weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

Activity, flora and life are all really good images nice and sharp not sure why you think life is the poorest of the three you have done really well with all the black fur I like the colour and sharpness of flora but the lack of stem is a little odd it looks like its sitting on something maybe it is:thinking:

Brilliant shot for Flora DK - very striking and has real visual impact, helped by the vibrancy of colour against the plain black bg. Activity with the hairy stems being highlighted looks as if it's backlit (?) - nice capture. As for Oscar, he looks great - the close crop accentuates those hypnotic eyes. Excellent set DK. :clap:

Hi DK ...wow those are three super photos ...Love the flower against the black, I'm assuming you did that PP, it really looks effective with the perfectly captured hoverfly. Smashing composition for Active ....and Life is very eye catching...it's quite mesmerizing looking into those eyes ...I really like it :clap:

Hi Dean

Flora - What a striking image love the bright yellow against the black BG lovely lighting and details in both the flower and Bee
Thanks Mark :)

Act
ivity - Great DoF and some lovely detail too
Thanks again :)

Life - Wow loving the detail in Oscar's Fur and the detail in is eyes too love the reflection on his wet nose he must be healthy
He certainly is, and very boisterous, loves a tickle but grabs you with all claws at the same time :D

Hi Dean,
flora - great picture! I like the composition, the details, and above all the fact that it's almost entirely in B&Y!
Cheers Brnrd, that was the plan and glad it worked :)
activity - well, yes collecting pollen is an activity... great sharpness and details.
Haaa yes, a very busy activity for a fly :D
life - certainly has an impact, love the eyes and his wet nose
Thanks again :)

A couple of cracking "floral" Images Dean,
Flora, I like the way the hover fly is framed by the petals.
Thanks Chris, took loads of the little bugger :D
Activity I really like that one, with the fly positioned on the edge.
Thanks again, I did try action shots of the cats, but they were being lazy buggers :bat:
Life, a bit of a shoe horn Dean? ( good lad you're learning :D )
Shhhhhh Just a tad, I think IO got away with it :LOL:
Nice detail in the eyes, it certainly has impact that's for sure!
:)

Activity, flora and life are all really good images nice and sharp not sure why you think life is the poorest of the three you have done really well with all the black fur I like the colour and sharpness of flora but the lack of stem is a little odd it looks like its sitting on something maybe it is:thinking:
Cheers Allan :)

Well, it was shot outside in the daylight, I used fill flash to help darken the background, and it is actually attached to the rest of the plant, on a stem :)

Brilliant shot for Flora DK - very striking and has real visual impact, helped by the vibrancy of colour against the plain black bg.
Thanks a lot Carl :)

Activity with the hairy stems being highlighted looks as if it's backlit (?) - nice capture.
Well... no in fact it is again fill, flash as the wind was too strong to freeze movement with the poor natural light, so fill flash through a Speedlight soft box :)

As for Oscar, he looks great - the close crop accentuates those hypnotic eyes. Excellent set DK. :clap:
Cool, cheers buddy :cool:

Hi DK ...wow those are three super photos ..
Cheers Susie :)

.Love the flower against the black, I'm assuming you did that PP
Well, as above it is mostly fill flash darkening the background BUT also shadows slider slid in the opposite direction to hide detail rather than enhance them :)

, it really looks effective with the perfectly captured hoverfly
YAY :)

Smashing composition for Active ....and Life is very eye catching...it's quite mesmerizing looking into those eyes ...I really like it :clap:
Why thank you :)

Flora is fantastic - great composition with the petals leading you in to the hoverfly and those yellows are so vibrant and in your face. Love it. I like the shot of Oscar very much too - his eyes leap out of that black fur in a very mesmersing way. I might have liked a tiny bit more room on top? But that's being niggly. We have an Oscar too...might have to shoehorn him in one day :)

Really like Flora. Nice and sharp with a lovely contrast with the dark bg and vibrant yellow flower.

Life is a great shot too and very well done for keeping detail in the black coat, so hard to do. He's a handsome fella that's for sure.

Dean, if you hadn't of said it was one of your cats 'life' I was thinking of Panthers and how did he get so close !
Flora, I need to try the black background looks spot on to me !

Last edited:
Rough - what an extraordinary place great shot I like the colour processing too.
sign - vibrant colours I particularly like the sky and the peaks on the Horizon
Flora - very striking Picture I love the bold yellow
Activity - great detail
Life - another striking image love the eyes

Well DK...
Flora - Nicely shot yellow thingy. The wasp(?) is stunningly sharp.
Activity - Fit the theme well, the shallow DoF is very pretty.
Life - Very well taken shot there. A good job with the detail in the blacks there. As others have said, the eyes are great too.

All three catch-ups are more than 'just' that.

The lightis fab in the Flora shot whilst retaining that very dark background, and gret detail in the hover fly.

Great detail in Activity and nice to see a shoehorn from you :p

Cats eyes, I remember doing a similar one last year for Animal. I would have been tempted to crop it almost up to the eyes, in other words cut the bottom half off so that the eyes had more impact.

Three super duper images there DK

I love the hoverfly in the yellow flower (my fav of the three), nice lighting, black BG and no sign of a stem.

Activity - Nice OOF'd green BG and some lovely detail.

Life - scary cat.

Flora is fantastic - great composition with the petals leading you in to the hoverfly and those yellows are so vibrant and in your face. Love it.
Thank you Emma :)

I like the shot of Oscar very much too - his eyes leap out of that black fur in a very mesmersing way. I might have liked a tiny bit more room on top? But that's being niggly.
Thanks Again :)

Well, yes there is room at the top, I didn't even think of adding more :)
We have an Oscar too...might have to shoehorn him in one day :)
Hahaaa would like to see yours too :D

Really like Flora. Nice and sharp with a lovely contrast with the dark bg and vibrant yellow flower.
Thanks Ian :)

Life is a great shot too and very well done for keeping detail in the black coat, so hard to do. He's a handsome fella that's for sure.
Cheers Ian, agree too0 he is a great lad :)

Dean, if you hadn't of said it was one of your cats 'life' I was thinking of Panthers and how did he get so close !
Haahaaaa funny enough we call him that when he is strolling around the garden, :LOL:
Flora, I need to try the black background looks spot on to me !
Cool, thanks... and yes you should :)

Rough - what an extraordinary place great shot I like the colour processing too.
Thank you Minx :)
sign - vibrant colours I particularly like the sky and the peaks on the Horizon
Thank you again :)
Flora - very striking Picture I love the bold yellow
The colours of some flowers sure are good :)
Activity - great detail
Life - another striking image love the eyes
Annnnd a final thank you again, thanks for commenting on all :)

Well DK...
Flora - Nicely shot yellow thingy. The wasp(?) is stunningly sharp.
Haaaa thanks Tim :D - well, I thought it was a hoverfly myself, not certain though :thinking:
Activity - Fit the theme well, the shallow DoF is very pretty.
Life - Very well taken shot there. A good job with the detail in the blacks there. As others have said, the eyes are great too.
Thank you again :)

Three super duper images there DK
Cheers David :)

I love the hoverfly in the yellow flower (my fav of the three), nice lighting, black BG and no sign of a stem.
Cool... thank you :cool:

Activity - Nice OOF'd green BG and some lovely detail.
:)

Life - scary cat.
Soft as **** he is, until his claws come out when tickling his belly :cautious:

Poor Excuses... but busy as hell at work again, late home at night so not got on as I want Bla Bla Bla...

Here is my shot I hoped to get during the week but didn't get the opportunity, a simple image of a lovely local building...

Wk 29 - Buildings from our past 'Hidden' and forgotten

Wk 29 - Hidden by TP DK, on Flickr

What is the world coming to when work impacts upon TP52 .. disgusting state of affairs. Keep up the good fight DK. That looks a beautiful old ruin. Lovely colours and composition and certainly well Hidden. :clap:

It's doing its best to hide behind that tree, nice composition with the wheat and good details in the sky, I might have been tempted to clone out the fence.

What is the world coming to when work impacts upon TP52 .. disgusting state of affairs. Keep up the good fight DK. That looks a beautiful old ruin. Lovely colours and composition and certainly well Hidden. :clap:
Haaaa exactly, it really shouldn't should it, but hey, good to be busy, Thanks Carl :)

It's doing its best to hide behind that tree, nice composition with the wheat and good details in the sky, I might have been tempted to clone out the fence.
Thanks Chris :)

Yes the tree and Ivy are doing their best, the inside is full of plants too :)

As for the fence, I did think about that for a second, but changed my mind quick as I had my next photo to do :D

So onto this week...

Again a nice simple shot nothing complicated, 2 takes so contradicting the singular but I have been struggling to pick one for the last 1/2 hour :thinking:

Wk 30 - a 'Lone' poppy in a barley field

Wk 30 - Lone by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 30 - Lone 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Both excellent Dean - marvellous interpretation by the way. Ooooo hard decision but think #2 edges it for me with fewer distractions and more intensity of detail in those stalks. :clap:

Both excellent Dean - marvellous interpretation by the way. Ooooo hard decision but think #2 edges it for me with fewer distractions and more intensity of detail in those stalks. :clap:
Thanks Carl :)

They are both quite bright images which sure doesn't help reduce distractions as it was a real nice day, I did try to tone them down a bit but they lost all sense of depth, any thoughts ??

Hi DK .....what a great choice of subject for the theme, I was going to say I think it would work well with a crop but then I hopped in here and saw your second one :) i think the first one works well too with just the sky nipped off, I love them both ....definitely one I could live with :clap:

Smashing choice for hidden too :)

Last edited:
They are both quite bright images which sure doesn't help reduce distractions as it was a real nice day, I did try to tone them down a bit but they lost all sense of depth, any thoughts ??
I like the brightness Dean, gives them that lovely summery feel. Don't think you need to change them at all. #2 doesn't have the skyline and has far fewer stalk heads which is why I choose that over the other.

As others have said, a really good take on the theme, first for me as it shows the poppy on its own more.

Hidden, nice, bright and colourful, Dean, and almost hidden too :)

Lone, second one for me, it seems to be bowing its head, in respect.
(don't mind me I tend to see weird stuff in images, I'm sure I'd fail a Rorschach" test :D )

Well spotted and captured Dean.

Hi DK

Hidden is a pleasing landscape, yellow cornfield -liking the inclusion of that corner RHS- the greenery hiding the ruin plus interesting sky. (y)

Lone 2 ... lot of oofness, nice result. (y)

Hi DK .....what a great choice of subject for the theme, I was going to say I think it would work well with a crop but then I hopped in here and saw your second one :) i think the first one works well too with just the sky nipped off, I love them both ....definitely one I could live with :clap:

Smashing choice for hidden too :)
Oooo thank you Susie, glad I surprised you with a second :D

Hi Dean, I must admit I am torn between the poppy's. Cant make my mind up, both great to me !
Glad it's not just me then... cheers Chris :)

Hidden, suits the theme well, perhaps a tighter crop ? Not sure
Possibly yes mate, I did shoot a few closer in but felt it was then more obvious in the frame and not so hidden :D

I like the brightness Dean, gives them that lovely summery feel. Don't think you need to change them at all. #2 doesn't have the skyline and has far fewer stalk heads which is why I choose that over the other.
Good point Carl, yes I guess the second is cleaner :)

2 excellent images for Lonely Dean I think No 1 is my favourite as you can see how lonely the poppy is.
Thank you Mark, agreed, that is why I like this one as I feel it depicts the surroundings more, but at the same time loses detail because of it :thinking:

As others have said, a really good take on the theme, first for me as it shows the poppy on its own more.
Cheers Chris :)

Hidden, nice, bright and colourful, Dean, and almost hidden too :)
Yes mate, almost hidden :whistle: :LOL:

Lone, second one for me, it seems to be bowing its head, in respect.
(don't mind me I tend to see weird stuff in images, I'm sure I'd fail a Rorschach" test :D )
Hahaaaa good, I like your thinking, although that would then appear to make me slightly mad too :D

Well spotted and captured Dean.
Cheers buddy :)

Number 2 for me it just works better
Thanks Allan :)

Hey :)

Hidden, candidate or a B&W IMO, but well composed and well spotted.
Hmmmmm I like that idea, a good candidate for a quite evenin g, as thinking it would help it hide even more, note added (y)

Lone, #1 for me, #2 is wilting a bit :)
Thanks Andy :)

I think it was just having a breather after the heavy wind died down for a second :)

Not a clue on mine yet.

Cheers.
Oh Dear !!!

Helloooooo :)

Hidden is a pleasing landscape, yellow cornfield -liking the inclusion of that corner RHS- the greenery hiding the ruin plus interesting sky. (y)
Cool... thanks mate :cool:

Lone 2 ... lot of oofness, nice result. (y)
Thanks again David :) :)

Hidden - Beautiful, tranquil image and certainly fits the theme.
Lone - Number 2 for me but both lovely shots.

Hi DK,
Hidden - Quite like the composition and the clouds/sky, but it somehow feels a bit muted. It perhaps needs a little more black in the image?
Lone - The first shot. Having the foreground oof helps the image in my view and the poppy is more open.

Hidden - Beautiful, tranquil image and certainly fits the theme.
Lone - Number 2 for me but both lovely shots.
Thank you Liz :)

Hey Tim :)
Hidden - Quite like the composition and the clouds/sky, but it somehow feels a bit muted. It perhaps needs a little more black in the image?
Hmmmmm thank you Tim, I think you may have a valid point there :)
Lone - The first shot. Having the foreground oof helps the image in my view and the poppy is more open.
Thanks again Tim (y)

Good afternoon all.... Now then, this week I thought that the slippery snake had dealt us with a real pig of a theme, but on reflection I decided that it could be twisted to work wasn't quite so bad :)

My idea was to capture photo's of the regional wildlife (in my garden), as usual there was not much around, only one butterfly that was way too high, loads of wasps that were not interesting and bees buzzing around plants that I have done before... there was one visitor that I have tried to capture several times before and not had any descent success, today was not much different, as I did not manage to capture it in flight which is what I wanted, but I did get him sitting still for a change.

I'm happy with the detail and the reason I chose this shot, but I would have preferred a better composition, I did get him in a couple of better feeling images but the focus was oof as usual, little buggers :(

Wk 31 - Fauna

Wk 31 - Fauna by TP DK, on Flickr

Nowt wrong with that at all Dean, great iridescent colour, spot on focus and a good background

An excellent attempt, I feel your frustration, the little sh1ts move very quickly, I think you are right about the composition it feels a little tight in the frame for me

doesn't take away that is an excellent shot of a whatever it is, great colour and detail :clap:

Back