weekly Cobra's epic fail for 2015, week 52 A Christmas shoe horn and done :)

Tick earned here then Chris, JUST!!!
New feathers in great detail, standing out against a nice unfussy background, lovely looking bird (y)
Blimey that was quick!
Whadda mean JUST? Huh? :p :D

Thanks Dean (y)
I'm not too keen on the background, TBH, but I've not really got much choice here.

The background is at least unfussy, albeit not entirely even, it could have been much worse, unnatural bricks or concrete or the like :)

As for just, a bird covered in feathers is it's natural state, in the same context you could do a body covered in skin, a floor covered in carpet.... hmmmm that's a point, I CAN pick anything for mine :D

As for just, a bird covered in feathers
Lets put it this way, she is now, you should have seen her mid moult :D
They are supposed to moult, opposing pairs of feathers, protect the new ones growing through, and not drop more until they have grown.
So they can still fly and hunt.

Donut lived up to her name, all but two fight feathers were dropped one week end ( she has 10)
So first off she was a flighted as a Dodo, when they grew back,
all but two tail feathers went the following week ( she has 8)
That buggered up her braking and steering :D

Donut by name, Donut by nature :D

That's a really beautiful image - don't mind the bg at all. Covered? Doughnuts are "covered" in sugar, this one in feathers ... what's wrong with that - prey do tell :rolleyes:

That's a really beautiful image - don't mind the bg at all. Covered? Doughnuts are "covered" in sugar, this one in feathers ...
Thanks Carl, (y)
and of course you are absolutely right
:D
Other similarities include, she is mostly brown on the back, whitish on the front, and if you squeeze her really hard "red" comes out"
:D

what's wrong with that - prey do tell :rolleyes:
Groan :D

hi, lot of bases covered there then, feathers and hand and you say you are no good at this :rolleyes:

nice bird (y)

hi, lot of bases covered there then, feathers and hand and you say you are no good at this :rolleyes:

nice bird (y)
LOL Thanks for dropping by Allan (y)
(I'll get the hang of it one day I'm sure :D )

OK,OK you made the point about the theme! ;)

Nice bird, stands out well against that background

Magnificent bird! Love the details in this one... The background actually makes the brown feathers stand out :clap:
Thanks Nora, I'll pass your compliment on to Donut :D
I appreciate you dropping by (y)

Lets put it this way, she is now, you should have seen her mid moult :D
They are supposed to moult, opposing pairs of feathers, protect the new ones growing through, and not drop more until they have grown.
So they can still fly and hunt.

Donut lived up to her name, all but two fight feathers were dropped one week end ( she has 10)
So first off she was a flighted as a Dodo, when they grew back,
all but two tail feathers went the following week ( she has 8)
That buggered up her braking and steering :D

Donut by name, Donut by nature :D
Now that I would have liked to see :LOL:

Now that I would have liked to see :LOL:
Nothing to see move along :D

She is a first year bird, so its her first moult.
She was working at the time, so I kept her weight on the low side, to stop her from moulting.

She had a break, so I put her weight up a little ...
The rest is history :D

Not as straight forward looking after them then Chris... trial and error ??
TBH It wasn't unexpected Dean, I've been doing this over 20 years, so
I hope that the trial and error stage is well behind me :D

Yup, lovely. Wish I had the time and commitment to look after a bird like that. I totally fell in love with a Chilean eagle a couple of years ago, at the bird of prey centre out near old warden, it would have been unfair to get one, so I never did.

But could you imagine flying a bird out of the balloon basket? What do you think, is that viable? Wanna come and do it? Imagine the photos we could get as it flew close to the basket.

Pm me. ;)

I totally fell in love with a Chilean eagle a couple of years ago,
Lovely looking birds thats for sure!

But could you imagine flying a bird out of the balloon basket?
Actually that's how the air speed record was set for a Peregrine in a stoop ( dive)
A guy took one up ( I can't remember the exact figures ) a few thousand feet, the falconer below was swinging a lure,
And the Peregrine was clocked at circa 180Mph.

There is no way on this Earth that you'd ever get me up in one of those things.
There was a guy on here that used to take pictures from one of those things,that you sat in and had a motor strapped to his back,
over the Cairngorms, as much as I liked looking at his images, my testicles used to retract every time I looked at them :D

Actually Donut is a "grass cutter" She is a deterrent bird, on landfills I trained her to stay low and cut across and through the the gulls as they attempted to feed.

(the offer is appreciated though)

I haven't been in here for a while, as usual you do not disappoint with your entertaining shoe horns. Although I must be honest I was shocked how little of a shoehorn if any Shimmer was, outstanding shot and spot on theme, the others well what can I can i say that differs to anyone else. nothing really just always make me laugh and the quality is spot on. Nearly done it, is there an award for most shoehorns? lol!

I'm a bit late looking in this week ....I think Donut is an excellent choice for the theme ....I haven't even done mine yet .....I keep eating the props :D

It must be a fascinating hobby to handle such a beautiful bird ....a smashing shot and we even get three aspects for the theme ....no shoehorn this week :)

Last edited:
.I haven't even done mine yet .....I keep eating the props :D
Sounds like a plan to me, (Assuming that it is normally edible of course :D )

It must be a fascinating hobby to handle such a beautiful bird
Tis part of my job Susie, bird deterrent work, all part and parcel of pest control, its not all about rats :D
.a smashing shot and we even get three aspects for the theme ....no shoehorn this week :)
Thanks for stopping by (y)

So, I must admit that this one had me stumped,
However a quick look through the archives produced a couple of results.
And not a shoe horn in sight.
Well and truly connected

Incredibly harsh light and weird shadows though :(
Boar.jpg

And in case you were wondering, Elephants have their teats between their front legs.

Ele2.jpg

Disappointed that the run of shoe horns have come to an end but both these fit the bill beautifully. Natural maternal connections. :clap:

Hi, archive how dare you :naughty:

I like the boar pic and no shoehorn required not sure if thats a failure for you :LOL:

Nicely on topic and it continues your wildlife theme (y)

Hi, archive how dare you :naughty:

I like the boar pic and no shoehorn required not sure if thats a failure for you :LOL:
Cheers Guys (y)

Yeah I know Allan :(
But I was well and truly stuck this week :(
I won't let it happen again :D

They are certainly connected!! The elephant shot is great! It is a shame mankind has only learned how to make knife handles from elephants - oh and yes, probably quite a few shoehorns!

thanks for continuing the wildlife theme
My pleasure David :D

Like the thinking, connected in a number of ways

They are certainly connected!! The elephant shot is great! It is a shame mankind has only learned how to make knife handles from elephants - oh and yes, probably quite a few shoehorns!
LOL @ the shoehorn comment :D
Unfortunately Ivory has so many "uses" what a waste of a magnificent animal eh? :(

Love your animal shots... It's spot on theme, no shoehorns needed :clap: (Just found out about the elephant fact... Learning new things everyday, eh?)
Thanks guys much appreciated (y)

Back