Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I don’t have a lot of canon lenses but not the canon 300 f4. All the lenses AF performs very well if not better with the canon R series. For birds in flight it’s much easier now you only need to get the bird somewhere in the frame and the AF does the rest...that maybe a small exaggeration but not much.

I managed to get the loan of a friends 70-200mm and got these photos with my newly acquired R6 this afternoon. Loving the Eye AF capabilities. Still a long way to go before I am as comfortable with using it as my Nikons. One thing I notice is that you can't use the viewfinder when you have the articulated display orientated for low level photography which makes switching between the two types of photography a little slower than with my z6. I'm sure there are many pros though - the AF definitely being one of them!!

AF8A1243 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1233 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1181 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1134 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1309 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Last edited:
I managed to get the loan of a friends 70-200mm and got these photos with my newly acquired R6 this afternoon. Loving the Eye AF capabilities. Still a long way to go before I am as comfortable with using it as my Nikons. One thing I notice is that you can't use the viewfinder when you have the articulated display orientated for low level photography which makes switching between the two types of photography a little slower than with my z6. I'm sure there are many pros though - the AF definitely being one of them!!

AF8A1243 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1233 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1181 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1134 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1309 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
With the R5 you can choose viewfinder, screen or automatic switching between the two. In the menu it's the third settings menu. Could be the same for the R6?

With the R5 you can choose viewfinder, screen or automatic switching between the two. In the menu it's the third settings menu. Could be the same for the R6?

With the display flat on the back of the camera facing outwards the switching between evr and display works as you would expect however when you twist the display outward so that the display is orientated for taking photo at ground level in landscape, bringing the camera back up to your eye doesn’t switch to evr anymore. It appears you need to fold the screen back in first. A small inconvenience I know but I do like to switch between the two methods rapidly sometimes when shooting wildlife.

I haven’t delved into the settings yet, but I’m assuming that it must be in automatic switching already for it to switch between the two automatically with the display folded away and facing outward? I wonder if assigning a button to force it into evr manually when the display is folded outward for low level photography is possible. That would be quicker and probably safer than twisting and manipulating the display in a rush for these action shots where you suddenly want evr

Last edited:
Thanks. 200mm f2

Bit off topic. But what method do you use to carry your 200mm around when you’re out shooting with it?

I find the cases for these big whites a tad too ‘impractical’ - and would prefer a decent bag to lug it around in if I knew of a good one.

The 200 is not very big and fits in my smallest backpack. For the bigger ones I’m using lowepro flipside 500.

Bit off topic. But what method do you use to carry your 200mm around when you’re out shooting with it?

I find the cases for these big whites a tad too ‘impractical’ - and would prefer a decent bag to lug it around in if I knew of a good one.

Just a standard backpack. With the lens hood reversed it’s not that large. It’s heavy though and when it out I’m holding it by the tripod foot between shooting

The 200 is not very big and fits in my smallest backpack. For the bigger ones I’m using lowepro flipside 500.
Just a standard backpack. With the lens hood reversed it’s not that large. It’s heavy though and when it out I’m holding it by the tripod foot between shooting

Thanks very much both of you for the replies.

I’ll have to check out a few backpacks and do a bit of research... :D

I’ll often attach a monopod to the foot and carry by holding the foot and monopod together. For me, it feels more secure than holding by only the foot.

I’ll often attach a monopod to the foot and carry by holding the foot and monopod together. For me, it feels more secure than holding by only the foot.

Do you still have the original Canon tripod foot on yours, Tim?

I’ve seen aftermarket ones like really right stuff being mentioned quite often, and people say it’s a much better option than the standard one.

Do you still have the original Canon tripod foot on yours, Tim?

I’ve seen aftermarket ones like really right stuff being mentioned quite often, and people say it’s a much better option than the standard one.
I'm using it with the original canon foot. It's one of my favorite lenses, especially for stage events and indoor sport, things which thankfully are starting up again at last.

Can I ask if the canon test drive is simple to use? I’m thinking of booking the R6 and 24-105 over the bank holiday weekend as I’d like to try the R6 out to see if handling/ergonomics suits me well. My main use would be landscapes and wildlife.I’m mainly thinking the R6 due to price but the R5 is tempting too.

How does returning the kit work? Do you send back via RMSD or is it via a pre booked collection?

Can I ask if the canon test drive is simple to use? I’m thinking of booking the R6 and 24-105 over the bank holiday weekend as I’d like to try the R6 out to see if handling/ergonomics suits me well. My main use would be landscapes and wildlife.I’m mainly thinking the R6 due to price but the R5 is tempting too.

How does returning the kit work? Do you send back via RMSD or is it via a pre booked collection?

They send it via courier and is collected via the same courier. They supply labels, bags etc.

Very easy to use.

They send it via courier and is collected via the same courier. They supply labels, bags etc.

Very easy to use.
Sounds good. Better than just trying it out in the shops then. As it’s a BH I’d get 3 days hire for free but I have the vaccination booked for the Sunday so at worst I’d get the Saturday to try it out.

Sounds good. Better than just trying it out in the shops then. As it’s a BH I’d get 3 days hire for free but I have the vaccination booked for the Sunday so at worst I’d get the Saturday to try it out.

You may be lucky, I just had a sore arm for a few days with both mine ... although the wife would say I was moaning that much you would have thought my arm had fallen off.

I test drove that exact same combo as well (if it's the F4L you're after). It is also worth noting that I think they pretty much always arrange delivery a day early so you would likely have it all day Friday as well just in case the vaccine wipes you out.

I test drove that exact same combo as well (if it's the F4L you're after). It is also worth noting that I think they pretty much always arrange delivery a day early so you would likely have it all day Friday as well just in case the vaccine wipes you out.
It is the f4 version of the 24-105 I’m thinking of. Unfortunately they don’t have the 70-200 f4 available to try on those dates.

I’ve not yet booked the trial as I’m looking at reviews and reading up on the differences between the R5 and R6. I’m wondering if I make the change if I’d be better to go for the R5 for the extra cropping of the 45MP sensor and better detail for landscapes.

I think for the trial I will go for the R6 as the handling is probably similar and I don’t want to fall in love with EVF of the R5. Both look to be great cameras.

At the moment I’m not sure what I’d do for a wildlife lens as there is limited choice longer RF lenses. I guess I can wait to see what arrives later or maybe try an adapted EF lens . I’d like to stay away from that option if I can. I don’t do a huge amount of wildlife photography (it’s dropped down to just two locations per year) so probably not so much of a worry.

It is the f4 version of the 24-105 I’m thinking of. Unfortunately they don’t have the 70-200 f4 available to try on those dates.

I’ve not yet booked the trial as I’m looking at reviews and reading up on the differences between the R5 and R6. I’m wondering if I make the change if I’d be better to go for the R5 for the extra cropping of the 45MP sensor and better detail for landscapes.

I think for the trial I will go for the R6 as the handling is probably similar and I don’t want to fall in love with EVF of the R5. Both look to be great cameras.

At the moment I’m not sure what I’d do for a wildlife lens as there is limited choice longer RF lenses. I guess I can wait to see what arrives later or maybe try an adapted EF lens . I’d like to stay away from that option if I can. I don’t do a huge amount of wildlife photography (it’s dropped down to just two locations per year) so probably not so much of a worry.
I've got an R6 and I'm using it with my EF 100-400mm mkii, it works superbly - better than it did on my 7D mkii.

I had an episode the other week where my R5 locked up on me - this was using the 100-400 EFii and the control ring adapter. I have never had any problems before (or since) and I have not used that particular combination before or after either, so I was wondering if it was possibly caused by using the control ring adapter. I will test it to see if it happens again, but I wondered if anyone else has had any issues?

By locking up, I mean the viewfinder froze with an image on it and nothing worked - no buttons or dials. It resolved itself after about 10 seconds.

I'm continuing to enjoy the R5 and marvel at the animal eye detect, although in this case I didn't use it - a badger at 9pm in my garden a couple of nights ago at ISO 12k.

20210522-BCR_0752_1_M.jpg

Last edited:
Can someone point me in the right direction? I have an R6 turning up tomorrow from the test drive program and I’m trying to understand the basic controls before it arrives as I’ve never tried a canon camera before.

The control dials seem to be different in their operation compared to Sony & Nikon cameras. I’m not sure if it’s going to be weird for me when trying to get to grips with the R6 as it seems the rear dial (around the set button) changes aperture when in manual mode (exposure compensation in aperture/shutter prior) and the rear top horizontal dial changes ISO.

I’m an avid user of auto iso for wildlife. I’m trying to understand which dials will change aperture, shutter speed and exposure control when using auto iso. For landscapes I use base ISO and aperture control but change over into manual when using filters.

Personally I’d love to get the main vertical dial and top horizontal dial to change aperture and shutter speed as that’s what I’m used to. it will feel different to use the rear circular dial to change aperture.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I have an R6 turning up tomorrow from the test drive program and I’m trying to understand the basic controls before it arrives as I’ve never tried a canon camera before.

The control dials seem to be different in their operation compared to Sony & Nikon cameras. I’m not sure if it’s going to be weird for me when trying to get to grips with the R6 as it seems the rear dial (around the set button) changes aperture when in manual mode (exposure compensation in aperture/shutter prior) and the rear top horizontal dial changes ISO.

I’m an avid user of auto iso for wildlife. I’m trying to understand which dials will change aperture, shutter speed and exposure control when using auto iso. For landscapes I use base ISO and aperture control but change over into manual when using filters.

Personally I’d love to get the main vertical dial and top horizontal dial to change aperture and shutter speed as that’s what I’m used to. it will feel different to use the rear circular dial to change aperture.
You can change which dials do what - just go into orange/brown menu 3 - here you can customise the dials and buttons and the direction they turn in.

There are two dials on the top and then the one on the back. I set mine up to have front top as shutter, back top as exposure compensation (in manual mode and using auto iso) and the back lower dial as aperture.

I also use double back button focusing which is brilliant for wildlife. One button uses the usual focus, and the other uses eye auto focus (set up for animals). You can then quickly shift your thumb from one to the other as required,

Edit: just to add I'm on an R5 but I think they are the same.

Last edited:
You can change which dials do what - just go into orange/brown menu 3 - here you can customise the dials and buttons and the direction they turn in.

There are two dials on the top and then the one on the back. I set mine up to have front top as shutter, back top as exposure compensation (in manual mode and using auto iso) and the back lower dial as aperture.

I also use double back button focusing which is brilliant for wildlife. One button uses the usual focus, and the other uses eye auto focus (set up for animals). You can then quickly shift your thumb from one to the other as required,

Edit: just to add I'm on an R5 but I think they are the same.

that’s good to know that they are hopefully customisable.

As a Canon user of 20 yes; My top dial is always set to aperture.
But until the M5 I’d never had a top rear dial for SS, but that is how all my future Canon’s will be set up. I know it’ll be possible because if the way all mine have ever worked.

After waiting since January for a Canon hood for my RF 50/1.8 I've just received a JJC version from Amazon. Can't fault it for ⅓ the price of the non-existent real thing.

As a Canon user of 20 yes; My top dial is always set to aperture.
But until the M5 I’d never had a top rear dial for SS, but that is how all my future Canon’s will be set up. I know it’ll be possible because if the way all mine have ever worked.
Since switching to Canon about 8 years ago I've always had the top dial (next to the shutter button) as shutter speed and the rear dial (next to the screen) as aperture. I believe this is the Canon default. It's also the way that my Canon EOS 100QD film camera is setup.
Since buying an RP, I still have the shutter speed on the dial closest to the shutter button and aperture is on dial to the rear of the top panel, which is actually a really good position because that's where my thumb rests next to the AF on button that I use for back button focus. The RP doesn't have a dial next to the rear screen.
To change ISO, I press the M-fn function button and use the dial to adjust the ISO quickly.

Since switching to Canon about 8 years ago I've always had the top dial (next to the shutter button) as shutter speed and the rear dial (next to the screen) as aperture. I believe this is the Canon default. It's also the way that my Canon EOS 100QD film camera is setup.
Since buying an RP, I still have the shutter speed on the dial closest to the shutter button and aperture is on dial to the rear of the top panel, which is actually a really good position because that's where my thumb rests next to the AF on button that I use for back button focus. The RP doesn't have a dial next to the rear screen.
To change ISO, I press the M-fn function button and use the dial to adjust the ISO quickly.
As I normally shoot in AV mode having the aperture on the front wheel is the obvious thing to do. The Canon default would swap that wheel to shutter if I switch to Manual.

Thanks for all your help. The R6 arrived this morning and I’ve just had a quick play. It’s nice you can customise the control dials to work whatever way each user prefers.

My initial thoughts are that the ergonomics are much better than the A9. The deeper grip makes is for me easier to hold. the R6 is about the same size as the A9 when it has a RRS L bracket attached. Have to say it feels a similar size to the Nikon D750 which I loved.

The touch screen control is fantastic. I didn’t even know it had it so a great surprise! The touch screen controls will be great for landscapes.
I’ve not yet worked out how to unlock the Af point so I can move around with the joystick.

I will give image quality a run over the next few days but initial thoughts are it looks good. If the sensor was 30MP it be perfect for me. Im sure 20MP will be fine but I like a bit of cropping for wildlife. The 45MP R5may be a bit overkill for me and would likely kill my 2012 Mac!

So far I’m really impressed.

I’ve managed to set up the dials so when in manual it’s shutter speed on the top front dial, aperture on the top rear and exposure compensation on the rear rotating dial. ISO can be changed via the touch screen. When in Av or Tv the top rear dial automatically changes to exposure compensation which is nice but it would be nice if it was ISO but that’s fine.

@rob-nikon I think you can set the joystick to move the focus points in that same menu to customise buttons and dials (orange menu 3). To change the configuration of focus points on my R5, I think the default was that far right button at the back, but that may be something I've set up myself.

On the R5 (and I suspect the R6), you can also set it so that when it toggles through the different focus point configurations, you can exclude some, so it is quicker to quickly get to what you need.

The M-Fn button is handy on the front (if the R6 has it) - that is quite a quick way to get to ISO and a few other settings - I think it's also customisable.

Last edited:
@rob-nikon In lieu of a joystick to move the AF points, you can set the it so that you can just swipe the touchscreen to move the AF point while you are using the EVF and the screen is "off". The camera will allow you to pick a portion of the screen to keep active for touch control of the AF point. It can be a fair bit quicker than pushing a joystick around.

The touchscreen is great for landscapes on a tripod, because no matter what angle you are shooting at you can move the screen so you can see it and just touch the point you want to focus on.

I'd also second @Bebop 's recommendation of setting the M-Fn button to be your ISO, then you don't have to move the camera away from your eye to change ISO.

I will give image quality a run over the next few days but initial thoughts are it looks good. If the sensor was 30MP it be perfect for me. Im sure 20MP will be fine but I like a bit of cropping for wildlife. The 45MP R5may be a bit overkill for me and would likely kill my 2012 Mac!

The EOS R is still a cracking camera and has 30MP. I'm very happy with mine and I'm one of the worst camera-hoppers in history.

Are you using an RF lens? It might be worth setting the control ring to ISO then you always have it there. That said, when shooting Auto ISO in manual modeI I have aperture on the front wheel, shutter on the rear wheel and exposure comp on the lens control ring.

If the R6 has it, give Canon's FV mode a try.

I wish there was a way to get back to auto iso quickly. Canon, just make it an option to turn the iso dial go past 100 or L to Auto.

I also wish you could switch faces/eyes easier when in back button servo focus.

I've probably done over 100,000 shots with my R6's now and they've been great. Locked up a few times after being on for a while and the rear dial breaking aside they've been great. Definitely not missing the extra resolution at the moment.

I wish there was a way to get back to auto iso quickly. Canon, just make it an option to turn the iso dial go past 100 or L to Auto.
I’m surprised at this, every Canon I’ve owned with Auto ISO switched to auto in this way.

Back