weekly Downton Mini's '52 for 2016 Week 52 Celebration THe FInal Chapter!!!

Yes, #1 for me too Mark - bright and colourful .... (I do like the union jacks though). Just realised I unintentionally bypassed your Culture shot. I like that - all that memorabilia dotted around, quite absorbing

Last edited:
Yep that's certainly a lot of balls there Mark :D

Is it just me or is that last one quite soft?

I prefer that last one for arranged, but agree a tad soft, them union jack ones are nice and unusual :)

I like the Christmas themed evenings, always tough to capture in low light and other people milling around (y)

Hi Mark,
Culture. White Balance!!! (Only kidding).
Interesting subject matter you've captured there, and for the era I think it's supposed to be portraying, the shot would hae ben taken with 100ASA film.

Arranged. I actually prefer the first of the three shots. The colour matching of the baubles works really well.

Hi Mark,
I have a bit of a "bah humbug" approach to Christmas, but that shouldn't prevent me from commenting on your photos :)

Culture: I like the idea and the candle lit atmosphere, but I think there's something missing in your composition. Maybe a lower PoV would help?
Arranged: Great idea, I prefer #1, the others are in my opinion a bit dark (and the last one looks a bit soft).

Hi Mark, love the idea of the war time Christmas, good to see that they managed a nice big Christmas cake :) I think the soft lighting adds to the Christmassy feel, it might take a slight crop on the left ...maybe o_O I can't decide.

Fiirst baubles for me, the others look a bit dark and seem to lack the sparkle of that one.

The first baubles for me too Mark for the same reason as Susie. There's certainly lots to look at in your cultural shot - maybe cropping below the ceiling beams would have put more focus on the faces?

Yes, #1 for me too Mark - bright and colourful .... (I do like the union jacks though). Just realised I unintentionally bypassed your Culture shot. I like that - all that memorabilia dotted around, quite absorbing

Thank you all for your comments

I had to light arranged with a touch as my flash was playing up I agree the last one is a little soft which is a bit disappointing but I see it as a learning curve (a big curve!)

Nearly there just one to go, well done male/female both good for the theme out and about could do with some red tail lights works well enough though.

Have a good Christmas and new year

I really like the girl on the train Mark (y)

I like the girl on the train image myself mark, although the vignette is a tad heavy for me :)

Out and about, what a good setting, a real nice spot with the curve at the end of the road, it's nice to see even head and tail lights too, plus some starbursts, splendid (y)

Well done Mark - all really good. Out & About 3 for me but hard to choose between Male/Female ... maybe the girl edges.

Hi Mark,
Male/Female - I prefer the 'Girl on a Train' image, but then, it has a train in it, so obviously...
I like the way her attire matches carriage she's in.
That's early GWR stock isn't it? (Judging by the windows and teak).

Out & About - I think I prefer the 3rd image of the set. Whilst there are more rear lights evident in the first shot, you've stopped down the aperture for the later two, to get the starbursts.

Some great photos to choose from. Rory looks happy with his Frisbee and his warm hi-viz jumper, and the 'Girl on the Train' is very well composed (and posed). Maybe a tad too bright towards the bottom corner.

I'm not sure which one I prefer for 'out and about'. On one hand I like the intensely coloured light trails of the cars in #1, on the other hand I quite like the starbursts of #3...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Nearly there just one to go, well done male/female both good for the theme out and about could do with some red tail lights works well enough though.

Have a good Christmas and new year

Thanks Allan everytime I changed the direction I had the camera the volume of red tail lights dropped I'm sure they were doing it on purpose!

I really like the girl on the train Mark (y)

Thanks Cobra I wasn't sure about it at first but the more I looked at it the more I liked it (I like it even more since it got 20 as a print at the club!:LOL:)

Hi Mark, Rory looks very happy with his frisbee but I love the girl on the train, that is a really fabulous photo.
Smashing light trails for 'out and about', an excellent choice for the theme.

Thanks Susie

I like the girl on the train image myself mark, although the vignette is a tad heavy for me :)

Out and about, what a good setting, a real nice spot with the curve at the end of the road, it's nice to see even head and tail lights too, plus some starbursts, splendid (y)

Thanks Dean I'm not sure where the white 'steam' came from I don't remember it being there but I haven't added anything the only thing I've thought of is a bit of fogging on the lens.

Well done Mark - all really good. Out & About 3 for me but hard to choose between Male/Female ... maybe the girl edges.

Thanks Carl

Hi Mark,
Male/Female - I prefer the 'Girl on a Train' image, but then, it has a train in it, so obviously...
I like the way her attire matches carriage she's in.
That's early GWR stock isn't it? (Judging by the windows and teak).

Out & About - I think I prefer the 3rd image of the set. Whilst there are more rear lights evident in the first shot, you've stopped down the aperture for the later two, to get the starbursts.

Thanks Tim I think it is early GWR stock.

I could have spent longer on the bridge but I had my brother with me (for security!) and the traffic was getting lighter (I guess I should have gone earlier then the night before Christmas Eve!

Some great photos to choose from. Rory looks happy with his Frisbee and his warm hi-viz jumper, and the 'Girl on the Train' is very well composed (and posed). Maybe a tad too bright towards the bottom corner.

I'm not sure which one I prefer for 'out and about'. On one hand I like the intensely coloured light trails of the cars in #1, on the other hand I quite like the starbursts of #3...

Thanks Bernd yes Rory loves being out on the fields despite being 13 he can still run when he wants too!

I like both your male and female photos a lot Mark - lovely sharp eyes on Rory and wonderful engagement with the girl on the train. I'm with Bernd on your light trail shots - the brightness of 1 and the starbursts of 3 for me too.

Thank you Emma

And on to week 52 yes really I have made it!!!!

So while most normal people where still in bed on Boxing Day morning I was on the road to Tenby we arrived in time to get unpacked and go and watch the Boxing Day swim part of Tenby's Christmas Celebrations

CELEBRATE-1 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

And on New Years Day we also watched The Saundersfoot New Years Day Swim with over 1000 swimmers (according to the local paper) and several thousand spectators this has been part of Saudersfoot's New Years Celebrations for over 30 years and I have done it twice in the past!

CELEBRATE-2 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

And that's it now where my 2017 thread.......

:clap: Well done Mark. Nice unusual form of celebration to finish on. Prefer #2 as it shows the huge following the event has. (Get ready - Week 1 of 2017 starts tomorrow!)

:clap: Well done Mark. Nice unusual form of celebration to finish on. Prefer #2 as it shows the huge following the event has. (Get ready - Week 1 of 2017 starts tomorrow!)

Thanks Carl I must admit I prefer watching the New Years Day Swim as you can see more of it.

Yes ready for 2017 already got an idea for Week 0 which I'm already late with!

YAY !!! and he is there :)

Well done ark, two good record shots there, some real mad people by the looks of it, and seems you watched two, is this something you have done before or just like ??

Thanks Dean I have done the New Years Day Swim twice but it bl$%dy freezing I keep thinking I'll do it next time...... Then I think no it's far better to watch others doing these silly things :D

Gratz on getting across the finish lione with your 52 Mark.
Nutters the whole lot of them!!!
I prefer the first of the two shots, the girl with her bunny adds interest to what would otherwise be a 'record' shot. Very amusing the way she seems to have no interest in the event going on behind her.

Back