weekly d00d's 52 in 2014 ... Week 51 : Extravagant

Hi guys ... thanks for the feedback ... I like (slightly, intimately) backlit objects but have been told before about them looking flat, so must bear that in mind.

This was taken at home ... plastic cup on a box on top of a table, same height as the mantelpiece where there's glittering christmassy things inc. a string of tiny white lights, and a big mirror above.

The marigold inflated and sealed with freezer bag clip. What fun.

Nonsense......that's handy .........:tumbleweed::D

Great fun take on the theme David (y)

Hi. Nonsense, that is a weird one. I, one foe clean BGs and I think a clean and clinical white BG would work better here.

Don't forget to change tour thread title (y)

Cheers.

Thanks for commenting ... Happy Holiday to all 52ers :kiss:

With 5 stars in mind for Extravagant, I took a trip up the West End mid/late afternoon yesterday ... Claridges & The Dorchester were both disappointingly difficult due to obstructions and not having a wide enough angled lens. So this, I think unusual, shot of The Ritz it is!

Week 51 : Extravagant

extravagant.jpg

Hi, very extravagant indeed could do with a little lighten looks a tad under exposed, well thought out for the subject, which was more than I did (y)

Thanks Alan. I arrived at the scene a little early, it was just dark enough for the sign to be lit but my aim was to shoot at dusk or dark. In PP I used Curves which made it look darker whilst increasing the artificial light contrast.

Last edited:
Hi David :)

Liking your thought with this one, and your aim to get there in low light, good that it is not busy, there are a few distracting elements but not really anything you could do with them (No entry sign dead centre Etc) liking the arches leading away to the right and the illuminated sign, you did well with the minimal light :)

the arch to the left is good, and as DK says the receding line to the right works really well, like teh people to give a sense of scale.

I also though a touch dark, but if that was your intention, then cool. :)

great job getting all the verticals so. That would have been a problem had they not been . :)

Hi, lacks a little punch, but apart from a slight crop, it really works. I actually like the inclusion of the No Entry sign because for most people it is a case of No Entry into the Ritz :)

Cheers.

Hi David

nonsense - creative idea and like the comp. Like the backlighting and the glittery bits at the bottom - less do the thingy in the b/g behind the glove. Clever stuff

Extravagant - good positioning for the shot with the receding arches to the right. A bit underexposed i feel

A very extravagant idea :clap: The level of light looks just right to me and I love the perspective of the colonnades (y)

Hiya David

Extravagence: well that's definitely on theme. The dining room even more so, TBH, but I'm not sure what they're like about you stepping in just to take photos. A little birdie also tells me their suites are fairly opulent too :) As far as the image goes, the composition is very nice for me: don't mind about the road sign and the only other option I would have seen would have been to use an even wider angle and get closer to that near arch and "The Ritz" sign but still keep the right side arches in as a leading line (and perhaps capture more of them with a UWA). But it's great as is, compositionally. For me it could do with perhaps a stop more exposure, but that may well have been the real conditions: gloomy and perhaps about to rain? Good image.

Only one to go! :)

Nonsense - An amusing take on the theme. I think the central positioning works on this as does the bright background which almost gives it a sense of a realistic setting

Extravagant - A bit too under exposed for me I'm afraid although I see what you were trying to achieve for the theme.

Thanks for all the input chaps. (y)

Next time, to get that dusk feeling, I'll try to remember to use exposure compensation on the camera instead of tweaking curves in PP.

I thought the No Entry sign was a bonus but now I wish I'd removed it.

OK ... here's my

Week 52 - Support
..... the first time I've used that black velvet I bought six months ago.

support.jpg

Last edited:
Works well! A very effective shot and a great end to the year :clap:

:clap: thanks Elaine ... happy new year to you.

now wondering if I should have put something on the left side ... but I don't know what ... a life SUPPORT machine maybe, but I don't have one handy .... thankfully.

Last edited:
Thanks DK & susie (y)

Did I enjoy it? ... erm ... it can be frustrating and time-consuming ... but also it's addictive.

:ty: :runaway: :woot:

Back