weekly Downton Mini's '52 for 2016 Week 52 Celebration THe FInal Chapter!!!

Hi Mark,
Liking the photo of your Nan. As has been said, she really pops out in the photo. A great start to your 52.
Metal is very good too. Well seen. Very intricate links. BG looks a little distracting but I guess you couldn't do a whole lot about that.
Captive is very well thought with nice colours. It could be my monitor but it looks a tad dark.
Miniature is spot on and features Minis from The Italian Job by the look of it. A great film :)
I like Happy but maybe a closer crop and including the whole of the pots to remove the distracting BG?

Lovely set of images so far Mark.
I like your CAPTIVE shot....very different.

Maybe it's just me but your link didn't work Mark ....
I love those pots, I think I'd like to see the base in as well but it's a minor detail ...a super happy smiley shot, so spot on for the theme.

Thanks Susie no it wasn't just you. I did the link wrong! Sorted now thank you for pointing it out

So I have had loads of ideas for this weeks theme but other commitments and work are getting in the way:( I have found a few images I took for a project 'The Big Kidderminster Post Up' I took part in last year. I took loads of images but these are the only ones I have on this computer

They are actually places I was planning to visit for this theme anyway.

Abandoned - 1 The Old Brintion's Carpets Office/Factory

Adandoned-1 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Abandoned - 2 The old Post Office with the HMRC Office above this has been set for demolition to create a new and improved pedestrian area......

Abandoned -2 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Abandoned - 3 The Old Brinton's Offices

Abandoned-3 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Abandoned - 4 Old Canal Arm long since filled in now a car park

Abandoned -4 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Abandoned - 5 Another view of the HRMC offices taken from the Canal

Abandoned - 5 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

These were all converted to B&W as this is what they wanted for the project most of my images (along with many others) were used and displayed in one of the under passes leading to the town sadly they didn't last long as people pulled them down :(:mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice set. I really like the little cloud in #4 :)

Of the set it's #1 for me. Pity about the woman, maybe you left her in there of purpose.

I think a nice ultra wide able from much closer would be an interesting take.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy I might try an ultra wide shot form closer up weather permitting this weekend

The cloud really helps in No4 that shot was taken from the deck of a moving boat

You have been busy with abandoned, its tough to call a favourite TBH I like them all (y)

sadly they didn't last long as people pulled them down :(:mad::mad:
Everyone hates a critic :D
But little buggers :(

You have been busy with abandoned, its tough to call a favourite TBH I like them all (y)

Thanks Cobra there are loads of places around the town most a meant to be getting a new lease of life eventually just hope they don't pull down the old factories and build modern buildings in their place like they did with the library!

Everyone hates a critic :D
But little buggers :(

:sulk::LOL:

It seems such a shame when lovely old buildings are abandoned, that looks a really nice one in your first shot. I must admit that old HMRC office looks as if it needs demolishing ....probably a legacy of the awful architecture of the sixties.

A really nice selection there Mark, excellent choice in the b&w.

Thanks Susie yes the old HRMC build needs pulling down it's horrible!

Good set, if I had to choose I would go for 4 and 5 (although to nit-pick the church spire looks a little tilted but then all the other verticals look fine), nice response to the theme and good B&W conversions.

Nice job Mark. Tough theme this week. I like 1 and 4 for different reasons. 1 tells a story - for me the woman walking away is part of that and strengthens the impression of it being abandoned. 4 is an attractive and intriguing picture - well composed and well shot. If you'd done the classic perfect symmetry it may have been a more "obvious" photo but probably less interesting.

Good show!

Like the Happy flowerpot men Mark. Great set for Abandoned - I particularly liked #2 with the car in the foreground giving a sense of movement and #3 for the lovely old architectural detail. All look great in b&w.

Hi, number 4 stands out for me I like its simplicity and the lamp post being quite modern adds a quirky touch to it
you have clipped bits of building in the first 2 which is quite obvious but now I have noticed it I am drawn to it, I am being harsh though

Good set, if I had to choose I would go for 4 and 5 (although to nit-pick the church spire looks a little tilted but then all the other verticals look fine), nice response to the theme and good B&W conversions.

Thanks Chris

Nice job Mark. Tough theme this week. I like 1 and 4 for different reasons. 1 tells a story - for me the woman walking away is part of that and strengthens the impression of it being abandoned. 4 is an attractive and intriguing picture - well composed and well shot. If you'd done the classic perfect symmetry it may have been a more "obvious" photo but probably less interesting.

Good show!

Thanks Paul No 4 was a lucky shot to be honest as I was on a moving boat!

Like the Happy flowerpot men Mark. Great set for Abandoned - I particularly liked #2 with the car in the foreground giving a sense of movement and #3 for the lovely old architectural detail. All look great in b&w.

Thanks Carl

Hi, number 4 stands out for me I like its simplicity and the lamp post being quite modern adds a quirky touch to it
you have clipped bits of building in the first 2 which is quite obvious but now I have noticed it I am drawn to it, I am being harsh though

Thanks Allan I hadn't noticed the buildings until now :banghead: it may be that when I've put them trough light room its cropped them a bit not sure.

I like them all for your latest submission and keep changing my favourite every time I look through them or read a comment that draws me to another detail or part of the photograph.

The b&w is very well done and something I'd like to do more of personally. I thought the verticals in #1 were off initially, but now wonder if my eyes are playing tricks on me! Favourite was #2 to start with and I'll stick with it.

Good set :)

Last edited:
I like them all for your latest submission and keep changing my favourite every time I look through them or read a comment that draws me to another detail or part of the photograph.

The b&w is very well done and something I'd like to do more of personally. I thought the verticals in #1 were off initially, but now wonder if my eyes are playing tricks on me! Favourite was #2 to start with and I'll stick with it.

Good set :)

Thanks Ian I have the same trouble I took loads for the project and it took me ages to pick a few to submit last year even now I look at them and keep changing my mind!

Really like the 1st one Mark.

Phil

Thanks Phil

Great start to the year I think mate! Your interpretation of captive is really good, love it :clap:

With Abandoned, a nice set, I really like number 4. I think the position of the lamp post vs the cloud really balance out the shot without it needing to be symmetrical.

I like all 5 but if I had to choose I think it would be the first two they seem to give a sense of the drama to come.

Hi Mark :)

Happy - Not sure where the focus is, and the background is horrid, sorry but poor crop too, but a nice pair of pots for the theme, theme ticked :)

Abandoned - A good selection of images, picking the one that looks most abandoned for me is the first one with the board out the front, really like the sky on that one too :)

Hi Mark, cool image for happy theme, Abanonded i perfer the canal, looks the most fitting for the theme.

Last edited:
I like #1 and #2 of your take on "abandoned" the most. The work really well in B&W. Nice detail and impressive sky. But where are all the people?

Great start to the year I think mate! Your interpretation of captive is really good, love it :clap:

With Abandoned, a nice set, I really like number 4. I think the position of the lamp post vs the cloud really balance out the shot without it needing to be symmetrical.
Thanks Mark I appreciate you taking the time to comment :ty:

I like all the shots in your set of 4 - the processing and b&w works really well for me. I especially love number 1 - the building seems to stand really proud and aloof, despite being abandoned - a real heritage story being told there.

Thanks Emma yes its a very grand building especially for a factory! :)

I like all 5 but if I had to choose I think it would be the first two they seem to give a sense of the drama to come.

Thanks Liz :wave:

Hi Mark :)

Happy - Not sure where the focus is, and the background is horrid, sorry but poor crop too, but a nice pair of pots for the theme, theme ticked :)

Abandoned - A good selection of images, picking the one that looks most abandoned for me is the first one with the board out the front, really like the sky on that one too :)

Thanks DK

I agree with Happy I was taken with my X Pro 1 (I'm still getting used to this camera :whistle:) TBH I'm not happy :coat: with it and it's one I will reshoot when I get chance (when the weather improves so I can move them outside

I think No 1 of abandoned I my favourite as I love the building I know Kidderminster used to be mocked for its fame of producing carpets but some of the old carpet factories are fascinating to look at an quite grand too

Hi Mark, cool image for happy theme, Abanonded i perfer the canal, looks the most fitting for the theme.

Thanks Lee :ty:

I like #1 and #2 of your take on "abandoned" the most. The work really well in B&W. Nice detail and impressive sky. But where are all the people?

Thanks for your comments Bernd the 1st 3 images were taken on a Sunday morning so it was fairly quite

Hi Mark,

Happy - Sorry, but it doesn't really do it for me, it's not up to your usual standard.
Abandoned - A great set there. In my view the 1st & 4th are the strongest. In Abandoned1, the solitary person in the shot adds to the sense of abandonment, and in the fourth the deteriorated brickwork on the old bridge is great extra detail.
The B&W pp suits them all well.

Happy - lovely fun image - very good !

Abandoned - lovely diverse selection but really like the first one, very nice :)

Thanks Jon

Hi Mark,

Happy - Sorry, but it doesn't really do it for me, it's not up to your usual standard.
Abandoned - A great set there. In my view the 1st & 4th are the strongest. In Abandoned1, the solitary person in the shot adds to the sense of abandonment, and in the fourth the deteriorated brickwork on the old bridge is great extra detail.
The B&W pp suits them all well.

Thanks Tim I agree with your comments on Happy the more I look at the more I see wrong with it one for a reshoot I was struggling with this one to be honest and rushed it I would have been better off submitting it late but I didn't want to be to near to the naughty step again!

I'm going to try printing Abandoned 1 after a couple of tweaks (I want to see if I can get top of the flag pole in the frame)

That's really good. It took me a minute.
I love the way the light changes through the picture. Great work

I really like the shimmering of light on this too, sadly I spotted the slotted screw instantly, great attention to detail mate, great shot for the theme (y)

I won't mention the second row up four in from the left.... as I think you put that there with a 1/4 turn just to bug me :bat:

I really like the shimmering of light on this too, sadly I spotted the slotted screw instantly, great attention to detail mate, great shot for the theme (y)

I won't mention the second row up four in from the left.... as I think you put that there with a 1/4 turn just to bug me :bat:

Thanks Dean it took me a while to come up with in fact it wasn't until I was asked to order some more screws I realised I had what I needed in the stores...

I had't noticed that I will be having words with my brother tomorrow he obviously didn't do his job right :rolleyes: I will have to dock is pay now (oh well if I have it I can buy more camera gear:LOL:)

Good effort on the theme, pretty much out of the box but it does work for me. Oh and I spotted it straight away too. :)

Thanks for your comments everyone I wasn't sure about the lighting it was the ceiling lights in our kitchen

Hmm I thought it would have been tricky too spot must try harder

Back