Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

How long? I guess it will not be available this year, maybe in the middle of 2016.

I wouldn't change my 5DIII to a 5DsR for free. In my opinion that 50 MP are simply pointless.

Regarding the 1DX the 5DIII is the second best DSLR Canon has currently to offer.
I agree. I'd hate to have to process the files from one of them bad boys. I've had the 5D3 for a little over a month now and all I can think of is 'why the hell didn't I upgrade from my 60D before' I know there was a reason, but I can't for the life of me think what it was.

Although I do have a question. Is there anyway of changing the auto ISO ceiling when a flash is on the camera? I had a situation the other day where my ISO was at 400 (max'd out), and I needed a wide aperture of f2.8 which gave me a shutter speed of 1/30th or thereabouts. A high shutter speed would have given a stronger flash power i know, but that would have completely darkened the background out. :confused:

changing the auto ISO ceiling when a flash is on the camera
As far as I know, no there isn't. You'll have to choose the ISO by yourself. When I'm using a flash, I do it in M-Mode with ISO set manual too, even if it's an e-ttl flash.

The 5D3 is very silent in silent mode. I always work with that, except I need a fast frame rate, which is very very rare.
When I press my shutter button, I want people to know I spent £2k+ on a camera. :D

If there's a sound the camera can produce, I want it on.

Same as the reassuringly expensive sounding clunk the doors of my Jag make...

Has anyone had the same issue as myself when using an Eye-Fi Pro X2 card...

I have to set it to 'transfer' every time I turn the camera on, turning the camera off seems to reset the setting back to the default :banghead:

Has anyone had the same issue as myself when using an Eye-Fi Pro X2 card...

I have to set it to 'transfer' every time I turn the camera on, turning the camera off seems to reset the setting back to the default :banghead:

What about using one of the custom function menus saved mode (i.e. C1, 2 or 3 on the dial)

Hi everyone.. Can I join in here? Had mine for a few months :D
Hi Naz - it's a cracking camera - have fun :)

Yesterday was my first attempt at bird photography - Puffins on Skomer Island.
All I can say is that it is much harder than it looks; especially getting a bird in flight with a 400mm lens!

My BIF shot....
20150714-142452-I39A1443-L.jpg

Cliched Puffin with Sand Eels - but this one is mine and was on my bucket list of shots for the day :)
20150714-115907-I39A1275-L.jpg

Love the last one... How long do the puffins remain in the Farne Islands? I can't get there until the end of August.

Puffins are getting ready to leave. Chicks are quite big. Think the all day boat trips only run till the end of July then you can't land on the islands. They are owned by National Trust who apparently withdraw their staff after the breeeding season.

http://www.farne-islands.com/trips/birdwatch.htm

April to July is when the boats run so you'll have difficulty getting out there, although there are other trips that run round the islands. Puffins are mainly on Staple, and Terns on Inner Farne.

How funny. I got back from Skomer on Saturday :) I found the puffins in flight very challenging also. I was wishing I'd taken my 70-200 2.8 lens as I seemed to have more success with my 100-400 around the 200 mark. I didn't get any in flight with sand eels :( This was taken early on Saturday morning.

View attachment 42180

Mine arrived almost three weeks ago whilst I was travelling for business.

Spent a bit of time on Saturday afternoon playing around - general controls are familiar coming from a 7D, but the menu's, nuances of the AF and customisation will take some time. Image quality is a step forward, declared happy.

What wide lens do you guys use or would recommend? In my kit I currently hv 50 1.8 85 2.8 24-105 f4 and the 70-200 f4. I need a wider focal length. Canon has 2 super wide the 10-22 and 10-18 but I think they are for crop? The other option is the 16-35? How about the sigma or Tamron? I done some research but can't make up my mind which one. Just wanted to see what others uses. I shoot mainly portrait and events. Thx all.

Hi Naz,
Ultra-wide lenses tend to result in unflattering portraits - unless you intentionally want that crazy distorted look.
But for events they make a lot of sense.
Yes - the two lenses you mention are EF-S which only work on crop sensors.
The 17-40 and 16-35 are both good lenses, and if budget allows then the 16-35 IS would be my choice; no experience with the 3rd party lenses.
There is also the new 11-24 which is getting stellar reviews, but at a price.
For my wide angle shots I'm using an 8-15 fisheye. 8mm gives whacky images that really stand out, but most of the time I use it at 15mm. It doesn't have the stretched corner look of the recti-linear lenses mentioned so far, which is great; but the trade off is curved lines; I do occasionally de-fish the images in post processing. It's a good compromise and it suits my style.

Thx Duncan. Not gonna do portraits with the wide was just mentioning that's what I use my gears for sorry. I need the extra wide for events and wedding group photos. I actually did see that fish eye and looked at some photos on Flickr pool. I think I would not need wider than the 15 mm so Im kinda leaning towards that. I do some landscape in my spare times although I need lots more practice. Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.

I've been reading reviews for a while and I plan to pick up the Tamron SP 15-30 2.8, which is getting good write ups.

I did see this as well seahorse. I would not mind having a 2.8 with that focal length. I

2.8 with image stabilisation was the deciding factor for me.

I am about to become a member of this very exclusive owners thread. I have a Canon 7D2 that I use for Wildlife photography and I am about to buy a 5D3 early next week. The main use will be Macro, Landscape and Street. I can't wait to see if I am worthy of this camera.

Keith you will love it. Has mine a few months now having previously had a 5d mk1 a few years back. Its a cracking piece of kit. I have just aquired a minty fresh used Canon grip for mine in the last couple of days. I really like the fact the grip has the joystick build into it and it helps a lot to balance the longer lenses when attached.

Let us know how you get on. I use mine for almost exactly the same uses as you do.

Reactions: KAS
Just a heads up to anyone looking for a 5D3, ill be selling mine with a load of L glass shortly, macro flash, triggers, 600EX flashes and loads of bits......

Just a heads up to anyone looking for a 5D3, ill be selling mine with a load of L glass shortly, macro flash, triggers, 600EX flashes and loads of bits......

Thanks for the heads up, just got to get my post count up again to see the classifieds!! :D

Fab camera use mine for weddings and landscape but quite heavy for tourist type stuff

Agree but I don't help myself with the weight of my kit in my hand, as I add some large glass & a grip. lol

Tourists wouldn't have large glass on it. I mean I have the sigma 150-600mm I wouldn't walk around the streets with it on. I brought a new battery grip for my 7D2 and found it too heavy even with a monopod and it now sits at home and I carry spare batteries. It will come in handy if I ever inherit loads of AA batteries.

I agree that a 150-600mm lens is not exactly a walk about lens but I do put my sigma 120-400mm with grip on my camera to get some 'candid' shots from a distance when walking the streets.

I agree that a 150-600mm lens is not exactly a walk about lens but I do put my sigma 120-400mm with grip on my camera to get some 'candid' shots from a distance when walking the streets.

I use a nifty or my sigma 18-250mm which is quite small but I'm not happy with the lens. I buying either the Canon 24-70mm or 24-105. This photography gameis getting real expensive lol.

I buying either the Canon 24-70mm or 24-105. This photography gameis getting real expensive lol.

Getting? lol

Tbh the 24-105/4 is a great lens, I also have the 24-70/2.8-2, it's sharper, faster, but does not make my shots "better" in the quest for "better" I got the mk2, however real world the 24-105 was fine and they extra reach is handy if taking just one lens out into the field. Now out of principle I always mount the 24-70, it is however a truly beautiful lens and well worth the money. I enjoy both. Also cheaper to drop the 105 haha

lol, photography is not a cheap hobby.
As for lenses 25-105mm is my everyday walk around lens & I love it.
Also looking at a Tamron 24-70mm as an alternative to the Canon

Anyone care to explain whats going on with live view and my histogram when framing up and taking a shot, I have noticed when using a higher f-stop like f16 in live view that when I press the dof preview button the lcd goes brighter and the histogram shift a little to the right.

Edit: figured it out, I had highlights preview turned on. :p

Last edited:
Help! I thought I knew my 5d3 until today when surfing images that should have been cracking were disappointing... Can anybody suggest

A- the Correct Autofocus settings for a shooting a surfer including the AF case they would use

B- Birds in flight including the AF case

I am sure someone will say get a 7D2 or 1DX but that's not an option!

Might be going to the Farne Islands tomorrow so PLEASE someone out there put me out of my misery.

Last edited:
Back