weekly d00d's 52s in 2021 > Week 11 ~ Smooth

Rough
Lots of detail in the rust, I like the spiders web and the background, which is nicely out of focus.
Thank you Dominic.

Striking colours and lovely sharp detail.

Edit: just spotted your reflection photo - that's a true reflection of lockdown isn't it? It does send your eyes a bit funny but there is so much to see, I really like it.
... and Bebop. And the true reflection of lockdown comment: isn't it just. ;)

So my 1st impression was the OCD desire to see this rotated 90 degrees clockwise. The detail is lovely but it's the shape that strikes me, and it feels awkward in this landscape format.

Colours are fab though!

Thanks Ian.

I agree, it looks like it should be sticking up, or down! But it's just a piece of old iron we've had in our garden forever; I don't know what it is/was.

That's a cracker. Lovely tones, colours and the oof background is lovely.
Thanks ... I shot it indoors first, then thought what this need is an OOF privet hedge BG, you can't beat it.

Some great detail in your shot.. including the spider. There is something about the combination of rust and green that really works so a good choice to take it outside.

Nice piece of old rusty iron, good BG
Thank you Allan

Some great detail in your shot.. including the spider. There is something about the combination of rust and green that really works so a good choice to take it outside.
Thanks Helen ... yes, rust and green, I hadn't really thought about it, but of course you are right.

That works for me, the rust against the greens and yellows is a pleasing combination. The cobwebs finish it nicely.

That works, lovely detail and good DoF

Reflection
It certainly plays tricks with your eyes, a lot of time I see a good reflection but a camera image doesn’t do it justice, in this case it is clearly conveyed

Rough
Does confuse a bit given it’s orientation but good detail and pleasing DOF. It only needed an obliging spider to create a perfect web around the implied circle, maybe it did exist and you captured what was left of it

Good work David, I like the colour tones in the image, very pleasing on the eye.

Reflection
It certainly plays tricks with your eyes, a lot of time I see a good reflection but a camera image doesn’t do it justice, in this case it is clearly conveyed

Rough
Does confuse a bit given it’s orientation but good detail and pleasing DOF. It only needed an obliging spider to create a perfect web around the implied circle, maybe it did exist and you captured what was left of it
Worthy critique, thank you Stuart.

BTW: just looked at your profile ... Lumix 12-60mm ZoomLens, Lumix 25mm F1.7 Prime, Lumix 45-150mm ZoomLens, Lumix 100-300mm ZoomLens ... exactly the same as my collection and in the order I bought them. :D

Week 11 ~ Smooth as silk scarf.

ACtC-3co6PT9WgWY5kJ1Cu-O6XOn_NwP1YCjbFx4Tp2nH6lR5quemm8JJTQFjOUS49vjARuprQp0yVUYITOWLWJ7oVNzPYwyw2pW38dHB3qYPJqKGeGxBar9Q77T9GvWQWrxIjRdXQdQpflRKyZpPTY-3qDung=w1315-h867-no

Plain and simple David (y)

Really nice simple composition. Not screaming smooth at me but the title helps! That bright background really sets the subject off. Nice work.

Yep - smoothly done :)

I really like the composition.

It's simple in the best possible use of the word.
Thanks Kell, I try to keep it simple, which is not always as easy as it looks. ;)

As others have said, simple but effective. The title eases it into this week's theme. Good work.

I like that. Could be a product shot! The off centre composition makes it for me.

I like that. Could be a product shot! The off centre composition makes it for me.
Thanks Helen. I fiddled around for hours (off & on) with that chair and that scarf. And then, the shot you see, I flipped horizontally. There's no room to swing a cat in my studio.

Keeping it simple d00d, that’s a very cool shot, it’s amazing how long it takes to make it look as if you’ve just cast something casually aside isn’t it :)
"cool", that's cool.

I like Smooth, but I do wonder how it would look in B&W?

Thanks. I generally prefer colour to B&W, and I think there are some nice tones in this.

I did have another shot for smooth ... a smear of yellow butter on a green plastic chopping board, I thought the colour was good, then converted to B&W, though it looked amazing, before scrapping the idea. :p

HERE it is.

Last edited:
Half is a well seen image. I personally prefer the mono version. I do wonder how long it will last!
Reflections had me looking at my glasses too. Good shot and looks like a nice place to sit and watch the world go by from your other photo.
Rough is far from it! It is a cracking image and perfect for the theme. The colours are stunning!
Smooth is very good and fits the bill. I do wonder what a portrait shot including a bit more of the chair would look like?

Smooth
Fits the criteria although I think using the scarf which is long vertically would lend the image to being portrait and the full chair included. I think the implied story could be stronger viewing the full chair

Back