Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

dave_bass5 said:
For me the canon 100f/2 has been a real eye opener. I can't believe how nice this lens is on my 5D. I don't know what it is about the 5D but it just seems to make using primes a much more enjoyable experience compared to my crop cameras.
I'd love the 85L but I really enjoy how compact the 100 is. I might hire the 85 for my daughters wedding in May.

Ive volunteered to shoot a colleagues wedding in September so am thinking along the same lines. Have two L zooms but no primes. Assisted with a wedding last yr and hired a 14mm which was good for the whole group shot- stood on ladders! But a very extreme wide lens. The 85L as mentioned above is looking a favourite for me.

With all the focus points available do you always have to focus and recompose?
I'm sure some shots dont need it.

I find using all of the focus points a bit clunky to navigate quickly, so usually stick to a few and recompose. It's a habit more than anything, but it works well for me. It's a shame it doesn't magnify to your shot pre recompose, rather than after. Even just a slight move makes the feature a bit redundant.

And i just love the ability to move the focus points when I shoot... And use them all the time. Did you guys try to set the joystick settings? Maybe thats why you don't like to use it? I changed it so now when I move it around the points change quickly without taking my eye from vf.

Yep, as i said i find the joystick method a bit erratic sometimes. Sometimes i find it doesn't go in the direction i want, or that i somehow press down on it by mistake when im actually trying to move it.
What i dont like the most is the fact that you have to half press the shutter button or AF select button first. I'd use it a lot more if i could just move the AF point with it without any other button presses.
Im not really complaining though, its a big step up from my 60D etc.

dave_bass5 said:
Yep, as i said i find the joystick method a bit erratic sometimes. Sometimes i find it doesn't go in the direction i want, or that i somehow press down on it by mistake when im actually trying to move it.
What i dont like the most is the fact that you have to half press the shutter button or AF select button first. I'd use it a lot more if i could just move the AF point with it without any other button presses.
Im not really complaining though, its a big step up from my 60D etc.

Yeah i get what you saying, but it's not a problem for me though. Maybe it's not perfect but pretty good feature and for my use really helpful especially on wide open primes and ai servo :)

Isn't there a customer function that allows direct focus point selection from the joystick.

I'm sure I remember giving that a try on my 7D..?

It only takes a split second to touch the shutter button though & then it's so easy to use the joystick to move the focus points. I do it all the time because I'm not a fan of focus & recomposing. Very quickly it becomes 2nd nature & I actually had to pick up the camera to realise that I do touch the shutter button first.

i havent looked for a while but i think theres a setting so you dont have to press anything 1st

i havent looked for a while but i think theres a setting so you dont have to press anything 1st

Im not sure there is but id love to find one.

I took this on the way home from work today. This was hand held at 1/10. Now i know i made the right choice in keeping with the Tamron and not going for the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 MKII.

The new kids on the block. by dave_bass5, on Flickr

Why? the Canon equivalent is sensational.

Well as per my post, i said why i prefer the Tamron, didn't knock the Canon at all.
In case you missed it the reason was I for one would find it difficult to get many keepers when shooting at 1/10 and below without VC. Maybe its just me though but im happy to have paid a lot less money for something that will give me more keepers.(y)

Last edited:
AHHH IS/VC. i see your point mate

If it wasn't for VC i'd have gone for the Canon without even thinking about it (other than crying over the amount of money it costs).
I was about to give up on the Tamron anyway but after last nights shots ill be sticking with it for a while.

I look forward to seeing some shots when you get back from your trip, that new WA lens is going to work well. (y)

Is that normal for the 16-35? As you may remember I was looking at getting one a while ago before I went with the 35L, but that looks incredibly soft in the bottom corners (can't see the top due to the sky).

Yea it is. when u shoot ultra wide it is a bit soft in corners. it is expected of such a wide angle lens on a FF body.

also shot was tweaked as well. not SOOC

Last edited:
Can i ask if anyone notices a purple patch in the bottom right hand corner of higher ISO shots? Ive been noticing it in dark shots recently and after a quick Google search couldn't find out much, but there is a few mentions about it on POTN, something to do with amp noise i believe.
At first i thought it was light creeping in to the image (not on to the sensor) but ive now seen it in enough shots that i know its camera generated.
It seems to show more when the corner is dark, it sometimes shows at say ISO3200 but much more at the higher ISO's. Not every shot though, in fact not many at all but its definitely there on the right type of shot. Its really only outdoor shots as well for some reason. Exposure does play a part but its definitely not right.

Can i ask if anyone notices a purple patch in the bottom right hand corner of higher ISO shots? Ive been noticing it in dark shots recently and after a quick Google search couldn't find out much, but there is a few mentions about it on POTN, something to do with amp noise i believe.
At first i thought it was light creeping in to the image (not on to the sensor) but ive now seen it in enough shots that i know its camera generated.
It seems to show more when the corner is dark, it sometimes shows at say ISO3200 but much more at the higher ISO's. Not every shot though, in fact not many at all but its definitely there on the right type of shot. Its really only outdoor shots as well for some reason. Exposure does play a part but its definitely not right.

This is what im talking about.
ISO8000. I know thats high but ive seen this at ISO3200 as well.

Fri-15-Feb-9702 by dave_bass5, on Flickr

Anyone notice the sharp increase in price for the imported price of these? Upto 2100 now on digitalrev!

Thanks. It's really just a throw away shot to show the purple corner I've been experiencing but I'm glad you like it.

You sure those purple corners are not reflection lights from the Van itself?

Take another picture at same ISO with no purple lighting as that images I cant fault it to be honest

You sure those purple corners are not reflection lights from the Van itself?

Take another picture at same ISO with no purple lighting as that images I cant fault it to be honest

No, definitely not. I did at first, when I first started noticing it I thought it was light entering the field of view, but I've had other shots where it also shows and there is no way it's stay light.
If anything it's when the corner is very dark, the more light there the less you see it.

dave_bass5 said:
No, definitely not. I did at first, when I first started noticing it I thought it was light entering the field of view, but I've had other shots where it also shows and there is no way it's stay light.
If anything it's when the corner is very dark, the more light there the less you see it.

Show us a another pls. I've not seen these on mine thou

Ok, here's another one. I should point out its not on a lot of shots, far from it, but it is something thats bugging me on some shots. These are very high ISO shots im posting as they show it more but it does appear on ISO3200 very, very occasionally. Its not something i can alway produce either. Its not as if its on every low light shot, and for some reason ive never seen it on a indoor shot, so far.
i-Dt7pdRr-L.jpg

Ive also noticed it on a friends shot as well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcamardo_night_time_photography/8162244316/in/photostream

Ok, here's another one. I should point out its not on a lot of shots, far from it, but it is something thats bugging me on some shots. These are very high ISO shots im posting as they show it more but it does appear on ISO3200 very, very occasionally. Its not something i can alway produce either. Its not as if its on every low light shot, and for some reason ive never seen it on a indoor shot, so far.
i-Dt7pdRr-L.jpg

Ive also noticed it on a friends shot as well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcamardo_night_time_photography/8162244316/in/photostream

Some great shots on your friends stream as well as yours :)

It only seems to be on photos that do have a bit of a blueish light in them elsewhere from what I can see. Does white balance affect it at all?

Edit: sorry I take that back - I can spot it now on one that has very little blue/purple in it

Last edited:
Well I've done a few high iso shoots 10 mins ago 1600 all the way up none got this purple blemish. Can't see import camera makes any difference? Whilst mine is a uk one

I've just taken a few and do get a purple blemish in the bottom right corner on ISO 25600 - hardly there, but I can see it now. It's not on all of them either, though I was trying different ISOs and metering on different areas.
I took them in RAW but when I convert them, it's very hard to see the purple blemish.

Have just put up a thread asking for recommendations for a non-OEM grip for the 5D3. Should probably have asked here on reflection. Any thoughts anyone ?

Regards

Gary

Some great shots on your friends stream as well as yours :)

It only seems to be on photos that do have a bit of a blueish light in them elsewhere from what I can see. Does white balance affect it at all?

Edit: sorry I take that back - I can spot it now on one that has very little blue/purple in it

Thanks for the compliment. Ill pass it on to him.
It is a strange one, I tried DPP again and the shows it far less. White balance does seem to show it up more, but I'm wondering if Lightroom is also doing something to show it more. I have noticed lowering the vignetting slider in lens correction from its default 100 to around 40 helps quite a bit.

Thanks bebop and rookie for trying yours out. Ill wait and see what canon say. I could live with it but would like to try and get the official line on this.
There are a few threads around the Internet about this, both with the MKII and MKIII but most say its a sensor issue and canon can't always fix it 100%.

Back