weekly DK's 52 of 2015 - wk 52 'Christmas' added - FINISHED

As Andy say's a little detail lost in the petals, a shallow DoF perhaps?
The centre is sharp enough though (y)

Agree with the earlier posts, very sharp in the centre. Assuming that you intended the petals to be slightly OOF due to you comments on DoF.
Like the use of the rule of thirds for composition too.
I'll let Andy ( @posiview ) point out your title is a few weeks behind ;)

Hi DK, thats so like those posters that were around in the 70's there was one with a naked girl smoking a joint (whatever that is :D) and one of Jimi Hendrix (I have no idea who he is either:thinking: :whistle:)
It's very psychedelic, there is some detail missing in the petals but :clap:

I'm off to drop some acid :love:

CLOSE UP....Now that's a theme fitter.
That's not just pink, it's PPPIIINNKKK!!!!
:)

Hi Dean

close up - well, you couldn't get much closer than that, and that pink....... Lovely shot though, and I like your choice of composition :clap: I can't comment on lighting etc as I haven't even ventured down that road yet

Cheers Buddy :)

Close up, lovely flower, nice and bright with good detail in the centre (what ever its called).
Noooo idea mate, a straggling flower left from Mothers Day :D

Not sure if it's the lighting but some of the detail seems to be lost in the petals :thinking:
I think it has lost a tiny bit via Flickr... there was some left in LR... I'll have a play when I get home to bring some back out - THANKS :)

Have a relaxed week BTW :exit:
I WISH :D

Tell you what, I'm up at 4:15 tomorrow, should be flying above your gaf around 7:30... then driving back past you some time after lunch.... I'll swing across to yours for a rest/kip/cuppa/snack :whistle:

As Andy say's a little detail lost in the petals, a shallow DoF perhaps?
It was as deep as I could get it that close up... but feel I may have overdone the colour punching... punched it out of existence :D
The centre is sharp enough though (y)
Thanks Mate :)

Agree with the earlier posts, very sharp in the centre. Assuming that you intended the petals to be slightly OOF due to you comments on DoF.
Like the use of the rule of thirds for composition too.
Thank you Tim :)
I'll let Andy ( @posiview ) point out your title is a few weeks behind ;)
Cheers Tim :LOL:

and even that's misspelt ;)
Alright ALRIGHT lol

DK's a busy man, and I'm not going to upset the keeper of the spreadsheet (watches Andy get added to the wall of shame for not posting within 35 seconds of the subject being announced next week ;) )
Ahhhh now there is an idea :thinking:

Hi DK, thats so like those posters that were around in the 70's there was one with a naked girl smoking a joint (whatever that is :D)
Yeah Right :LOL:

and one of Jimi Hendrix (I have no idea who he is either:thinking: :whistle:)
It's very psychedelic, there is some detail missing in the petals but :clap:
Thanks a lot Alan - the idea was to make it POP with a capital P :)

I'm off to drop some acid :love:
:ROFLMAO:

CLOSE UP....Now that's a theme fitter.
That's not just pink, it's PPPIIINNKKK!!!!
Thanks Ruth... one for the ladies in the house :D

Very nice Dean, love the vibrancyof the pink. Very nice composition too.
Cheers Michael :)

Hi Dean

close up - well, you couldn't get much closer than that, and that pink....... Lovely shot though, and I like your choice of composition :clap: I can't comment on lighting etc as I haven't even ventured down that road yet
Thank You Lorraine - You will love having a play with lights, make sure you get the chance, even with off camera speedlights.... makes Sooooooooooooo much difference :)

Close Up flower shot is striking ... what I like most is the tips of the petals against the white BG on the LHS.

Thank You Lorraine - You will love having a play with lights, make sure you get the chance, even with off camera speedlights.... makes Sooooooooooooo much difference :)

Thanks Dean - I've been reading up about flash and it seems very complicated - it'll probably take me ages to understand how to set it, but some kind of speedlight would be the next thing on my shopping list :)

Close Up flower shot is striking ... what I like most is the tips of the petals against the white BG on the LHS.
Thanks David :)

Wow, that's done in my retinas, it's certainly a colour punch and I love the detail you've captured in the centre. Composition is spot on too (y)
Thanks Jill :cool:

Hi DK ...I don't know if it's my screen but I need sunglasses for that one :wideyed: Super focus on the centre but just a tad unnatural colour for me ...sorry :(
No worries Susie, I knew not all would like the strong colour PP I did on this :)

A bit of a catch up for you Dean

Watery - #2 for me. The angle of the boat gives a sense of movement. I’d have been tempted to crop out a portion of the left hand side to emphasise the space the dinghy is moving into

Bold - An exercise in depth of field although as an image I’m afraid it’s not doing much for me - sorry

Relax - This one however I really do like. It’s got a lot of elements and yet is so simple. Three horizontal bands plus the people and dog close to the third. The lighting is nice as well. The question that has to be asked is who is walking who?

Vertical - #3 has a much more striking look to it than the others. A super fluffy clouds sky and a bold use of converging verticals helps this image. I am getting a bit of haloing though around the column

Mouth - I’m a dog rather than a cat person so I have to comment on the first image. Super timing for this one with the dog in just the right place. Depth of field is just right here in my view

Close Up - You should have used this for the bold theme week as that colour is extremely bold. Maybe too saturated for my eyes though. As for the composition - well that’s spot on. Just using part of the flower is the right move

A bit of a catch up for you Dean

Watery - #2 for me. The angle of the boat gives a sense of movement. I’d have been tempted to crop out a portion of the left hand side to emphasise the space the dinghy is moving into
Thanks Peter, I agree with your idea :)

Bold - An exercise in depth of field although as an image I’m afraid it’s not doing much for me - sorry
No worries mate :)

Relax - This one however I really do like. It’s got a lot of elements and yet is so simple. Three horizontal bands plus the people and dog close to the third. The lighting is nice as well. The question that has to be asked is who is walking who?
Haaa exactly Peter, I think the dog was certainly walking them :D

Vertical - #3 has a much more striking look to it than the others. A super fluffy clouds sky and a bold use of converging verticals helps this image. I am getting a bit of haloing though around the column
Ahhhh well spotted :)

Mouth - I’m a dog rather than a cat person so I have to comment on the first image. Super timing for this one with the dog in just the right place. Depth of field is just right here in my view
Thanks again Peter, was a lovely dog to say the least :)

Close Up - You should have used this for the bold theme week as that colour is extremely bold. Maybe too saturated for my eyes though. As for the composition - well that’s spot on. Just using part of the flower is the right move
Cheers Peter - maybe I should pull it back a tad :)

And on to this week...

RAIN... WIND... My god the afternoon I put aside again to shoot out to take pics and the weather is appalling :(

Never mind... indoor shots it is - this week trying more off camera flash

This first shot is taken with the camera on a tripod, utilising mostly daylight and LED lighting in the room, but holding a flash set to 1/4 power just above the lens for fill in of the cup internal. I tried several angles but settled for this one :)

Week 13 - Coffee 'Machine'

Wk 13 - Machine by TP DK, on Flickr

And onto the next image...

I wanted to do several as re-shoots, but due to the weather again and having the tripod out etc I sadly resorted to another Close-Up shot... although not one of the themes I wanted to re-shoot specifically I enjoyed playing with natural light, LED torch and bounced flash again, so all good :)

Again I tried lots of angles and lighting techniques, in the end to get the DoF as even as possible I had to put the camera directly above the beans (It's still not perfect but not too bad), the shot here that I have chosen is camera mounted on tripod, and flash stood on worktop and bounced off the ceiling...

Week 13 - Re-Shoot 'Close-Up' of Coffee Beans

Week 13 - Re-Shoot - Close Up by TP DK, on Flickr

Nice "machine" Dean (ooo that rhymes :D )
I like the way you caught the coffee drips too (y)

Close up, yep, that's close plenty of detail, nice and bright, well captured (y)

Hi Dean,

It's been a rubbish weekend weather wise hasn't it?

I like your coffee machine shot, and it looks very well lit.

close up - very close indeed - nice :)

Machine - Now that is my kind of (indoor) machine.
I really like how the drops / splashes of coffee are in sharp focus with a slight OOF for the rest, works really well.

Re shoot: Close Up - Whilst sharp, well lit, etc. I'm afraid it doesn't do anything for me (personal taste 'n' all that). I did have a chuckle at the bean 2 up from the bottom on the right, looking like a face, possibly trying to escape it's fate.

Machine - Nice idea to shoot as the coffee drops were coming out. The use of a shallow DoF is right but I’m afraid I feel the point of focus needed to be the the writing on the cup. Posh machine for the house Dean ;)

Reshoot - You wouldn’t think coffee beans could be so shiny. That said you’ve done well to control the highlights. Are you thinking of selling these shots to Starbucks?

The mean machine is very nice indeed.
Can I have it? :)

Love the bean shot too.

Nice "machine" Dean (ooo that rhymes :D )
:LOL:
I like the way you caught the coffee drips too (y)

Close up, yep, that's close plenty of detail, nice and bright, well captured (y)
Thanks Chris :)

Hi Dean,

It's been a rubbish weekend weather wise hasn't it?
Rubish is one word for it... Sh1te is another :(

There again, got a room of wallpaper stripped, walls sugar soaped and filled and caulked all the woodwork.... but that's another story :D

I like your coffee machine shot, and it looks very well lit.
Thanks Lorraine :)

close up - very close indeed - nice :)
Thanks again :)

Machine - Now that is my kind of (indoor) machine.
You and me both :D
I really like how the drops / splashes of coffee are in sharp focus with a slight OOF for the rest, works really well.
Thanks Tim :)

Re shoot: Close Up - Whilst sharp, well lit, etc. I'm afraid it doesn't do anything for me (personal taste 'n' all that). I did have a chuckle at the bean 2 up from the bottom on the right, looking like a face, possibly trying to escape it's fate.
Haaaa no worries... I spotted that beanface too :LOL:

Machine - really like this one especially catching the coffee drops :)
Thank You Tracy :)

New close up - great idea with loads of detail!
Thanks again... I know it lacks interest but for close up I was struggling so was going for pure detail :)

Machine - Nice idea to shoot as the coffee drops were coming out. The use of a shallow DoF is right but I’m afraid I feel the point of focus needed to be the the writing on the cup.
Thanks Peter :)

I hummed and harred on the focus point, I thought I was pushing it a bit with the coffee being the focus point when to get it theme on it should have been the actual machine :D

Posh machine for the house Dean ;)
Oi... keep your eyes off it, it's mine, mine MINE :bat:

Reshoot - You wouldn't think coffee beans could be so shiny. That said you've done well to control the highlights.
Ahhh well you see the beans are really fresh, it's the oils in the beans that give them the shine, as the beans age or get exposed to air the beans begin to dry out... and thus follows a coffee with a lesser crema, and a more bitter taste :geek:

Are you thinking of selling these shots to Starbucks?
I only wish I could :D

Machine - really nice - my favourite machine by the way!
reshoot - the coffee beans look amazing! :)
Thanks a lot Mich :)

The mean machine is very nice indeed.
Can I have it? :)

Love the bean shot too.

Now then matey...made it here finally :)

Close-up....love the color -vibrant or what ! Strangely enough there seems to be more detail & little less brightness viewing on flickr(poss due to the black bg ?) Zoomed in there's an amazing amount of detail , right down to little flecks of pollen on the petals :clap: The only thing I'm not taken with is the crop...I'm getting as bad as Andy on crops - purely a personal thing but I'd like to see the centre nearer to the rhs , losing the bit of petals on that side , if that makes sense ?

Reshoot.....super detail but too harsh on the lighting for me , kinda overpowers the lovely chocolatey tones of the beans....sorry :( I can't offer any advice on lighting either...so double sorry :arghh:

Machine....love that you caught the coffee dripping in to the cup ,sharp & focused ....but for me the emphasis on machine is a bit lost , there again, you wouldn't have got the drips without the machine so bit of a conundrum :thinking:

Hi Dean, apologies.. I have some catching up to do.

Relax - Great shot and works well.
Vertical - First picture for me, theres even a few rays of sunshine for added verticalness lol.
Mouth - Two nice shots but the dog is excellent.
Close Up - Nice colours and well composed.
Machine - Like this alot, shutter speed just right to catch a few drops of coffee.
Re-Shoot - Prefer this to the original, although the bottom right bean resembles an alien head :p

Like the machine shot...and if there is a 'coffee' theme later you can use it again.

When I first saw the coffee beans I thought they were some sort of slimy creatures, I'll never look at coffee beans the same again. They do look very fresh...hmmm, I fancy a cup of coffee all of a sudden; sod that, more wine!

Quick catch up form me close up great framing nice focus on the center but a touch to bright on the petals for me.
Coffee machine I was going to do. Glad i didn't thats a really good capture and adding the coffee beans as a close up re shoot is nice the focus is spot on

Starbucks :mooning:

:D

Wonderful machine, nice motion in the coffee. Not an easy one to compose with all the interesting detail.

Close up. Good overall detail and nice rich colours, just the specular highlights by way of minor crit.

Cheers.

Love the coffee machine dean.

Kept all of both handles in.. Nice and white on the cup and beautifully shiny on the metal.

Perfect catch on the drips, lovely use of shallow dof. Perfect. (y)

Hi there,

A mega catch up from me - I am disappointed to say I have missed this thread so far - sorry about that :(

Patterns: Both in the pebbles and in the sand. Nice light too. The shallow DoF in the second one works for me :)
Bliss: Good idea and my kind of bliss too. I understand what you mean about the low light that are associated with movies but I have to say the FG is a bit too dark for me.
Fragile: Nice idea and that soft box works well. I have to agree it does look a tad staged.
Scenic: I prefer the windmill one too. I think there is potential there but the lines between the reeds and water and the reeds and windmill are a bit distracting if that makes sense. It's as if I would want the camera to be placed higher.
Companions: I like the reshoot/edit of this one. The slightly blurred scenery really helps the pin sharp geese to pop out (y)
Elegant: I have no idea about Canon lenses but it certainly has an elegant feel to it. A good take on the theme.
Watery: The one with the OOF gulls for me. It's just a bit different and the gap in the flock draws the eye in nicely.
Bold: The colour version for me. Nice diagonal that leads me nicely into the shot.
Relax: A really relaxing shot. Good light too. I wonder if it would help to have a bit more space for the dog to walk into?
Vertical: No. 1 for me - the sky and crepuscular rays really adds to it.
Mouth: The dog shot for me. Looks like a nice place although it would take me all day just to get to the top!
Close up: I like the composition and the detail in the centre of the flower but appears too saturated and blown in places on the petals.
Machine: Great shot. The flash has 'frozen' the droplets of coffee in the cup. Nicely free of reflections too.
Re-shoot of Close up: Lots of detail in the beans Good lighting too.

Phew! Time for a cuppa now :)

ah, now then, I love the machine shot, and you got drips so lots of movement there. You've done a good job with the lighting. I'm afraid I can't comment on your closeup cos it looks like dog droppings lol (sorry :p)

Machine - great action shot and I think you've chosen the right angle with the nice diagonal of the lever. :clap:

Close Up reshoot - not too sure about this. If you hadn't said it was coffee beans I would have been imagining something a bit less savoury. :eek:

That is my favouriest machine in the whole wide world :D. Can't beat un cafe solo doble to wake me up in the morning :sleep:. (That's a double espresso over here :LOL:)

Closeup reshoot definitely looks unsavoury :ROFLMAO:

Machine ... nice action. :clap:
Thanks David :)

Re-Shoot 'Close-Up' ... interesting.
Thanks again... I think :D

Now then matey...made it here finally :)
Bout bl00dy time woman :D

Close-up....love the color -vibrant or what ! Strangely enough there seems to be more detail & little less brightness viewing on flickr(poss due to the black bg ?) Zoomed in there's an amazing amount of detail , right down to little flecks of pollen on the petals :clap: The only thing I'm not taken with is the crop...I'm getting as bad as Andy on crops - purely a personal thing but I'd like to see the centre nearer to the rhs , losing the bit of petals on that side , if that makes sense ?
That certainly does make sense - Thanks Lynne :)

Reshoot.....super detail but too harsh on the lighting for me , kinda overpowers the lovely chocolatey tones of the beans....sorry :( I can't offer any advice on lighting either...so double sorry :arghh:
No worries... and thanks again :)

Machine....love that you caught the coffee dripping in to the cup ,sharp & focused ....but for me the emphasis on machine is a bit lost , there again, you wouldn't have got the drips without the machine so bit of a conundrum :thinking:
Exactly Lynne, my thoughts too, but the macjine was boring on it's own :)

Hi Dean, apologies.. I have some catching up to do.
No worries :)

Relax - Great shot and works well.
Thanks Paul :)
Vertical - First picture for me, theres even a few rays of sunshine for added verticalness lol.
Haaaa verticalnees :D
Mouth - Two nice shots but the dog is excellent.
Thanks again :)
Close Up - Nice colours and well composed.
Ta :)
Machine - Like this alot, shutter speed just right to catch a few drops of coffee.
Cheers... there were only a couple of the shots I did that the drops were good enough, most of the time there was a flow, and the coffee not visible in the cup, so caught just at the end :)
Re-Shoot - Prefer this to the original, although the bottom right bean resembles an alien head :p

That it does Ha Haaaa - Thanks Paul :)

Back