ChrisHeathcote is still alive - Serene added plus many others :)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally after much nudging I am pleased to announce my thread is finally here (its only taken to week 4! ) Anyway this year my goal is to make it to the end and to try a few more styles, however I can see the second part failing :( All the topics will be listed below with links to pictures where relevant. I hope you all enjoy and good luck with your own challenges I'm looking forward to seeing all your challenges. As a sidetone I tend not to view other photos until I have taken my own, so as to try and get something original, so apologies if it takes me a while to comment on yours.

Week 1 - Metal
Week 2 - Captive
Week 3 - Miniature
Week 4 - Happy
Week 5 - Abandoned
Week 6 - Camouflage
Week 7 - Danger
Week 8 - Topical
Week 19 - Colourful
Week 22 - Forgotten
Week 23 - Stone
Week 27 - Active/Activity
Week 29 - Hidden
Week 34 - Serene

Last edited:
Hi Chris. I love the lighting with those rays coming through the trees and picking out her (?) outlines so wonderfully well. Lovely shot.

I don't think that's much of a shoehorn and I think the somewhat forlorn look of the lion fits the theme. The light is great and as Carl says the rays and back-light really add to the photo complimented by shallow DoF which separates the subject from the background very well, I really like it.

I don't think that's much of a shoehorn and I think the somewhat forlorn look of the lion fits the theme. The light is great and as Carl says the rays and back-light really add to the photo complimented by shallow DoF which separates the subject from the background very well, I really like it.

This was one of those occasions where the light was just right. Thanks for stopping in and thanks for the detailed response (y)

That is a nice one Chris, lovely lighting, and the colours are just right.

Hi Michael, I'm glad you like it

That's a very lovely shot. The soft light with the mistiness in the background and the backlighting on the lion is great, also like the little glints of light of the dew on the grass in the front. It's also an unusual looking viewpoint for a captive lion, almost looks like you were stalking it.

Shoehorn indeed Chris :p

Nice image (y)

Annnnnd here he is :)

Glad you got started Chris... Captive, liking this one, seems odd as I was there when you took it and I know the conditions it was taken in, with that in mind too - gotta love what you have captured through filthy, cheap, reflective glass... hang on, sorry strike that - it wasn't a Nikon :whistle:

Superb image, not crit from me.Love it.

Thanks Lee, glad you like it

Cheers Gaz (y)

That's a very lovely shot. The soft light with the mistiness in the background and the backlighting on the lion is great, also like the little glints of light of the dew on the grass in the front. It's also an unusual looking viewpoint for a captive lion, almost looks like you were stalking it.

Thanks for the detailed feedback and glad you like it. I wouldn't say I was stalking it exactly, but I was knelt down waiting for a while :)

Shoehorn indeed Chris :p

Nice image (y)

Thanks Chris, as for the shoehorn, I took tips from the master last year ;) here's a challenge for you, to go through the entire 52 only using animals for each subject :)

Hi Chris ...well I doubt if she was roaming about so it suits the theme for me :) Really liking the softness and the gentle light on the image ...she just has to be a girl, very nicely done.
You're completely right Susie, it was well and truly secure in an enclosure (no chance I'd be there otherwise :) ) glad you enjoyed

Annnnnd here he is :)

Glad you got started Chris... Captive, liking this one, seems odd as I was there when you took it and I know the conditions it was taken in, with that in mind too - gotta love what you have captured through filthy, cheap, reflective glass... hang on, sorry strike that - it wasn't a Nikon :whistle:

I told you I'd make it in the end :) You're right about the glass, it wasn't the cleanest. It's amazing what you can do with a Canon, and none of this new-fangled 50mp and 1000,000 ISO rubbish either :D These days do make me want a 7D2 as a second body though :(

I told you I'd make it in the end :) You're right about the glass, it wasn't the cleanest. It's amazing what you can do with a Canon, and none of this new-fangled 50mp and 1000,000 ISO rubbish either :D These days do make me want a 7D2 as a second body though :(
Awwwwwe you don't wanna go crop sensor, crop the picture instead if it's the perceived reach you are after ?? :)

here's a challenge for you, to go through the entire 52 only using animals for each subject :)
I nearly did it last year, Seems I'm off to a poor start this year :(
Although I feel that might change this week :D

Well I'm still here, although a little bit behind. Anyway I managed to get a bit of time in my new studio (aka garage) and managed to cobble something together for Miniature.

My goal with this was to get it as close as I could without using any form of PP. so this is truly straight out of the camera, in fact it hasn't seen my computer :) It was taken and sent straight to iPad using an EyeFi card, uploaded to Flickr and posted on here. Anyway enough chat, here's the first (keep watching as I have a few variations in mind)

image.jpg

Flickr Link

Great idea Chris, I love the warm tones (y)

Hi there Chris

Captive ... Nice DOF (nice lens) and good natural light. (y)

Miniature ... you pour generous measures. Nicely focused on the little one.

A most pleasant looking miniature, with lovely warm colours.

Great idea Chris, I love the warm tones (y)

You're both too kind, I chose the colours to try and represent the warmth of the bourbon

Hi there Chris

Captive ... Nice DOF (nice lens) and good natural light. (y)

Miniature ... you pour generous measures. Nicely focused on the little one.

Thanks David, we got lucky with the light that day. Most of the day it was a bit flat, but then as the sun was setting it improved :)

I can't be doing with half measures, pour a proper amount or none at all :)

Miniature - as has been said, lovely warm tones to reflect the warmth of the Bourbon, nicely done.

Yep, think you've nailed that one Chris ...as said the tone is perfect for the shot. Good luck with keeping up with the challenge.

Nice Miniature Chris, liking that you have chosen a portrait composition to include more of the bottle shadow, nice idea (y)

Thanks for the kind feedback. Its appreciated.

I have also continued to play about wit this theme and have tried a different surface. I would appreciate feedback as to preferences. Many thanks

Jack#2 by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

@susiejb Thanks for the encouragement, I've decided that this year I am not going to put too much pressure on myself to upload images by the following Friday, my goal is to ensure hat I keep up on a quarterly basis, baby steps and all that :)

Hi Chris

I will be honest and say I prefer the original miniature image as the shadows filed the FG, in the v2 image the FG is rather empty, but the light on the miniature bottle is really nice. Funny how we agonise over our images

Hi Chris.

Love the Miniature shot......And prefer the surface in the original.

Oh, and YUM! :LOL:

I prefer the first miniature picture with the shadows

Well it seems unanimous, the first one wins. (being honest it was my favourite too :) )

Anyway here's Metal

Whilst I had everything set up, I thought what the hell. Ive often seen these types of image and been wowed, but whenever I've tried in the past, it has been a resounding fail. Anyway heres another attempt. As always, feedback is welcomed.

Metal by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

All on one page so it's easy to do a catch-up post!

Captive - Great shot, the sun couldn't be better placed with the rays through the tree and the highlight effect separating her from the background.
Miniature - I meant to comment on this first time around. The shot on the mirrored surface is my favourite. The complimentary colour works well and you've managed to minimise unwanted reflections.
Metal - Nice simple composition works well. I love the fact that you can see extra detail on the tines by looking at the reflected image, it brings another dimension to the picture.

Captive... lovely picture great DOF great shot
Miniature... Second one for me loves how the wood colour blends with the drinks spot on.
Metal... nice background nice and sharp love the reflection (y)

Hi Chris.
Miniature - The first of your two images for miniature for me too. I think the reflections help the shot.
Metal - Well it's on theme and taken well enough, but a little lacking in interest imo. Great if you were selling forks though ;)

Hi Chris

Miniature - two great shots for me. I like both - I find the wood works really well with the whiskey subject (matured in casks etc.) so I think that might suit the subject matter better. But in terms of image, I probably lean towards the consensus as the reflections give a bit more depth to the picture and added interest. Nice!

Metal - a tougher one for me. In seeking to control the highlights completely, the shot has ended up underexposed (probably deliberately) but for me that makes it lose an essence of its "metal" nature. I'd be inclined to bring the midpoint back up, compress the highlights right in so you get back to shiny metal but still the benefit of not blowing it out. Your choice of highlight point (especially on the reflected image) is superb - works a lot better for me than having some of the main part of the fork or tines highlighted. A great capture which for me could just be tweaked further in post (y)

Hi Chris.

Love the Miniature shot......And prefer the surface in the original.

Oh, and YUM! :LOL:

I prefer the first miniature picture with the shadows

All on one page so it's easy to do a catch-up post!

Captive - Great shot, the sun couldn't be better placed with the rays through the tree and the highlight effect separating her from the background.
Miniature - I meant to comment on this first time around. The shot on the mirrored surface is my favourite. The complimentary colour works well and you've managed to minimise unwanted reflections.
Metal - Nice simple composition works well. I love the fact that you can see extra detail on the tines by looking at the reflected image, it brings another dimension to the picture.

Captive... lovely picture great DOF great shot
Miniature... Second one for me loves how the wood colour blends with the drinks spot on.
Metal... nice background nice and sharp love the reflection (y)

Thanks for the detailed feedback, nice to see some love for the wooden flooring :)

Hi Chris.
Miniature - The first of your two images for miniature for me too. I think the reflections help the shot.
Metal - Well it's on theme and taken well enough, but a little lacking in interest imo. Great if you were selling forks though ;)

Thanks, if I'm honest, I was looking to try and catch up a it. Although I am happy enough. Was trying to catch the detail more than anything

Hi Chris

Miniature - two great shots for me. I like both - I find the wood works really well with the whiskey subject (matured in casks etc.) so I think that might suit the subject matter better. But in terms of image, I probably lean towards the consensus as the reflections give a bit more depth to the picture and added interest. Nice!

Metal - a tougher one for me. In seeking to control the highlights completely, the shot has ended up underexposed (probably deliberately) but for me that makes it lose an essence of its "metal" nature. I'd be inclined to bring the midpoint back up, compress the highlights right in so you get back to shiny metal but still the benefit of not blowing it out. Your choice of highlight point (especially on the reflected image) is superb - works a lot better for me than having some of the main part of the fork or tines highlighted. A great capture which for me could just be tweaked further in post (y)

With regards to miniature, you're thoughts are along the same lines as mine. I think I need to work a little more on the wooden part :)

As to metal. That is a little tougher. As I explained for miniature my goal was to try and create an image as close to what I wanted sooc. This hasn't been edited in any way. My goal was to show the detail through the reflection rather than the normal perspective. I'll have a look at the RAW image when I get chance and see if it can be enhanced, if not maybe a candidate for the retake :)

Hello Chris, liking your second image for miniature, for me the lihghting is better to my eyes. Loving the metal image, plain simple and very effective

With regards to miniature, you're thoughts are along the same lines as mine. I think I need to work a little more on the wooden part :)

As to metal. That is a little tougher. As I explained for miniature my goal was to try and create an image as close to what I wanted sooc. This hasn't been edited in any way. My goal was to show the detail through the reflection rather than the normal perspective. I'll have a look at the RAW image when I get chance and see if it can be enhanced, if not maybe a candidate for the retake :)

Hi Chris - I wouldn't say wooden needs much more work (if any) - the preference for the reflective surface is more an indication for how well that one has worked, rather than any failing of lighting the wood!

Re: metal, it's good to seek to capture SOOC. What I would say for such a shiny object is that it can be difficult to capture the dynamic range our eyes see within the sensor - so whilst it's not always necessary to edit, it's really hard not to lose some shadow detail or have blown highlights if you shoot this scene and present it SOOC. Pro product photographers such as someone like Garry at Lencarta could, I'm sure, set up a lighting right which would work SOOC but it's likely to be quite complicated and I know I wouldn't have a scooby! I also like the reflection and it definitely strengthens the image by having it there and allowing the viewer to focus on it as much as the main subject. The light reflected between the tines really shows up well here against the black reflection. You've carefully avoided a completely black background as well to reinforce the effect of the shadow.

Leaving the SOOC desire to one side, I've had a tiny play (this was 30s of LR tweaking) - I hope you don't mind - to make the small adjustments I had in my mind. One was the fork exposure and the other was addressing the light leak top left. The side effect of dealing with the second is that you get the effect of the subtle pool of light near the tines / reflection now. I'm not for a minute suggesting this is an improvement on the image - simply a slighty different take. I've also tried to be delicate with the adjustments and again, hope you don't mind: http://i.imgur.com/aiCZyPS.jpg

For the avoidance of doubt, I think your shot is excellent - I was just taking the opportunity to crit and my crit probably comes across as harsher because the quality of your shots is so good already (i.e. you can "take it" :) ) - Looking forward to more of your images!

Back