weekly Carol's 52 for 2012 Week 21 Random added

Love the B&W tram landscape - something very appealing about it - it asks your eye to wander around the frame....

Hi Andrew, Steve, Nigel, Mark, Micheal, Phil & Peter,

Thanks very much for your feedback, doing this challenge has made me pay much more attention to what's around me and made me think about how I'd photograph it...hopefully by the end of the year I'll be a much better photographer:D

All the best

Carol

Here's my interpretation of this week's theme...it's my second attempt at staging a shot. I did try to build a light tent but it didn't work out so well...so I decided to use the natural light I had and work with the disguarded wrapper instead. I think this is the best one but maybe too many crumbs?

Carol

Your take on sweet I think will be a popular one for folk on here but you were first in so well done (y)

Do you always make this much mess when eating! ;)

I agree with the comments re cropping off the end of the shadow. I wonder if it would have been better without a shadow?

Hi Carol, loving that shot, great composition and just the right amount of crumbs. Would also like to see that shot without shadow too. Still good work as always (y)

Thanks very much for your comments. I had to eat another one of those to get a few more crumbs, not saying how many! lol ...and no Ben I don't usually leave so many crumbs....that would be a waste of good chocolate! Hee,hee.

The shadow was a difficult one, I didn't want it taking over the shot. If I moved back to get the whole shadow in the frame, the wrapper & foil were too small. I did try to shot one without the shadow but I didn't like it. In the end this was the best compromise.

Thnaks

Carol

Hi carol I'm loving your Sigh picture really good, the sweet is good and as been said a different take on the theme but so sweet. My only problem is trying to work out what the chic was looks like kit Kat but could be wrong.

Hi carol I'm loving your Sigh picture really good, the sweet is good and as been said a different take on the theme but so sweet. My only problem is trying to work out what the chic was looks like kit Kat but could be wrong.

Thanks Daryl, you know your chocolate it was a Kit Kat.

Carol

Oh I love that! The absence of the sweet makes it very sweet!

Liking your images a lot, especially the tram works.

Thanks to everyone for your comments, this challenge is been great for my photography...my camera hasn't seen so much daylight for ages!

All the best

Carol

I like the crumbs being in focus, nicely done :)

btw when I have chocolate - there ain't NO crumbs left to photograph :LOL:

HI Carol

Sigh...take 1...I actually quite like this image...simple , nice angle & sharp plus on theme.....( the crop of the star has been mentioned)....no such thing as a cop out shot....you struggled for inspiration ( as I suspect most did, I certainly did ) thought of something & took a nice shot (y)

Sigh take 2....love it...great processing & lots of detail...really nice image :clap:

Sweet....I'm struggling with this one a bit I'm afraid......love the idea (& love kitkats!)....clipped shadow has been discussed but the shadow itself doesn't bother me....shadows are real . The focus seems all on the crumbs...was this the intention ( I can be a touch on the slow side sometimes :LOL: )....think I'd have prefered to see the wrapper in focus as well ?

Keep'em coming girlie...only 48 weeks to go (y)

Hi Carol

loving the b and w version of the second sigh, its a really interesting image that i could spend a long time looking at.

Sweet - well done for not going with the obvious, but am also unsure, and i think its because its not immediately obvious that its a kit kat wrapper, think i would have liked to have seen it screwed up so you could see what it was,the shadow has already been mentioned

Like this shot Carol not to many crumbs would like to have seen it without cropping the shadow off I like the lighting (y)

Thanks for all your comments,

Sweet, I did try lots of different takes on this one but for some reason, I'm not sure why, the ones where you could read that it was a Kit Kat just didn't look right?

Point taken about the shadow, should have stepped back a little to get it all in the frame (was taken with my nifty fifty). Same story for my sigh shot, I was just a tad to close. That 50mm lens don't half make you work, I'm getting used to zooming with my feet though! lol

Will try this type of shot again in my 52.

Cheers

Carol

That 50mm lens don't half make you work, I'm getting used to zooming with my feet though! lol

I know what you mean! I've been trying to use my nifty fifty more as I've barely used it and it's too nice a lens to be sat in the bag.

I like your Sweet shot and I really fancy a Kit Kat now! :naughty:

Very good interpretation of themes so far. Fear is bang on and Sigh is one everyone can relate to with roadworks a way of life. Agree with others about Sweet, the shadow being longer and yes crumbs are right.

The crumbs look about right, and the shadow works really well... I'm not sure you've used quite enough DOF for my tastes (and I like shallow DOF)... the front of the silver foil ball looks blurred and I find it a bit distracting... sorry. Good take on the theme

Several secures in there so well done.

My main concern is the contrast...it's a bit grey. I'd like to see more dark and light.

Cheers and well spotted.

Yep well spotted, a good interpretation of the theme.

Very glad you mentioned that Andy. Will reprocess with that in mind to see if i can improve it.
Thanks

Carol

Hi all,

Went back to the RAW file and reprocessed from scratch to see if I could get rid of some of the grey. So here is version no2, I'm much happier with this one, there's still grey but not as murky looking as the last one. Comparing the two I now see what Andy and Marsha were getting at. Thank you.

Carol

Hi all,

Well it's week 5 and I thought I'd just take some time to think about what I've learned from the challenge so far. The biggie for me has to be coming to grips with dof. Tbh before starting this challenge I'd read lots of comments about dof but didn't really understand the concept properly, but now the penny's dropping and I'm begining to understand how it works!

Also, I'm now taking time have a wander round, to take in the scene, look at the light, think about what interests me before I take the camera out and start shooting. It's a simple thing but it's made a big difference to what I photograph and how I do it.

Thanks very much

Carol :)

Also, I'm now taking time have a wander round, to take in the scene, look at the light, think about what interests me before I take the camera out and start shooting. It's a simple thing but it's made a big difference to what I photograph and how I do it.
I couldn't agree more. Instead of seeing something that I want to photograph, pointing and shooting I am now taking the time to look at it from more angles, see how the light plays on it and how I am framing it.
It's made a massive difference to how I feel about the shots that I am taking so in that regard this 52 challenge has already had a positive impact me!

P.S. I like your shot, it's well composed, the DoF is nice and the second one is more 'punchy'. (y)

Back