weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Stone - a precious find indeed and lovely presentation the b&w suits it

That is a lovely find Emma, lovely detail I like the hands holding the stone. The B&W conversion really adds to the feel of the the image

I love the bribery .....you can't beat it :)

I imagine if he's anything like my grandson he treasures it, that's a really nice composition with the way he seems to be holding it like something very precious, and good choice in the b&w.

Wow that's a great find - a lifetime treasure. Nicely taken Emma - the way he's holding the stone speaks volumes about his great find.

Stone - a precious find indeed and lovely presentation the b&w suits it

Thank you very much for the lovely comments!

Despite work spilling over way too much into my weekends at the moment I managed to grab 20 minutes or so out in the garden on Saturday and was thrilled to see so many bees. One of those seemingly simple things in life that so much else depends on and we are at serious risk of losing if we don't stop taking them for granted.

welcome visitor by Em Jay, on Flickr

Last edited:
Amazing macro! Love the sharp focus on the antenna sticking out like that.

Beautifully detailed and excellent choice of DoF to pick out those main features in flower and bee. Not easy to follow the erratic movements and still manage to keep sharp. :clap:

Stone - Lol at the bribery aspect of the shot. I think I would have played with the contrast / hue of the image to try to get a bit more punch, that said the black is very rich, so maybe not.

Simple - I have no idea if that was done with a macro lens or not, but that a great sharp shot. Not sure I would have wanted to be that close!

Simple - What a lovely image (my favourite of this week theme) lovely amount of detail, love the DOF and sharpness too

Hi Emma

Stone - that works well and the hard lighting suits the indentations/fossil. Not sure what the light source is, but I'd have been tempted to get closer to it to soften the shadows a bit from his hands though. Nice image!

Simple - absolute cracker of a macro bee shot. Nicely lit, perfectly focused for me and great composition. Genuinely a super image! :clap:

Beautifully detailed and excellent choice of DoF to pick out those main features in flower and bee. Not easy to follow the erratic movements and still manage to keep sharp. :clap:
Thank you Carl - they do keep you on your toes :)

Simple - What a lovely image (my favourite of this week theme) lovely amount of detail, love the DOF and sharpness too
Thank you Mark - I'm glad you like it :)

Simple but so crucial to life Emma, nice focus with enough detail and DOF
Thanks Chris

Stone - Lol at the bribery aspect of the shot. I think I would have played with the contrast / hue of the image to try to get a bit more punch, that said the black is very rich, so maybe not.

Simple - I have no idea if that was done with a macro lens or not, but that a great sharp shot. Not sure I would have wanted to be that close!
If I'd though ahead I would have put him in a lighter coloured t-shirt, but hindsight's a fine thing (and I'm sure he would have upped his fee ;) ) I used my Sigma 105 macro for the bee - it's a lovely sharp lens, and thankfully the bees are a lot more interested in nectar than me :D

Hi Emma

Stone - that works well and the hard lighting suits the indentations/fossil. Not sure what the light source is, but I'd have been tempted to get closer to it to soften the shadows a bit from his hands though. Nice image!

Simple - absolute cracker of a macro bee shot. Nicely lit, perfectly focused for me and great composition. Genuinely a super image! :clap:
The stone was taken outside just before 7 am but the light was harder than I thought. I tried lifting those shadows a little in LR but it didn't have much effect. I have to confess not too much thought was put into the set up of that one :oops: :$ Thanks very much for the lovely feedback on the bee shot - I was really pleased with the way that one came out.

The stone was taken outside just before 7 am but the light was harder than I thought. I tried lifting those shadows a little in LR but it didn't have much effect. I have to confess not too much thought was put into the set up of that one :oops: :$ Thanks very much for the lovely feedback on the bee shot - I was really pleased with the way that one came out.
7am is nearly three hours after sunrise here ;) If you want strict golden hours light then it needs to be 5am or so :eek: It's the only thing about summer I don't like!

Thanks DK - the camera is definitely a bit of a life line when things get stressful...roll on the summer :)
I know what you mean... nice late evenings to enjoy, I really should go out more in the winter with the camera, get some nice frosty images :)

Well caught Emma :)

Stone is a lovely shot made all the more poignant by the story behind it. The b&w conversion is spot on and the little scamp should be grateful you feed him, house him and clothe him :ROFLMAO:

I am in awe of anyone who can capture decent macro and the pic of the bee is fab especially as they are active little buggers. The droning of bees when relaxing in the garden on a summer's afternoon is one of life's Simple pleasures.

Stone is a lovely shot made all the more poignant by the story behind it. The b&w conversion is spot on and the little scamp should be grateful you feed him, house him and clothe him :ROFLMAO:

I am in awe of anyone who can capture decent macro and the pic of the bee is fab especially as they are active little buggers. The droning of bees when relaxing in the garden on a summer's afternoon is one of life's Simple pleasures.
Quite right...modelling for his mum (and holding the reflector, and running back to fetch the memory card I forgot to put in and...!) is the least he can do ;) Thanks for the lovely comments - bees are indeed wonderful things :)

So...work is still beyond crazy leaving me no time at all to go out looking for an interesting take on this week's theme. A pity because I thought it was a really good one. Just a couple of grab shots then of two lots of signs which show just how world's apart and yet very similar two of my kids are. I find the fact that Amber's signs, made when she was about 8, are still on her door even though she's off to uni in September. They'll put a lump in my throat every time I walk past them, I'm sure...

amber door.jpg

william  door.jpg

LOL great signs Emma, I remember my two plastering their doors in signs, when they were ( Much) younger :)

Hi Emma... I saw these on the other thread side by side. I thought you'd composited them next to each other and I thought it was a brilliant idea because it's the juxtaposition of a "covered in stuff" door vs "neat and tidy" door. I reckon you should do that! Nicely taken but so much more for me when they're put next to one another.

Really like both of those Emma they show what many think of then they think of Girls (neat and tidy) and Boys (lots of stuff spread out) Lovely bright colours against the white doors on both

Hi Emma. What a wonderful idea for the theme. Both brilliantly decorated doors - I agree with Paul about making a composite of them. Excellent :clap:

Well thought out, the difference between boys and girls says it all really

Really like both of those Emma they show what many think of then they think of Girls (neat and tidy) and Boys (lots of stuff spread out) Lovely bright colours against the white doors on both
Well thought out, the difference between boys and girls says it all really
Thank you - it's pretty much true in our house, although Amber's room can sometimes tell a different story behind the door. Especially when she's been trying on a few outfits!

Hi Emma... I saw these on the other thread side by side. I thought you'd composited them next to each other and I thought it was a brilliant idea because it's the juxtaposition of a "covered in stuff" door vs "neat and tidy" door. I reckon you should do that! Nicely taken but so much more for me when they're put next to one another.
Hi Emma. What a wonderful idea for the theme. Both brilliantly decorated doors - I agree with Paul about making a composite of them. Excellent :clap:
Thank you. A composite was originally what I had in mind...then I realised I didn't have a clue about how to do that :confused: When I've got a bit more time I'll have a go! Good call gents :)

Emma, like both of your sign shots, are they pre warning the state of whats behind the doors ? Our girls were always more messy than the boys !

Emma, like both of your sign shots, are they pre warning the state of whats behind the doors ? Our girls were always more messy than the boys !
Amber certainly has her moments...but Will's is pure carnage just now...so yes - pretty representative! But then again their brother Jason's room always looked a tip and then he became a very tidy teen...so who can tell?!

Back