weekly ChrisHeathcote TP52 Challenge - Back with "Animal" and "Special"

Yep that works Chris, well presented too (y)

Very nice Chris. Definitely theme fitting.
I've been trying something similar all week but got nothing.

OOOH ... nice clean image, beautifully lit. (y)
Thanks for stopping by, glad you like it :)

Like how this fills the frame, just a tad tight rhs. Lovely lighting.

Thanks for the feedback, I agree it could do with a touch more on the RHS, I might try and it a bit in PS. 1 of my main aims is to try and do as much in camera as possible, this is a JPEG from the camera, no cropping, just a slight tweak to clarity and sharpness

Hi Chris,

Relax - I like it, very nicely composed and shot :)

Glad you like :D

Nice composition and lighting. I thought the foreground bubbles and the green bottle work well too.

I'm glad the efforts on the bubbles worked, it took ages to get the right kind of bubble :)

Yep that works Chris, well presented too (y)

Thanks Chris :D

lovely shot for relax, my wifes idea of relaxing but not mine, lovely lighting and nice and sharp, what more can you want ;)

I must admit to the same, however if I'd chosen my idea it would have been a retake of Bliss :D Although due to my wife treating me to a bottle of 12yo Macallan, I could also retake "Companions" :D (might still be done so keep watching ;)

Very nice Chris. Definitely theme fitting.
I've been trying something similar all week but got nothing.

Thanks Ruth, I thought so too. What you mean you got nothing? Not from what I've seen (just about to hop over to yours now :) )

Brilliant. Composition is fantastic.

Hi Chris
Sorry but it seems your thread is one of the many that I've been to slack to comment on :sorry:
Relax
Really nice image imho. Very well composed and you haven't blown the flame yet have enough light for the rest of the image. I can't see how you can improve it tbh. Well done :clap:

PS sorry again :sorry:

Relax - that's a lovely image Chris, well lit and well composed. I'd just like to see a tad more space on the RHS to mirror the LHS but that's really just nitpicking :coat: :clap::clap:

Hi Chris, your bold image is great and I've certainly learnt a couple of things by reading how you did it. Relax is very well composed too but I kind of feel as if I'd like to see some background adding to it. Maybe a bit of bathroom of something along those lines

Relax - love this photo it really does say relax to me, the lighting and composition are perfect :)

Thanks Tracy :)

Hi Chris
Sorry but it seems your thread is one of the many that I've been to slack to comment on :sorry:
Relax
Really nice image imho. Very well composed and you haven't blown the flame yet have enough light for the rest of the image. I can't see how you can improve it tbh. Well done :clap:

PS sorry again :sorry:

Don't worry about it Mike, if I'm honest there are some that I haven't got round to commenting on. You dropped in in the end though :)

Relax - Nicely thought out and executed. I guess the previous comment on the tightness of the rhs crop is right, but I didn't notice until I read the comments.
The vignette effect in the lighting works well too.

I didn't notice the tightness until somebody spotted it, just goes to show how different people visualise things. I'd like to say the vignette was deliberate, but everything you see is as it was on the back of the camera, I had a second strobe with a 60 degree reflector on placed to the right pointing forwards to highlight the front of the candle and the bubbles

Hi Chris, your bold image is great and I've certainly learnt a couple of things by reading how you did it. Relax is very well composed too but I kind of feel as if I'd like to see some background adding to it. Maybe a bit of bathroom of something along those lines

Glad I helped with regards to the Bold image. Adding background might have been difficult as it wasn't set up in my bathroom (it isn't very photogenic). Thanks for stopping by :D

Relax - that's a lovely image Chris, well lit and well composed. I'd just like to see a tad more space on the RHS to mirror the LHS but that's really just nitpicking :coat: :clap::clap:

Thanks for dropping by, glad you like it. I agree on the RHS though, kind of kicking myself now :mad:

Hi Chris, your watery abstract is superb. Love the colours - though I have no idea what 'gel lights' are, so I have no idea how you've done it.. but it's a great one!
through squinted eyes the texture reminds me a bit of some sort of nougat confection too.

Karl

Hi Chris, your watery abstract is superb. Love the colours - though I have no idea what 'gel lights' are, so I have no idea how you've done it.. but it's a great one!
through squinted eyes the texture reminds me a bit of some sort of nougat confection too.

Karl

Hi Karl, thanks for dropping by. If you mean no 1 this was done using a speedlite aimed at 2 coloured cards on the floor. I placed a piece of glass about 6" above with a bowl of water on. Added cooking oil and swirled it round.

"Gelled lights" are where you place a piece of coloured film (known as a gel) across the front of your flash, resulting in a change of light colour. I used method to colour the water in no 2 and also to alter the background colour on Relax and also in Bliss

Hi Chris

Relax...right on theme , really nice lighting & love the bubbles at the front ,& the color tones make it feel all warm & soothing :clap: Only slight niggle is a touch to close on the RHS but it's only a minor thing

Bold, yep it certainly is that Chris (y)

Vertical, I prefer the DoF in the first one TBH.

Mouth, cracking close up on the proboscis, / opening in the first one, that's my favourite (y)
Although I'm not sure what's happening in the parakeet one, is it eating something its perhaps shouldn't ?

Bold, yep it certainly is that Chris (y)

Vertical, I prefer the DoF in the first one TBH.

Mouth, cracking close up on the proboscis, / opening in the first one, that's my favourite (y)
Although I'm not sure what's happening in the parakeet one, is it eating something its perhaps shouldn't ?

Thanks Chris, the butterfly kept flying at the parakeet and it was starting to get narked. It was a bit of a grab shot to be fair.

Thanks Chris, the butterfly kept flying at the parakeet and it was starting to get narked. It was a bit of a grab shot to be fair.
Ah OK, I wasn't sure if it was beyond narked TBH and decided to eat it, :D
A nice gob shot, especially for a grab shot (y)

Bold - yup, fits the bill (y)

Vertical - #1 for me. Love the soft colours in the background, it really suits the image and plenty of detail in close up :clap::clap: I'd like to have seen more DOF in #2

Mouth - #1 for me - a fantastically detailed shot :clap::clap::clap:

Well done on the catchup and kudos for not giving up :banana::banana::banana:

Hiya Chris

Bold.........Everyone knows I love a shallow DOF shot :) Love the vibrant colours too.

Vertical....Cute little wriggler!

Mouth......Even me with my slight phobia of all flying creepies can appreciate the detail in this. Very nice.

Super images from you I like them well done on the catch up.
Thanks Mandy, I'm pleased I'm now caught up.

Bold - yup, fits the bill (y)

Vertical - #1 for me. Love the soft colours in the background, it really suits the image and plenty of detail in close up :clap::clap: I'd like to have seen more DOF in #2

Mouth - #1 for me - a fantastically detailed shot :clap::clap::clap:

Well done on the catchup and kudos for not giving up :banana::banana::banana:

Thanks Jill, glad you like them. I agree on no 2, this was my first time at macro and was surprised by just how thin the DOF got when close up, I think a pop of flash next time so I can stop right down. Might even look at a ring flash, it seems I've been bitten by yet another bug :)
As to not giving up, I'm determined to make it now, I've got further than I expected tbh.

Vertical - Nice one Chris

Phil
Thanks Phil :D

Hiya Chris

Bold.........Everyone knows I love a shallow DOF shot :) Love the vibrant colours too.

Vertical....Cute little wriggler!

Mouth......Even me with my slight phobia of all flying creepies can appreciate the detail in this. Very nice.
Thanks Ruth, glad you enjoyed and wasn't too unnerved by the flying beasties :D

Hi, excellent caterpillar shot for vertical, very sharp and the close up of the butterfly is spot on for mouth (y)

Some great images you have there, Bold certainly is that, very nicely captured, your 1st Mouth shot is the pick of the bunch for me, lovely and sharp where it needs to be and the shallow DoF really works well.

Nice work.

Hi Chris,

Bold - Certainly bold in colour, i couldn't see what it was though especially as your macro skills are 'BOSS', and i'm also lazy when it comes to reading at the moment as I'm currently balls deep in a microsoft exchange migration lol apologies if you have mentioned what it is! nice DOF and colour, on theme as always.

Vertical - First one for me, lovely DOF and sharpness, bang on theme, cute looking little fella looks to be clinging on for dear life, although i suspect its much the opposite and he/she is more than adept and in his/her element

Good stuff Chris

Mouth shot's amazing ... but my fave is the Vertical caterpillar. (y)

Hi Chris,

Bold -
Nice catch up - certainly fits the them.

Vertical - # 1 for me too, nicely focussed

Mouth - I'm with Ruth on the flying insects - they give me the shivers, so I had to scroll past them pretty quick, but they are very very good shots, number 2 for me

Watery - Nice colours and good execution for this type of shot. I keep thinking some of the patterns look like sperm or tadpoles swimming about :rolleyes:

Bold - Good colours again and good to see you haven’t over saturated the shot. nice use of a shallow DoF

Vertical - A very good natural history shot with super focus. You can see all the little hairs on the creature

Mouth - #1 is great. Getting so close gives DoF problems but you’ve certainly overcome this. Nice one.

Hi Chris ....sorry I haven't been here for ages ....I'm making a concentrated effort to get around the threads more this week.

I love your water into wine shot ...it's fabulous....great choice of colour, a real smasher :clap:

Relax ...just one glance at that one and straight away I get the theme, I really like the tight composition.

Bold is probably my least favourite ...the focal point just isn't interesting enough to me ....sorry :(

Vertical ....definitely the caterpillar, he's a smashing colour, a lovely clear shot, it's great at the Butterfly Farm isn't it ....all my lot were ready to head off home when we went there last year and I had to keep pleading for 'five more minutes', I wish there was one near to where I live I'd be there every week !

Mouth ...you really nailed the focus there, especially with such a close up shot and considering they move so quickly. Very well done with that one :clap:

Some great stuff in your thread, and the idea of posting a number of offerings is appealing. The first ELEGANT is a winner for me, but the caterpillar on VERTICAL is my favourite.

Hi Chris :)

Quick catch up from me again :)

Watery - Wow... love the colours in this first shot and the way they blend together... but also the lovely red colour and detail in the second shot, clever idea and very effective, both shots are well lit and I like both the compositions, so I am going to pass on the winner, like them both a lot, good work for the theme :clap:

Relax - A nicely set up image, although I find it a bit tight on the right hand side, I am liking the background and the detail of the bottle... nice one :)

Bold - Another punchy bright image, I'd like to see thew DoF just a tad deeper although there is enough as it is to work still if you know what I mean... Like It :)

Vertical - An unusual choice for the theme, I prefer the caterpillar shot by far, lovely fury detail and great background :)

Mouth - Fantastic images for the theme, shame they was taken the previous week, but still cracking detail and a perfect DoF to get, really well caught :clap:

Back