weekly Carol's 52 for 2012 Week 21 Random added

I'm playing catch up this week due to not coming up with anything I was happy with for Shiny and won't post the one I have come up with last night 'til I've gone through everyone elses.

Shiny - I like it :)
Good composition and the shoes and background are lovely and clean.

Thanks Donnie.

Well I'm cutting this week a bit fine ....... just made it, this is my shot for Magical.

When I saw this weeks theme I thought of magical moments, for me personally one of those moments was when I looked through a telescope for the first time. I've been an amateur astronomer for almost three years now and still remember the excitement of finding and seeing Jupiter and it's four moons for the first time. It truly was a magical experience. Anyway I thought I'd try to capture a bit of the magic in this montage..... the phases of Venus, Mars' Polar Ice Cap, Jupiter's GRS and Saturn's rings. The black spot to the right of the GRS on Jupiter is the shadow of the moon Io as it passed in front of the planet.

Saturn and Mars were shot this week, unfortionately Saturn was very low on the horizon so it's a bit noisy. Jupiter was taken in Nov 11 and Venus on 5th March 12.

In case you're wondering, the images were taken EP projection with the Hyperion Zoom EP and Canon 550d on cropped movie mode and my 8" non tracking dobsonian telescope.

Carol

Wow, now that is 'magical', well captured and thanks for sharing (y)

Get in...... ! just made it - love it great composition and very topical as the diurnal motion should see the sun rise up above Mars and Venus over the nest week or so.! Sadly I don't have a strong enough lens. Definitely magical !

Nick

PS I don't believe in horoscopes !

Good Morning Marsha, Peter, Gramps and Nick, your comments are much appreciated.

Marsha, if you have a zoom lens (around 250mm) you should be able to catch Jupiter and it's 4 moons, you'll probably have to crop the image but you'll definately see Jupiter and those four pin points of light.

Nick, I think you may mean that the moon is rising above Jupiter and Venus? Not sure but will check that out in Stellarium.

Carol

p.s.I don't believe in horoscopes either :D

Hi Darren, Micheal, Mike and Donnie, thank you for your comments. I really enjoy taking this type of shot.

Good to find a fellow astronomer Micheal, we got to have some astro chat.:D What kind of scope do you have? Do any astrophotography? The Moon is one of my favourite targets, I was hoping to image last night's very slim crescent but it was far too cloudy here to see anything....a story you know only to well! Anyway, I'm just about to start the Lunar 100 and it looks like we'll have clear skies for at least a few nights from tomorrow.

Donnie, If you ever get the chance you really should try it.

All the best

Carol :)

Last edited:
Hi Carol, I use a meade lxd55 8" sct, though the mount is very troublesome at the moment! Anything really for targets, mostly it is the moon and planets, really enjoy looking through orion as well. I have just googled the lunar 100 as I hadn't come across it before, will give it a read through. Hopefully we will get those decent clear skies, have been plagued with cloud and mist just lately. Wanting to do astrophotography, need to buy a camera adapter. The movie crop mode works well by the look of things,

Hi Carol

stunning image for Magical....brilliant work missus :clap:

Win....like the alternative take on the theme ...certainly makes you wonder if anyone ever really wins in war ..... good work (y)

Hi Carol

Magical - imaginative take on the theme and a good montage on the diagonal.

I was with a chap last Monday night and he was pointing out Venus (and Saturn I think) close to the view of the moon in the sky. He also said that Mars wuold be rising further away and he was off home to look at them as when he had left home earlier he was charging his Observatory. Do they run on a battery?

Hi Carol, I use a meade lxd55 8" sct, though the mount is very troublesome at the moment! Anything really for targets, mostly it is the moon and planets, really enjoy looking through orion as well. I have just googled the lunar 100 as I hadn't come across it before, will give it a read through. Hopefully we will get those decent clear skies, have been plagued with cloud and mist just lately. Wanting to do astrophotography, need to buy a camera adapter. The movie crop mode works well by the look of things,

Hi Michael,

Aploogies for my very late reply....we did get some amazing clear skies here so I've been astronomising.:D Have you been viewing Mars? I've had some of my best views ever this past week, even managed to photograph Syrtis Major. Also took the oportunity to observe the Moon and made a good start to my Lunar 100.

Did you get your camera adapter so you can start some astrophotography? Hope your mount is behaving it's self!

Clear skies

Thanks Lynne, glad you liked the piccies:D

Thanks Alan, not sure what the guy meant about charging his observatory....but mounts are usually run off a leisure battery so perhaps that's what he meant? Venus, Jupiter & the Moon have been looking spectacular this past week. Did you take a photo?

Thanks to you too DK, thought it was about time I got an astro piccie into my fifty two! :)

Carol

Hi all,

Well while I've had a great week of astronomy it wasn't so good for my 52.....I just couldn't get inspired by last weeks theme, the weather was just too beautiful to think about vice....I just didn't want to do it....so I'm giving it a miss..... my 52 is now a 51!

Tbh, I almost decided to quit the 52 altogether as I've been falling way behind with commenting on all your posts but I've had a break for a week, enjoyed the beautiful sunny weather and feel much more positive.

One of the photos I took last Monday fits this weeks theme perfectly so I'm back in! So here it is Entrance, it's straight from the camera, the only processing done was to level it slightly.

Carol

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazagee/7036313837/][/URL]

Hi Michael,

Aploogies for my very late reply....we did get some amazing clear skies here so I've been astronomising.:D Have you been viewing Mars? I've had some of my best views ever this past week, even managed to photograph Syrtis Major. Also took the oportunity to observe the Moon and made a good start to my Lunar 100.

Did you get your camera adapter so you can start some astrophotography? Hope your mount is behaving it's self!

Clear skies

Hi Carol, the adapter is on my list of things, so not got one yet. Mars was looking good, though I need a different eyepiece really, one has too much magnification, the other being just the standard eyepiece. A couple of meteors a few nights back, one of which took a good 3-5 seconds with a very impressive glow. Been attempting to find commet garradd but failing so far.

Hi Carol, the adapter is on my list of things, so not got one yet. Mars was looking good, though I need a different eyepiece really, one has too much magnification, the other being just the standard eyepiece. A couple of meteors a few nights back, one of which took a good 3-5 seconds with a very impressive glow. Been attempting to find commet garradd but failing so far.

Hi Michael,

When you get your adapter I think you'll enjoy the challenge of astrophotography. I forgot all about garradd, was distracted by the Leo triplet, since Mars was passing so close it was my best chance of spotting them from my LP carpark...must have been right on top of them but they were just too faint....wish I had darker skies:(

Carol

Hi Carol

I know what you mean regarding keeping this 52 going. I'm finding it more difficult to keep it going, and replying to people's threads too (mind you a bang on the head while drunk doesn't help my cause either hahahaha).

Your Magical picture is just brilliant, not more I can say about that, and your submission for Entrance I can only echo what Darren has said above (y)

Oh I love that entrance shot, please don't give up because I love seeing your work.

I actually thought of harbour entrance initially for mine, but the picture I had in my mind had waves crashing on the harbour walls in strong sunlight, and I could wait years to capture that! Your interpretation of the same subject is truly wonderful :)

Good Morning carol, How did i miss your Magical shot, that is truly awe inspiring!! we'll forget Vice , and the entrance shot is just so serene, yes its difficult keeping up with everyone, but i look at it this way, its a personal challenge , i'd had a crap week at work last week, but forcing myself to take the camera out yesterday morning gave me some much needed r & R and reminded me how much i truly love this hobby of mine, keep going at it, even if its just for yourself and if you miss a week so be it, and if you don't comment on everybodies threads, so be it, i certainly won't be offended

and if you don't comment on everybodies threads, so be it, i certainly won't be offended

I will :bat:

Just joking, though it would be very sad not to encourage each other, and to get the feedback that I'm pretty sure is improving my photography. I enjoy looking at and commenting on everyone else's shots; I learn almost as much from that as I do from my own thread :)

I will :bat:

Just joking, though it would be very sad not to encourage each other, and to get the feedback that I'm pretty sure is improving my photography. I enjoy looking at and commenting on everyone else's shots; I learn almost as much from that as I do from my own thread :)

sad yes, but i think sometimes we put ourselves under too much pressure, which in turn could lead to some people giving the challenge up all together, yes its nice to have comments, but if i got to the end of the year and i have 52 photos showing my progress and hopefully improvement, then i'd be happy:)

sad yes, but i think sometimes we put ourselves under too much pressure, which in turn could lead to some people giving the challenge up all together

You could be right, but my point is that I'm enjoying all of it, including making and receiving comments. I'm as fired up about it now as I was at the beginning.

I like the serene feel to your entrance shot. As a niggle I'd have liked to have seen the top of the mast's reflection but that shouldn't take away from what is a really nice image. The graduation of colour and light from top to bottom really makes the image jump out for me.

Your photograph for entrance is very easy on the eye Carol. Lovely colour tones coupled with a strong composition make for a very pleasing image. As said above its a wall hanger :)
On a different note, its your 52 or maybe 51 ;) to do with what you will. Its to be enjoyed, not to stress over so I for one hope you stick with it in what ever fashion you choose. Iain

Hi Carol, I really like your Entrance shot - the lighting and colours are great. It makes a lovely tranquil shot!

This challenge does challenge us and I didn't realise how much it would take over my life and how long it would take to reply to everyone. I try to visit everyone but keep finding people I've missed but I don't beat myself up over it! I have learnt so much from the criticism I have received and also from seeing other peoples shots as well.

I don't think missing weeks is the end of the world some themes just aren't for us!!!

Hi Carol

that is a beautiful image for Entrance....lovely soothing calming tones , good reflections....love it...needs framing & hanging IMO (y)

Don't give up girlie.... this challenge can take over your life & a break now n then pays dividends....don't beat yourself up about commenting on every thread - I did & still do worry that I have'nt popped in to all the threads but it's no biggie....catch up as & when but most of all enjoy yourself (y)

harbour entrance - brilliant shot :clap:

Great entrance shot there, lovely colours and composition, you had some lovely weather there.

My only critique would be that you've cut the end of the mast off in the reflection. I think you either need to include the whole mast or crop it out and focus more on the boat / entrance. I'd personally go for the latter I think.

Hi Carol, I agree with Paul about chopping part of the mast reflection off!

With that said its still a GORGEOUS photo, definitely a print and frame shot(y)

Please don't give up. It is a struggle keeping up, especially with others threads, but it's such a learning experience!
I've still not visited everyone's threads! If I can't keep up with the the 40 or so I'm subscribed to I certainly haven't got time to visit more! But I'll get there, hopefully!!!

Hi, Carol, this is the 4th TP thread I've missed...:bonk:

Quick few comments:

Shiny. Like it. First thing I noticed was that the toes are turned slightly inwards which I really like. Composition is nice. Just the BG with a few specks on.

Magical...indeed. I was in the lakes with my wife and daughter recently; I'd just bought a new phone and it has a Google Sky map..I was pointing out a few planets to my daughter: Mars, Jupiter and Saturn...as I recall. It was amazing!! Cracking photograph :clap:

Entrance. Very tranquil indeed. I'd like to see the exposure reduced slightly to remove the detail in the harbour walls and bring out more colour in the sky...unless it's my laptop :thinking:

The mast issue can be 'fixed' in PS if needed.

Vice...come back to it later (y)

Hi everyone, very sorry I've not had time to reply before now.

Darren, thanks for the compliment.

Thanks Simon, yeah it's getting harder to find the time and to think of themes as the weeks go by....but we're still here! :D

Mark, ok I won't give up just yet! Glad you liked the harbour shot, it's one of my favorite spots to watch the sunset.

Lizzie, thanks for your encouragement.

Thanks Neil.

Thanks Peter, yeah I know you're absolutely right....I should have taken one more step back!

Iain, thanks very much, I am enjoying the challenge and am starting to find my niche.....it's only stressful when time runs out on me! lol

Sarah, yes your right, the only way to benefit from the challenge is to invest a bit of time in it.... I don't always get time to comment on all the 52 threads but I do try to look at all the submissions and read all the comments and that has been very helpful.... and I love to see how everyone interprets the themes.

Lynne, thanks for your comments... I won't give up just yet!...and I may just get that one printed and framed:)

Thanks Robert, glad you liked it.

Thanks to you too Summer.

Yep, Paul... wish I'd included the whole mast... just need to take that little step back! Thanks for your comments.

Thanks Marsha, I suppose it's not a challenge if it's too easy! But it has already been a great learning experience and I'm hoping it'll get easier.

Thanks Andy, great to hear that you & your family enjoyed a bit of planet spotting.... now you got to try to find the ISS (check out Heavens Above for the times it flys over your area)
Thanks for your comments,you could be right about the exposure, I'm working on an old laptop and the screen doesn't give me a true representation of colour so I have to guessimate how it's going to appear on a better screen... my next big challenge is to learn to clone well.... in GIMP as I don't have PS.

Just wanted to say thank you again to everyone for being so supportive and encouraging.

All the best

I'm a wee bit late with this one as I have been struggling to think of something ......so I'm going to go with this one. Petals are soft, so I think this fits! The other reason I'm submitting this picture is because I really enjoyed taking it, the botanic gardens are just beautiful and I had a very pleasant afternoon strolling through the grounds and photographing the Orchids in the Victorian Palm House :D

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazagee/7074813771/][/URL]

Carol

Back