weekly Crazylady's 52 for 2014 - End and Positive added

Thanks Mandy, know it will be tough at times but know it will be worth it

Hi Hazel, welcome to the challenge (y)
A great start to the 52, I like the abstract feel to the image whilst still being able to see what it is.
Simple yet very effective

Iain

Hi welcome aboard, I'm with Iain simple but effective
good start to your challenge

Hi Hazel, welcome to the challenge (y)
A great start to the 52, I like the abstract feel to the image whilst still being able to see what it is.
Simple yet very effective

Iain

Hi welcome aboard, I'm with Iain simple but effective
good start to your challenge

Good start, nice use of the "rule of thirds"

welcome nice and simple well lit and shot, I like it :)

Thanks for all your comments and welcoming, much appreciated.

I am still pondering play, had a couple of ideas, looking forward to having a play with some of them myself!

Last edited:
I'm with the simple but effective group too. Very nice.

Simple and straightforward. Good luck with the next. :)

I Like it, good use of light and shadows :plus1:

Hi Hazel & a belated welcome from me :wave:

Agree with other's comments , simple & effective , great way to start your 52 :)

ps....I can't get the link to work to here in the pic only thread :thinking:

Lost my mojo a bit recently and then got a bit overwhelmed by catching up. Finally decided to carry on and catch up as I can.

Firstly.....

Sense

View attachment 6329

This made me smile as soon as I saw this tree stump whilst recently walking. It immediately struck me as this was my sense of humour, both mine and I guess the person who put it on the tree stump in the first place and would also fit the theme.

Secondly:

Bubble

View attachment 6331

I had various ideas for this, but this was the final idea. Just used a glass of milk and blew the bubbles from a straw. Converted it to black and white for extra impact afterwards

Sense - I like your sense of humour take on the theme, I like the colours and texture on the tree.

Bubble - fits the theme nicely plenty of bubbles to be seen. Crit wise the image looks a little soft to me, and I think I would prefer a colour version.

Hello Hazel,

Sense -- Cute - it made me smile, too. Also, it is different to anything else I've seen posted for this theme.

Bubbles -- I really like this. The composition, contrast and the fact that it's b&w.

Hang in there! :)

Sense - I like your sense of humour take on the theme, I like the colours and texture on the tree.

Bubble - fits the theme nicely plenty of bubbles to be seen. Crit wise the image looks a little soft to me, and I think I would prefer a colour version.

Thanks Mandy

I agree about the softness of the image if I am totally honest with you. I think this is somehing i shall retake to improve on for next time, so i wont upload the colour version.

Nice bubbles, like the b&w

Thanks Colin, i felt the b&w added to the image

Hello Hazel,

Sense -- Cute - it made me smile, too. Also, it is different to anything else I've seen posted for this theme.

Bubbles -- I really like this. The composition, contrast and the fact that it's b&w.

Hang in there! :)

Hi Natalie

Sense - it was both the humour and the originality that appealed to me with this one
Bubbles, as above i will retake. I am fairly happy with the composition and preferred the contrasty b&w, but...

Sense ...yes perfect for the theme....and quirky too.

I really like the bubbles they look like stained glass.

Thanks Susie
Agree about the quirkiness of sense, that seems to sum up mysense of humour in more ways than one!
Bubble, i liked the veins between the bubbles which was why i added the extra contrast to emphasise these

Hi Hazel

whilst I like the texture in the bark & see the link to the them ,as an image it's not doing much for me....sorry

Bubble however really works for me , softness doesn't worry me to much as it's very slight , the bg is perfectly black , the shapes & lines between the bubbles & the mono I really love :clap:

Sense - doesn't do much for me, I'm afraid.

Bubbles - like this one. Nice clarity in the bubbles and b/w conversion.

Sense - This was well seen by the "artist" but also by yourself to fit the theme

Bubble - Just a bit soft but I like the patterns in this and I think the mono approach works well.

Sense - Like that, sense of humor fits well, nice colour to the stump too :)

Bubble - Could be a tad sharper, but like the close in image, and the use of milk helps the B&W image work very well :)

Keep them coming... catch up in your own time, no rush !!!

Hi, sorry I am only just checking in.

Some great images so far, I love the simplicity of Linear, Bubbles looks a little soft but the mono conversion works well.

Hi Hazel

whilst I like the texture in the bark & see the link to the them ,as an image it's not doing much for me....sorry

Bubble however really works for me , softness doesn't worry me to much as it's very slight , the bg is perfectly black , the shapes & lines between the bubbles & the mono I really love :clap:

Thanks Lynne, I know sense is not a very strong image and is more of a grab shot.
Bubble is a definite retake once I have caught up with the 52 weekly backlog.

Sense - doesn't do much for me, I'm afraid.

Bubbles - like this one. Nice clarity in the bubbles and b/w conversion.

Thanks Mercurius, as above, the smile just made me smile!

Sense - This was well seen by the "artist" but also by yourself to fit the theme

Bubble - Just a bit soft but I like the patterns in this and I think the mono approach works well.

Thanks Peter, as above, know it is definitely not a keeper, but if it makes you smile........!

Sense - Like that, sense of humor fits well, nice colour to the stump too :)

Bubble - Could be a tad sharper, but like the close in image, and the use of milk helps the B&W image work very well :)

Keep them coming... catch up in your own time, no rush !!!

Thanks Dark Knight for your encouragement

Hi, sorry I am only just checking in.

Some great images so far, I love the simplicity of Linear, Bubbles looks a little soft but the mono conversion works well.

Thanks John!

:wave: Hazel, I've no idea how, but I've missed calling at your thread before now, sorry :)

You have some good takes on the themes, I'm liking bubble (y)

Ending

View attachment 6950

Positive

View attachment 6951

This one ended up as a kind of word association.................... I started with positive, and ideas for that, then came up with +/- exposure and then decided on high key as "positive exposure", then decided to make the subject a key as I liked the play on words that would give! :wacky:

Last edited:
Ending - fits the theme for me a nice simple image good composition.

Positive - I like the composition, and the pov, and the good use of dof. I do find myself struggling to see how it fits the theme.

Hi Mandy

It was really to do with positive or + exposure to make the high key...... its just the way my mind works.!!!!
:D

:wave: Hazel, I've no idea how, but I've missed calling at your thread before now, sorry :)

You have some good takes on the themes, I'm liking bubble (y)

Hi Phil-D

No worries, I am playing a bit of a catch up game anyway! Thanks for your positive comments
:)

Hi bit of a crop off the bottom and LHS of ending might work better :thinking:
Positive I get it with your explanation, nice composition too

Good ending shot, nice colour scheme chosen and it's kind of solemn (is that the right word?). I like it.
Secondly, the Positive shot is a good one - nice lighting, but it's a very tenuous link to the theme!

Back