Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Captive

Selfie

hand_2_used.jpg

Gaz

Last edited:
Brilliant gritty image and a story in the telling. Captive for sure. Quick off the mark weren't we! Well done. :clap:

Perfect for the theme and very nicely done. :clap:

Now go and check your cameras date, it's a day out! :D

welcome back Gary

Your Captive is :clap: spot on ... I love it. Like @rpn I was thinking along those lines, but I sure couldn't compete with that drama. (y)

A simply but effective image nicely executed. Please make sure you wash your hands.

Brilliant shot for the theme, and beautifully executed!

Can't add much to the other comments above, good take on the theme, well lit, very good.

Thanks everyone. Yes I must confess as you can see there is no week one image that is beacuse this was it. I had taken it the day before as quoted above. I logged in to upload yesterday only to find that the new theme had been put up. I was already not very happy that the image shouted (metal) and was more about the hand. So on the spur of the moment I uploaded as this weeks theme.

I apologize for this and must admit feeling very guilty.

Thanks again.

Gaz

Thanks everyone. Yes I must confess as you can see there is no week one image that is beacuse this was it. I had taken it the day before as quoted above. I logged in to upload yesterday only to find that the new theme had been put up. I was already not very happy that the image shouted (metal) and was more about the hand. So on the spur of the moment I uploaded as this weeks theme.

Thanks again.

Gaz

For me it isn't the idea, but rather the execution that is impressive, so no apology necessary. To add so much mood and drama into such a simple subject should be applauded.

Thanks again.

Gaz
Just for feeling guilty there should be cookies all around:banana:

Thanks again.

Gaz
Give the man a Jaffacake for his honesty.

Well just taken a few photos for Metal

Same thing happened here really I took the first image/idea of just the lock but prefered a more pulled back view. This did not shout metal to me?
On the way back to the house you have to step over this manhole cover so I took a photo there too.This one contained just metal ?

Gaz

web.jpg

Grid_web.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the lock was for 'captive' until I remembered your brilliant hand photo! I really like the shadows and contrast in textures (and the cat keyring adds charm) but doesn't scream 'metal' in the way the manhole does. The wetness brings out the surface detail brilliantly.

Hi, the first one doesn't scream metal to use the above comment but I like the shadows and there is plenty of metal in it
the second one needs a little rotation CW, I really like the texture of the rust in the puddle

Last edited:
I look pics of a dozen metal covers in the street, but didn't use them. Now I know what was lacking: water!

Nice.

A strong captive with nice links to the theme! Gritty but clear, perfect!
I prefer your first metal, lighting on point and all the colours in the image fit nicely!

Good luck with your 52s
Oscar

Captive, very gritty and to the point Gary (y)

Last edited:
Gary, superb idea for the captive theme. Like the grittiness, the feeling of desperation. Just a quality photograph. Also the metal themed shots are really good too, especially the lock, super light. Looking forward to seeing more of your ideas.

Last edited:
I thought the lock was for 'captive' until I remembered your brilliant hand photo! I really like the shadows and contrast in textures (and the cat keyring adds charm) but doesn't scream 'metal' in the way the manhole does. The wetness brings out the surface detail brilliantly.
Thanks Nick.I did come to that conclusion.
Hi, the first one doesn't scream metal to use the above comment but I like the shadows and there is plenty of metal in it
the second one needs a little rotation CW, I really like the texture of the rust in the puddle
Thanks Alan. You have a very keen eye :)
I like them both but prefer the abstract nature of no 2 :)
Thank you Jon.
The lock only needed more light to focus on it horozontilly, to give it more appeal,
Manhole cover done well to get good symetery here, the wet makes it stand out, couple of nice takes:)
Thanks Walter. You mean the shaft of light should have come accross more from the side rather than diagonal ?
I look pics of a dozen metal covers in the street, but didn't use them. Now I know what was lacking: water!

Nice.
Ha ha. I wasverylucky then :)

A strong captive with nice links to the theme! Gritty but clear, perfect!
I prefer your first metal, lighting on point and all the colours in the image fit nicely!

Good luck with your 52s
Oscar
Thanks Oscar
Captive, very gritty and to the point Gary (y)
Cheers Magoo :)
Captive picture... Speaks louder than words :clap:
Thanks Micheal.
Gary, superb idea for the captive theme. Like the grittiness, the feeling of desperation. Just a quality photograph. Also the metal themed shots are really good too, especially the lock, super light. Looking forward to seeing more of your ideas.
Thanks Lee. I am no expert with light not by a long way but I am trying to light stuff where poss to try and learn.

Gaz

Hi Gary. Better late with the comments than never eh! Yes, I like Lock - nicely lit to give depth to the subject, nicely composed and interesting detail that engages. Another good shot.

Hello Gary, the captive submission must be close to winning this weeks prize! Very strong, thought provoking image and brilliantly processed. Love what you done with the hand - is it desaturated? Nevertheless excellent submission!
Cheers,
David

Last edited:
Hi Gary. Better late with the comments than never eh! Yes, I like Lock - nicely lit to give depth to the subject, nicely composed and interesting detail that engages. Another good shot.
Thanks Carl. Good to get comments anytime :) I am happy that you like the lock image as it makes me think I was on the right track to try using my speedlight to take the photo rather than just use the available daylight.Like you say I sorted of wanted to create a mood or atmoshere different to the one that existed.
Morning, Captive is a belter. Great detail, gritty, fills the frame. It's like a still from The Walking Dead :)

Cheers.
Hi Andy. Not seen the film but have seen numerous dvd/movie posters with a similiar feel I guess. Thanks for stopping by.
Hello Gary, the captive submission my be close to winning this weeks prize! Very strong, thought provoking image and brilliantly processed. Love what you done with the hand - is it desaturated? Nevertheless excellent submission!
Cheers,
David
Thanks David. Yes the image is desaturated a bit in Canon dpp.As flesh tones turn out a bit too colourfull.

Gaz

Back