will play a joker and post my favorite pic from that week.

Regarding comments. I like commenting and I think it is a big part of joining in the spirit of the '52. I will always do my best but I won't worry or do mega catch ups if I miss a week or two, especially during the first couple of months before people drop out (we always lose about 3/4 of the January intake) that's just how it is, sorry If I miss your pic.

All the best and I am looking forward to seeing all the pics for the first Theme.

B. :cow:

**I have to confess that photography is not my main hobby, or my second or third, but you will learn about the others if you follow this thread! :)

Hi Brian. A nice clean, sharp, image Like the bright splash of red and shiny chrome. Makes a great abstract.:clap:

Hiya Brian, great idea for the theme, I like the dof you have shot this image at, pleny of sharpness and i like how the red quick release pops. Good luck completing your 52

Thanks for all the nice comments, it didn't take very long to find an interesting angle, I used the "natural" incandescent light in the hall. Flash just spoiled the effect. Auto WB Andy so I blame Nikon if there's a shift!

RE: the bike. YES I ride this bike (but not as much as I used to) "Kylie" is one of 4. A real work horse this one, my "audax" and ride to work bike with full mudguards and a rack. six years old and If you look carefully you can see the rust in the pivot on the skewer which is annoying. In fact this is the second set of wheels on this bike (replaced about 2 years ago) I wore the first set out at about 6000 miles. Been a bit lazy recently so I moved her out of the garage and into the hall to condition my brain to the idea of a ride to work on Monday morning. It felt like hell! - I'm too fat and a bit out of shape compared to what I once was, regular training should help to sort that out.

I love your intro Brian, I am the same I have many hobbies, some of which will show through in my thread I'm sure. Great start to your 52 with a very striking image :)

Thanks for all the nice comments, it didn't take very long to find an interesting angle, I used the "natural" incandescent light in the hall. Flash just spoiled the effect. Auto WB Andy so I blame Nikon if there's a shift!

...A real work horse this one, my "audax" and ride to work bike with full mudguards and a rack. six years old and If you look carefully you can see the rust in the pivot on the skewer which is annoying...

I'm impressed with how well you must look after your bikes if this is a wheel of a work horse. I started out with good intentions on cleaning my bike when I started commuting but gave up a long time ago apart from a quick go over every now and then.

They say a picture paints a thousand words, but I say that's well spoke ( n )
Sorry :coat:

Nice abstract Brian (y)

Love the abstract - I think a photo is a success if it makes us look at the mundane with interest.

I'm impressed with how well you must look after your bikes if this is a wheel of a work horse. I started out with good intentions on cleaning my bike when I started commuting but gave up a long time ago apart from a quick go over every now and then.

Thanks, I strip and clean/ inspect this bike every time the clocks change, while I have it apart I use car polish on the frame and group-set and it stays pretty clean, but you should have seen the state of my hands after I changed a tube on the way to work this morning! :LOL:

I love your intro Brian, I am the same I have many hobbies, some of which will show through in my thread I'm sure. Great start to your 52 with a very striking image :)

Thank you.

They say a picture paints a thousand words, but I say that's well spoke ( n )
Sorry :coat:
Nice abstract Brian (y)

Oh dear, apology accepted, only just! :D

Love the abstract - I think a photo is a success if it makes us look at the mundane with interest.

Thanks Phil.

Great detail and use of the close crop really draws the eye in. Great colours too, it's almost a sepia background with the grey forks, brushed silver of the hub and black spokes almost being monochrome and the lovely pop from the red bits finishing it off. I think this works very well.

Hi Brian

I wouldn't really have said abstract but if that's what it is, I like it. Great colour, nice 'n clean, nice bit of kit. Oh and nice start to the year.

Great detail and use of the close crop really draws the eye in. Great colours too, it's almost a sepia background with the grey forks, brushed silver of the hub and black spokes almost being monochrome and the lovely pop from the red bits finishing it off. I think this works very well.

Thank you. Probably the nearest I'll ever get to selective colour... :eek:

Hi Brian

I wouldn't really have said abstract but if that's what it is, I like it. Great colour, nice 'n clean, nice bit of kit. Oh and nice start to the year.

Thanks David, I take your point RE: "Abstarct" but what else could I call it? - I got what I was going for whatever it is called. :)

Liking the abstract nature of your shot - good interpretation of theme and well executed; liking the emphasis on line and shape.

Spooks

Week 2: Captive

I liked the look of this from the start, I kept my distance and used a long lens, When I saw it in the viewfinder I immediately thought of the jail on the monopoly board.

Captive.jpg

B. :cow:

A so called dangerous dog behind bars, excellent :D

Nicely done Brian (y)

Wonder who gave him the black eye? Don't blame you for long lens ... even then I'd be wondering if those bars were strong enough. Nice and sharp and ... "like" that menacing look.

Beautiful Staffordshire bull, well framed shot probably one of the friendliest dogs on the planet.(y)

metal - very striking shot I like it.
captive - great shot right on theme

Hi Brian!
Metal - Like it, always like abstract shots like this. Perhaps a different take on it would've been to spin the wheel on a slowish shutter - motion blurs out the spokes, would've enhanced the other metallic parts a bit too!
Captive - Bang on theme - like the cast shadows too. I'd have maybe played around with some B&W conversions on this, but that's just me!
(y)

Back