Canon EOS R Series Cameras

This button is associated with one of the custom modes on the R5, don’t remember which one. It’s in the thread from a few months ago. So the answer is set the video settings you want, save them as C1/2/3 then the handy little button works as you need.
Ah, perfect. Thanks Tim.

Do we think the image from a R7 will produce a better result than a cropped image from a R6? I expect so give the difference in the pixels but I have not done the maths.

Do we think the image from a R7 will produce a better result than a cropped image from a R6? I expect so give the difference in the pixels but I have not done the maths.
I’d expect the R7 in cropped to be potentially better than a crop R6 specially if printing.

The R6 will have the advantage of a shallower depth of field so with have a more diffused background being full frame.

I tried taking the same framed photo using equivalent focal lengths on a Nikon crop and Nikon full frame many years ago (70-200mm f2.8 at 200mm on the crop camera and 300mm f2.8 on the full frame camera). Crazily I used a Red Squirrel as the subject and managed to get nearly the same pose. The main differences were the shallow depth of field of the full frame camera and I seem to remember the crop cameras metering chose a higher ISO value (I used manual with auto ISO on both). I’d have to look them out as they will still be on my main external hard drive.

It would be interesting to see the results of the R7 and R6 using the 100-500 the opposite way around as you’d be able to zoom to the required focal lengths using the same lens. Maybe someone on here to try out when their R7 arrives.

Last edited:
I’d expect the R7 in cropped to be potentially better than a crop R6 specially if printing.

The R6 will have the advantage of a shallower depth of field so with have a more diffused background being full frame.

The DoF for an R7 and crop-mode R6 will be the same, assuming all other factors are the same of course.

The DoF for an R7 and crop-mode R6 will be the same, assuming all other factors are the same of course.
My test years ago was the opposite way around using different focal lengths to get the same 35mm equivalent framing on the crop as the full frame. Id be interested to see a comparison of the R6 and R7 in that way. I think if you really need the extra reach a crop camera will give you you'd be best going with the R7. I'm currently pretty happy with the up to 500mm framing the R6 gives. The R7 is definitely tempting as a second body but I don't often need the extra focal length, probably because I don't photograph birds.

All other factors can’t possibly be the same.
I’ve seen this line before and it exemplifies the difference between knowing something and understanding it.

If a photographer is x distance from a subject, and wants to take a particular photo, the size of the sensor determines the required field of view. The field of view is a function of focal length.

So ‘all other factors’ can’t be the same.

Back to the original question though: a cropped image from an R6 would be less than 10mpix. It’s a completely different image.

Check out a DoF calculator to prove gain an understanding of the above.

If you need the (apparent) reach of the cropped sensor the R7 is the right choice. It’s not complicated.

I have my beady eye on this camera . The main reasons being the eye AF coupled with a low body only price .. at the moment I get good results with my Olympus gear .but the wildlife lens choices are limited . So switching back to canon would open a whole new game up will look into it deeper once I get a forthcoming holiday out of the way ..

All other factors can’t possibly be the same.
I’ve seen this line before and it exemplifies the difference between knowing something and understanding it.

If a photographer is x distance from a subject, and wants to take a particular photo, the size of the sensor determines the required field of view. The field of view is a function of focal length.

So ‘all other factors’ can’t be the same.

Back to the original question though: a cropped image from an R6 would be less than 10mpix. It’s a completely different image.

Check out a DoF calculator to prove gain an understanding of the above.

I do understand it. A 160mm lens on FF will give the same field of view as would a 100mm lens on a crop sensor and thus, for this same field of view, the DoF will be greater in the latter scenario by virtue of the focal length being shorter.

However that's not the comparison being made here. We're comparing a crop sensor R7 with an R6 image that has been cropped down to APS-C size. In this case a given focal length will produce the same field of view on both and thus equivalent DoF.

You could argue that it depends how you define the field of view when cropping a FF image. If you always intend to crop it down to APS-C later then the field of view is technically that cropped area of the image. Put another way, what's the difference between taking a FF image and cropping it in post and putting the camera itself into crop mode and letting it do it for you? In the latter case, the cropped field of view will be displayed on the EVF/screen when taking the image so few would argue that this isn't your field of view but technically there's no difference between this and just cropping it later.

Last edited:
I have my beady eye on this camera . The main reasons being the eye AF coupled with a low body only price .. at the moment I get good results with my Olympus gear .but the wildlife lens choices are limited . So switching back to canon would open a whole new game up will look into it deeper once I get a forthcoming holiday out of the way ..

First thing I intend doing when mine arrives is putting the old 400mm f/5.6 on it ... And maybe the 1.4x as well.

But to get the equivalent long lenses they are so much bigger, heavier and more expensive. I guess the 400 f/5.6 is okay, but I never got on with mine.

I still have a foot in both camps, and both have their positives and negatives. I love that with Olympus I can still get peaking when I’m in autofocus + MF whereas on the Canon I have to switch to manual focus to get it. (The R7 may be different).

The bird detect on the R5 is great and once I get off my crutches, I will see how the OM1 stacks up. I am hopeful it will be as good. Again, I don’t know how the R7 will be.

Just to add, you don’t get good results with your Olympus Jeff, you get superb results.

Like Olympus, Canon have a scheme where you can try out their kit before buying.

Thanks for that comment bebop ,nothing as you say wrong with what I get now , but I do have a couple of niggles with there non camera issues .. and as you point out weight of lenses could be a problem with canon . But it’s the end result that counts so time will tell

Question for anyone with an R5 please;

On the weekend I was shooting a wedding with the R5 and a Z6; now it was a hybrid one, so after I’d rattled off a bunch of shots sometimes I’d want to then shoot video - simply by hitting the red record button. However I can’t ever record video until all pictures have been recorded to the memory card, and the red light has stopped flashing. With the Z6, there were never any such delays at all - I press the video button and regardless of what’s happening, video started.

So if anyone isn’t an R5 could rattle off maybe 30
Shots and then immediately try and video record by pressing the red button ..;does it work for you?

On the weekend I was shooting a wedding with the R5 and a Z6; now it was a hybrid one, so after I’d rattled off a bunch of shots sometimes I’d want to then shoot video - simply by hitting the red record button. However I can’t ever record video until all pictures have been recorded to the memory card, and the red light has stopped flashing. With the Z6, there were never any such delays at all - I press the video button and regardless of what’s happening, video started.

Shots and then immediately try and video record by pressing the red button ..;does it work for you?
More information is likely needed to make it a worthwhile test as file type/size, FPS, memory card speed, writing to one or both cards, will have an impact on buffer clearance speed. What memory card speeds were you using?

I’m guessing the Z6 was clearing the buffer faster as it was recording smaller files at a lower FPS rate compared to the R5.

It only works when the buffers are all clear.

I record a lot 4k 120p so sometimes waiting for the buffer to clear annoys (>1 min footage) before I can shoot still 20fps.

It only works when the buffers are all clear.

I record a lot 4k 120p so sometimes waiting for the buffer to clear annoys (>1 min footage) before I can shoot still 20fps.
yes it's terrible for someone that does hyrbird! I can't even do one shot without then having to wait for it to buffer to then start shooting in video files. I haven't experienced any other cameras as bad as this... even the lowly Lumix G9 doesn't do this, or my G100. Very annoying - no workaround?

yes it's terrible for someone that does hyrbird! I can't even do one shot without then having to wait for it to buffer to then start shooting in video files. I haven't experienced any other cameras as bad as this... even the lowly Lumix G9 doesn't do this, or my G100. Very annoying - no workaround?
Perhaps you'll need the fastest CFExpress card. I have not tried dual card setup though.

What you format you recording? 4k 120p, 8k?

I was out again this evening with the R6 and 100-500. The more I use both the more I'm impressed with them. So far they have given good quality sharp images. .

One thing I did notice tonight was the EVF was showing up lighter than the rear screen. Is there a brightness setting that makes the EVF lighter than it should be?

Please let me know if you think this is too dark. Its come out lighter on my phone as I've not calibrated my MacBook Pro screen yet.

Red Deer Stag - New Growth by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Last edited:
Perhaps you'll need the fastest CFExpress card. I have not tried dual card setup though.

What you format you recording? 4k 120p, 8k?
I've got a faster one now - so I'm not sure about that! Oh just 4K 60p. But the delays are the other way - I'm shooting stills, then hit video and it pasues until all the stills are written; If shooting video, I can happily stop shooting video and then immediately take a picture.

I've got a faster one now - so I'm not sure about that! Oh just 4K 60p. But the delays are the other way - I'm shooting stills, then hit video and it pasues until all the stills are written; If shooting video, I can happily stop shooting video and then immediately take a picture.
If I pressed the shutter button at 20fps for many seconds then it'll take a while for the buffer to clear. I've had that before but I am generally not a trigger happy fingers :p we'll have to live with it until the second generation arrives. On other note, are you using full Raw or cRAW?

I was out again this evening with the R6 and 100-500. The more I use both the more I'm impressed with them. So far they have given good quality sharp images. .

One thing I did notice tonight was the EVF was showing up lighter than the rear screen. Is there a brightness setting that makes the EVF lighter than it should be?

Please let me know if you think this is too dark. Its come out lighter on my phone as I've not calibrated my MacBook Pro screen yet.

Red Deer Stag - New Growth by Rob Cain, on Flickr
I double check the exposure meter.

If I pressed the shutter button at 20fps for many seconds then it'll take a while for the buffer to clear. I've had that before but I am generally not a trigger happy fingers :p we'll have to live with it until the second generation arrives. On other note, are you using full Raw or cRAW?
yeah, the full RAW files! Just seems odd to me, I'm not hugely trigger happy - but this was a wedding and the aisle bit, so I do some photos then quickly press for some video.. and it just dioens't work. Had this a few times on our last trip a few weeks ago to FL, taking photos then want to capture some video and It just doesn't; capture it as it's still saving a few photos.

I'm actually really annoyed with this, every other camera is fine doing this... So annoying!

Just been setting up my new R5. Noticed that the joystick does not move the point of focus. Would this be because I have set up BBF on the back nAF button ?.

Just been setting up my new R5. Noticed that the joystick does not move the point of focus. Would this be because I have set up BBF on the back nAF button ?.
It’s default setting is to do nothing. It’s a menu setting that you need to change - in the customise buttons part.

Just heard that the first batch of R7s should leave Holland later this week

yum!

yeah, the full RAW files! Just seems odd to me, I'm not hugely trigger happy - but this was a wedding and the aisle bit, so I do some photos then quickly press for some video.. and it just dioens't work. Had this a few times on our last trip a few weeks ago to FL, taking photos then want to capture some video and It just doesn't; capture it as it's still saving a few photos.

I'm actually really annoyed with this, every other camera is fine doing this... So annoying!
Change it to cRAW, they are half the size of full raw files.

For anyone with an R3 who does tethered capture - The latest release of Lightroom Classic (11.4) works with the R3.

It’s default setting is to do nothing. It’s a menu setting that you need to change - in the customise buttons part.
Customised the buttons as you suggested and all working okay now. Thanks

This button is associated with one of the custom modes on the R5, don’t remember which one. It’s in the thread from a few months ago. So the answer is set the video settings you want, save them as C1/2/3 then the handy little button works as you need.

Just hada go at changing this and it seems as though the C1-C3 modes are greyed out in Movie mode and therefore do not allow you to register the current (movie) settings to a particular slot, unless I'm missing something? Apparently this is not the case with the R5, annoyingly. Is there another way of setting up this button?

Not heard a thing from park apart from when I put my order in.

Apparently you stand a much better chance if you ordered the kit as no one wants them.
Thank god I ordered the kit then. Having gave up and sold everything off over 5 years ago I went for kit to get me started at least.

Thank god I ordered the kit then. Having gave up and sold everything off over 5 years ago I went for kit to get me started at least.
So having spoke to shop where I preordered mine. I’m not on first batch there allocation for June was 1 body only & 2 kit systems. That’s it!! Going to be a long wait!!

So having spoke to shop where I preordered mine. I’m not on first batch there allocation for June was 1 body only & 2 kit systems. That’s it!! Going to be a long wait!!

I really don't understand these companies sometimes (Canon) ... why not wait until they have a decent stock and then supply everyone ... the way they do it just breeds hostility.

Back