Canon EOS R Series Cameras

- Tony, apart from the weight what did you not like about the EF version of the 70-200 2.8? Was it the Mk2 or Mk1 version? I have the Mk2 version and it works great on my adapted R5

Russ :)
Nothing.
I'm just hoping the R version is better.

Out for a walk again with the 600/11 First couple are 50% crops, the cormorants were some distance away.

BB6A0653.jpgBB6A0828.jpgBB6A0875.jpgBB6A0912.jpg

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought the RF70-200 2.8.
It arrives tomorrow so I'm hoping for a break in the weather.

Just waiting for the buyers remorse to kick in then I can start therapy.

Which body you got

Same position. Mine is coming in a couple of days for my R5. Hope I don't regret it over the Sigma which is a cracking lens and nice and sharp. The weight (ignoring the price) swung it for me.

Same position. Mine is coming in a couple of days for my R5. Hope I don't regret it over the Sigma which is a cracking lens and nice and sharp. The weight (ignoring the price) swung it for me.
I hear ya on the price.

It was weight and image stabilisation that finally clinched the deal.

I also get the feeling I may not be using my 85mm 1.2 as much after the zoom arrives.

Off to the gas confessional...

Well I got my RF70-200 yesterday and in truth I'm disappointed.

AF and image quality are great at close or reasonable distances.

Sadly, anything beyond about 100ft may or may not be in focus and anything beyond that is never in focus.
The image stabilisation is not as good as was hyped although that's a personal opinion.
I upgraded the lens firmware to the latest level but there was no improvement.
If anyone has this lens can I ask them to try focusing on for instance, a tree branch or lamp post head that is more than about 200ft away and let me know what happens?
FWIW I was using a single spot AF point.

I tried various AF cases all to no avail.
I also ruled out camera shake by using high if not maximum shutter speeds.

Also, the tripod mount is too large and short of removing it, it's always in the way.

I'll be doing more controlled testing this afternoon but my guess is I'll be returning it for a refund.

Sadly, anything beyond about 100ft may or may not be in focus and anything beyond that is never in focus.
The image stabilisation is not as good as was hyped although that's a personal opinion.
If anyone has this lens can I ask them to try focusing on for instance, a tree branch or lamp post head that is more than about 200ft away and let me know what happens?

Also, the tripod mount is too large and short of removing it, it's always in the way.

I'll be doing more controlled testing this afternoon but my guess is I'll be returning it for a refund.
I have to say mine is the exact opposite, it's pin sharp with close up and distant subjects. Are you seeing problems at any particular focal length?

View: https://flic.kr/p/2jLEj2b

View: https://flic.kr/p/2jJVmvW

At 200mm f4.0, AI servo, centre single spot AF point, ISO 1600, IS on, AF case auto. (for example)

I was in my back garden doing the usual photographing boring crap (as I do with a new lens).
I focused on the gable end of a house roof about 100ft away and found that the focus was on some trees possibly 30 ft behind the confirmed AF point.

I tried again this time on a chimney post with only sky behind it. Nothing was in focus.
Tried something closer circa 60ft (a green watering can at the end of my garden) the planter about 2ft behind it was in focus.

Each time the single AF point was much smaller than the subject so the camera should not pick up the background.

I'm at a loss. I will try again but do not hold any hope of improvement.

I browsed the internet and found one other person had the exact same problem (not commonplace).
I'm sure it's not the R5 as my 85mm 1.2 never ever misses focus.

If you get the time and enthusiasm, can you use the lens at 200mm and take a couple of snaps of something over 150 ft away and let me know how it goes?

I browsed the internet and found one other person had the exact same problem (not commonplace).
I'm sure it's not the R5 as my 85mm 1.2 never ever misses focus.

If you get the time and enthusiasm, can you use the lens at 200mm and take a couple of snaps of something over 150 ft away and let me know how it goes?
Sure, I'll do it today as soon as I get a chance (y)

Mine has arrived. I'll try to look at this issue you describe today and see how mine is.

Mine has arrived. I'll try to look at this issue you describe today and see how mine is.
That would be epic, thanks.
Do try and use similar settings if possible.

I'll try and put up some examples later but I'm not sure I can display AF points on a file converted to jpeg from raw.

Also, can I ask where you bought yours?

That would be epic, thanks.
Do try and use similar settings if possible.

I'll try and put up some examples later but I'm not sure I can display AF points on a file converted to jpeg from raw.

Also, can I ask where you bought yours?
Download Canon DPP4, pretty sure it shows the focus point, you could then screen grab a shot with the red focus square if needed.

Download Canon DPP4, pretty sure it shows the focus point, you could then screen grab a shot with the red focus square if needed.
Cool, I have DPP4.
Can you talk me through how to do a screen grab when using an iMac?

Back