weekly Dan's Photo52 Challenge - Wk 7 Root Added

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
My Photography of late has got a bit stale and I have been struggling to find a subject or drive for my Photography Passions, so here is my attempt at a 52 Challenge, A Photo per week could be interesting.

Ill give my self 3 jokers as I will be away on work for a little bit in spring and I hope to be able to complete it. Ill use whichever form of camera I have available.

[Post=4298447]Week 1 - Direction[/post]
[Post=4318515]Week 2 - Fear[/post]
[Post=4366916]Week 3 & 4 - Sigh & Sweet[/post]
[post=4376562]Week 5 - Secure[/post]
[post=4409549]Week 6 - Industry[/post][post=4415046] And Edit[/post]
[post=4415046]Week 7 - Root[/post]

Last edited:
Here is my take on the theme, a little tenuous maybe, its the Direction's for fitting the cleats to my new SPD shoes and pedals. It also marks a new Direction into riding with this type of pedal. I can see a lot of falling off.

I was using my 7D and practising firing the Speedlight from the camera using the on camera flash as a lower powered fill in. I had shot some with very little shadow but didn't think they had as much impact as this one.

Hope you like.

Week 1 - Direction by danhardwick, on Flickr

***** Edit ******

Removed the crop as per comments below.

Week 1 - Direction Re-Edit by danhardwick, on Flickr

Last edited:
subbed Dan, interested to see how you get on mate. Nice pic by the way, fell off much using the cleats?

Happysnapper79 said:
subbed Dan, interested to see how you get on mate. Nice pic by the way, fell off much using the cleats?

Cheers. I've got ideas for this weeks fear topic just need to get out and do them.

The pedals got me a good 'un the other day my right leg was bleeding well. Only scratches but stung a bit.

Like your first shot Dan, shame the toe and the tool have been clipped slightly but great start and I look forward to seeing week 2 :)

Like your first shot Dan, shame the toe and the tool have been clipped slightly but great start and I look forward to seeing week 2 :)

Thanks, I think one of the shots I took had the whole lot in, ill have a check.

I see your from Chesterfield, I was born and raised there and left when I was about 20 after joining the RAF, Still love the place but been in Norfolk for about 10 years now.

My shot for next week might have a mountain bike theme to it as well, I just need to try and pull it off.

nice take on the theme

Hi Dan & nice start to your project .

All my thoughts already mentioned so just a(y) from me & look forward to seeing your Fear shot:)

Week 2 - Fear

So this week made me think a little bit more than lay week. I eventually came up with this shot in my mind and it came out quite well although I'm not entirely sure it would spell out fear without a description.

It's a drop off a ledge into a bomb hole and many years ago these used to strike fear into me of going head over heals into it. I still fear then but for different reasons I think, even though I am now a lot more experienced cyclist.

I wanted to recreate the tunnel vision feeling you get when something you fear happens at speed.

So here it is

Week 2 - Fear by danhardwick, on Flickr

Shot on my trusty 30D as I could bring myself to ride around the woods with the 7D stuffed in my back pack.
What you can't really see is the 3 foot vertical drop just in front of the front wheel.

Shot at 1/40 f5 and ISO 200.

Last edited:
Dan, the fear shot is really good, as in Lynne's comment really makes my eyes go funny, and theres a real sense of movement

yep loving the fear pic, makes me go dizzy lol

I like your processing on your fear image Dan, it conveys a real sense of speed and movement as you head towards that gap in the trees. I think seeing your hands on the bars would have really made the image for me. Good work though (y) Iain

The fear photo is superb (y) It actually makes me feel like im falling just looking at it !

Direction - I prefer the edit which shows the toe of the left hand shoe and the whole of the tool.

Fear - I like your interpretation on this theme. The zoom effect works well.

Absolutely love your tack on the fear theme, and think you got your shot spot on.
Does give me a head ache looking at it though :LOL:

Great shots and look forward to seeing the coming weeks.

I see your from Chesterfield, I was born and raised there and left when I was about 20 after joining the RAF, Still love the place but been in Norfolk for about 10 years now.

It's a small world! Where abouts in Chesterfield did you live? I'm in Clowne.

Love your take on fear, excellent capture. Being in that position would definitely give me fear.

Woah, spot on for fear! Perfect use of an effect I've tried and failed with several times!

Great take in fear, I know it well that feeling of a bomb hole. Just bought another bike to get back into it but doubt I've got the stones to be as mad as I used to be.

Good work :)

Thanks for all of the great comments :D, I am really pleased with week two, came out just as I wanted it, apologies for the Nausea it creates :puke:. If it's any consolation it makes me feel the same. It would appear I have some effort to keep up for next week. Although I am off skiing on Friday for the week so may be a little late posting. But I will make sure the image is taken next week while I'm away.

I like your processing on your fear image Dan, it conveys a real sense of speed and movement as you head towards that gap in the trees. I think seeing your hands on the bars would have really made the image for me. Good work though (y) Iain

It was shot like that in camera which makes putting my hands on the bar very difficult so I tried to crop it so that you cant quite see if my hands are there or not without taking too much of the image away.

It's a small world! Where abouts in Chesterfield did you live? I'm in Clowne.

I was from Grassmoor, the other side of town, I get up there to see my folks every so often. Used to work in Staveley before I joined the RAF.

Woah, spot on for fear! Perfect use of an effect I've tried and failed with several times!

The first time I got this effect it was completely by accident while I taking a picture of a train, I was caught on the hop and tried to recompose the shot whilst shooting on a far too low shutter speed. The good thing that came out of it was that I could recreate the settings to get the effect again.

As others have said excellent shot I think you got the shutter speed spot on, Just need my eyes to get back to normal now :LOL:

Direction : A very personal direction, but it fits the theme, although I feel it needs the explanation.. Probably better without the crop

Fear : That's not fear, that's just being plain sensible... why would you want to ride a perfectly good bike off the edge of a vertical drop :D:D... I like it, it fits the theme... a shame that with the zoom blur, you can't make out the drop... but...

Hello, sorry about last weeks sigh no show as I said I have been away skiing for the week and really struggled to et a shot for sigh. I will try my best to do a double post this week to cover both subjects.

I have not given up just delayed.

Thanks

Right folks, I am back, and continuing on with y theme of Mountain Biking, I seem to have set myself a new rule, here are weeks three and four.

Week three is a little bit weak in my opinion but does convey a sigh for me, everybody hates diversions especially over a good bit of trail. The shot didn't really convey the diversion enough for me but it was difficult to frame it any better and still see the blocked trail.

Week 3 - Sigh by danhardwick, on Flickr

Onto week 4 and a bit of food photography, one of my weaknesses after a nice ride is to have a slice of cake and a coffee, the only I time take sugar in my coffee too. Very sweet.

Week 4 - Sweet by danhardwick, on Flickr

I am hoping to keep the mountain biking theme throughout the year now, just to make it that bit harder on myself. Hope you like the images and look forward to next weeks subject.

Thanks for looking.

That is certainly a tough challenge you have set yourself Dan - I'm liking your shots so far, and your sweet shot with my Fav cake... Coffee and Walnut is very good, nice DOF used and nice composition :)

Look forward to your takes on all the themes !!!!

What he said ...plus can i have a bite i'm starving....

Steve

Great start would be amazing if could keep it all to do with your mountain bike. Love the fear shot

Back