Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Just thought I would post my finding here.

I have just bought a Sandisk Extreme Pro16GB 160MB/S CF card.

In my 5D MkIII the results were as follows.

All Sandisk 16 GB CF cards

60MB/S Max RAW 13. Frames before FPS slowed 17. Time to clear buffer to Max RAW of 13 again 5.5 secs.

90MB/S Max RAW 13. Frames before FPS slowed 21. Time to clear buffer to max RAAW of 13 again 4.0 secs.

160MB/S Max RAW 13. Frames before FPS slowed 25. Time to clear buffer to max RAW of 13 again 3.25 secs.

Last edited:
Made a huge mistake. Went into John Lewis and handled the Mk3 for the first time. What a mistake to make! Will now be buying one very shortly.

Made a huge mistake. Went into John Lewis and handled the Mk3 for the first time. What a mistake to make! Will now be buying one very shortly.

i ddnt even get to handle the 5d and after handling the 6d i broke a week later and hit the savings and ended up walking out with a 5d go figure ?

stunning camera and im sure you will be very happy

Just thought I would post my finding here.

I have just bought a Sandisk Extreme Pro16GB 160MB/S CF card.

In my 5D MkIII the results were as follows.

All Sandisk 16 GB CF cards

60MB/S Max RAW 13. Frames before FPS slowed 17. Time to clear buffer to Max RAW of 13 again 5.5 secs.

90MB/S Max RAW 13. Frames before FPS slowed 21. Time to clear buffer to max RAAW of 13 again 4.0 secs.

160MB/S Max RAW 13. Frames before PFS slowed 25. Time to clear buffer to max RAW of 13 again 3.25 secs.

so the 90mbs are the best value for money looking at that

I didnt see that, will check now :)

how many pictures does the 16bg card give in raw ?

Last edited:
5d3 , what a camera. did a proper photo shoot for a client and most of the images only need a minor bump in PP.
This is something I've definitely found since using the Mkiii, it seems to take much less time for me to get an image 'finished'. Whether this is a general Canon thing I'm not sure, but I certainly spend less time PPing images now than when I shot with Nikon.

This thread was opened Apr 2 last year. I am wondering if anyone has moved on from the 5d mk3 and if so, why?

The only camera I'm considering is the 1DX. But it would be in place of my MkIV not in place of the 5D3. Lets face it what would be a step up other than the 1DX.

Last edited:
This thread was opened Apr 2 last year. I am wondering if anyone has moved on from the 5d mk3 and if so, why?

I've kind of moved on, I've still got my 5D3 and still use it for some jobs, mainly long exposures, but my main tool now is a medium format digital back.

Although it is the same resolution as the canon it has no AA filter so files are sharper straight out of the camera, it has a greater dynamic range, files are 16 bit native so you can push and pull them more and finally I can use it on a variety of cameras, including a Mamiya 645 AFDii which is just like using a big SLR, and a linhof Technikardan view camera which gives me movements which far surpass those on my 24mm TS-E. Finally the files have a certain something, a film like smoothness which you don't get with the smaller sensor cameras like the 5D3, maybe it's the lenses, I don't know but there is definitely something special, like the difference between listening to vinyl and a CD. Sensor cleaning is a breeze.

The downsides are native ISO is 25 so everything is a long exposure, but a 32 second exposure limit. No high ISO, no liveview or on screen level and the LCD display is like an SLR from 10 years ago.

As I say I still use my 5D3, and it always brings a smile to my face, it is just such a good camera.

Just joined the 5d mkiii club this weekend :LOL: First impressions, fantastic, low light is amazing. The shutter sounds so much quieter. I'm still struggling with the half push on the shutter release, compared to the mkii it's way more sensitive. Can't wait until I've a few days off to give it a good try out. Now I just have to move on my 5D mkii and 5D classic, plus my Fuji X10, it's getting beyond a joke! can't seem to let cameras go! especially the 5D mki, it's a fantastic camera.

Nice one, welcome aboard.

I know,what you mean about keeping hold of previous cameras. My plan was to sell my 60D when I got my MKIII, I never did. I didn't use it, but couldn't let it go. I did eventually, a year later, but only as a swap for a 650D (mainly for my sons to mess around with).

I've started to feel a bit disappointed with low light performance recently. Maybe it's because we have just gone in to the darker days and I haven't been doing much low light shots during the summer. It's not that it's not good, just that I'm getting a bit complacent about it and not making enough effort to get it right. I've also noticed I'm getting that purple,corner a bit more than I have been, but I think that's down to LR's lens correction more than anything else.

On a positive note, I'm hoping to pick up a Canon 35mm f2 IS this week. Ive been enjoying using my 40mm f2.8 over the weekend, it's made a nice change from my heavy 24-70, but it's a bit slow to focus, and I could really make good use of IS

I got my first Tamron 24-70 from Panamoz. Fantastic customer service when i returned it, although I don't think they as reputable as some of the other places.
I'd happily buy smaller items from them, but after they almost disappeared a while ago, and their prices rocketed I'm not sure I'd spend too much now.

I bought mine from Jessops, came with a BG-E11 grip and Lightroom 5 and Photoshop Elements 12. Its exactly the same price from every retailer in the UK atm. I was only after I'd bought it I saw PC world are giving a two year warranty. I've bought my mkii and 7D from HDEW, but the 7D came with one of those stupid far east two pin charger with an adaptor (which I wasn't happy with) but I got it at a good price. This time I decided to buy UK stock, it was almost a couple of hundred quid more expensive, but at least I got the 2 adobe packages throw in which probably would have cost the best part of £200 ?

I Had mine from jessops as above with lr5 and elelents with a free grip thrown in also. it was only a couple hundred more than kerso and that to me seemed worth it withe the extras thrown in

I've kind of moved on, I've still got my 5D3 and still use it for some jobs, mainly long exposures, but my main tool now is a medium format digital back.

Although it is the same resolution as the canon it has no AA filter so files are sharper straight out of the camera, it has a greater dynamic range, files are 16 bit native so you can push and pull them more and finally I can use it on a variety of cameras, including a Mamiya 645 AFDii which is just like using a big SLR, and a linhof Technikardan view camera which gives me movements which far surpass those on my 24mm TS-E. Finally the files have a certain something, a film like smoothness which you don't get with the smaller sensor cameras like the 5D3, maybe it's the lenses, I don't know but there is definitely something special, like the difference between listening to vinyl and a CD. Sensor cleaning is a breeze.

The downsides are native ISO is 25 so everything is a long exposure, but a 32 second exposure limit. No high ISO, no liveview or on screen level and the LCD display is like an SLR from 10 years ago.

As I say I still use my 5D3, and it always brings a smile to my face, it is just such a good camera.

Mark hi, I have a 645 AFD, which back are you using and what did it cost (if you dont mind me asking).
I remember the feeling I got when I went 645 from 35mm film, sounds very similar to what you have experienced digitally. :)
Matt

Mark hi, I have a 645 AFD, which back are you using and what did it cost (if you dont mind me asking).
I remember the feeling I got when I went 645 from 35mm film, sounds very similar to what you have experienced digitally. :)
Matt

I use a Leaf Aptus 22 which is very nearly full frame 6x4.5 so lenses work as they should. IIRC it was 2 and a bit grand, off here, earlier in the year.

Nice one. It certainly made a difference to my shooting habits, although im not sure if the results were much better ;-)
Yep, same batteries as the MKII.

Ive been using my new 35mm f/2 IS all week, i really love this lens. Its almost making me re think if i need to keep my 24-70 f/2.8 MKII, although i expect i will.
Ive had good results shooting at 1 sec hand held. As good as the high ISO noise is on this camera the lower the ISO number the better as far as im concerned, especially when shooting at night.

Looking for a 50mm Prime to put on the 5d mkiii without having to spend 1k on the canon 1.2
Wondered if anybody had shot with the Sigma 1.4

I've never tried the Sigma, I've heard good things about it though. I have a Canon 50mm f/1.4 that I very rarely use. It's one of those lenses that I've never bothered to get rid of as Im sure it might come in handy one day.
Since getting my first, and only FF camera last year it's had more use as I feel it performs much better on my 5D than it ever did on my crop cameras.
I have heard that Canon are brining out a new f/1.8 version early next year with IS on it. Think I'll have a serious look at that when it does come out.

Cheers Dave for the reply
Interesting to hear about the IS 1.8. May just hang on a while.

Looking for a 50mm Prime to put on the 5d mkiii without having to spend 1k on the canon 1.2
Wondered if anybody had shot with the Sigma 1.4
The Canon 50mm f1.4 is a lovely lens, you can pick a decent one for £200 ish, in fact I think I spotted one one here for under 200 !

Thanks Jim for the info
The reviews I have seen put the Sigma f 1.4 ahead of the Canon f1.4 both on build quality and Bokeh .

Thanks Jim for the info
The reviews I have seen put the Sigma f 1.4 ahead of the Canon f1.4 both on build quality and Bokeh .

Not quite 5D mk3 related but I had both a Canon 50mm 1.4 and the Sigma equivalent. Build quality was similar on both but the Sigma disappointed on IQ. I took identical shots one lens immediately after the other with my 6D.The contrast and colour reproduction was much poorer with the Sigma than the Canon. Shots with the Sigma needed a lot more pp, they looked dull and flat before adjustment in ACR. They were also noticeably less sharp.

Interestingly the Sigma was slightly wider. Strange as they are both 50mm. Go figure.

I agree with the comments regarding the Canon 50mm f1.4, really nice saturated photos, and to me the bokeh is pretty much perfect. I've only owned one Sigma lens a 10-22mm DG lens, it was a well built lens, but suffered from focus issues, I've since learned this is a common problem with Sigma.

Back