weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

curve of the bath sweeping across the frame ... nice. :D

I would have attempted to bring the Simple word out in PP ... a mistake, no doubt.

Last edited:
Hi Dean. I like the alignment of the soap with the sweeping curves of the bath(?). Excellently taken to give such subtle shading, especially to pick out the lettering. :clap:

Stone - first one for me - the colours are stunning.
Simple - very much on theme and as others have said the white on white works really well.

Stone #2 is one of those images I could look at all day and just drift and I really like the blue sky ( Well I'm used to it aren't I :p) whereas #1 has a lot more stone detail the lighting is very flat and not sure how you could improve other than not being a lazy bugger and setting up agaon when the light improved :D

Loving the high key Simple shot. The curving lines appear to cuddle the soap and you've retained detail in the soap itself (y)

curve of the bath sweeping across the frame ... nice. :D
Thanks David :)

I would have attempted to bring the Simple word out in PP ... a mistake, no doubt.
Ermmm well, I did actually, you should have seen it before I did it :D

Hi Dean. I like the alignment of the soap with the sweeping curves of the bath(?).
Correct... a bath :)

Excellently taken to give such subtle shading, especially to pick out the lettering. :clap:
Thank you Carl... it was a pain picking out the lettering as it was a tad light :)

Stone - #2 for me. It's the non obvious shot (which makes it better imo) and just a simple beautiful image. Some of it even appears to be in focus ;)
Thanks Tim... I think :thinking: :D

Simple - I think you've nailed that one. Nowt else to add.
Cool - Thanks :cool:

Really liking that Dean, great details in there too :)
Cheers Mark :)

The super high key - almost hard to see - image works really well for the theme. It's not a wall-hanger of an image for me, but it's well taken and you've controlled the lighting and reflections well.
Thank you Paul, First time I have tried anything like this to this extreme, not easy is it :)

Stone - first one for me - the colours are stunning.
Thank you Liz :)
Simple - very much on theme and as others have said the white on white works really well.
Thanks again :)

Stone #2 is one of those images I could look at all day and just drift and I really like the blue sky ( Well I'm used to it aren't I :p)
Lucky you :p back ...

whereas #1 has a lot more stone detail the lighting is very flat and not sure how you could improve other than not being a lazy bugger and setting up agaon when the light improved :D
Ooo you cheeky lady :D

Loving the high key Simple shot. The curving lines appear to cuddle the soap and you've retained detail in the soap itself (y)
Thank you Jill, for all the feedback :)

Right... gotta be quick, very tired and got to get up for work in 5 1/2 hours....

I was going to concentrate on my theme shots from Iceland, but in the end went through the whole circa 1200 and was ruthless and deleted 588 of them :D

So now time is running out, a busy week ahead with a business trip to Portugal from Thursday until late Sunday I'm not going to be about much again :(

Sooooo quick edits to keep me there or there about's theme wise.

One of my many shots from the Ice Beach, such a bizarre place I could have stayed there many more hours....

Week 25 - Re-Shoot of 'Rough' ... crashing waves on an iceberg

Week 25 Re-Shoot - Rough by TP DK, on Flickr

And on to the main theme for last week... I tried to find a physical sign that was interesting and different, but did not really see anything, so here is a great little chapel/church/something odd Andy and I found on top of a hill one night... A 110 second exposure to try and get some cloud movement, it was gone Midnight, but to be honest the actual image is much brighter as the sun never goes fully down at this time of year, so I have darkened the image to give it a more 'dark' appearance...

Week 25 - The Cross, A religious 'Sign' :whistle:

Week 25 - Sign by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Dean... two great images there.

Reshoot of rough is a super capture, but I'm not 100% sold on the composition. I didn't quite know why so I had a quick look on google images and I think it's the triangle of land you have included. I personally find all of the images on GI which have this "feature" less compelling than those which are horizontally composed or have the wave crashing over a pier etc. The sky perhaps doesn't help (could be tweaked with a touch of processing maybe) but what I love is the timing of capture and that blue ice. The latter in particular really sets the image apart.

Sign is lovely. Those red tones on the side of the church make it and obviously the wide angle vista of the distant snow-capped mountains are awesome. Only thought (not crit, just a thought) would be to lose a touch off the top & bottom whilst not cropping in too tightly - might just give a squeeze more impact?

Reshoot - nicely timed and great colour in the ice, gives a good feel of a cold, rough sea.

Sign - very good range of colours and details with nice clouds/sky, looks to me like the building is not quite vertical but sloping edges are often misleading I find.

Two nice shots, though the second one for "sign" is really good fits the theme really well sign of the cross and all that
Very good indeed

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful - like them both. Excellent action of the wave against that blue tinted iceberg is wonderful but my fave is the church for the dramatic location and the vibrant red/blue contrast. :clap:

Nice one, Dean, liking the wide DOF and hint of colour.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy :)

Hi Dean... two great images there.
Thanks Paul :)

Reshoot of rough is a super capture, but I'm not 100% sold on the composition. I didn't quite know why so I had a quick look on google images and I think it's the triangle of land you have included. I personally find all of the images on GI which have this "feature" less compelling than those which are horizontally composed or have the wave crashing over a pier etc. The sky perhaps doesn't help (could be tweaked with a touch of processing maybe) but what I love is the timing of capture and that blue ice. The latter in particular really sets the image apart.
Thank you Paul, very valid points, I tried to get the surf coming in from the corner, maybe I needed to include more land ?? - also there is another berg to the left that I have cropped out as it ruined the impact for me, I have made a note on the spreadsheet to re-visit and also spend some time on the sky.... thanks again (y)

Sign is lovely. Those red tones on the side of the church make it and obviously the wide angle vista of the distant snow-capped mountains are awesome. Only thought (not crit, just a thought) would be to lose a touch off the top & bottom whilst not cropping in too tightly - might just give a squeeze more impact?
Ahhhh yes that would look more focused, I will do that, told you I was tired last night :D

Thanks again as always :)

Reshoot - nicely timed and great colour in the ice, gives a good feel of a cold, rough sea.
Thank you Chris :)

Sign - very good range of colours and details with nice clouds/sky, looks to me like the building is not quite vertical but sloping edges are often misleading I find.
Thanks again... and yes, I think you may be right there too with the uprights, another one to tinker with next week :)

Two nice shots, though the second one for "sign" is really good fits the theme really well sign of the cross and all that
Very good indeed
Cheers Allan :)

Double post bloody java script error
Ha Haaaaa :D

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful - like them both. Excellent action of the wave against that blue tinted iceberg is wonderful but my fave is the church for the dramatic location and the vibrant red/blue contrast. :clap:
Cool thank you Carl :cool: :)

Dean, looks like you had a great time on your trip. The photos so far and I am sure yet to come are great.

I really like the re shoot on rough with the waves crashing against the ice.

Sign, well straightforward that's a 'wall hanger' for me

Rough, that messes with my mind TBH, waves crashing over a large ice cube, ( that'd be one hell of a G&T :D )
But it works very well.

Sign, they don't come more obvious than that, nice find, well captured too Dean.

Love the sign shot. On forst glance the colours and lighting are both lovely, then you notice the mountains in the background. Just brilliant [emoji106]

Love your Sign shot, the colors, compo and movement in the sky are all great. Nicely done Sir. (y)
Thank you Nigel :)

Dean, looks like you had a great time on your trip. The photos so far and I am sure yet to come are great.
Cheers Chris, yes I sure did have a great time... and MANY more photo's, just need time to edit them :D

I really like the re shoot on rough with the waves crashing against the ice.
Thank you :)

Sign, well straightforward that's a 'wall hanger' for me
Wow... thanks a lot :)

Hi DK ....love the wave and the iceberg ...what a stunning colour ...I can imagine it was fascinating to sit and watch. There's a beautiful light on your Sign shot .... definitely one to treasure.
Thanks Susie :)

Yes fascinating to watch indeed, half the time things were over my head with how unbelievable they were, desperate to go back again in the winter !!!

Rough, that messes with my mind TBH, waves crashing over a large ice cube, ( that'd be one hell of a G&T :D )
Haaaa yes that would be nice !!!
But it works very well.
Cheers Chris :)

Sign, they don't come more obvious than that, nice find, well captured too Dean.
Thank you again Chris, a real odd building on top of a hill, I'm pretty sure only one person would fit in it :thinking:

Love the sign shot. On forst glance the colours and lighting are both lovely, then you notice the mountains in the background. Just brilliant [emoji106]
Cheers Ian, agreed everywhere you looked the was sights to gaze at :)

Man that looks rough, cold too.

And the cross is first rate, love it ... colour, framing, subject ...

Really like both of those DK lovely detail in Rough and sign the light is simple stunning such a simple but effective image

Man that looks rough, cold too.

And the cross is first rate, love it ... colour, framing, subject ...
Thanks David, it wasn't too bad at all most of the time, we took thermals but never needed them, had to wear Sunglasses while driving one night 'at Midnight' because it was so sunny :thinking:

Really like both of those DK lovely detail in Rough and sign the light is simple stunning such a simple but effective image
Cheers Mark :)

I'm massively behind on comments - sorry!
I love Iceland! Utterly bonkers place and sooo photogenic. I went at new year and I still haven't sifted through all the photos I took!
Two great shots here DK - great timing on the wave breaking (I'm gutted I never got to this part of Iceland - too much snow!). I think my only crit would be that the horizon is a bit squiffy?
The warm tones of 'Sign' are beautiful though - nicely composed with lots of detail all the way through the scene. Great work DK! (y)

Hey DK.
Good trip to Iceland then :)

Rough - A good selection of blues there, and a very unusual shot (at least for us in the lower latitudes). Nicely done.
Sign - The reds and blues really complement each other, both are very vibrant. That's an image you could hang on the wall no problem.

Great shot for (religious) "sign", I love the framing and the vibrant colours. And the sky...

I'm massively behind on comments - sorry!
No worries mate... many of us are !!!
I love Iceland! Utterly bonkers place and sooo photogenic. I went at new year and I still haven't sifted through all the photos I took!
Couldn't agree more and sooooo in the same position with editring
Two great shots here DK - great timing on the wave breaking (I'm gutted I never got to this part of Iceland - too much snow!). I think my only crit would be that the horizon is a bit squiffy?
Thanks MAtt :)

Well I'd love to disagree, and in fact I can not, as very true, it is on the squiff :thinking:
The warm tones of 'Sign' are beautiful though - nicely composed with lots of detail all the way through the scene. Great work DK! (y)
Thanks again :)

The ice beach looks an incredible place to be - love the turquoise of the ice. Your sign shot is simply beautiful - colours, composition, light...wow :clap:
Edit - and I forgot the simple shot - very elegant and clean - lovely!
Cool, thank you lots Emma :cool:

Hey DK.
Good trip to Iceland then :)
Sure did thanks Tim :)

Rough - A good selection of blues there, and a very unusual shot (at least for us in the lower latitudes). Nicely done.
Cheers :)
Sign - The reds and blues really complement each other, both are very vibrant. That's an image you could hang on the wall no problem.
Damn... nice of you to say, thank you :)

Great shot for (religious) "sign", I love the framing and the vibrant colours. And the sky...
Thank you :)

Right... QUICK catch up from me, been a busy week trying to catch up work wise following my Photography Holiday in Iceland and then to Portugal on business within 3 days, I'm now getting there so have been catching up with my 52 and on here today, BUT that does mean 3 themes from me which I do not really like doing...

All three are simple and straight forward from me, all shot with my 100mm macro, had a bit of a play with flash as the natural light has been rubbish today, but although straight forward, I have as always tried to make more of the images than just point and shoot snapshots :)

Week 26 - Flora

Generally very happy with this one

Week 26 Flora by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Dean

Flora - What a striking image love the bright yellow against the black BG lovely lighting and details in both the flower and Bee

Activity - Great DoF and some lovely detail too

Life - Wow loving the detail in Oscar's Fur and the detail in is eyes too love the reflection on his wet nose he must be healthy

Hi Dean,
flora - great picture! I like the composition, the details, and above all the fact that it's almost entirely in B&Y!
activity - well, yes collecting pollen is an activity... great sharpness and details.
life - certainly has an impact, love the eyes and his wet nose

A couple of cracking "floral" Images Dean,
Flora, I like the way the hover fly is framed by the petals.
Activity I really like that one, with the fly positioned on the edge.
Life, a bit of a shoe horn Dean? ( good lad you're learning :D )
Nice detail in the eyes, it certainly has impact that's for sure!

Back