weekly Carl's 2019 52 Project - Week 17 - Light

Two great images Carl!(y)
Above: very nicely framed mono, with lovely crisp detail in the leaves.
Hot: creative interpretation of the theme, and a well taken image.
I first thought the chap in sunglasses, wearing black, looking at the protester, had a book on his head, but it's actually a doorway!:giggle:

Good bit of urban steet stuffs there for Hot!

Nice "above" shot too!

Two great images Carl!(y)
Above: very nicely framed mono, with lovely crisp detail in the leaves.
Hot: creative interpretation of the theme, and a well taken image.
I first thought the chap in sunglasses, wearing black, looking at the protester, had a book on his head, but it's actually a doorway!:giggle:

Thank you Gareth. I didn't notice that but now it's all I can see :LOL:

Good bit of urban steet stuffs there for Hot!

Nice "above" shot too!

Cheers Dave!

Nice to see some film shots above works well but the protester is the pick of the shots I think including the wider environment works so well for this

Great take on this weeks theme Carl, you're right, very hot topic currently! Great image, no getting away from the focal point!!

Your above image is great Carl. Especially for SOOC. I love the fact that the image is framed by different types of tree

Hot is nicely done too. Lots of interest to the image ad as you say, it's certainly a hot topic right now

Nice to see some film shots above works well but the protester is the pick of the shots I think including the wider environment works so well for this

Thank you Allan :)

Great take on this weeks theme Carl, you're right, very hot topic currently! Great image, no getting away from the focal point!!

Cheers Daniel. I would liked to have separated him from the background more with a shallower DoF but I was using a 400 speed film so couldn't really go larger than f/11

Your above image is great Carl. Especially for SOOC. I love the fact that the image is framed by different types of tree

Hot is nicely done too. Lots of interest to the image ad as you say, it's certainly a hot topic right now

Thanks a lot Ian!

I like ABOVE. Very simple idea but at the same time very effective.
HOT - great idea for the theme. The guy looks like an interesting character - the boots, hat and is that a bootlace tie as well?

Hi Carl, bit of a mammoth catch up for me !
Above - like to mono, well suited
Hot - great concept for the theme, I bet you had some other interesting shots

I like ABOVE. Very simple idea but at the same time very effective.
HOT - great idea for the theme. The guy looks like an interesting character - the boots, hat and is that a bootlace tie as well?

Thank you Bob, he's certainly interesting!

Hi Carl, bit of a mammoth catch up for me !
Above - like to mono, well suited
Hot - great concept for the theme, I bet you had some other interesting shots

Thanks Chris, I have a few more. I'd love to spent all day there taking photos of the protests, but only getting 12 shots on a roll of film means you have to be really picky!

Week 17 - Light.

Took the new Autocord to Bristol for the afternoon and waited around to get some night shots in the city centre. This shot was taken as my entry for Aprils Film Photographer of the Year on this forum, but conveniently it fits in with this weeks theme for the 52 project :D

Had to have a bit of a guess at the exposure, as my light meter doesn't reliably measure this low. Meter was telling me 4 secs, plus a stop for reciprocity means 8, two more stops for luck gave me 30 seconds. Thankfully this gave me a bit of detail in the shadows, but b&w film has loads of latitude so I've still got details in the lights.

Minolta Autocord
Kodak Tri-X 400
Home developed in HC-110 (B)

F210S11.jpg

Yep - filmy goodness in full effect :)

Light
I really like that, lots of atmosphere and moodiness. I don't know a great deal (if anything) about film, but i would say you done a great job with the exposure.

Great atmospheric shot for Light Carl. There's something about a film photo that really works for me in mono for this sort of image. Love it :clap:

Loving this Carl. Superbly moody image with a great feel to it. The lamps giving off the start of starbursts just adds to the image.

I did have the same idea but if you've ever been to Aldershot, you'll understand why I wouldn't want to be out after dark ;)

Lovely atmospheric shot, liking that a lot :)

Yep - filmy goodness in full effect :)

Thanks Dave!

A great night time film photo, good exposure!

Thanks Mark.

Light
I really like that, lots of atmosphere and moodiness. I don't know a great deal (if anything) about film, but i would say you done a great job with the exposure.

Thank you Dominic. I've only been using film for a few years but it's been great fun and I'd heartily recommend trying it if you can. A medium format film camera can be picked up quite cheap now ;)

Best one for the light theme yet, a cracking image and beautifully taken too. Could be out of a Sherlock Holmes film.

Thanks a lot Dave, much appreciated.

Great atmospheric shot for Light Carl. There's something about a film photo that really works for me in mono for this sort of image. Love it :clap:

Cheers Lee.

Can only echo the above comments, excellent (y)

Thank you Allan.

Loving this Carl. Superbly moody image with a great feel to it. The lamps giving off the start of starbursts just adds to the image.

I did have the same idea but if you've ever been to Aldershot, you'll understand why I wouldn't want to be out after dark ;)

Cheers Ian. I think I've been through Aldershot but it was dark and I was tired so I can't remember it :LOL:

Carl, my favourite so far for the weeks theme for sure. It’s got that eerie feeling from the distant past. Cracking image !

Thanks a lot Chris!

Lovely atmospheric shot, liking that a lot :)

Thank you Rick.

Great atmosphere in this shot - feels as though someone is going to jump out of the shadows!

Great stuff Carl, looks very horror film like, perfect for the theme!

Great atmosphere in this shot - feels as though someone is going to jump out of the shadows!

Thanks Scot!

Terrific image Carl!(y)
As others have said, it's beautifully moody, atmospheric and exceedingly well exposed.
As a (lazy, chimping) digi-tog whose never experienced that nail-biting wait for a photo to be developed, I am hugely impressed!:clap:

Thank you Gareth. Yeah that moment when you take the film out of the developing tank can be quite scary until you see the faint image on the roll. It's even worse when it's a new camera because you're not even sure if the camera works!

Great stuff Carl, looks very horror film like, perfect for the theme!

Thanks a lot Daniel.

I really like your Light image, as has ready been said, very atmospheric and etherial

Cracking image. Very good indeed.
Sherlock came to my mind, too. Or even Jack the Ripper! But the building on the right is far too modern.....

Lovely image for Light, Carl; so moody and atmospheric with the fingers of light in the misty air, strong lines at the sides to lead your eye through the scene, and a very 'filmy' look and feel to it. I could see it on the cover of a book (y)

Thank you Andrea :)

I really like your Light image, as has ready been said, very atmospheric and etherial

Cheers Jim!

Cracking image. Very good indeed.
Sherlock came to my mind, too. Or even Jack the Ripper! But the building on the right is far too modern.....

Thanks Bob

Back