Brian of Bozeats '52 for 2016 Week 10: Spikey

I like a bit of living world reinforced concrete, but with an expression like that he should be wearing a brown paper bag.

Well spotted. (y)

That's certainly spikey, I wonder if it would look spikier if the focus was on the spines at the top rather than the front of the cactus? It's difficult with shallow depth of field.

I like Cactus's but they hate me, they throw spikes even if I pass within yards of one,
I'm picking a thorn out from that one even as I type :(

Living World - What an amazing find! Love it! :D

Spiky - Nice colourful cactus. Wish the image were sharper but I know how hard it is. I have trouble with getting sharp pictures myself!

Hi Brian, well spotted a primitive cyberman maybe, very funny though

I think someone may have mentioned the focus on the cactus, not sure where I would focus on though difficult thing to capture really, certainly spiky

Last edited:
Living World.......Wow, Brian, how on earth did you even spot that??
Make me chuckle!

Spikey....Fess up....how many times has that jabbed you? :)

Last edited:
Mega catch-up

Dangerous: Great idea and a lovely colourful shot. Should have had the more dangerous 5-rated jars at the front though!

Topical: Obviously no idea what it was about without reading the blurb, but it's topical to you. I realise you were exhausted and bent double but would a shallower DOF have made the legs stand out more?

Living World: Ha! Brilliant. Never thought about personifying a wordly object, what a great idea and what a fun shot.

Spiky: To echo other comments, good subject and not a bad shot but greater DOF and less pot would improve it. I took many (many) different shots of that shell and the inital ones all had shallow DOF, it was only when I increased it that I was happy.

Danger - good take on the theme not my ideas of a good valentines night out.
Topical - good personal take on the theme.
Living world - a fun shot made me smile.
Spiky - sorry I too would prefer to see less pot. But great choice it certainly fits the theme.

Last edited:
Hi Brian, shame you have missed focus but overall on theme for Spiky.

Week 10 Reshoot: Spikey

More of an exercise than anything else. White on white (not pure White cos it always looks dreadful and false) So, not very exiting but I thought I'd upload it anyway as it was shot for the theme.

Week 10 - Spikey-1.jpg

No comment necessary.

Cheers,

B.

No comments necessary but I'm gonna anyway....

I really like your reshoot!
It's so simple, which I love, and the blue really pops.
Focus is good too.
Nice one. :)

It's spikey all right ... I have a similar one of a washing up brush and have it on the subs bench for the mo. Nice sharp detail and wb spot on. :)

Hi Brian, a few to catch up on:

Living world - genius image! I love it and very well spotted. Couldn't care less about the technicals of the photo etc., because as an image it's simply superb :)
Spiky - it's ok but for me, like others, the spines at the top need to be in focus more. It works-ish and as an experiment it's good to try different approaches.
Reshoot - great product shot. Lighting works, focus is spot on and I like the background you've chosen. A tiny spot of blood on the bristles and it'd be perfect for the theme ;)

Hey Brian

Lovely cactus, DOF's a bit shallow but good lighting.

Toothbrush ... excellent. I know what you mean about pure white looking false. Fantastic colour. (y)

Love the reshoot for Spiky great colours stands out from the white BG nicely for me

Back