Canon EOS 7D Owners Thread

Last edited:
Er, take photos with both lenses and see if there's any difference?

Doh!
never thought of that!

What I really meant was are there any test charts I could print out and use, for example for using the micro-adjust feature. Rather than just photographing brick walls and such.

michael23 said:
Anyone here gone from a 50d to a 7d? How much better is iso 3200 and upwards?

I have both and I'd say 50D isn't noticeably behind the 7D in noise levels. It's the AF and general usability that wipes the floor with the 50D.

There has been a lot of talk about the pros and cons of JPEG versus RAW on this and other 7D forums and I was wondering which RAW setting everyone used. RAW large, medium, or small. :)

I use the largest RAW and JPEG settings available and shoot both JPEG & RAW. Yes that produces 20mb RAW files but I've never had space issues.

I never shot in RAW when I first got my DSLR in 2008, now I go back to edit those early shots and really notice the limitations!

I have no need for 18 MP for my photography, but in tests I've performed comparing the raw formats I've felt there was a little more IQ when using Lightroom to resize the larger files rather than start with a smaller file to begin with. There 's also the consideration of wanting to make big crops when focal length limited, or simply wanting to generate more than one composition from a single photo. My shooting is just to varied to take the risk of losing detail I might need later. For those reasons I stick with full size raw all the time.

If you have total control of your shooting environment and can fill the frame then a smaller raw file size might be plenty good enough. Also, if shooting at high ISO - 6,400 and higher, such as with indoor sports - then there is the argument that the detail is simply not there at the pixel level to make full size raw files worthwhile, in which perhaps a smaller raw format makes sense.

The best thing to do is to try your own tests at high, medium and low ISO and see what works for you, your workflow, your hardware and your software..

Marsha, you say you use both RAW & JPEG, but do you delete one when you have decided which one to keep?

I have just done a quick test using both and on my laptop screen, I can see very little difference between them. Of course you do have the extra information with the RAW file for post processing.

I recently upgraded to a 7D from a 450D and always shot in RAW, but with the 7D I can see very little difference, unlike with the 450D.

Doh!
never thought of that!

What I really meant was are there any test charts I could print out and use, for example for using the micro-adjust feature. Rather than just photographing brick walls and such.

I looked at the Spyder Lenscal, got a cereal box, a 45* set square with a ruler attached & bulldog clipped the ruler to the 45* section, presto, supercheap Lenscal!
You can then play with the micro adjust to your hearts content:D

killwilly said:
Marsha, you say you use both RAW & JPEG, but do you delete one when you have decided which one to keep?

I have just done a quick test using both and on my laptop screen, I can see very little difference between them. Of course you do have the extra information with the RAW file for post processing.

I recently upgraded to a 7D from a 450D and always shot in RAW, but with the 7D I can see very little difference, unlike with the 450D.

I keep both until I've 'processed' the RAW file then I delete the original JPEG file and store the CR2 or RAW files depending on what I've done to them!

I seriously need to sort out my filing system though!

The goblin said:
I keep both until I've 'processed' the RAW file then I delete the original JPEG file and store the CR2 or RAW files depending on what I've done to them!

I seriously need to sort out my filing system though!

Just interested, but what's your reasoning behind shooting both raw and Jpeg if you end up editing the raw file( and I assume then converting to tiff or jpeg) and deleting the original jpeg?

It's just a fail safe in case I lose the ability to edit RAW shots. And before I got a plug in for my PC I couldn't see the RAW images unless I opened bridge or each individual file in photoshop both of which were time consuming! My new faster PC has solved this.

I could probably use the software with the camera but I've just never installed it!

Congrats to the new 7D owners. :)

Here's one from a couple of days ago ...

Very quick (total 7D newbie) question if I may guys, sure it's very basic but I've just got the camera...

When I shoot in live mode I see the image I've taken show up on the display however when shooting in 'non live mode' IE through the shutter the picture that displays on the screen is totally black.

Any ideas?

I looked at the Spyder Lenscal, got a cereal box, a 45* set square with a ruler attached & bulldog clipped the ruler to the 45* section, presto, supercheap Lenscal!
You can then play with the micro adjust to your hearts content:D

Good idea! Will be trying that out as soon as the house calms down after the festivities of christmas. Cheers

Spiders are popular, took this day before I got my 7D on a 60D with 100mm macro. I hate spiders took loads of courage to get this AND edit it!!
spider002.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea! Will be trying that out as soon as the house calms down after the festivities of christmas. Cheers

If you try my cereal box trick, put the box half way up the ruler & focus on the box near the ruler. Lens wide open for smallest DOF. Probably not a great explanation but let me know if you want a pic to see what I mean ( or look for Lenscal instructions on the net) (y)

I'm about to order my 7D and am hesitating about which 70-200 f2.8 zoom. My budget (around 1k) will allow the Tamron or Sigma stabilised, or the Canon unstabilised. Use will be mainly events such as concerts, sport etc. Would welcome some advice.

Walkabout lens is the Canon EF 24-85 f3.5 which I've had for nearly 20yrs.

Canon ! Ive got the 2.8 IS. WHAT A CRACKING LENS

Chataigner said:
I'm about to order my 7D and am hesitating about which 70-200 f2.8 zoom. My budget (around 1k) will allow the Tamron or Sigma stabilised, or the Canon unstabilised. Use will be mainly events such as concerts, sport etc. Would welcome some advice.

Walkabout lens is the Canon EF 24-85 f3.5 which I've had for nearly 20yrs.

Get a 2nd hand Canon f2.8 IS from the classified section here - will be within your budget and the best of the bunch

What seems to be the best remote shutter release for the 7d peeps as i found out last night my 350d one doesnt fit lol so is infra red or wired the best option ????

Going to start shooting in Raw on my 7D after reading the previous page.
Used to go for Raw in my Nikon days, but never went for it since I got my 7D over a year ago.

Also finally updated my firmware months behind everyone else.
It wasn't particularly difficult, but Canon could easily make the experience a lot more user friendly.

What seems to be the best remote shutter release for the 7d peeps as i found out last night my 350d one doesnt fit lol so is infra red or wired the best option ????

I have a wired one and a giga t pro 2
http://www.jessops.com/online.store...l-_-all&ovc=&gclid=COC84vOTyLQCFSTLtAodH0sAlA
The version 2 has a power off
But it's up to you if you will be near the camera then wired is fine
If you want to set it up in a fixed position and don't want to disturb subject or camera shake then Wireless

There are cheaper ones than jessops

Last edited:
The Canon wired remotes are very simple. The versions you can get on EBay are a lot cheaper and just as good.

The Canon wired remotes are very simple. The versions you can get on EBay are a lot cheaper and just as good.

I don't need to use one very often, so got a cheap one off eBay.
Obviously cheap plastic, but works perfectly.

I got an RC-6 off of Ebay for about £12 when I had my 450D and it still works with my 7D.

In 2sec/10sec delay mode with the switch set to 2 the timer works as expected, switching to the spot on the remote and yo get instant shutter. In bulb mode it's one click to open, second to close shutter.

Having a bit of a dilemma... i was set on getting a D7000, but after playing with a 7D in a shop earlier i'm beginning to lean towards the Canon.

I current own a bridge camera, so i have no current lenses to consider, i'll be starting from fresh. I'm under no illusion that it will be a huge jump up from a bridge camera, but i know i would get bored of a entry level DSLR very quickly, IMO it isnt much more than what i've currently got. Im looking at it as a long term investment.

The 7D's FPS, processing power, all mag body and advanced FS is all very appealing. Haven't held a D7000 but the 7D felt great to hold, i was extremely impressed with the built quality, it was outstanding.

Motorsports is one of the many things i'll be using it for, the 7D is ideally suited to such tasks.

Got another 2 weeks until pay day to decide which one to go for... decisions, decisions....!

Back