weekly Downton Mini's '52 for 2016 Week 52 Celebration THe FInal Chapter!!!

Spooky works well Mark, especially with the giant in the left hand corner :D

What a beautiful building that is - very well taken; prefer the first (without the "giant"). Nice Urban shot - can imagine a leisurely stroll along the path. Excellently exposed and lovely detail.

Hi Mark,
Good idea, but not sure you've pulled it off. Your ghosts (spooky-2) are a bit too opaque, especially with the blurred chap on the left 1/3rd.
Not sure what your original images are like, but if possible I would be reducing the opacity so that your ghosts were slightly more obvious.
Spooky-1 feels better to me. though perversely I would try to make them more opaque.

Urban Re-shoot - A good counterpoint of industry vs wildlife. Canals are excellent subjects for that kind of thing.
I like the way the tow path leads you to the bridge and then onto the buildings.

Prefer the first one too, ideal place for this theme some spooky cloisters

First one for me too, I think the fainter ghosts work better for the theme

The first spooky works very well Chris - those cloisters just ooze history.

Thank you all for your comments to be fair I wasn't actually going for this look I actually wanted this image

LACOCK1 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

When I reviewed the images I thought they were quite ghostly and spooky.

Okay so on to Week 45 and Pose now I now some will frown upon this but it is an Archive image from about 12 months ago.

Taken during my first visit to a proper studio as part of a group from Kidderminster Camera Club, I am quite proud of this image as it got second overall in the people category in Print of the Year at the end of last seasons league competitions.

Pose 1 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

I will endeavour to get a more up to date image for Pose as soon as I can

I now some will frown upon this but it is an Archive image from about 12 months ago.
We've ( mostly) all done it at some point, when we've been stuck Mark :)
A very well deserved 2nd, the winner must have been a stunner to beat that (y)

We've ( mostly) all done it at some point, when we've been stuck Mark :)
A very well deserved 2nd, the winner must have been a stunner to beat that (y)

Thanks Chris I've actually submitted this and 2 other images I've used as part of my 52 into the Smethwick International my first time entering an external exhibition. Just got to wait until later this month to see if any of them get accepted!!

You might not of thought of them two shots for Spooky Mark, but damn they work well, the first one for me more as the figures are less obvious, super images (y)

Thanks Dean I guess it just goes to show you never know what you'll see when you review you images properly!

As for pose - a stunning image, love the lighting on that, and the models pose, she must have been over the moon with the image :clap:

Thanks Dean she was I sent her copies of all decent images I got but this was my favourite of batch.

Love the perpective on your first Spooky Mark, and with those soft spooky shadows it work perfectly for the theme.

Thanks Susie

Pose is beautiful, so you're forgiven for an archive photo :) l love the catchlight in the eyes and the subtle lighting.

Thanks Susie I really enjoyed working in the Studio I hoping to do some more next year but with a professional model (for me this is a scary thing to do as I'm usually quite shy!)

Spooky #1 ... great location for that kind of thing. (y)

Certainly a striking pose!

Thanks David

Portrait is nicely framed and lit, so all good there.
The date isnt the be all and and all.

Thanks Mark

Maybe an archive image but if you have something that fits the theme so well why not

Thanks Allan much appreciated

Thanks Chris I've actually submitted this and 2 other images I've used as part of my 52 into the Smethwick International my first time entering an external exhibition. Just got to wait until later this month to see if any of them get accepted!!
Good luck (y)

Good luck (y)

Thanks Chris apparently the results/reports get sent out on the 22 November so next Tuesday so I'll be a nervous wreck every time me email goes off. but to be honest I'm not expecting to get anywhere but if I promised myself I would give it ago so at least I can get some feedback on my images from 'professionals'

Don't forget to report back, for the congratulation's posts (y)

(or less likely the commiserations :) )

Great bit of lighting Mark - beautiful highlights and tints in the hair. Belated congratulations.

Thank you all for comments.

Sadly I didn't have any of my images accepted for Smethwick but I have entered them for Southampton (or I will do when entries open) I think I must be mad!

Spot on for Young Mark - nice to see youngsters being engaged in community-based scheme like that. Very colourful. News is on theme too ... but I want a mug like that.

Of course not Mark, it fits perfectly, nice and colourful too (y)

Bang on theme for this one :)

Thanks Chris

Spot on for Young Mark - nice to see youngsters being engaged in community-based scheme like that. Very colourful. News is on theme too ... but I want a mug like that.

Thanks Carl it is really good to see younger people getting involved in the community ahh the mug my friend found it for me I think it came off ebay

I should add my desk isn't usually that tidy :rolleyes:

Hi Mark.
I think I prefer Young2 as it fills the frame. The background is a bit distracting, but looking at the wider shots, there was nothing you could do about that.
News - #2 is so fitting, but I prefer #1. Perhaps a bit tight at the top?

Hi Mark, I love those little houses, what great imagination everyone's used to create them, an excellent idea, a very unique choice for the theme.

Your mug definitely catches the eye in your news photo....I'll look on eBay :) I like the newspaper article, especially the photo, those chaps look very serious, what would they think about us and our iphones!

I like the composition of #1 for news, but I absolutely love that photo for the 110th anniversary of your photo club. I assume 110 years ago you were only allowed to take photos if you were a bearded man?

Loving the mug !

:)

Hi Mark.
I think I prefer Young2 as it fills the frame. The background is a bit distracting, but looking at the wider shots, there was nothing you could do about that.
News - #2 is so fitting, but I prefer #1. Perhaps a bit tight at the top?

Thanks Tim I prefer Young No2 too less distractions.

I agree its slightly tightly cropped but there is a notice board behind my screen and I couldn't move it!!

Hi Mark, I love those little houses, what great imagination everyone's used to create them, an excellent idea, a very unique choice for the theme.

Your mug definitely catches the eye in your news photo....I'll look on eBay :) I like the newspaper article, especially the photo, those chaps look very serious, what would they think about us and our iphones!

Thanks Susie

I wonder that they would think about photography today but having said that the club has some of the original minute books from 1906 and the early years and they actually discussed an voted to admit female photographers so they were very forward thinking.

I like the composition of #1 for news, but I absolutely love that photo for the 110th anniversary of your photo club. I assume 110 years ago you were only allowed to take photos if you were a bearded man?

Thanks Bernd I think some of the current members are taking the original members lead:)

It's great to see the hen houses - I love these little insights into different areas traditions and cultural events. Another vote for that fantastic mug, but I do agree that a bit of space above the screen would have been good.

Thanks Emma

So on to week 48 and culture.

This image was taken at The Black Country Museums War Time Christmas evening which was brilliant but a pain to photograph at!

This was taken had held and so is a little noisy!

CULTURE by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Yep that's certainly a lot of balls there Mark :D

Is it just me or is that last one quite soft?

Hi Mark,
Culture. White Balance!!! (Only kidding).
Interesting subject matter you've captured there, and for the era I think it's supposed to be portraying, the shot would hae ben taken with 100ASA film.

Arranged. I actually prefer the first of the three shots. The colour matching of the baubles works really well.

Hi Mark,
I have a bit of a "bah humbug" approach to Christmas, but that shouldn't prevent me from commenting on your photos :)

Culture: I like the idea and the candle lit atmosphere, but I think there's something missing in your composition. Maybe a lower PoV would help?
Arranged: Great idea, I prefer #1, the others are in my opinion a bit dark (and the last one looks a bit soft).

Hi Mark, love the idea of the war time Christmas, good to see that they managed a nice big Christmas cake :) I think the soft lighting adds to the Christmassy feel, it might take a slight crop on the left ...maybe o_O I can't decide.

Fiirst baubles for me, the others look a bit dark and seem to lack the sparkle of that one.

Back