weekly Carl's 2019 52 Project - Week 17 - Light

I'm with Gareth on this, the weathered look to the daisy adds texture and something intangible to the shot. I don't think pristine would have come across as well, certainly not in B&W.

Great image Carl!(y)
The wear and tear on the daisy adds a little something special to an already first rate image.
Looks really nice in mono, and the depth of field is spot on.

Thanks Gareth :)

Lovely composition. Suits B&W well.

Cheers Rob

Another stunning image, Carl. Perfect.

Thanks Bob

Love the 'Open' shot Carl! Great job on Cold too!

Thank you Daniel

Nice simple and to the point

Cheers Allan

Perfect for the theme, perfect focus, the clean simple lines accentuated bythe b&w, I really like it, definitely ones of my faves of the week.

Thanks a lot Susie :)

Nicely done and composed!

Thanks Dave!

As has been said, a good shot and to the point.

Thanks Dave

I really like this - there's something a bit weird about all the snow on the flower and all so smooth and tidy

Cheers Ian

Nice cold photo and love it in mono. As a real cold feel to it. That lens looks lovely. Must resist. I went for the 35mm F2 instead. Very drawn to this photo.

Cheers Mandy, it's a fantastic lens! I spent a while picking between the 35 and 22 lol.

Carl, the sunflower is really good. I was tempted with the 23 f2 but went for the 35 f1.4 tempted to have rethink after seeing this

Cheers Chris, I considered the 1.4 but went for the 2 as it was lighter and cheaper.

That's a very good shot, Carl - B&W and shallow DOF are good choices, and it's tack sharp to show the textures where it needs to, especially in the foreground snow (y)

Thanks for the comments Andrea :)

I'm with Gareth on this, the weathered look to the daisy adds texture and something intangible to the shot. I don't think pristine would have come across as well, certainly not in B&W.

Cheers Tim! :)

Looks like you both had a productive night, the guy waiting stands our against the black BG, it’s a simple but effective image.

I was about to say this looks like the same guy that was in Dom Rim's photo and I read your entry first. Very nice image in black and white

Looks like you both had a productive night, the guy waiting stands our against the black BG, it’s a simple but effective image.

Thanks Allan.

Great composition in this shot. And spot on lighting. Hand held too! Well done.

Thanks Bob, yes I was surprised at how well the IS worked, glad the chap was sat still though!

This is a very good shot and well taken too handheld, goes great in mono and he seems to really pop out at the viewer.

Thank you Dave.

Terrific image Carl.
B&W is superb, lighting and composition, ditto!
Handheld at 1/12th of a second?...impressive!
Very nice work indeed!(y)

Cheers Gareth, I think Fuji must have got things right with their image stabilisation on the 18-55.

Nice Carl and the darkness just sets it off nicely in my opinion

Thanks Chris!

A lovely contrasty shot that works well in B&W, and well composed too.

Thank you Andrea.

I was about to say this looks like the same guy that was in Dom Rim's photo and I read your entry first. Very nice image in black and white

Ha yes, I wondered if anyone would spot that it was the same bloke if I didn't mention it. Thank you Mandy.

Very cool shot Carl. I like the simplicity of it with so much black around it, drawing you into the shot

It works well I really like it in b&w with the background in black it makes him really stand out.

Absolutely fantastic image, really well done.

I've been so busy this last week that I haven't really had a lot of time to think about the 52 project. I was in the garden chiselling out a piece of wood for something I'm building and I noticed that all the bits of wood that were coming off looked quite rough, so I thought, ahh a photo op! I put these pieces of wood on the old paint covered workbench I was using and put the chisel down next to it. All three parts looking a bit worn to me!

Taken on the X-T2 with the 23 f/2 again.

Rough.jpg

Waiting is a nice shot, I like that. :)

Hi Carl,

Waiting - Thought I'd commented on this one...
High ISO, that's something I find with the XT-2, if the focus is spot on you don't notice high ISO, yet if the focus is off, even ISO200 can look noisy. This one works well :)

Rough - To my eyes it looks a bit on the muddy side. I feel a little playing with a levels adjustment, to correct the white would enhance it no end. Works for the theme though :)

I agree with Tim above bit of a lift might help or perhaps it might be worth using the colour version

I like the shot for Rough. Well seen and a good composition although I echo others comments re a levels tweak. It took me a few moments to work out that the tool was a chisel as the blade is facing downward.

Rough is nicely on theme Carl, looks good in mono plus like that you put the chisel in shot too. Good textures and tones in the whole image.

Thanks Dave

Waiting is a nice shot, I like that. :)

Cheers Rick

I really like the textures in those wood chips.
Great mono treatment too, the contrasts work well.
Rough cut chips on a rough work bench....perfect theme fitment.
Nice work Carl.(y)

Thank you Gareth!

Good contrast. Clean-looking, 'new' but rough wood chips on an old well-used and therefore dirty and rough workbench.

Thanks Bob

Hi Carl,

Waiting - Thought I'd commented on this one...
High ISO, that's something I find with the XT-2, if the focus is spot on you don't notice high ISO, yet if the focus is off, even ISO200 can look noisy. This one works well :)

Rough - To my eyes it looks a bit on the muddy side. I feel a little playing with a levels adjustment, to correct the white would enhance it no end. Works for the theme though :)

Thanks for the feedback Tim, I think you're right and it does look a bit flat. I'll take another look at it in a sec and post it up again :)

I agree with Tim above bit of a lift might help or perhaps it might be worth using the colour version

Thanks Allan, I had a look at the colour version but I think it lacked the oomph of the B&W. I think the light paint stands out better on the darker bench, whereas in colour it's just various shades of cream and blue on a brown bench.

Hi Carl, that's a good idea and use of 'props' for Rough. I do think a tweak of levels or contrast might make a big difference and bring out more of those rough textures.

Thanks Andrea!

I like the shot for Rough. Well seen and a good composition although I echo others comments re a levels tweak. It took me a few moments to work out that the tool was a chisel as the blade is facing downward.

Cheers Lee, initially the chisel was up the other way but the text written on the front was a bit distracting. I think I should have taken it the right way up and then cloned the text out maybe.

Week 8 - Object

This is my Nagaoka 4x5 camera which was built in Japan in the 1970's. I haven't used it for a few months now but I'm determined to use it take some entries for the 52 at some point this year.

X-T2 and 18-55 (again!)

Nagaoka
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

In case anyone is interested in seeing some of the photos taken with the Nagaoka:

St Michael's Church in Brentor, Dartmoor. Fuji Provia 100F slide film.

Rowan Cove in Cornwall. Fuji Pro 160NS negative film.

Glen Etive in the Scottish Highlands. Fuji Pro 160NS film again.

Last edited:
Nice rough image Carl. All the elements work well together

That camera is amazing. I know nothing about old camera but that looks an incredible beast of a camera. And it certainly appears to take lovely pics too. Great colour to them

Nicely done

Your Nagaoka camera is an amazing object!
Fantastic detail and such a great image of a truly beautiful piece of equipment.
And the images you have taken with it are spectacular.
Excellent work indeed Carl!(y)

Thank you Gareth, much appreciated :)

Such a nice looking beast of a camera, and some nice images posted from it :)
It works really well in mono as it matches the age of the camera.

Thank you Tim

Nice rough image Carl. All the elements work well together

That camera is amazing. I know nothing about old camera but that looks an incredible beast of a camera. And it certainly appears to take lovely pics too. Great colour to them

Nicely done

Thanks Ian. It's actually a really simple device- A lens at one end and a film holder at the other end, with bellows in the middle to move the lens back and forth to adjust focus. Once you take the lens off it folds up nice and small, weighing less than a lot of DSLRs.

1551346872069.png

That's pretty special. Cheers for sharing Carl. Stupid question - is it a film camera in the sense of put a film on and wind it on jobby or do you have to put some sort of plate in like the olden days? (shows how much I know ;) )

Ah, edit that, just seen the text with the images you shared

It uses the same film but in a different size, normally film will be 35mm or 120 roll film, but this one uses single sheets that are 4x5 inches in size. You load the film into a film holder which can hold two pieces of film (one on each side). This film holder then slides into the back of the camera and a dark slide is removed, so that the lens projects onto the film. The downside is that if you want to take 6 photos in a day then you need to have three film holders!

Lovely camera and a great picture of it thanks for showing the results you can get with it also

Stunning bit of kit for your Object photo. Thanks for sharing some of your shots too and how it works & folds up etc. I look forward to a 52 shot or two being taken with it.

Cracking take on object Carl, goes great in mono and looks a great camera.

Thank you Dave

Lovely camera and a great picture of it thanks for showing the results you can get with it also

Thanks Allan

Yet another great shot, Carl.

Cheers Bob

Stunning bit of kit for your Object photo. Thanks for sharing some of your shots too and how it works & folds up etc. I look forward to a 52 shot or two being taken with it.

Thanks a lot Lee!

Went to Scotland back in October and shot a few rolls of medium format film. They've been sat in my fridge since then waiting to be developed!! Finally got round to developing 2 rolls today, so here is one roll hanging up to dry in the bathroom on a bulldog clip and some paracord.

Image is SooC for the technique.

X-T2 and 18-55.

IMG_0317.jpg

Back