Dom's 52 for 2019 - Week 19 "Decay"

Hi Dominic, personally i would like to see the bunny more central and a little more depth of field, good start though.

I think it's a good shot, but maybe the background could be better. It's kind of half light and half dark as it is. You could experiment with a more uniform background. As the bunny is light maybe a darker background would look better. Maybe getting it to stay still long enough is the real challenge!!

The background is a bit messy but you probably have the same problem as I have in getting the animal (kitten in my case) to stay still enough to focus, never mind what is in the background! Didn't realise bunnies had such big whiskers! Has he/she got a name?

nice bunny unfortunately I have to agree with the others on the background :( which does detract somewhat from the pic.
as said a cleaner background it would have been a great shot but picturing animals is not easy. (3 dogs and still don't have a good pic of 1 of the 3 after 10 years)

I agree with Dave that it should have been in the middle as it would have made the whiskers spread nicely across the image, although, i'm not too bothered about the background personally. I think it's another out of focus for me to concentrate on the bunny.

Nice first entry

You should have some fun with that X-T20, looks to be a decent camera.

It may have been worth going for a deeper DoF to get the whole of the bunny's face in focus, blurring the nose doesn't feel right (but then that would have affected your background).
I disagree with Dave on the placement of the bunny, it's on the 1/3rd, which I think works better.

Hi Dominic, personally i would like to see the bunny more central and a little more depth of field, good start though.
I think it's a good shot, but maybe the background could be better. It's kind of half light and half dark as it is. You could experiment with a more uniform background. As the bunny is light maybe a darker background would look better. Maybe getting it to stay still long enough is the real challenge!!
The background is a bit messy but you probably have the same problem as I have in getting the animal (kitten in my case) to stay still enough to focus, never mind what is in the background! Didn't realise bunnies had such big whiskers! Has he/she got a name?
nice bunny unfortunately I have to agree with the others on the background :( which does detract somewhat from the pic.
as said a cleaner background it would have been a great shot but picturing animals is not easy. (3 dogs and still don't have a good pic of 1 of the 3 after 10 years)
Hi Dom, welcome to the 52 I`m sure you will get better with each image you take. On your rabbit shot I would of had it bang in the middle, but as you are learning well done and welcome to Fuji. If I can find my old X-T20 TIPS and TRICKS book you can have it.
I agree with Dave that it should have been in the middle as it would have made the whiskers spread nicely across the image, although, i'm not too bothered about the background personally. I think it's another out of focus for me to concentrate on the bunny.

Nice first entry

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Definitely will bear it in mind for future compositions. Unfortunately I had to do an off centre crop to remove some more living room furniture in the background. (The excuses begin!)

I would like to revisit this image again though. Perhaps during the day so I can lengthen the depth of field a bit, rabbit permitting of course! And i'll look into some makeshift backdrops.

Her name is Pumpkin and I'm sure she'll make another appearance at some point. Cheers for the warm welcome!

New
I'm a bit of a sucker for animal photos.
I like the pose you've caught, I would like to have seen a bit more rabbit (feet).
The background in photos is so important, nearly as much as your main subject. You want people to focus on your subject, you want it to standout.
In your photo of your rabbit, if you could just darken the background, it would become less intrusive. People's eyes are drawn to bright areas of photos, so by darkening the background, the viewers eye is drawn to the rabbit with it being brighter. This would also give the photo more contrast, which is a good thing in black and white photos.

Welcome aboard, Dom, and have fun with your 52. It's a great way to learn different techniques and get feedback from others, and the Fuji is an excellent camera (I have it's bigger brother the X-T2) so it should be a great tool for your learning process.

I hope we get to see more images of Pumpkin during the year as she's gorgeous :) Her whiskers are lovely and sharp while the reflection in her eye draws you in, as Chris says above. It looks as though you were struggling for sufficient depth of field as her ears and possibly nose are running out of focus, but as you were indoors I guess you were working at a wide aperture. That does help to throw the background nicely out of focus too though, as does your choice of black and white, and I think the edit has worked well to remove the distractions on the left hand side.

You're off to a great start :)

Dom

The Crop looks better. If you wanted the bunny off centre try a different angle so s/he is looking towards the middle a bit

Pete

Hi Dom, Pumpkin is a very cute rabbit. I quite liked that she was off centre ;) The bg doesn't bother me too much either as I think she is big enough in the picture and the bg is just about oof enough. I don't know why but I find it more distraction in the crop. Would have been nice if the ears were in focus too but those whiskers are amazingly long. Look forward to seeing more images of her as we go along:)

Those whiskers really stand out, I would prefer more of the face to be in focus but the background doesn't bother me. It's a lovely shot and the b/w works well

Week 2 - Clean

Struggled for ideas with this one. Purchased Lightroom 6 this weekend though, so this is my first edited Raw image. Spot me in the tap..

IMG_5177.JPG

Good take on the theme, and the reflections in the tap look smart. I imagined you used a wide-angle for the shot (I am no expert, either, so correct me if I'm wrong) because the tiles aren't straight. I think a 50mm gives zero distortion. and so would leave the tiles nice and straight (if so desired, of course). Cheers.

@BobBCN, the perspective is more likely due to the shot being taken from above than using a wide angle lens, though I agree, it probably isn't using a 50mm, however, I don't think a 50 would avoid it.
@DomRim. I like the colours you've captured there in the tiles, and the control of the whites and shiny areas which could so easily have blown. Nice shot for the theme.

Good take on the theme, and the reflections in the tap look smart. I imagined you used a wide-angle for the shot (I am no expert, either, so correct me if I'm wrong) because the tiles aren't straight. I think a 50mm gives zero distortion. and so would leave the tiles nice and straight (if so desired, of course). Cheers.
@BobBCN, the perspective is more likely due to the shot being taken from above than using a wide angle lens, though I agree, it probably isn't using a 50mm, however, I don't think a 50 would avoid it.
@DomRim. I like the colours you've captured there in the tiles, and the control of the whites and shiny areas which could so easily have blown. Nice shot for the theme.

Yeah it’s a 16-50 lens set at 16 then cropped in post. But good point about the perspective and lens choice. It could be the tiles are crooked, not much in the house is straight! Thanks guys.

Clean
It's a good at go at the theme.
I would like to see it brightened up a little and a play around with the white slider in lr, the whites look a little grey. That being said, I think over all it's worked.

Good luck with your 2019 challenge always good to get a " New " camera and what better way to test it out than with the first image for the 52 challenge, as the others have said the cropped version of the bunny is better.

Clean nice simple shot for a tricky theme, the coloured tiles add interest to the image and the reflections in the taps are pretty good.

Great use of reflections and very nice cool tones.
A well composed and balanced image with highlights intact - especially the soap, as Tim above said, could so easily have lost those edges with blown highlights, but nicely done in avoiding that.(y)

The shine and reflections in the tap really pop and the soap underlines the 'clean' theme, so well done on both counts, Dom. I think it may be slightly underexposed and agree with Dominic that it could benefit from a little tweak on the whites slider, but in every other regard it's spot on (y)

Week 3 - Open Coil Guitar Pickups.

After toying with ideas of open books, open doors & open lens etc. I was playing guitar and it dawned on me that I could shoe horn a guitar photo into my 52. I spent the first half hour taking some "great" shots, only to find that I didn't have card in the camera.... If your camera is displaying a message after every photo, its probably worth reading it!

Slightly less enthused, I decided on this composition. Thinking about the feedback from week one I tried to clear up the background as much as possible before taking the picture and not relying on a crop later on. I used a black t-shirt to cover my computer and a black pillowcase to cover my desk. A shallow depth of field drew focus to the bridge pickup instead of the entire guitar. I made use of the strings as leader lines to draw the viewer in and this allowed me to place the pickup on the 1/3. I decided to go with black and white to make the dust from my red plectrum less distracting (Guitars are made to be played not cleaned). Overall though pretty happy with this weeks entry.

DSCF7987.jpg

Like it - looks like a nice old workhorse too ;)

Great shot Dom loving the mono treatment in this image, bang on with the Dof and good tones. I have forgotten to put the card back in the my camera, so I think we all do it sometimes.

Thanks Dave, i'll be more vigilant checking from now on!

Like it - looks like a nice old workhorse too ;)
Thanks Dave, it takes a beating and comes back for more.

Like this, the dof and b&w conversation. The angle opposed to straight on works really well

Thanks Chris, I couldn't get over it with my tripod and handheld wasn't working with the light available. Embrace the restrictions I guess!

Great shot. Suits mono and fits the theme perfectly.
Thanks Bob

Back