weekly Ecniv - TP 52 2021

I'm thinking you must have changed the shot in the main thread? For the last one... I like the subtle reflections and find it an interesting composition. I think I'd be tempted to crop a tiny bit off the bottom but I like that they are higher in the frame with the dark top and bright foreground.

@Bebop I hadn't posted in the main thread for easter... I put the options here.
decided on the last one (although I really shouldn't have moved the flash between shots)

Thanks for the pointer on the crop. I had considered more central, but wasn't liking it...
Yes I quite like them being nearer the top so it's a bit asymmetrical, but I always like a bit quirky :)

I was a bit confused why people had commented on the others - that explains it :) I like your final one best I think anyway! I had come from the link on the main thread - otherwise I find I keep visiting the threads that I've already commented on... lost in Talk Photography!

Spring, nice and soft lighting with the onion bulbs in the light fading to darkness along the stalks,

Top picture: Not sure what I'm looking at? Is it a where's Wally picture?

Like the yellow flower, it's much better on Flickr when zoomed in on the little tendrils in the middle.

Snapper's Choice: I'm thinking it's the darker stone that is the focal point, but it is a little hard to tell.

There is a good subject to draw your eye in your first long exposure but I'd say there is probably some camera movement (tripod?) - was it a windy day? I find with the path there isn't really a strong focal point to draw my eye. It looks like you've chosen quite a narrow depth of field or were these taken with a lens baby? Reminder to myself that I must get my lens baby lenses out!

I really like the dandelion. The colours and detail stand out really well against the background.

Spring - great idea and nicely executed

The dandelion is lovely and vibrant - especially against the darker background. Works well for me.

The gravel/beach is interesting - especially with the shell-like bits around. Has someone dropped a pot here, or are we on a beach? The green shoot on the bottom edge is a bit distracting colour wise, and I'd be tempted to just de-green it, but otherwise, it would make a cool "big print" on a wall in a company reception.

The detail in your dandelion picture is great it really pops against the background too. I like your shooters choice picture too a nice busy picture with a focal point on the large grey pebble.

Daffodils, tulips, clogs, you must have been to...the garden centre! :)

Week 17 - shapes
The first thought of 'shapes' was the kiddies shapes toys (the ones where you train them on shape recognition, cude in square hole etc). However, no kids and no toys meant this was off the board.
The next thought was 'grown up shapes' ie architecture. There are some interesting buildings in Zuid, Amsterdam. But this time it was weather; in that the best days to do this photography are working days, the weekends being something like the UK was before, wet and wild and gray.
So then I saw the wireless headphones, remote, my mobile...
But how to arrange them...?
hdr?

stacking - spread out?

stacking close together?

Then it clicked. Shapes is anything you want to take a picture of, except empty sky. Everything has a shape. doh!
So I'm going with this :

I did try the spacing out for the negative space, but it doesn't seem to work with this floor... so I'll try that later on with something else...

Last edited:
Week 18 - Number(s)
As with the shapes theme, many thoughts. However, not much action... I was thinking about puting a big number on the phone, put the camera on the tripod, take a pic, change the number (without moving the phone) and re take etc.. merge after.
There was the remote, again... hmm maybe not.
There is the laptop keyboard...

But wow macro says its dirty...
May be a vague reference to numbers on signposts..

Or perhaps a number of birds (geese) in the local stream/canal...

But if we are going to be vague... Then I'll go with a lone swan.. (1 swan and a swan looks a little like 2... plus many grass (not inifinite but I am not going to count the blades...)

And I like the swans, although most of my shots get blown out on their white feathers...

a swan looks a little like 2
This was my thought when I saw it. Perhaps some would say it's a little too central in the frame but it's a difficult composition to make work. Very imaginative though!

Cropping off the top of the headphone holder in your shape image is a pity I think it all needs to be in the frame.
I do like the swan for numbers it’s true they do look a bit like a 2, a bit lazy though not to have counted all that grass :)

Shapes
I tend to agree with @Allan.H the ear buds work, but it's a shame about the case being a bit cropped off.

Numbers
They all do the job for the theme, the swan for me is the most interesting shot.

Shapes - have to agree about the cropping
Numbers - yep, my first thought was '2', nice image but as Harlequin said it is maybe a bit too central(?)

Shapes
The first one hurts my eyes as I look towards the top, the one you picked would be my choice too, although I agree about the crop

Numbers
A good selection of images, I was initially confused about the swan but do see the reasoning behind it

Thank you for the feedback
@StuartPearson - HDR in affinity, I haven't played much with it, and at first try, its not the easiest to get what I would like from it (even with 5 pics bracketed). Perhaps a little too much to the g(l)arish..

So I need to be more aware of the cropping... Oh the irony, want to get close to use the macro nicer but too close and its cropped ;)
Also it was a stacked focus attempt (still with the moving focus as I haven't invested in a sliding rail (yet).

HDR in affinity, I haven't played much with it, and at first try, its not the easiest to get what I would like from it
Nice to hear from a fellow Affinity user, I have the full suite on my PC but tend to use the iPad apps for ease of convenience. I have one of the basic rails that provide the horizontal and in/out adjustments but have yet to manage a stacked image where I see a changing focused area after moving the camera. It's probably related to my camera, lens and the requirement to use extension tubes for my macro photography attempts.

Ok Week 19 - Toys. One for the toy story and lego... but that's all in the other house on the other side of the world.
Looking around, not much to do with toys... May be the computer, tablet, phone, notepad (Remarkable2)... bit boring though....
But maybe with the lensbaby and edge 80mm combo, toy/model like views...

With that in mind... adult toys...

(Not that kind!)

How about model like bikes...

Maybe the bobble heads and my wifes xmas present from work (delayed due to us not being here to get it) pack of gaming cards (minus the main ones needed to play)...

Something is not quite right... lets try with the mirror lighting the subject :) I think this is the one I am going to use...

I like how you detail your thought process in picking your images, even with full brightness for the chosen image on my iPad the deadpool figure is barely visible, maybe a bit more light to catch its outline would help

Toys
I agree was @StuartPearson it's a little dark, just a tweak in exposure would be all it needs (well to me anyway). Having said all that, dark and moody is the right choice for this little scary toy.

Week 20 - Artificial
Not natural... ok. So first thoughts... lights and light bulb. Then e numbers/flavouring...
Saw these done already though before I took mine...
Just had the thought I could have had a jug of water and some colouring dropped into it... Ah well..

Eventually went past the over thinking and went with the above - everything in the picture is artificial...

Back