weekly d00d's 52 in 2014 ... Week 51 : Extravagant

Hi David

Change #1 for me , love the low POV , empty background & placement in the frame (y) Focus was never going to be easy with the foremost leaf being the man problem - possible candidate for a bit of focus stacking maybe ? I'd also have removed the green plant that's lurking behind the main one just to tidy the shot up a bit .

Yes thanks Lynne .... focus stacking, will give it a try one day ... in the comfort of my own home.

Hi David

Grow - Only No: 1 up so I'll choose that one :D

A real nice shot, love the bottom half of the shot, I'd be tempted to take a good chunk off the top... The second shot posted at the different angle shows more clearly what it is, but for me the No: 1 shot works so well for me due to the unknown (y)

Hi David... Grow #1 for me as I find the POV far more unusual and interesting. Really has a "desert" feel to it. There's something which doesn't quite sit 100% right with me, but I can't quite put my finger on it... not sure if focus/DOF or something but it's nagging slightly at me. Otherwise it's a really great take for the theme. Did I say I like the angle? :)

#2 for me, I like the triangle formed by the drain cover and the black behind the seedling just gives it a more more pop.

The slightly higher POV also makes it seem smaller which helps

Grow #1 ..................There's something which doesn't quite sit 100% right with me, but I can't quite put my finger on it... not sure if focus/DOF or something

I did think it was a touch soft, or misplaced focus maybe, I;d expect it to be mainly on the stem here. :thinking:

Last edited:
Hi d00d ...I've made it here at last ...I had a really busy week last week.

The moment I saw your shots I loved them ... the first one is very soft focus but I don't mind that...it gives it a really natural feel of that little plant struggling against all odds and looking quite wistful o_O :)

I really like the second one too ... is this the new camera ...you seem to be getting a fabulous DOF in these last few images...did you use macro ?

Thanks guys for your comments ... interesting to get feedback on the two version of the same thing. (y)

Hi, took a while for me to get it, the blue and the yellow work well together a very striking image, well spotted (y)

Yep,as Allen said, well spotted David, , good contrasting colours work well together (y) I had to study it miself before it all became apparent :clap:.......it does give the illusion it needs a very slight cc rotation, but a quick check tells mi I think I'm wrong :confused: :D

Thanks guys ... glad you like it.

I was afraid I may have boosted the colours a bit too much ... but that over the top contrast is what I was looking for.

That's super David, colours are spot on to me.

Love the different items in each of the four balconies, and the clothes airer inside one of the windows is great.

Live, one of the best yet, IMO. really well composed and square crop was the only way. The colours work really well as do the blue reflections in the sky. Pity there wasn't a person leaning on the rail in one of the windows :)

Cheers.

Hi David

Live is exceptional - really really super! Love the colours and processing, which has really enhanced an already good image. It has an element of Warhol about it, but it's not copying the style... you've stayed on the bus and it's your image (google Helsinki Bus Station Theory for an explanation of this one).

For me there is no way to improve this image... absolutely stunning :clap:

Balance - #2 for me. The textured surface thrown quickly oof is super. Although my OCD would want to straighten them all up I'm glad they aren't as it's a much stronger image for it.

Change - #2 again for me as the blacks have more depth to them. Whilst I don't mind the barrel being cropped on the left hand side I think I'd have like to have seen all the circumference of the lens on the right. Nice composition though and lovely lighting behind.

Grow - I'll opt for #1 on this theme. I like the much lower POV which gives the seedling more of a sense of isolation in the scene. Another good example of shallow DOF as well.

Live - Great colours in this which compliment each other. Nicely seen for the theme. I even like the rose(?) plants on the bottom balcony.

Prefer #2 - better focus, composition and colours and it just seems to give a better idea of the context and emphasises how nature conquers adversity and makes things grow wherever there's the slightest opportunity. (y)

How did I miss Live first time round? Excellent shot, love the ott colours, composition and Mondrian-ish feel to it - much better than the sales brochure shot! I wouldn't fancy living in their apartment block, but I'd love to live in yours :clap:

Well thanks all for your positive comments (y)

I had a meeting up the West End yesterday and thought I'd get a "First" pic of a building facade/windows ... searched "First" & "1st" on google maps/streetview and found an an art gallery and a hairdressers in Chinatown, and ended up with the image below.

Also, incidentally, popped into see this: http://www.gettyimagesgallery.com/exhibitions/archive/michael-putland.aspx

First: I've got a full frontal very clean & sharp but a little unexciting. Had trouble getting the POV I really wanted because of a lamppost! Here I focused on the sign, but now feel I should have tried upping the F stops ... I dunno. I'm quite into warts&all street pics so thought I'd include the phone box, mangled bike etc.

first3.jpg

Think I'll post selective colour on the main thread:
first4.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, First, well spotted. I don't mind the SC, but my main concern is the focus of the them, the 1st Cut if pushed right over to the RHS. I think there are better compositions in there, maybe much lower, looking up??

Cheers.

Hi, not the biggest fan of SC but I feel here it works better than the colour version, I am with you about the bike and phonebox they do need to be there, just a little more exposure as it seems a tiny bit dark

Hmmm yes ... I had to get too close to avoid being behind a lamp-post. I could have shopped it out in PP but that would be cheating.

I've got a new camera (D5300) with a tilt-swivel display ... and I'm enjoying taking pics with it held at arms length above my head!:D

Hi David

I actually prefer the full color shot for First , the colors being muted enough through the DOF to still make the main subject pop from the image (y) Composition wise I can't offer much crrit/advice as I struggle with street type images

Spot colour and square crop both spot on for me - it cuts out all the distracting signs and changes the whole focal point of the shot to draw attention to the hairdressers. (y)

Thanks ladies ... I'm not sure which one I prefer, I know it's not the best pic I've posted on here.

Been playing with another 1st ... as nobody else has attempted this:

FIRST%2B5.jpg

Hi David... toughie these two themes, aren't they?

I like the idea on cut but as I've found with street photography, it is easy for the eye to wander. I think the composition could be stronger on that.

First is a great idea but I think it does need more development... You've played with angle (albeit only in one dimension) but maybe DOF and lighting could be experimented with to give more texture and dimension? Also not entirely sure the background works for me, but that might just be me!

Hi David

Cut - (thought it was First:rolleyes:) #1 for me as the yellow colour pops out enough without the need for the selective approach. I would consider ta crop just to the left of the telephone box and an increase in the exposure. Also agree with Andy @posiview about another potential pov.

First - I like that - good idea for the theme which had not crossed my mind. Limited range of colours works and the grey b/g suits the image. Nice abstract feel(y)

Smooth - #2 for me. Good idea of the bright b/g. good detail in the toast and that small amount of melt helps convey the feeling of warmth and adds to the 'smoothness' of the butter. Another good shot

Thanks all for your comments.

Better mention, if it's not obvious, the stamp in rotated in pp and the BG grey is artificial. So yes ... abstract.

And Paul ... 1st Cut is 1st not Cut. ;)

Last edited:
Hi, love the rich primary coloured BG on both of these but the first one has some shadow issues, the second one is brilliant works really well and the lighting is very good :clap:

Back