weekly dmb's 52 of 2017 ( Wk 52 - Weather) - Made it to end :-)

Brilliant idea and pic of the week for me.love the idea, the execution, all of it, well done.

woo ... like that, but looking more closely I see 1 or 2 little thing that need cloning out.

Week 40 - Wood(en)

Wooden_Cross

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

A pair of wooden crosses were erected by the main car park in Sandbach in 2006 in an 'homage' to the much older 9th century Saxon stone crosses in the market square. HP5+ film with a little digital post-processing to accentuate the film grain.

Week 41 - Wall(ed)

Soft_Brick

I love it when things come together, right theme, visiting somewhere that fits theme anyway, sun comes out. :)

Now to get caught up on commenting ......

Last edited:
Wood is a nice gritty looking shot David, goes well in mono and nice texture to it too.

Thanks - Don't often shoot HP5+ in 35mm as usually I prefer less grain, but this roll was in the goodie bag I got when visiting Ilford factory a few years ago and has been sitting in the fridge since and just on date. So used for some shots at the Film and Conventional Meet-up the other week and finished it off for the 52.

Last edited:
Bit of a shame the light was on the right of the cross rather than the front but good subject for the theme and nicely separated from the background.

Quick off the mark with Wall, bang on theme and and great light picking out the details.

I like both these. (y)

Pagan crosses are always of interest and this an interesting wooden homage ... I like your POV even tho the light is on the wrong side really.

Wall ... nice one, been thinking along similar lines myself.

Nice shot for wall David

"wood" its nice to see some film in here and a great subject too

"wall" I agree, nice find

Hi David,

Display - She certainly looks like she's having fun. You've nailed the focus which can't have been easy as you had to go quite wide to get enough light to have the fast shutter.

Bent - Excellent idea and well executed. It's a odd shot as it appears a bit soft until you view it full size in flickr, and then it looks sharper.
Maybe I need to go to specsavers!

Wooden - I like that you've not gone square on, but still allow a view through the holes in the cross. Good angle. I also like the processing.
(y)

Wall - Agreed, nice find. Not sure about cutting Metallica out though. ;)

it appears a bit soft until you view it full size in flickr, and then it looks sharper.
Maybe I need to go to specsavers!

I think it is Flickr that needs the 'specs', it does seem to soften things when it shows at 1024px. I'm thinking of adding a suggestion, in text after the Flickt link, to open in larger size.

Not sure about cutting Metallica out though.

Needed a wider lens or a step-ladder, like whoever carved Metallica as it was about 9ft up. :)

Last edited:
Bent
That's a cracking idea. It works really well.

Wood
A good pov, if just like to see the cross lightened up a bit.

Wall
Thats an unusual wall with all that writing scratched into the bricks.

Wooden looks a bit to noisy to for me tbh...

Wall is a very apt pic for the theme

Symmetrical
Love the idea of using the £50's, works well.
Worn
Good find for the theme and well taken. Having the background out of focus makes it stand out well.

Hi David,

Symmetry - Serviettes from Poundland, lol, had me fooled. Works nicely and I like the off cream background.

Worn - Ah gotcha. I wondered what it was, but with your explanation it was obvious.
Seen a lot of stuff like that on the canals when we used to spend our summer hols bumming around on canal boats from pub to pub.
Nicely spotted and captured.

fake 50s eh! I'd never have guessed it. Works well. I'm surprised we didn't get more tabletop arrangements for the Symmetry theme.

Worn ... yes stands out from the BG nicely.

Rotational symmetry, nicely put together,

Worn is a good find and well photographed, rust always make for good tones IMHO and the OOF background sets it off well..

Week 44 - Colour(ful)

So I'd just loaded a charity shop Lomo LC-A (£8) with the last of 50ft of seriously outdated Ilford B&W cinefilm that I'd found in a bulk film loader in the local flea market (£1). What does @Cobra pick as a theme? COLOUR(FUL).

So, @d00d , @Tilz , @posiview, @Nostromo , @susiejb here is a true LO-FI triple black and white exposure using RGB filtered flashes and recombined in GIMP.

rgb_layers_reg

Reactions: dmb
That's real dedication to a 52 theme, top marks for effort

Nice work

Back