Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I know it doesn’t seem to be the cool one to have currently..... and I’ve never owned a Canon but I’m quite tempted myself....

.... Unless you are a teenager it doesn't matter how cool or not the EOS R is. But somehow, I reckon this Canon is pretty cool if you check out Instagram.

I don't know what you currently shoot with or the subjects you like to shoot (sorry if I missed you saying so earlier in this thread) and I'm not going to sit here and claim that this mirrorless Canon is better than the equivalents offered by Nikon, Sony, or any others - The best one is the one which you suits what you shoot best and which feels best in your hands, plus any cost factors of course.

But IF you are seriously considered mirrorless and also Canon, then either now or early next year when Canon are rumoured to announce their next R body, would be a good time to get into their EOS system. Any of the huge range (over 70?) of Canon EF lenses will work seamlessly on the EOS R body with its choice of three adapters.

Go to a shop which has a good range of mirrorless camera brands and have a feel.

Any of the huge range (over 70?) of Canon EF lenses will work seamlessly on the EOS R body with its choice of three adapters.

EF-S lenses too....a first for Canon FF cameras.

What an amazing technological age we live in!

I'm really excited about the future for the Canon mirrorless cameras....probably a bit too early for me to make the change, since the EOS R can't compete with my 7DII on burst rate....it's clearly not aimed at the action/sports/wildlife tog....and indeed there are no native long lenses yet.
The future looks very promising though, can't wait for a speedy FF mirrorless from Canon....with two card slots naturally!!:D
And when Sigma/Tamron start releasing EOS R mounts too....good times ahead!

Continuing my Control Ring post #160 :

I started with setting it to Exposure Compensation but quickly decided that ISO would suit me better as I shoot Manual-mode. This results in being able to balance each of the 'big three' Aperture-Shutter-ISO manually and see exactly what the exposure and histogram looks like while still in the viewfinder (a major benefit of the EVF) and then shift accordingly. All cameras tend to shove ISO values upwards when left to their Automatic setting including when thresholds are also set.

So the Control Ring suddenly unlocks far more user... control !

Oh dear, I am beginning to want my mirrored 1DX-2 to have such features but it's the mirrorless technology with electronic viewfinder which enables them. I used to really dislike EVFs but Canon's latest in the R blows away previous versions in my opinion.

Control%20Ring_1163.jpg

Do you like my kitchen curtains? (ex Centurion tank camo net). No, the tank isn't in my garage unfortunately. My neighbours don't understand me for some reason and especially when they spot a big penis-extension supertelephoto lens poking out of my first floor window.

Last edited:
.... Unless you are a teenager it doesn't matter how cool or not the EOS R is. But somehow, I reckon this Canon is pretty cool if you check out Instagram.

I don't know what you currently shoot with or the subjects you like to shoot (sorry if I missed you saying so earlier in this thread) and I'm not going to sit here and claim that this mirrorless Canon is better than the equivalents offered by Nikon, Sony, or any others - The best one is the one which you suits what you shoot best and which feels best in your hands, plus any cost factors of course.

But IF you are seriously considered mirrorless and also Canon, then either now or early next year when Canon are rumoured to announce their next R body, would be a good time to get into their EOS system. Any of the huge range (over 70?) of Canon EF lenses will work seamlessly on the EOS R body with its choice of three adapters.

Go to a shop which has a good range of mirrorless camera brands and have a feel.

I was a long time Nikon DSLR user and then Sony Mirrorless with Pentax and Fuji as well....

I’ve played with all of the new kit and to be honest the new canon felt really nice in the hand, not quite as small as some but just right, the Z7 I also quite liked the feel of.

Ideally I’d love the Z7 but I honestly can’t justify the price, despite my love of shooting Fuji I do feel that I need Full Frame and having the existing back catalog of (very cheap used) EF lenses that appear to work widely.

EF-S lenses too....a first for Canon FF cameras.

What an amazing technological age we live in!

I'm really excited about the future for the Canon mirrorless cameras....probably a bit too early for me to make the change, since the EOS R can't compete with my 7DII on burst rate....it's clearly not aimed at the action/sports/wildlife tog....and indeed there are no native long lenses yet.
The future looks very promising though, can't wait for a speedy FF mirrorless from Canon....with two card slots naturally!!:D

.... Thanks for reminding me that EF-S lenses also fit (with a major drop in pixel count).

I sold my 7D-2 (and EOS M5) to help buy the EOS R and streamline my kit but I am lucky enough to have 14fps in my flagship body when I need it.

Regarding native RF long lenses, I think it's reasonable to assume that Canon won't be launching any of those until the EOS R range of bodies has become much more developed. The fact that they have recently released new EF 400mm F/2.8L and 600mm F/4L versions III telephoto lenses strongly supports that only medium telephoto RF lenses might appear in the shorter term. But as usual we can only speculate.

Oh no, I might be wrong! According to this a new RF 500mm DO : https://www.canonrumors.co/first-super-telephoto-rf-lens-could-be-rf-500mm-do-lens/

We might not have to wait too long (early January strongly rumoured) for Canon to announce the next R body and its specs. If it does have two card slots I hope they are both for the same card type but personally I am happy with just one. Meanwhile, the EOS R Rocks!

Last edited:
While I'm struggling to find time to get out and take some photographs, here's another from the Bird of Prey Photography workshop I attended a few weeks ago. Nature can be brutal.

Circle of Life by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

Taken with my EOS R + EF 70-200mm f4 L.

Note that the mouse was not alive when given to the Kestral - it had been trapped the night before in the animal feed store of the bird of prey centre.

Simon.

.... Thanks for reminding me that EF-S lenses also fit (with a major drop in pixel count).

I sold my 7D-2 (and EOS M5) to help buy the EOS R and streamline my kit but I am lucky enough to have 14fps in my flagship body when I need it.

Regarding native RF long lenses, I think it's reasonable to assume that Canon won't be launching any of those until the EOS R range of bodies has become much more developed. The fact that they have recently released new EF 400mm F/2.8L and 600mm F/4L versions III telephoto lenses strongly supports that only medium telephoto RF lenses might appear in the shorter term. But as usual we can only speculate.

Oh no, I might be wrong! According to this a new RF 500mm DO : https://www.canonrumors.co/first-super-telephoto-rf-lens-could-be-rf-500mm-do-lens/

We might not have to wait too long (early January strongly rumoured) for Canon to announce the next R body and its specs. If it does have two card slots I hope they are both for the same card type but personally I am happy with just one. Meanwhile, the EOS R Rocks!

Once they've come out with FAST RF cameras and RF 500mm, wake me up... although I would be equally tempted with a min. of 50MP RF Camera :D

Once they've come out with FAST RF cameras and RF 500mm, wake me up... although I would be equally tempted with a min. of 50MP RF Camera :D

.... IF the Canon Rumors website is right about a RF 500mm DO I am on high red alert BUT you're right, Canon would need to release a much faster frame rate R body first otherwise there isn't a body which can do such a lens justice - It obviously won't mount on a D-SLR and I think it unlikely that a RF to EF mount adapter will be produced even by a third-party.

I must admit that having been shooting sessions to and fro between my R and 1DX-2 on the same EF lenses, I now wish that my 1DX-2 was mirrorless! Doubtless (I think!) one will appear one day but I hope soon as I'm not getting any younger. Why do I now want to go mirrorless over D-SLR? < Because the Canon EVF is so good and can display so much important info. So consequently the mirrorless system offers much easier finger control and especially with the Control Ring. I nearly always shoot Manual-mode (and always RAW) and the Control Ring now allows me to easily set the Shutter-Aperture-ISO balance and accurately see the exact results, even with the histogram, all while still in the EVF viewfinder.

Although I have only had the Control Ring Adapter for one day I can say that it totally transforms the EOS R. I wonder why Canon even bothered with the standard EF mount adapter! Perhaps it's because it would have put the base kit cost up.

Although I have only had the Control Ring Adapter for one day I can say that it totally transforms the EOS R. I wonder why Canon even bothered with the standard EF mount adapter! Perhaps it's because it would have put the base kit cost up.

Now that's interesting to hear Robin.

Simon.

.... IF the Canon Rumors website is right about a RF 500mm DO I am on high red alert BUT you're right, Canon would need to release a much faster frame rate R body first otherwise there isn't a body which can do such a lens justice - It obviously won't mount on a D-SLR and I think it unlikely that a RF to EF mount adapter will be produced even by a third-party.
<snip>

You probably already have one in your toolbox Rob - a hacksaw ;)

The evidence is building for a higher-end EOS-R sooner rather than later (y) Meanwhile, the 5D4 and 1Dx2 are heavily discounted through grey sellers.

Now that's interesting to hear Robin.

Simon.

.... It's one of those things that you read about and understand that it will work ok but then it's not until you actually have it in your hand and use it that you find it's even better than you hoped it would be.

But please note that my enthusiasm stems from the context of shooting M-mode and my choice of programming it for ISO. It simply puts you very directly back in touch with the three biggies (Shutter-Aperture-ISO) fundamental to all photography. The ring itself is easy peasy to reach and feels very satisfying physically. Using it is easier than using D-SLR buttons+dials. What's not to like?

I haven't quite worked it out yet but it seems to override Auto ISO but I think the ISO value you initially see is just the starting point set by Auto and the control ring allows you to override it - That would be best and make the best sense (even if my long sentence doesn't make sense!).

Exposure Compensation might be another very useful option to program on the control ring. It's really quick and easy to change what the ring controls btw, so you can move to and fro as you want.

I haven't found anything I don't like about it yet.

Such a simple idea that control ring, but so useful (y)

I'm wondering if its position on the adapter, close to the camera, is actually better than it is towards the front of RF lenses?

Such a simple idea that control ring, but so useful (y)

I'm wondering if its position on the adapter, close to the camera, is actually better than it is towards the front of RF lenses?

.... The only RF lens I have used is the 24-105mm F/4L IS and I definitely think it's more easily reached on the adapter but to be fair I need to test it more in actually shooting.

As I wrote in Reply #160 :

- If you were concerned that the ring would be too close to the body for easy access and control, you need not be. It presents itself easily to your left hand.

- The Control Ring's position on the adapter is easier to access than on the front of my RF 24-105mm lens.

Last edited:
An important tip for any EOS R user with either a RF lens or EF mount control ring adapter who uses both a mirrorless R and D-SLR body :

I suggest that you don't program your control ring to either shutter speed or aperture. Why? < Because it will be different on each body and may confuse your muscle memory.

Last edited:
This guy is a wee bit hyper but watch from about 8:20 to about 9:40 where he demonstrates extremely well what I was trying to describe in my earlier posts about the Control Ring. In his case he is demonstrating it on a RF lens rather than the Control Ring Adapter but it offers exactly the same FAST advantages over any current D-SLR. Which makes it even more of a shame that the frame rate per second for stills on the mirrorless R is sooo sloooow when shooting wildlife or sports action.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7Fm68evbU

If you've got EF lenses to mount on your R, then the Control Ring Adapter is a no-brainer! It transforms and turbo boosts shooting with the EOS R.

He seems to like the Multi-function Touch Bar but the jury is still out for me on that feature. It might work well for me for Exposure Compensation but I have tried ISO on it and didn't find it easy.

Again, if you are someone shooting with both D-SLR and R bodies, it's best to match their operation together as closely as you can via your various customised settings.

HI Rob
I am reading your R posts with interest, I am not sure that the Multi Function touch bar can be programmed to Exposure compensation or am I wrong (I hope so because that may be a good option)
Also am I missing something with this new FV mode? I can't see that it offers anything the other modes don't?

HI Rob
I am reading your R posts with interest, I am not sure that the Multi Function touch bar can be programmed to Exposure compensation or am I wrong (I hope so because that may be a good option)
Also am I missing something with this new FV mode? I can't see that it offers anything the other modes don't?

.... Yes I think you are right about the Multi-function Touch Bar, programming Exposure Compensation on it isn't listed in the User Guide. Looking at the list there isn't anything I would personally benefit from placing there except perhaps the AF Method if needed. Canon's AWB is good and I only shoot in RAW and can always fine-tune it in post-processing if I need, so it's another onboard camera control I don't want to slow me down as wildlife usually doesn't wait and pose for photos.

'Fv' stands for Flexible Priority'. I think the Fv-mode is only helpful for those who want more flexibility in auto modes but not of interest to the way I shoot which is usually Manual-mode. Here is an article from Canon USA about it :

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...lOkttxLp6lX-9FX5n6_KZ3k1B6T_MuVjSF5-Abwrb3s!/

HTH

Last edited:
I agree a 1dx equivalent and a 500 DO would be good. I would need to decide whether to sell a kidney or Ebay a grandchild to be able to afford them!!

Will be interested to see at what Canon price a 500mm DO lens. As the do a 400mm f/4 already (£6K) I would guess the 500mm will be f/5.6 and Nikon recently brought theirs out at £3.7K

.... Only time will tell. If a 500mm DO is a RF lens could it be cheaper than if an EF? < I really don't know. Another question is that because of the new RF lens mount it might be possible for it to be a F/4L lens or F/4.5L.

Assuming that Canon will want to compete with Nikon's ultra lightweight 500mm F/5.6E which costs about £3.7k, it might cost say about £4k. Even if a RF version cost £6k my EF 500mm F/4L II cost £8.5k and so replacing it might not be so costly. But as said before, a RF 500mm whether DO or not, would not sell at all well without a RF body with a high enough spec to exploit it. But again in my particular (very fortunate) case I could replace my 1DX-2 to reduce costs. I would keep my R as the second body to continue shooting what I bought it for.

My experience so far in using both the mirrorless R and the D-SLR 1DX-2 is that I find myself wanting the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) features and more direct controls that mirrorless technology brings to the party.

I know I keep singing its praises but the EF Control Ring Adapter truly is a game changer when you shoot Manual-mode. We can talk til the cows come home about features and technology but the big-three fundamentals of Aperture-Shutter-ISO remain and the way that mirrorless can handle them could in time see the gradual end of D-SLR production.

All this in the striving to develop the perfect camera! (Which we all know can never exist).

Last edited:
Saw a bit of 2nd hand equipment in the local branch of London camera exchange, a RF 24-105mm F/4L IS lens. It did surprise me to see something like that so soon.

Saw a bit of 2nd hand equipment in the local branch of London camera exchange, a RF 24-105mm F/4L IS lens. It did surprise me to see something like that so soon.

.... That is rather surprising. Did you see it physically or just listed? In which case it could have been a typo error on RF instead of EF.

Perhaps the shop only had an EOS R body+lens kit and a customer persuaded them to only sell the body and leave the lens with the shop. Who knows! Nowt so queer as folk.

What a great camera this seems to be. A concern of mine was the touch screen focus - but this works so well. Tried the camera with the kit lens and the 135mm f2 adapted. Adapted is genuinely like native performance. Very impressive. Camera feels superb in the hands. I might get one.

.... That is rather surprising. Did you see it physically or just listed? In which case it could have been a typo error on RF instead of EF.

Perhaps the shop only had an EOS R body+lens kit and a customer persuaded them to only sell the body and leave the lens with the shop. Who knows! Nowt so queer as folk.

Sitting in the window.

Details as posted by Mike.P

Might just be a kit purchase and selling on the lens? Especially if bought grey and the lens fetched UK sell on price.
Most likely...

For an owner of the EF lens and a DSLR, it makes sense to sell on the higher value but less useful lens, no matter how useful the control ring.

What a great camera this seems to be. A concern of mine was the touch screen focus - but this works so well. Tried the camera with the kit lens and the 135mm f2 adapted. Adapted is genuinely like native performance. Very impressive. Camera feels superb in the hands. I might get one.

Thanks Jon. No funds at the moment, but it’s on my Radar.
Good price at Panamoz.
Reluctant to sell Fuji gear in case it turns out not to be for me.
Must try one soon.

Rumors - Rumours - Rumors!

Who really knows? The answer to this question is that no-one except Canon really know and even they may have not yet decided what to officially announce nor when to announce anything.

But.... The latest rumor (or rumour if you are English) is that Canon are testing an APS-C EOS R body and the rumour site also suggests it could be a professional spec body aimed at the sports (and therefore also wildlife) market.

https://www.canonrumors.co/rumors-aps-c-canon-eos-r-body-is-in-testing/

That's a bit of a curved ball which I for one certainly wasn't expecting but extra reach always is valuable to wildlife shooters. Personally, having shot plenty of wildlife subjects on 70D, 7D-2, 5D-4 and now 1DX-2, I would much prefer a FF professional spec R body on high quality telephoto L lenses. I don't think sports photographers find reach so critical and especially with the EF lenses they are likely to already have. Fast frame rate though < That's a different matter and always wanted for shooting any kind of action.

But, if the rumour becomes reality, what will an APS-C EOS R do to the market for the EOS 7D-2 and possibly the EOS M?

If it is true that they are testing it, it doesn't mean that they will produce it. They tested and even produced a life-size model of an EF 600mm DO at a show in late 2016 but it has never appeared.

Rumors - Rumours - Rumors :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I have a real fancy for the 135mm f2 L when funds allow :)

But.... The latest rumor (or rumour if you are English) is that Canon are testing an APS-C EOS R body and the rumour site also suggests it could be a professional spec body aimed at the sports (and therefore also wildlife) market.

Well if you consider that before they could get a fast enough processor to handle pro sports / wildlife shooting at FF they built a whole series of APSH cameras.

The current EOS-R spec suggests that it’s on a par with the original 1ds, so there’s a logical problem / solution being addressed here.

Well if you consider that before they could get a fast enough processor to handle pro sports / wildlife shooting at FF they built a whole series of APSH cameras.

The current EOS-R spec suggests that it’s on a par with the original 1ds, so there’s a logical problem / solution being addressed here.

.... I only started digital photography 5 years ago with a 70D and so am ignorant of Canon's development history.

If processing power is key to handling pro sports / wildlife action, I think the EOS R has a single Digic-8 processor whereas the 1DX-2 has two processors. So logically could they fit two processors into a R body to consequently provide the extra power needed? Doing so might necessitate a slightly larger body, I don't know. Or of course perhaps a next generation single Digic-9(?) might do the job.

I don't know anything about the 1Ds or its spec.

Back