weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Good idea for the theme and I think the crop adds interest and draws attention to his tongue.Nice that he has a matching shirt ;)

Great composition, and great colour match between his t-shirt, tongue and eye.

I do have a mistrust of artificial sweeteners and colourings
Don't get me started on those and the issues they caused my son.................!

Sorry off the soap box, lovely portrait Emma, I love the way his tongue matches his T-Shirt (y)

Love the matching colours of eye and tongue. Eyes are really sharp and detailed. The crop works well for me regardless of the true reason for it. :clap:

Hi Emma - that's a super shot and really well done. I will say for the theme I'm not totally convinced on the crop working as well - since the subject (the blue tongue) is nearly out of frame, but as an image on its own, it works well. You can see some of the telltale signs of blowing elsewhere but you've done very well to mask them - and nice catchlights in the eye.

It's a good shot and a great idea for the theme - well done.

Reactions: WMD
What a good idea, Emma! I do like the "in yer face" close-up style and the matching tongue, shirt and eye. The crop is not ideal, as you've said, but it does draw attention to the three points of colour and it's a worthwhile experiment. Handy to have a lovely model on hand, too; mine are older and can't even be bribed these days :)

I like the crop, it's a strong close crop which works because it takes the rules, screws them up and chucks them in the bin.
Nice take on the theme too, but this is an image you should be printing and putting on the mantlepiece.

Artificial - such a good idea Emma, love everything about it, colour, sharpness and fun too.

You cant beat an e number. Nicely taken and a good take on the theme.[/QUOTE

Mmm...for photographic emergencies only I think ;) Thank you!

Good idea for the theme and I think the crop adds interest and draws attention to his tongue.Nice that he has a matching shirt ;)

Thanks Chris - funnily enough we hadn't planned the shirt - but it worked!

Great composition, and great colour match between his t-shirt, tongue and eye.

Thank you Bernd :)

Don't get me started on those and the issues they caused my son.................!

Sorry off the soap box, lovely portrait Emma, I love the way his tongue matches his T-Shirt (y)

Really sorry to hear that Chris - hope it's all sorted now. Working with young kids, I do wonder about the many effects they might have - short term struggles with behaviour/concentration and long term...? Sweeteners are the absolute no no in our house - and William begs for foul tasting diet drinks when we're out & about just because they're forbidden...kids!!

A clever take on theme different for sure, well executed.

Thanks Walter :)

Love the matching colours of eye and tongue. Eyes are really sharp and detailed. The crop works well for me regardless of the true reason for it. :clap:

Thank you Carl - a lucky mistake, then! Having made it once it will definitely make me think about more unusual crops for portraits in the future.

Hi Emma - that's a super shot and really well done. I will say for the theme I'm not totally convinced on the crop working as well - since the subject (the blue tongue) is nearly out of frame, but as an image on its own, it works well. You can see some of the telltale signs of blowing elsewhere but you've done very well to mask them - and nice catchlights in the eye.

It's a good shot and a great idea for the theme - well done.

Thanks Paul - that had crossed my mind too. I think it was the triangle of blue between the eyes/t-shirt/tongue that made it work despite the positioning of the tongue. I knew you'd look closely at the pp'd bits - thank you - I need a critical eye! On the very front of his nose I ended up doing some cloning and smudging as it seemed the only thing that worked. It was quite a small area and as it wasn't a point of focus I thought I might just get away with it - though it sticks out a mile to me!

As above - great shot, just not entirely convinced about the crop! Regardless, it's a great idea and fits the theme perfectly IMO (y)

Thanks Matt - I think the crop is a bit Marmite! :)

What a good idea, Emma! I do like the "in yer face" close-up style and the matching tongue, shirt and eye. The crop is not ideal, as you've said, but it does draw attention to the three points of colour and it's a worthwhile experiment. Handy to have a lovely model on hand, too; mine are older and can't even be bribed these days :)

Thank you Andrea - he's usually willing but it doesn't last long so I have to move fast! I'd better start saving for when he's older by the sound of it...!

Yeah, the 'in yer face' composition work well. Nice touch of humour. I'd like a little more light on his face.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - I agree with you there. I tried a couple of spots in the house and one outside, but wasn't convinced by the lighting in any of them, so in the end went for the expression I liked best. The blown bits on the face meant I couldn't raise exposure any more either - another learning curve!

I like the crop, it's a strong close crop which works because it takes the rules, screws them up and chucks them in the bin.
Nice take on the theme too, but this is an image you should be printing and putting on the mantlepiece.

Haha - my mum in law would love that ;) I did try a conversion of this to b&w and I liked it a lot - maybe we'll go with that :) Thanks so much Tim.

That's a unique one for the theme Emma ....perfect colour coordination, I really like it.

Thank you Susie!

Artificial - such a good idea Emma, love everything about it, colour, sharpness and fun too.

Thank you very much Lee :)

Last edited:
I like that Emma great idea for the theme I remember when the removed the blue Smarties because of the E numbers. Love the composition :)

Thanks William (y)

Nice idea, nice compo, nice colours.

Wow, clever idea! :) Love the crop, and the matching blue tongue and eyes and t-shirt! :D

Love this. The blue is great. Like the crop too ;-) Fabulous eyes all colour matched too !!!

Gaz

Living world, lovely reflection i really like that image :clap:

Good idea for artificial, the crops really works and it says it all

Top marks! I like the crop - it adds to the cheeky tongue out at you look. You feel like he is peeking round a corner and about to run off! The colours are sharp and it just works

Love it Emma!
Properly cheeky expression and matched colours.
Really nice. :)

I like that Emma great idea for the theme I remember when the removed the blue Smarties because of the E numbers. Love the composition :)

Thanks William (y)

Nice idea, nice compo, nice colours.

Wow, clever idea! :) Love the crop, and the matching blue tongue and eyes and t-shirt! :D

Love this. The blue is great. Like the crop too ;-) Fabulous eyes all colour matched too !!!

Gaz

Living world, lovely reflection i really like that image :clap:

Good idea for artificial, the crops really works and it says it all

Top marks! I like the crop - it adds to the cheeky tongue out at you look. You feel like he is peeking round a corner and about to run off! The colours are sharp and it just works

Love it Emma!
Properly cheeky expression and matched colours.
Really nice. :)

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your comments! :)

So possibly a bit of a shoehorn for personal as this was going to be my photography challenge for this weekend anyway! This is my daughter Amber and the band she has been playing and singing with for the past four years or so. They played possibly their last gig together on Friday night as they're all headed off to different unis in the autumn. The boys are both really talented musicians and one of Amber's music teachers once described her voice to me as being like 'luxuriating in a bath of warm, soothing water' - so I know my love of their music is not just proud mum syndrome! My tenuous link is that Amber makes music that is the most personal and special to me and I feel privileged to hear her beautiful voice around the house so often. As for the photography bit - I wanted a decent shot of the band on stage which I've never managed as I'm usually videoing. I left my other camera on a tripod to do that and headed down to the front. There was no room to move about, so getting a decent composition was hard. I was determined to use single point exposure and used the AEL lock for the first time, to try and avoid getting a washed out face. I still had to play around a lot with colours because of the lighting and do some pp on the bg which was very distracting with beams passing through Amber's head. I also thought I'd try a portrait of just her and guitar at home. I spent so long faffing with a huge reflector in her narrow room to reflect back the fairly dim light from the window, and trying not to get reflections on her guitar that I completely failed to notice how low the shutter speed had gone...doh! Maybe I can make a point of it being 'soft focus'?! I liked the lighting on her face and the catchlights, but the uneven background is annoying me. In the end - some shots that were not exactly what I was hoping for, but a lot of learning has gone on this weekend :)

Amber Zyg George by Em Jay, on Flickr

Amber Zyg_ by Em Jay, on Flickr

Amber guitar by Em Jay, on Flickramber guitar 2  small.jpg

Last edited:
You're daughter is beautiful Emma and obviously talent too ....the description of her voice sounds wonderful. I think the close up of her singing is the nicer of the first two, purely because she is more in the picture. The portrait shot looks very natural to me, but I'm not into the technicalities, I'm sure you will get some help with that one. They are all a super choice for Personal, you must be a very proud Mum :)

It's personal to you so it's deffo on theme.
I've never taken band shots (other than phone shots over heads) but I can fully appreciate how hard they are with the low but changable light.
Those shots look as good, if not better, than a lot of professional shots. :clap:

Spiky: Lovely DoF and nice conversion to black and white. like how the centre areas in focus.

Personal: Lovely story and set of images. Portraits are not something I have any technical knowledge on at all. I like the first best as it fits the story also and it is most definitely personal to you.

Personal yes, it works :)
She sounds very talented, and with "looks" too.
You must be proud (y)

I've never tried gig photography beyond the odd mobile phone shot but I think you have done well with those, they capture the mood very well. Good response to the theme, personal could be anything but it is clear they mean a lot to you.

Great idea, and really nice sharp pictures.
Thank you Clive - I'm glad they look so here...!

You're daughter is beautiful Emma and obviously talent too ....the description of her voice sounds wonderful. I think the close up of her singing is the nicer of the first two, purely because she is more in the picture. The portrait shot looks very natural to me, but I'm not into the technicalities, I'm sure you will get some help with that one. They are all a super choice for Personal, you must be a very proud Mum :)
Thanks so much Susie. I was going to put the crop as the main picture tbh- but felt a little guilty at leaving George out of the picture - especially as he's multi-tasking with bass drum and bass guitar here!

It's personal to you so it's deffo on theme.
I've never taken band shots (other than phone shots over heads) but I can fully appreciate how hard they are with the low but changable light.
Those shots look as good, if not better, than a lot of professional shots. :clap:
Wow - that's very kind Tim. The low light was a challenge for my d3200. I used my 35mm 1.8 wide open and it just about did the trick, but as you say as fast as I reset the exposure the lights changed. Still, I took a couple of shots on auto and they were a lot worse, so I figured I was doing something right!

Spiky: Lovely DoF and nice conversion to black and white. like how the centre areas in focus.

Personal: Lovely story and set of images. Portraits are not something I have any technical knowledge on at all. I like the first best as it fits the story also and it is most definitely personal to you.
Thank you Mandy :)

Personal yes, it works :)
She sounds very talented, and with "looks" too.
You must be proud (y)
I certainly am Chris - thank you :)

I've never tried gig photography beyond the odd mobile phone shot but I think you have done well with those, they capture the mood very well. Good response to the theme, personal could be anything but it is clear they mean a lot to you.
Thank you, Chris - me neither but there was lots of good info on the net to help.

Hi Emma... what amazing shots for personal. And wonderfully on theme.

The gig shots make you feel like you're there, so well done - that's the trick, I think! Composition on the first one is absolutely spot on for me too - you haven't chopped off the guitar on the right of frame :)

The portrait is a beautiful shot with wonderful lighting - so flattering and you've handled the highlight areas really, really well. Not an ounce of "hotspot" so really, really well done :clap:

Some wonderful concert photos Emma, my fav is the portrait shot, damn you must be soooo proud of your daughter :clap:
Thanks Dean - I certainly am. I'm just not sure where that last 18 years went looking at this lovely young woman!

Hi Emma... what amazing shots for personal. And wonderfully on theme.

The gig shots make you feel like you're there, so well done - that's the trick, I think! Composition on the first one is absolutely spot on for me too - you haven't chopped off the guitar on the right of frame :)

The portrait is a beautiful shot with wonderful lighting - so flattering and you've handled the highlight areas really, really well. Not an ounce of "hotspot" so really, really well done :clap:
Thanks so much Paul - the positive comment on the portrait lighting means a lot from you. I guess I would have liked Amber a little further back in the frame on the first, but there wasn't any wriggle room - and I was just pleased to get at least one shot with them all in the picture. I used my 35mm for the 1.8 so no zoom capabilities!

Hi Emma, the first two are super band photos and perfect for the theme too. You must be very proud of your daughter. The portrait is really lovely and my favourite of the set; beautifully lit, lovely smile and eye contact, and a very natural-looking pose (y)
Thank you Andrea. Considering I was in the process of knocking all her make-up and jewellery off her dressing table with my overlarge reflector she did well to stay looking so calm and relaxed :eek:

Hi Emma. I wouldn't have a clue how to take the band shots but they look terrific to me with composition, lighting and focus. I really like the portrait - excellent composition, so nicely lit, beautifully sharp. :clap:

First one's just great, from the hard-at-it bassist to Amber's hemline o_O nice composition. :clap:

Not for the 52's ... but I'd be tempted to beef it up with Posterize or Comic Book effect for the album cover. ;)

3 Great images Emma the portrait is the one for me though as it feels more personal but the 2 form the gig are excellent love the colours

Hi, right on theme for me, can't choose a favourite, portrait is very good but they all work

Emma these are deeply personal to you, and so PERFECT for the theme.
Bravo!

Back