weekly Cobra's epic fail for 2015, week 52 A Christmas shoe horn and done :)

Hi Cobra. I suppose it is down to individual interpretation so no rights or wrongs. Both these seem fine to me. Amazing at the strength of that web holding up that amount of water. My fave is the second though - beautiful reflection .... erm .... correction, I mean shimmer.
a reflection by any other name Eh? :D
Thanks Carl, oh and btw that web was a good 2 feet across!

Hi there...nowt like a spiders web for shimmer, love the choice ...as Carl says they are amazing, the spiders in my garden leap three feet and spin a web at the same time ...very clever indeed. I think its a bit on the bright side and would up the shadows a bit (might be my computer screen)...but spot on for the theme to me.
Shimmery reflection ...what's not to like, a smashing shot :)
Yeah, how do they do that? pretty damned clever indeed!
On reflection ( :D ) I think you are probaly right, it was taken on a very damp very misty morning, and I tweaked the contrast,
a little too much I guess.
Thanks for dropping by Susie (y)

hi, spiders web works well little less DoF might have worked better
I'm afraid that would have been difficult, it was in a very dense meadow, fulll of webs, I had to clear a little foliage in the front to actually get to it.
Thanks for your comments and suggestion Allan (y)

I think both Inverse shots are on theme AND the web AND the drinking big cat.

You're loosing your touch! :D

Last edited:
That water laden web is incredible, but yeah an OOF BG would give it a boost.

That water laden web is incredible, but yeah an OOF BG would give it a boost.
Cheers David (y)
But as I replied to Allan, that was the best I could manage.

I'm afraid that would have been difficult, it was in a very dense meadow, fulll of webs, I had to clear a little foliage in the front to actually get to it.

Hey there Mr Hissy
Just catching up on a few...

Alphabet & machine: Fascinating machines using an almost indecipherable alphabet. I like No2 as well. Good colours and loads going on.
Animal: No 3 for me as, like you, I feel how he looks after a week at "that place" :mad:
Proverb (I think): Gotta be the Bird of Prey triptych for me - I never tire of seeing them in action.
Support: Undecided between 2 and 3... I think I'll go for No 2 - I guess the 'eyes' have it :D
Fashion: Your shoe horn must be showing considerable wear by now! Great shot and it's where a fur coat should be (y)
Chilled: Yep, hey are that. All great shots :D
Inverted: Mr Batty Bat for me :)
Shimmer: I echo others DoF comments on the web shot. I think I prefer the big cat shot - I am not worthy! Is there any subject matter that you can't shoehorn a big cat into? ;) :D

Is there any subject matter that you can't shoehorn a big cat into? ;) :D
Thanks for dropping by and commenting Lee (y)

In answer to the question, I think I may struggle with this weeks theme not my finest hour :D

Week 43
Ele
phant (y)

ele-jpg.49104

Damn! its Ele
ment isn't it? :(

OK try Fire - Water then
But I still managed a shoe horn (y) :D

j-d-jpg.49105

Last edited:
:(.... :) :LOL:
Not sure about Ele but Jack fits the horn.... I mean........theme
Well you know, any excuse to shoehorn.jpg :D

Cheers Stan (y)

Aw! Cute wee Ele - very snappy dresser in that straw hat too, but I think the fire water is probably a better fit for the theme ... which is probably more than you would be after a swig of that :D !

jack fits the theme for me, good try with ele didn't realise you had a lisp :facepalm:

w! Cute wee Ele - very snappy dresser in that straw hat too, but I think the fire water is probably a better fit for the theme ... which is probably more than you would be after a swig of that :D !
You don't really think I'd set light to a bottle of JD do you?
That was an empty bottle refilled with cold tea ( yes really)
Cheers Carl (y)

didn't realise you had a lisp :facepalm:
Nor did I till justhed recthently :D
jack fits the theme for me, good try with ele
Thanks Allan (y)

hahaha, great fun...

The bottle shot is spot on low key exposure. I think I would crop away half of the reflection - this is subjective of course - nice take on the theme. (y)

Hi there ...your Ellie made me laugh ...what a cute photo ...I don't care if it doesn't fit the theme.

JD ...an excellent idea ...is that bottle crooked ...or is it my eyes o_O I think if it wasn't cropped so long and thin it would look a bit more balanced ...it would be a shame to loose the reflection.

Hi there ...your Ellie made me laugh ...what a cute photo ...I don't care if it doesn't fit the theme.
Thanks Susie, I'd glad it amused you (y)
The surface was slightly distorted I hadn't realised till you just said, so yes the reflection is a bit out.
I was in another too minds as to whether portrait or landscape.
Thanks for commenting :)

Any better?

JD1.jpg

Last edited:
....and centred,
I thought it was dead center, but You are quite right I put it back into photoshop and its about 2mm off center,
which is the width of the half border I added

dont ask for much do I :D
No problem Susie, it's good to be reminded now and again, why I am no longer married :p
:D

JD for me. Slightly OOF but nice composition in the edit.

Cheers.
Cheers Andy, not sure how that happened it focus locked on it OK,
but I agree sumting not quite right.

Seasonal ..
A bit of a Cheet(ah)
But it is looking into the low Autumnal sun ;)

ch1-jpg.49532

And what is more scary, on all Hallows eve than a Wolverine?

wr2-jpg.49533

Hi, not sure the shoehorn is strong enough for you anymore a large crowbar maybe more appropriate :LOL:

Cracking shot of the wolverine though (y)

Both brilliant images. Beautiful dusk light for the cheetah but that wolverine shot is absolutely superb - I'd have it framed. :clap:

Both brilliant images. Beautiful dusk light for the cheetah but that wolverine shot is absolutely superb - I'd have it framed. :clap:
Blimey! Thanks Carl. (y)

Loving the colours of the 'golden hour' on the cheetah but the Wolverine is spectacular ( sorry, I meant quite nice ;))

Hey Chris :)

Missed a few sorry, so a quick catch up from me...

Inverse - HaHaaaa well spotted, I had to look twice to see if you had just flipped one hare, perfect for the theme, but of the two submitted I really like the bat image, the oranges ?? are a bit overpowering but the detail of the bat is great :)

Shimmer - Now that is a great web, I tried to get one today that looked great when I spotted it, but an hour later and it was naf, either way it was nowhere near the scale of this one, a work of art that does be (y)

Shimmer 2 - Great reflection and well shoehorned in :D

Element - What can one say :facepalm: :D

Seasonal - Fantastic light in the cheetah shot and a great composition too, he really likes posing for you !!! -, and the scary wolverine, unbelievable you got a gobshot in the theme too :D... but I must say, both great captures (y)

crazy colours on the cheetah, did you cheetah the whitah balancah? ;)

RE: that close up of the bear... 'kinell,:eek: how are you still here? :D

Inverse - HaHaaaa well spotted, I had to look twice to see if you had just flipped one hare,
No trickery they just happened to be sat like that, pure fluke :)
(They're Patagonian Mara BTW )
Element - What can one say :facepalm: :D
:whistle:

:D

unbelievable you got a gobshot in the theme too :D
Every now and again the opportunity presents its self, It'd be wrong to pass it up wouldn't it? :D
Thanks for dropping by Dean (y)

crazy colours on the cheetah, did you cheetah the whitah balancah? ;)
Nope, no tweaks, Brian, just a slight crop & re-size and a tad USM, the light is unbelievable up there, in the Autumn / winter, when its clear and the sun is low,
it shines straight across the Cheetah paddock (y)
RE: that close up of the bear... 'kinell,:eek: how are you still here? :D
LOL its in a bit of a pit, it was close but I was shooting slightly down on it.
Thanks for dropping by Brian (y)

Back