Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2021

WOW! Way behind...well here goes:

Looking at the depth of field it does look small, what was the colour of the stone?

good detail in there for something so small
Thanks Allan, the stone was kind of a pale blue.

great macro lots of detail in that little rock
Thanks minx, my trusty Olympus 60mm macro!

Looks like a brain. Nice shot, well captured.
Thanks David, not Pinky but definitely could be the Brain. 1611974459255.png

Dirty: I think you peaked too soon and this should have been for this week's theme :D I have found a few painted stones with things like 'dream' written on them and they always cheer me up. Well spotted.

Stone: I agree it looks like a little brain :) Black and White works well. Lots of detail.

Fruit: really like this shot - so different! The depth of field works really well.
LOL Bebop, that's what I was saying rocks in my comments for the last post!

Yes! I was thinking some animal offal but couldn't think what.

Bill, it's a fascinating wee thing, nicely captured.
Thanks David.

Definitely seeing a brain in the stone image, lots of detail, is the DoF just a bit too tight for the right?
Thanks Stuart, it's actually an 8 image focus stack. The right side is angled away from the plane of focus. I'm okay with it being a little soft.

That's a really interesting subject - and the macro work is very nicely done.
Thanks Shug.

Rock
It's a little brain, or a crumb of blue vein cheese. I've no idea what this looks like in colour, but the black and white seems to be the right choice.
Thanks Dominic. I couldn't quite get the colour right in my post processing so I decided on B&W. I took a shot with my iPhone and the colour looks better. I'll post it at the end of this string.

Yes it looks a bit brainy - I like it :)
Thanks Dave.

Nice detailed close-up. Looks good in mono.
Thank you Pete.

Plenty of detail. Nice macro shot. Works well in B&W.
Thanks Tim.

IMG_0869.jpg

The Vancouver Gastown steam clock. It looks old but was actually built in 1977. It's only the whistles that are steam powered, venting out steam from a series of pipes that run under the city. The actual clockworks are powered by weights.

Jan 30 clock (1 of 1).jpg

Steam whistle, now that's an odd thing.
It certainly does look older than it is though.
Interesting piece Bill

Tall - interesting subject, have you waited for the steam or is it always present?
I would be interested in a view that shows the entire clock "face on" just to see how intricate it is

Interesting subject.. thought there was something wrong with my eyes until I saw in the description that it was steam :)

I remember seeing the pavement steaming in Vancouver, so presumably utilising what’s already there? It does look to be older - I’d like to see this. I do love how the 52 broadens our knowledge!

The angle works well. I agree with @LC2 about the sign - most inconsiderate of someone to leave it there! I don’t suppose there’s much you could do.

Tall
Not something you see everyday, a steam clock (well the whistles anyway). Nice reflections in the glass and an interesting pov.

As said above, that's not something you see everyday. I like the pov you've taken this from, some great architecture in there too.
Small point but clipping the top part of the building is a little distracting but doesn't detract from the main subject.

Steam whistle, now that's an odd thing.
It certainly does look older than it is though.
Interesting piece Bill
Thanks Phissy, I always thought that it was older myself. It wasn't until I looked it up on the Google that I found out it was build in the 70's.

Loving this: fantastic composition. Creative indeed.
Thank you David!

Odd/cool to see the steam exhausting from the clock, that really is a strange idea.
Re the composition. Was there an opportunity to hide the "For Lease" sign? Or were the other angles worse still?
Thanks Tim, you know I didn't even see the For Lease sign until you pointed it out :)...
But now that I see it, to be honest I kind of the like the symmetry of the square sign right beside the square clock face. Like two sides of a box...

Tall - interesting subject, have you waited for the steam or is it always present?
I would be interested in a view that shows the entire clock "face on" just to see how intricate it is
Thanks Stuart, yes, there is always steam leaking out of the clock. The discharge when the whistles go off is much greater.

Interesting subject.. thought there was something wrong with my eyes until I saw in the description that it was steam :)
LOL, thanks Helen.

I remember seeing the pavement steaming in Vancouver, so presumably utilising what’s already there? It does look to be older - I’d like to see this. I do love how the 52 broadens our knowledge!

The angle works well. I agree with @LC2 about the sign - most inconsiderate of someone to leave it there! I don’t suppose there’s much you could do.
Thanks Bebop, I suppose that I could have found a better composition, but it was a quick shot as I was going by and the sign didn't even register with me.

Tall
Not something you see everyday, a steam clock (well the whistles anyway). Nice reflections in the glass and an interesting pov.
Thanks Dominic.

Nice interesting subject with an interesting point of view and resultant perspective.
Thanks Shug!

As said above, that's not something you see everyday. I like the pov you've taken this from, some great architecture in there too.
Small point but clipping the top part of the building is a little distracting but doesn't detract from the main subject.
Thanks Iain, yes you are right. I had to crop the image to allow me to upload it to this forum. I chose to keep more at the bottom as I thought that that would emphasize the height more.

I was going to go out and shoot some long exposure and while I was waiting I thought that I'd play with some fading flowers that were on our dining room table.
I liked this image better than the ones I took at the park that day (I've included a couple or three...)

Feb 06 (4 of 5).jpgFeb 06 (1 of 2)-2.jpgFeb 06 (2 of 2).jpgFeb 06 (3 of 4).jpg

The black and white works beautifully on your blooms - It really brings out the detail nicely.

Looking at your images, I could believe you were on the Isle of Wight!

Thanks Bebop. Not sure what the Isle of Wight looks like but this is a typical day for beautiful British Columbia (when it's not raining :D)...

I love black & white flower shots. So easy to get distracted with their colour and forget the tones and patterns in their structure. Really nice choice for the week, and the best of the bunch [pun not intended]

The Dahlia (?) is the best of the bunch IMO.

I love black & white flower shots. So easy to get distracted with their colour and forget the tones and patterns in their structure. Really nice choice for the week, and the best of the bunch [pun not intended]
Thanks Ian, I agree, I like seeing flower shots in b&w. The actual blossom is yellow and when I looked at the colour image I had lost all the detail.

Fabulous detail in those flower, they definitely suit the b&w, but favourite for me is that tree agains that fabulous sky, I love that one.
Thanks Susie, I've shot this tree and some other ones in the park a number of times and this is the first time that I was really happy with the result. I thought hard about submitting it as my choice.

The Dahlia (?) is the best of the bunch IMO.
Thanks Phissy, I think that it's a large Chrysanthemum (but I could be wrong).

Some nice images there, I like the tree the best, the detail and PP in that is very nice indeed.

I love those trees, branches against that sky. There's interest at ground level too.

The Flowers and the Tree are really nice shots Bill, the B&W works wonders on the tree. The flower has plenty of detail and the tones work well.

Pete

All your options look good in their own way, my personal favourite is the trees, the processing is great and it literally stands out head and shoulders above the others

Some nice images there, I like the tree the best, the detail and PP in that is very nice indeed.
Thanks Jim.

I love those trees, branches against that sky. There's interest at ground level too.
Thank you David.

The Flowers and the Tree are really nice shots Bill, the B&W works wonders on the tree. The flower has plenty of detail and the tones work well.

Pete
Thanks Pete, I appreciate your comments.

Choice
All of those are good photos, you've probably picked the best for your main thread.
Thank you Dominic.

The long exposure water shots are great - just enough detail so have not lost it to milk, and a nice set of subjects and compositions.
Thanks Shug.

All your options look good in their own way, my personal favourite is the trees, the processing is great and it literally stands out head and shoulders above the others
Thanks Stuart.

I really like how that feels... the light, the tones, the reflections and the way it leads your eyes down river. The perfectly placed/timed bird gives it life.

If I was being picky I might have binned the post sticking out of the water though, as my eye gets stuck on it a little, but it's a tiny thing.

Nice, I like it. Perhaps a little strong on the processing (sharpening?) with some halos starting to creep in, but overall I like the treatment.

A really good sky makes for a great image. Perhaps I find it a tad dark in the bottom right but otherwise looks very mean and moody.

Nice, like the interest in the sky and the way most of the buildings are framed between the river and the bridge. I do find the post sticking out of the water a little distracting but overall a strong image,

Yep - a nice moody mono.

I really like the “robust” processing on this, it really suits the shot. I agree about possibly losing the post and I’m in two minds whether or not I’d clone out the bird as well (really can’t make my mind up one way or the other on that). Really nice image. Well done :)

Pair
It's a great dark, moody shot. Good composition and you've even managed to get a bird in there.

Back