weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

Good shot there Dean. Skies are really nice. As you say, the 'window' is a little blown (could you have recovered it in PP?) but doesn't really detract.
I didn't realise it was a church until I read your commentary, it looks more like an undermined castle from the Civil War.

I agree with Carl @greenoak about t looking like a portal. Perfect location and imagery for Abandoned. I quite like the cloud movement ... adds something to the slightly quirky architecture.

Ooh... how did I miss your Abandoned shot?!?!

I really like that - it's nice to see something that's a bit different and although it's on theme, it actually works really well outside the context of just the 52 (which is a compliment btw!)

Love the light pouring through the window... for me that makes the shot. May have been unintentional but if you don't tell anyone I won't ;)

Wonderful cloud movement in abandoned. I don't think the leaf movement detracts at all in this shot, but I agree with you that the blown light through the window is a bit distracting. I love the way the light has caught the top of the walls, though! Great subject.

Abandoned...great shot lovely sky nice brickwork in the building I like it alot.(y)
Thank you Michael :)

Abandoned is a good image, liking the light you have captured.
Thanks Lee :)

Nice find on "Abandoned" Dean, lovely colours too (y)
Thanks Chris, I certainly prefered the colour :)

Good shot there Dean. Skies are really nice. As you say, the 'window' is a little blown (could you have recovered it in PP?)
Believe me.. that opening has had Soooooooo much PP already you would not believe :D

but doesn't really detract.[/quote]Phew... and thanks Tim :)
I didn't realise it was a church until I read your commentary, it looks more like an undermined castle from the Civil War.
Ooooo Well, I presume it is a church/chapel :thinking:

I agree with Carl @greenoak about t looking like a portal. Perfect location and imagery for Abandoned. I quite like the cloud movement ... adds something to the slightly quirky architecture.
Cool... thanks as always Carl :)

Ooh... how did I miss your Abandoned shot?!?!
Wood and trees mate, wood and trees :D

I really like that - it's nice to see something that's a bit different and although it's on theme, it actually works really well outside the context of just the 52 (which is a compliment btw!)
Cool - I like compliments :cool:

Love the light pouring through the window... for me that makes the shot. May have been unintentional but if you don't tell anyone I won't ;)
Shhhhhhhh it's between us them mate :D (y)
Great find for abandoned DK. The cloud in the sky works really well too
Thank you Rob, I was very lucky with the wind direction, although I really must return again when the wind suits and there are more clouds :)

Wonderful cloud movement in abandoned. I don't think the leaf movement detracts at all in this shot, but I agree with you that the blown light through the window is a bit distracting. I love the way the light has caught the top of the walls, though! Great subject.
Thank you Emma :)

I wish there was a way to do the opening other than two shots and cloning in PS :)

That really does look precarious and the movement of the clouds adds to the feeling that it might be blown over at any moment. Very abandoned! :clap:

Your Abandoned looks seriously unsafe, don't get too close. Love the way you've caught the light silhouetting naked branches on the other side. (y)

Er, what's all the whinging about my blue skies out here.........

Nice spot for Abandoned and it does look like it may come tumbling down at any minute.

I really like the yellowy/green door/window on the bottom RHS (y)

I like abandoned. One approach might have been to take three shots - one exposed for the window, one shot of the trees on a fast shutter speed and then a third on clouds for the blur.

That really does look precarious and the movement of the clouds adds to the feeling that it might be blown over at any moment. Very abandoned! :clap:
Thank you Elaine :)

Your Abandoned looks seriously unsafe, don't get too close. Love the way you've caught the light silhouetting naked branches on the other side. (y)
Cheers David :)

Er, what's all the whinging about my blue skies out here.........
Well you know... the brits have got to whine about something :D

Nice spot for Abandoned and it does look like it may come tumbling down at any minute.
Thanks Jill :)

I really like the yellowy/green door/window on the bottom RHS (y)
:thinking:

I like abandoned. One approach might have been to take three shots - one exposed for the window, one shot of the trees on a fast shutter speed and then a third on clouds for the blur.
Thanks Phil :)

I have not done stuff like that before, but wish to try one day :)

Happy - your Mrs does indeed look happy mate - outdoors with the camera - whats not to like !
Exactly can't ask for more - thanks :)

[qoute]Abandoned - love these old ruins shots and with the foliage and the light through the central window it makes this one a good one ! like it a lot :)[/QUOTE]Cheers Jon :)

Right... busy weekend not been able to go out due to house viewing today, spent all yesterday getting it back to something worth looking around...

Thought of a quicky last night - a 10p hidden amongst a load of 20p's (that I have already)... updating the spreadsheet and see that Liz beat me too it :banghead: :D

Plan B - shoot to the shop and pick up some sweets, take my shot, have a late lunch, edit it and then see Lee has posted similar on flickr :banghead: :D - that will teach me to edit it 2 hours later than I took it ...

As if it wasn't a post and be damned shot anyway, even more so now :LOL:

Wk 6 - Camouflaged

Simple image, trying to make it as vivid as possible... and looking on to next week :)

Wk 6 - Camouflage by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's a good one Dean....ANother I didn't spot right off the bat, so definitely job done :)
Bright colours, but spot on....sharp....And tasty!

This is vivid and fun. I'm loving the 'sweet' shots this week. I saw the interloper straight away, but my eyes are highly trained when it comes to confectionery so it never stood a chance.

Lovely and bright Dean - very therapeutic too I should imagine and I bet the props disappeared rapidly after the shot ! Tot nicely tucked away so not immediately noticeable. Nice job. :clap:

Hi. DK not your best but certainly fits the theme, a square crop might have been slightly better

Nice one Dean, nice and bright and the greens are a good matcch
Cheers Chris, I did boost the saturation on the tot to try and blend it in a tad more :)

It's a good one Dean....ANother I didn't spot right off the bat, so definitely job done :)
Bright colours, but spot on....sharp....And tasty!
Thanks Ruth :) - and yes they were very tasty :D

Super bright colour DK and props you can eat .... definitely an added bonus :)
Thanks Suz - sure was a bonus for a quicky at that :D

Really like this Dean love the colours and it took me a while to find it too
Cheers Mark (y)

This is vivid and fun. I'm loving the 'sweet' shots this week. I saw the interloper straight away, but my eyes are highly trained when it comes to confectionery so it never stood a chance.
Ha Haaaaa thanks for being soft on me Nick :LOL:

Lovely and bright Dean - very therapeutic too I should imagine and I bet the props disappeared rapidly after the shot ! Tot nicely tucked away so not immediately noticeable. Nice job. :clap:
Thanks Carl - and I do admit the shutter had not long finished closing before that green tot got chewed :D

Hi. DK not your best but certainly fits the theme, a square crop might have been slightly better
How DARE YOU @alsjazzera :sulk:

Okay you have me, I admit not the greatest of effort this week, but hey needs must :D

Abandoned - Beautiful. I love what you've done with the clouds! Really makes the picture.

Camouflage - Sweet and tasty! Loving the bright colours. :)

Abandoned - Beautiful. I love what you've done with the clouds! Really makes the picture.
Thanks Sheylara :)

Camouflage - Sweet and tasty! Loving the bright colours. :)
Thanks again :)

Thats the way to do it Dean :D

Love the Pastille colours (y)
( sorry :coat: )
:LOL:

Nice and bright, nice symmetry and colours.

For once...I got nowt so far :(

Cheers.
Damn... you feeling okay :D

Abandoned - I like it, plenty of detail and a lovely sky (y).
Thank you Mandy :)

Camouflage - a lovely colourful image, simple but very effective.
Cool - just what I hoped :)

You can't beat props you can eat :)
Hell yes :D
Vibrant colours and good use of a small aperture to avoid shallow DoF.
Cheers Tim - glad you spotted that :)

awe what a sweet image :D
:D

Camouflaged is excellent, vibrant and plenty of pop
Thanks Lee (y)

Right and onto to this week...

Today I decided to take a trip to a harbour just a few miles away, the wind was strong and I was hoping to catch some crashing waves...

The shots I got were just about what I was after, although some of the nicer shots did not look as dangerous as I hoped, I have included a couple that fit the theme best because of the inclusive 'Danger Signs' but also another couple just because I want too :D

** No need to comment on all, just pick the ONE you prefer - Thanks **

As always - best viewed LARGE on flickr with a black background :)

First... I like this one due to the inclusion of the sign, horizon, ship and the crashing sea

Wk 7 - Danger

Wk 7 - Danger by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 7 - Danger 2 - This second shot, is just from a different angle, I prefer the colours of this one and the angles, I just wish I could get the boat in too... hey ho :)

Wk 7 - Danger 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

This one doesn't show danger as much as I liked, but I liked the angles and the water spray, believe me these waves were pounding and VERY big, again not so clear without scale :(

Crashing Waves by TP DK, on Flickr

Now this last one, for me is the most photogenic and the one I like the best, but does NOT say 'Danger' - BUT this spot was VERY dangerous but I was unable tot portray that at all sadly :(

2 minutes after this was taken I was stood in the exact same spot as the fishing lady, facing inshore when a wave came in from behind me and literally took my feet from under me, I laded with a crash on my ass and waste deep in water was dragged down the pier on my butt :sulk: - but Hey with a grazed ass my Camera and Phone survived which was the main thing, thank god for Canon weather sealing :D

Wk 7 - Dangerous Spot

Casting by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Happy - 2 lovely picks of Mrs DK I can't decide which is best
Abandoned - the colours are good and it is very abandoned
Camouflage - fun idea and edible props always a plus
Dangerous - I wouldn't want to get any closer to that fishing line but I think 2 is best for the theme and 3 is my favorite of the group

#3 for me, great timing and looks dangerous. #4 is a lovely shot sorry to hear you took a battering to get it.

Your Windows phone survived :p
Ha HAaaaa yes, but to get the correct terminology, my Windows 10 Mobile survived (Windows Phone no longer exists) :D

I'll comment tomorrow.... Glad no serious harm occurred (y)

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, ass is still sore, came down with one hell of a bump as I had by camera bag on too, that got drenched too :D

Fishermen (& photographers) are more crazy than archers! I like all the shots but I think your right number 1 fits the theme best :)
Cheers Ruth :)

Happy - 2 lovely picks of Mrs DK I can't decide which is best
Thanks minx :)
Abandoned - the colours are good and it is very abandoned
Thank you again :)
Camouflage - fun idea and edible props always a plus
Exactly :)
Dangerous - I wouldn't want to get any closer to that fishing line but I think 2 is best for the theme and 3 is my favorite of the group
Good choices... thank you :)

Hi DK. My gosh you did have an adventure eh! Each has something; I couldn't decide captured my interest most because of the battered sign and the wave so nicely contrasted against that lovely blue sky. #4 for perfect timing.

Hi DK number 3 for me I agree with you about the angles it just works better, I love going to the seaside on a bleak stormy day its exhilarating

Again not as dangerous as the ellesmere bears :mooning:

Hi Dean, some great images there. Camouflage is nicely on theme but the image itself feels a bit flat to me - perhaps because it's shot straight on with little opportunity to use DOF to add a sense of distance? Lighting works, but is quite hard. However, I reckon that hard light and flat POV could work really well with fewer sweets - perhaps a 3x3 or 5x5 arrangement with space between them? Seeing the hard shadow would then add to the picture for me.

Danger has some great captures - I like the moment-in-time nature of the last one and the blown highlights don't detract for me. I agree with you that the one before of the wave crashing over the wall is visually the most appealing, but for the theme probably the one before from the low POV. Really good series though - and perhaps a candidate or two for B&W conversion?

Back