weekly Downton Mini's '52 for 2016 Week 52 Celebration THe FInal Chapter!!!

Hey Mark. Yes, it does look unusual but like Chris I think it's seaspray being agitated by air movement. My gosh that person looks miles away from anything. Terrific shot for Black & White - particularly like the expressions and the reflection below the engineer.

Thanks Carl I think you and Chris are right it was quite breezy out there

What a stunning location St.Catherines island is. Another excellent bit of processing which suits the craggy landscape.

Well those were worth waiting for Mark, Serene is a perfect choice, love that lone figure on the beach. Black and white, I really like the way you've caught the interaction with the train driver ...spot on. Ancient ...another one perfect for the theme, not certain about the lone figure on that one, but that's a minor detail, a smashing catch up.

What a stunning location St.Catherines island is. Another excellent bit of processing which suits the craggy landscape.

Thanks Carl I love Tenby and St Catherine's such a photogenic place.

Well those were worth waiting for Mark, Serene is a perfect choice, love that lone figure on the beach. Black and white, I really like the way you've caught the interaction with the train driver ...spot on. Ancient ...another one perfect for the theme, not certain about the lone figure on that one, but that's a minor detail, a smashing catch up.

Thanks Susie I wasn't sure about leaving the lone figure in but left it in the end for a sense of scale.

Ancient, bloody planners :bat:

Plenty of character in that fort.

I do like the inclusion of the chap at the bottom.

I thought my sensor was dirty ;)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy yes I really should take it to get it cleaned (to scared to do it myself!)

And finally I'm up to date with week 40 After

After spending a few hours this morning clean my Big MINI it looks like this

AFTER-3 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

This is what it looked like before after a weekend on the wet Welsh roads!

BEFORE by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Third urban for me as it seems to have more urban clutter.

The second shot of the Docs has a bit more space, slight shame about the leaf on the left.

Big certainly is, I think I prefer the first both for the mono and the perspective making it look bigger

Your mini scrubs up nicely, lovely shine on it. Don't suppose you want to nip round and give our cars a polish? :)

Urban 4 - B&W works well for the subject
Pair 2 - the slightly tighter crop
Big 3 - B&W and the grittiness of the high ISO works pretty well
After - yes, that’s clean :)

Hi Mark. This is not really going to help ..... but my preference for Urban is #1 - got lots going for it with graffiti and contrast in building architecture and the taste of the surrounding environment. (I like #6 too for the colour and that lone forlorn figure seated on the bench). Pair-1 for me (the second shot) - both good but the lace is cropped in Pair-2 which marginally detracts. Big-3 is my fave - better more open position of the front of the lens (my gosh that 15-500 is huge!). Yes, lovely shiny mini - like all those reflections in the bodywork and glass.

The close-up of the lens makes it look really Big but I love the car, what a grand job you did, fantastic polish.:)

Hi, like the building for"urban" and the b+w conversion but to much road at the bottom you have taken out the top
Snazzy shoes what more can I say bit more attention to the set up maybe
Again the BG for the lens doesn't work for me something a little less busy perhaps
You have done a good job on the car must have taken you a while

Wow - what a catch up! My favourites are definitely the black and white - great interaction and energy in that shot - and ancient. I do like the figure in the foreground here for scale - it looks an amazing place. I enjoyed seeing the before and after on your car, too - nice idea :)

Hey Mark.
Serene - Not for me I'm afraid, nothing really going on (which I suppose is the point, but...)
Black & White - I do hope that wasn't champagne... It works as an image well due to the human interest.
Ancient - I like that, the hard light works well bringing out the details. The lone hiker in the foreground adds a sense of scale.
Urban - #2. The images along the bottom bring it to life. I don't like the people walking along in front, but at the forum size they don't stand out.
Pairs - The wider crop works better imo, gives it more context.
Big - lol yes, it is a tad noisy isn't it. Don't mind that though. However I'm missing some contrast, the blacks don't seem deep enough to me.
After - The clean shot works better but it's ashame about the car behind it. Perhaps stepping a few feet to your right may have lost it? The angle works nicely, I assume you're crouched down a bit to give it that perspective.

Third urban for me as it seems to have more urban clutter.

The second shot of the Docs has a bit more space, slight shame about the leaf on the left.

Big certainly is, I think I prefer the first both for the mono and the perspective making it look bigger

Your mini scrubs up nicely, lovely shine on it. Don't suppose you want to nip round and give our cars a polish? :)

Thanks Chris

I didn't notice the leaf until I put on the computer :eggface: the Mini only had a quick clean I have spent a whole day in the past cleaning each of them. I usally have all the neighbours asking me if they can leave their cars with me!

Urban 4 - B&W works well for the subject
Pair 2 - the slightly tighter crop
Big 3 - B&W and the grittiness of the high ISO works pretty well
After - yes, that’s clean :)

Thanks Bernd :)

Hi Mark. This is not really going to help ..... but my preference for Urban is #1 - got lots going for it with graffiti and contrast in building architecture and the taste of the surrounding environment. (I like #6 too for the colour and that lone forlorn figure seated on the bench). Pair-1 for me (the second shot) - both good but the lace is cropped in Pair-2 which marginally detracts. Big-3 is my fave - better more open position of the front of the lens (my gosh that 15-500 is huge!). Yes, lovely shiny mini - like all those reflections in the bodywork and glass.

The close-up of the lens makes it look really Big but I love the car, what a grand job you did, fantastic polish.:)

Thank you Shirley

Hi, like the building for"urban" and the b+w conversion but to much road at the bottom you have taken out the top
Snazzy shoes what more can I say bit more attention to the set up maybe
Again the BG for the lens doesn't work for me something a little less busy perhaps
You have done a good job on the car must have taken you a while

Thanks Allan

I wish I had of taken my wide angle lens with me for Urban as there are a lot of lovely old building around there and I would have been able to get more of them in.

I completely missed the leaf when I took the picture of the boots as you say a little more care next time.

The BG for big is the tiles in the kitchen I may try it again with a piece of white or black card behind it.

Wow - what a catch up! My favourites are definitely the black and white - great interaction and energy in that shot - and ancient. I do like the figure in the foreground here for scale - it looks an amazing place. I enjoyed seeing the before and after on your car, too - nice idea :)

Thanks Emma :) I am determined to complete this years 52

Hey Mark.
Serene - Not for me I'm afraid, nothing really going on (which I suppose is the point, but...)
Black & White - I do hope that wasn't champagne... It works as an image well due to the human interest.
Ancient - I like that, the hard light works well bringing out the details. The lone hiker in the foreground adds a sense of scale.
Urban - #2. The images along the bottom bring it to life. I don't like the people walking along in front, but at the forum size they don't stand out.
Pairs - The wider crop works better imo, gives it more context.
Big - lol yes, it is a tad noisy isn't it. Don't mind that though. However I'm missing some contrast, the blacks don't seem deep enough to me.
After - The clean shot works better but it's ashame about the car behind it. Perhaps stepping a few feet to your right may have lost it? The angle works nicely, I assume you're crouched down a bit to give it that perspective.

Thank you Tim

I must admit Serene was a but of a that will do image!

It was champagne but it was a passengers who asked the driver to hold it for a photo!

I could spend ages photographing St Catherine's Island just a pity you can no longer get onto it since it closed in August.

I was torn between waiting for the people to go out of the frame or leave them in I left them in for a little bit of human interest

I prefer the wider crop but the leaf annoys me may have to try and clone it out.

Big I will blame the camera for setting the ISO that high It was nothing to do with the idiot behind it honest :oops: :$

Yes I crouched down for the after shoot one I have a couple of other angles but I think they all have other cars in the BG i will have a look :)

mark..i dont see anything but those boots...they are awesome!! i wont show my daughter as she's into DMs ..urban didnt do much for me, the B&W could have but the chimney was chopped off i think...still, it stood out

Looks good after a shine! Come and do mine please :)
I like your pair too and your big is certainly a big piece of glass.

Thanks Clive it is big and heavy need to get it out more

Interesting stuff Mark. B&W is a super capture and nicely converted. (y)

Thanks David.

mark..i dont see anything but those boots...they are awesome!! i wont show my daughter as she's into DMs ..urban didnt do much for me, the B&W could have but the chimney was chopped off i think...still, it stood out

Thank you Frank I love my DM's now have 2 pair but the UJ ones are my favourites.

While I'm waiting for an Alien to appear..... I thought I would move on to Liquid

Yesterday morning I went to a gathering of Narrow Boats at the Bonded Warehouse in Stourbridge it had rained really heavy earlier in the morning so there were a few puddles about and I got a few images that I think work for liquid.

LIQUID 1 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

LIQUID 3 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

LIQUID 4 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Sadly there were no puddles by the brightly coloured narrow boats :( so I had to use the canal but it wasn't smooth.

LIQUID 2 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

I prefer liquid 1, great reflections in that puddle and it has a very urban feel to it.

1st liquid for me too, Mark, love the colours and the rustic, decaying textures.

I'm back!!!! :p

Thank you for all your comments I very nearly brought the socks but resisted :eek:

Now on to week 34 and Serene

I spotted this while waiting for 200 Minis to arrive on WestwardHo! promenade on the Sunday of August Bank Holiday weekend

I thought the mist was really odd as it was only in that one spot!

SERENE by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

You were waiting for the riviera run! God that brings back memories! I was doing that 17 years ago

The mirror-like reflection in the first would be my pick but #2 and #3 perhaps say "liquid" a little more with the transparency in #2 and the ripples in #3

I prefer liquid 1, great reflections in that puddle and it has a very urban feel to it.

Thanks Bernd the building is part of an old rolled steel works. When we used to go to this rally on hte boat I remember the rolls of steel being stacked out side sadly it closed years ago.

1st liquid for me too, Mark, love the colours and the rustic, decaying textures.

Thanks Chris :)

No.1 for me too although No.4 the car reflection also works to an extent, nice idea

Thanks Allan I got a few strage looks from people walking past me!

The mirror-like reflection in the first would be my pick but #2 and #3 perhaps say "liquid" a little more with the transparency in #2 and the ripples in #3

Thanks Chris

Hey Mark :)

Nice set, but for me it's the first one by a mile, really liking the textures and colours, a great find indeed (y)

Did you go out looking for this one ??

Cheers Dean I didn't go out looking for them to be honest. There was a boat (narrow boats) rally up at the Bonded Warehouse just up the road form me after the rain on Sunday morning it brightened up so I took a trip up there to see if I could get any decent photos of the boats etc, Luckily I found these puddles I did get some strange looks though and nearly got run over by a steam lorry! :eek:

Not the Riv run but The Legendary Grand Tour (I've never actually done the Riv run buts it on the list!)

Ah yeah of course! That's the one I meant! Many years spent parked on seafront waiting ! Valley of the rocks great road! And boiling brake calipers on porlock hill on way home!

Ah yeah of course! That's the one I meant! Many years spent parked on seafront waiting ! Valley of the rocks great road! And boiling brake calipers on porlock hill on way home!

That's the one been doing it since 2006 and love it. The trouble is keep coming up with different fancy dress ideas. We did Batman and Robin the first year... it was like a Batman and Robin convention! This year we did Snoopy

LGT 2016-753 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

LGT 2016-758 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Hi Mark. the first shot for me too - just love the dereliction, textures and colours of the corrugated metal reflected in the puddle. (The searching for Alien is over - I think your mini run shots qualify ... maybe over-qualify hahahaha)

Hi Mark. the first shot for me too - just love the dereliction, textures and colours of the corrugated metal reflected in the puddle. (The searching for Alien is over - I think your mini run shots qualify ... maybe over-qualify hahahaha)

Thanks Carl

Hang on I'm not sure how to take that comment! there were over 200 cars and when those photos were taken we were all parked in a line to regroup before heading for the valley of the rocks. I did get lots of looks driving up and down the M5 with the stickers all over the car including one young lad literally hanging out of the front passenger side window giving me the thumbs up!! ( I should add that the kennel and snoopy weren't on the roof at the time) all in aid of a good cause and my brother and myself raised just under £1000 and at the transport show we went to the next week (complete with snoopy and his house) we won a trophy!

Liquid #1 for me ... interestingly different subject, great reflection ...

Thanks David

Hang on I'm not sure how to take that comment! there were over 200 cars and when those photos were taken we were all parked in a line to regroup before heading for the valley of the rocks. I did get lots of looks driving up and down the M5 with the stickers all over the car including one young lad literally hanging out of the front passenger side window giving me the thumbs up!! ( I should add that the kennel and snoopy weren't on the roof at the time) all in aid of a good cause and my brother and myself raised just under £1000 and at the transport show we went to the next week (complete with snoopy and his house) we won a trophy!
Good for you and the others Mark - well done. To give up your time for charity - much respect and :clap:

Last edited:
Good for you and the others Mark - well done. To give up your time for charity - much respect and :clap:

Thanks Carl I love the event the only issue is what to do next year for the fancy dress.... Last year I was a roll of film!

Hi, Liquid is the one that stands out, but, I find myself drawn to #2, I find myself looking into the pool and the details I can find.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Just need to sort Alien out and I'll be up to date.

Back