ChrisHeathcote is still alive - Serene added plus many others :)

Hi Chris. I actually like the revised version of Miniature with that texture and rich colour of the wood coming through. Metal works for me - plain, simple, effective.

Hi Chris - I wouldn't say wooden needs much more work (if any) - the preference for the reflective surface is more an indication for how well that one has worked, rather than any failing of lighting the wood!

Re: metal, it's good to seek to capture SOOC. What I would say for such a shiny object is that it can be difficult to capture the dynamic range our eyes see within the sensor - so whilst it's not always necessary to edit, it's really hard not to lose some shadow detail or have blown highlights if you shoot this scene and present it SOOC. Pro product photographers such as someone like Garry at Lencarta could, I'm sure, set up a lighting right which would work SOOC but it's likely to be quite complicated and I know I wouldn't have a scooby! I also like the reflection and it definitely strengthens the image by having it there and allowing the viewer to focus on it as much as the main subject. The light reflected between the tines really shows up well here against the black reflection. You've carefully avoided a completely black background as well to reinforce the effect of the shadow.

Leaving the SOOC desire to one side, I've had a tiny play (this was 30s of LR tweaking) - I hope you don't mind - to make the small adjustments I had in my mind. One was the fork exposure and the other was addressing the light leak top left. The side effect of dealing with the second is that you get the effect of the subtle pool of light near the tines / reflection now. I'm not for a minute suggesting this is an improvement on the image - simply a slighty different take. I've also tried to be delicate with the adjustments and again, hope you don't mind: http://i.imgur.com/aiCZyPS.jpg

For the avoidance of doubt, I think your shot is excellent - I was just taking the opportunity to crit and my crit probably comes across as harsher because the quality of your shots is so good already (i.e. you can "take it" :) ) - Looking forward to more of your images!

Thank you for taking the time on this, and yes I like the couple of tweeks you've made. If I'm 100% honest part of the reason for trying to get it as close to right first time, was the usual bore of limited time availability. (I know shouldn't be an excuse :) ).

Please feel free to critique as much as you like (and no it didn't come across as harsh), because whilst it's a nice to receive complimentary feedback, I find it equally important to receive detailed feedback like yours, after all if I'd tried any of these shots prior to joining TP I doubt if the feedback would have been as nice. :D

Hi Chris ...personally I really like your original shot .... I suppose because I'm not into the technical I comment very much on the instant visual and I prefer the more muted tones and the better reflection.
Hi Susie, thank you for the feedback and I'm glad you like it. All feedback is greatly received and I have to admit that a lot of the feedback that I give tends to be more around the visual appeal. So I know what you mean :D

I really like the fork shot Chris.
I've tried and never got a decent result... so far!!! :)

Hi Chris,

Really like the colours and composition of the two miniature ones. I'm a bit torn between the two different takes. The first one I like the slightly darker image and the reflections but I would have preferred all of the label on the miniature bottle to have been in focus, I also prefer the light on the glass in the second one rather than the couple of harsh spots on the glass in the first one. The wood on the second one adds a bit of interest to the surface and matches well with the tone of the picture but I do miss the reflections from the first. Both good shots though.

Metal - A nice shot and I like the lighting on the tines of the fork and the reflection.

Miniature - lovely warm tones and I prefer the reflections on the surface of the first take

Metal, love the reflections (again!) and the B&W works really well
Thanks Jon, glad you like them (y)

I really like the fork shot Chris.
I've tried and never got a decent result... so far!!! :)

I've lost track of the number of photos of forks, spoons and knives I've tried to photograph over the years. This is the first one that has actually worked though :)

Hi Chris,

Really like the colours and composition of the two miniature ones. I'm a bit torn between the two different takes. The first one I like the slightly darker image and the reflections but I would have preferred all of the label on the miniature bottle to have been in focus, I also prefer the light on the glass in the second one rather than the couple of harsh spots on the glass in the first one. The wood on the second one adds a bit of interest to the surface and matches well with the tone of the picture but I do miss the reflections from the first. Both good shots though.

Metal - A nice shot and I like the lighting on the tines of the fork and the reflection.

Thanks Steve, as I've already said I'm not so quietly proud of this one (y)

Liking the latest additions to your thread.

Thanks Mandy, Glad you like them :)

Hi Chris :)

Metal - Well... not so sure on the crop, it doesn't work for me, but the fork itself is very nicely done, a nice glint to the edges, good reflection and a nice gradual and clean background, like it (y)

Thanks Dean (y)

Time for a bit of a catch up, first off the bat is Happy

Ok so the Joker is being played for this one and I'm using an archive shot. As always critique is welcome and I'll start it off by saying that I massively missed the focus on this one. In my defence I was holding the camera by my knee pointing backwards whilst we walked. TBF I was happy I got it all in shot :)

This was the the first time Alf had been able to walk his new best friend
untitled shoot September 06, 2015 7395_.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Next up in the catch up is Abandoned. This is one that I am plan to come back to because as yet I haven't been able to try out my 1st choice, which is to try and get into the site of the old American Adventure Theme Park which is about 15 minutes walk from where I live. Ive been up a few times but as yet I can't find a gap in the security fencing. Anyway in the mean time heres one to keep the slot filled.

This is the expression I come home to every day.

Luna September 12, 2015 7420_.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Wow that's one huge catch up Chris.

Happy: Definitely happy expression on Alf. Nice scene and lovely DoF. A bit oof but I like it just the same.
Abandoned: How could you? Look at that face. Nice POV again.
Camouflage: Proud expression - nose in the air, almost regal. Spot on theme.
Danger: I prefer the second one for the clarity against the bg - would have been great if the little feller was looking into the camera.
Happy #2: Lovely DoF - great image. Contented as you say. My fave of the set.
:clap:

Nice catch up Chris, I really like the abandoned pup (y)

Wow that's one huge catch up Chris.

Happy: Definitely happy expression on Alf. Nice scene and lovely DoF. A bit oof but I like it just the same.
Abandoned: How could you? Look at that face. Nice POV again.
Camouflage: Proud expression - nose in the air, almost regal. Spot on theme.
Danger: I prefer the second one for the clarity against the bg - would have been great if the little feller was looking into the camera.
Happy #2: Lovely DoF - great image. Contented as you say. My fave of the set.
:clap:

Thanks for the feedback Carl, I know what you mean about the second danger shot, I was stood like a lemon waiting for him to turn, be he wasn't having any of it

Nice catch up Chris, I really like the abandoned pup (y)

Thanks Chris, she is rather cute :)

Well done on catching up, with a great set of images too. My only complaint is that I would prefer the dog in happy to be in focus, but I think that is more of a personal taste thing :)

Well done on catching up, with a great set of images too. My only complaint is that I would prefer the dog in happy to be in focus, but I think that is more of a personal taste thing :)
Nothing personal about it, so would I. It very nearly found its way into the recycle bin, but Alf's expression saved it. Thanks for commenting :)

Hi Chris ....well done with catching up ....Abandoned is really cute ...dogs do have a way of making you feel guilty don't they, you've caught the expression perfectly. How nice for your son to have such a lovely pet.

Camouflage ...The tigers head looks strangely bigger than his body ...he must have been in a nice comfy hollow.

Danger ...he does have a slightly surprised look as if to say how much longer can I hold on :)

Your final Happy, well, she certainly looks very relaxed enjoying the winter sunshine, I like the way you've caught the direct gaze in the eyes.

Some lovely shots there, Chris. Happy is indeed a lovely image and although it's a shame you missed focus, it's spot on in terms of subject matter. Which is just as well given it's an archive shot :p Incidentally, I like the fact the dog isn't in focus - it conveys more of a story and centres on the happiness of the boy.

Abandoned is a lovely shot - are the eyes in sharp focus or is it just the nose/whiskers? Still, it's a lovely image and the lighting is spot on for me.

Camouflage is definitely on theme and would work for danger as well. In fact, he looks pretty happy, too!

All of the zoo images are nice to look at - but there seems to be a recurring softness on each of the subjects for me. Not sure if it's the lens, the amount of magnification (digital, i.e. cropping in) or focus being slightly awry?

Well done on the catch-up Chris.
Abandoned pup is a heartbreaker!

Hi Chris ....well done with catching up ....Abandoned is really cute ...dogs do have a way of making you feel guilty don't they, you've caught the expression perfectly. How nice for your son to have such a lovely pet.

Camouflage ...The tigers head looks strangely bigger than his body ...he must have been in a nice comfy hollow.

Danger ...he does have a slightly surprised look as if to say how much longer can I hold on :)

Your final Happy, well, she certainly looks very relaxed enjoying the winter sunshine, I like the way you've caught the direct gaze in the eyes.

Thanks Susie, glad you like them

Some lovely shots there, Chris. Happy is indeed a lovely image and although it's a shame you missed focus, it's spot on in terms of subject matter. Which is just as well given it's an archive shot :p Incidentally, I like the fact the dog isn't in focus - it conveys more of a story and centres on the happiness of the boy.

Abandoned is a lovely shot - are the eyes in sharp focus or is it just the nose/whiskers? Still, it's a lovely image and the lighting is spot on for me.

Camouflage is definitely on theme and would work for danger as well. In fact, he looks pretty happy, too!

All of the zoo images are nice to look at - but there seems to be a recurring softness on each of the subjects for me. Not sure if it's the lens, the amount of magnification (digital, i.e. cropping in) or focus being slightly awry?

Thanks Paul, I did think about using camouflage for pretty much all of them as other than abandoned, fits the bill for most. As to the sharpness, I'll have a look into it. I know it isn't down to magnification/cropping as I did very little on these. Could be lens as I was using a 2x T, although on the 120-300 Sport it normally performs well. Also looking at the originals on LR, they look pretty sharp. I guess it could be down to the upload to Flickr/BBCode. Have you viewed them on Flickr or just on here?

I like your camouflage and happy shots - lovely rich colours in the cats' coats. Beautiful animals.
Thanks Emma :)

Well done on the catch-up Chris.
Abandoned pup is a heartbreaker!

Cheers Ruth, she has the knack for making me feel guilty :)

Thanks Paul, Danger would be down to pilot error, I really need to work on the biceps as holding a gripped 5d3 with 3kg of lens attached takes its toll after a couple of mins. Abandoned has caught the nose. Again could have user error however I have since adjusted the lens in question (it was definitely front focusing) and it seems a lot better :)

Thanks Paul, Danger would be down to pilot error, I really need to work on the biceps as holding a gripped 5d3 with 3kg of lens attached takes its toll after a couple of mins. Abandoned has caught the nose. Again could have user error however I have since adjusted the lens in question (it was definitely front focusing) and it seems a lot better :)

Ah... that bit in bold will be your mistake. That camera and lens combination is severely limiting your photography*, so I would strongly recommend you send all of that heavy and clunky kit to me and I'll replace it for you with my nice light Pentax K5 as a totally hassle-free exchange :) As a goodwill gesture, I'll even throw in my ultra-lightweight (aka made of plastic and cellotape) no-brand 70-300mm zoom lens which delivers slightly freaky-shaped "bokeh", including on the bits you thought you had in focus.

* I might be lying very slightly...

Ah... that bit in bold will be your mistake. That camera and lens combination is severely limiting your photography*, so I would strongly recommend you send all of that heavy and clunky kit to me and I'll replace it for you with my nice light Pentax K5 as a totally hassle-free exchange :) As a goodwill gesture, I'll even throw in my ultra-lightweight (aka made of plastic and cellotape) no-brand 70-300mm zoom lens which delivers slightly freaky-shaped "bokeh", including on the bits you thought you had in focus.

* I might be lying very slightly...
Haha, As tempting as your offer may be, I think I'll have to graciously decline. The 120-300 makes an excellent doorstop :) I suppose I could actually stop being so self conscious and attach the monopod I usually carry :D

Chris, like your camouflage and happy shots, the upside down monkey looks in danger of a rush of blood to its head. Good going

Great catch up Chris and kudos for not giving up.

It's Danger #2 for me, fab bokeh and love all the texture you have captured :clap:

Just had a look at your 52 so far. You could use more animals in your themes, maybe? :D

First danger pic is noteworthy. The little guy looks so comical hanging there like a sack, next to a hanging sack! And I really like your Captive one. It's gorgeous and inspiring. :) Great job so far. I love animals so looking forward to seeing more!

Great effort on the catch up from you, some wonderful images.

Thanks Mandy, glad you like them

Chris, like your camouflage and happy shots, the upside down monkey looks in danger of a rush of blood to its head. Good going

He was hanging like that for ages, every now and then he would lift up and then dangle again for a bit.

Great catch up Chris and kudos for not giving up.

It's Danger #2 for me, fab bokeh and love all the texture you have captured :clap:

Thanks Jill, I've decided this year not to put too much promise on myself to stick to the timescales (I know from reading the general thread, that won't be a popular choice), as long as at the end of the year I have something for each topic, I'll be happy. I'm not subscribing to the "just put anything" so that I can tick a box, I want to know that it was the best that I can achieve. :)

Just had a look at your 52 so far. You could use more animals in your themes, maybe? :D

First danger pic is noteworthy. The little guy looks so comical hanging there like a sack, next to a hanging sack! And I really like your Captive one. It's gorgeous and inspiring. :) Great job so far. I love animals so looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks for taking the time, don't worry there will be more animals I'm sure. (However maybe not this week, but we'll have to see :)

Ah, what a great idea, and very topical words on your scrabble board. :) It's a great picture with lovely lines and colours. (Perhaps you could have snuck in a word relating to animals :LOL:.)

Ah, what a great idea, and very topical words on your scrabble board. :) It's a great picture with lovely lines and colours. (Perhaps you could have snuck in a word relating to animals :LOL:.)

Thanks Sheylara, I did well if you ever watch politicians during PM's question time, they act like a bunch of animals ;)

Back