weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Hi, both pics work well but the chickens for me it's such a lovely shot of them perfect DoF

Excellent use of DOF in both images Emma.
I have to pick the first as my fave for the same reason as @Toothie :D

Love both images, lovely lighting, and good use of dof to isolate the main subject. Just a shame you cut off the chicken's head and the legs of the black one.
Thanks Stan - I can understand why you wouldn't like the crop, but in this case I'm quite happy with it. I think having the whole black one in would have lost some of the detail and connection. As for the other chicken's head, it might have been ideal, but those hens move so fast that I was barely aware the other three were there at all when I was taking the shot...I was just trying to get the eye in focus! Thanks for the feedback though - much appreciated :)

Hi Emma ....two super shots ...I like the hens as it's something different, but your grape hyacinth is such a lovely image I think I'd choose that as my favourite ...I love the soft focus on it ....you've made a rather plain little plant look quite stunning.
Thanks Susie - that's lovely feedback :)

Camo - lovely picture generally but after spotting the mouse it also adds a nice element of fun too - very nice

Danger(ous) - liking the bike one - great action / movement but perhaps a little too much fun to be that dangerous :D

Topical - two great images - the first quite heart warming with your back story and narrative - the second not so much, but very strong - well done

Living World - again two string contenders and cant pick a favorite - both lovely in their own way :)
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to so many shots Jon. I agree with you about the bike shot...I just won't tell the model!

I really like both images, but the chickens win on the fact that the 3 in the background all have their bottoms in the air, so its kind of like she is ignoring the bottom waving of her friends (or i need some sleep).
Haha - I hadn't thought of that Ruth - you're right - she's looking quite stand offish :)

The grape hyacinth for me. Pixel perfect. A real cracker. Well done.
Thank you so much, Brian :)

Hi, both pics work well but the chickens for me it's such a lovely shot of them perfect DoF
Thank you Allan :)

Excellent use of DOF in both images Emma.
I have to pick the first as my fave for the same reason as @Toothie :D
Thanks Ruth :)

Danger - two great shots I like the movement of the first one but the second is a great capture.
Topical - great street shots, brave of you too I haven't ventured into that. I like the busker best.
Living world - again I like both but the hens just pip it for me.

Last edited:
After being faced with the dreaded ofsted and surviving this week, I probably should have put up a self-portrait as I have been extremely prickly indeed! Especially as the news landed on my daughter's 18th birthday, so I ended up missing a large part of the family party :( Still - we've made up for it since and I still have a job ;) so all is well. It certainly made having some photography time this weekend all the more special. I got a bit sidetracked away from spiky though...so didn't have too much to choose from. I've decided to go with this, although being clueless on b&w conversions I'll have to let you guys tell me what mistakes I've made :p

prickly mood by Em Jay, on Flickr

very nice conversion nothing wrong with it all and a great viewpoint of a perfect subject (then I would say that) certainly captures its very spiky nature with some excellent detail

Definitely spiky Emma, B&W suits it (y)

Hi Emma, Living World - peeping purple is soft and gentle, always difficult with a slight breeze, I think it adds something sort of magical garden feeling.

Spiky is a really good image, good use of DoF and I really like the framing you chose, processing's spot on too.

Last edited:
Teasels are great aren't they?
Love your DOF on this one.

Nice macro image Emma. Lovely sharp detail - definitely spiky. Looks great in b&w :clap:

Spiky - Great choice it is so spiky it has spikes on its spikes Great macro shot.

I think it's brilliant!
I said on another thread that I take lots of pictures of teasels but I keep very few as I'm usually dissatisfied with them, the angle you have chosen here and choosing not to focus on the obvious head has knocked my socks off, superb!

Hi Emma

Living World: I really like the flower shot, the DOF's just right. The chicken shot's good too but animal photos aren't really my thing so easy for me to pick the flower!

Spiky: This looked quite ordinary when I looked on my phone but full size on the PC, wow. Great detail and the composition is very unusual. There's something unsettling about it viewed from that angle - it might be that it reminds me of a giant spider. Or that I need more sleep. I'll stop now.

Hi Emma, that's a good macro shot. I like that you can still see what it is but the perspective from that naturally shallow DOF works really well to pull you into the image - as do the leading lines. Tones are spot on for me and overall it's a really accomplished shot. No change there then, given it's one of yours! ;) Bravo!

Hi Emma, it's a quick catch-up from me as I've been busy catching up with my themes and it's the first time I've visited your thread. Thanks for dropping in to comment on mine, and I'll try to keep up to date in future!

Old - I love the close-up details, the warm light and the OOF Christmas lights in the background. Really sets a relaxing scene.
Metal - you found a great prop, perfect for this theme, and the side lighting, blue tones and processing have brought out all the textures of metal (y)
Captive - a fun interpretation of this theme, and the lighting is perfect with all the shadows but the eyes and hands clearly lit.
Miniature - a lovely colourful image, with a very clear sense of scale. Nicely done!
Happy - yes indeed, happy or content are the first words that comes to mind here! There's nothing quite like a sleeping cat to convey that all is well with the world :) Really like the OOF fire in background, which gives a warm and homely atmosphere.
Abandoned - I really like both your first and third images. The first is a great idea and the brown of the leaf contrasts well against the blue sky, while the tyres standing up against that wall do look out of place and abandoned, and the sign adds a touch of humour. I would probably choose the first overall for the strong colours and contrast (y)
Camouflage - a clever idea; I had to look twice to spot the mouse peeping out of the leaves :) I really like the natural browns and greens and the textures in this one.
Dangerous - I like both ideas, but do prefer the bike image. They both have a strong sense of motion and colour, but the panning in the first one and the downward slope seem to shout 'danger' to me more strongly. Mind you, the smile on his face says he's having great fun. Typical boy! :)
Topical - two strong images, well done :clap: I feel reluctant to try 'street photography' too, so well done for getting out there to do it. The first one captures the energy and joy in music that you mention in your explanation, and I think the woman walking by absorbed in her photo is a lucky addition rather than a distraction as she contrasts well with your main subject. Your low POV works well, and the window caption is also another good addition; it all works well together for me as a take on modern life. The second image works on a few levels too; the sight of bedding on a street while behind it is an empty building, but the strongest note for me was the reflection of the content couple walking past and looking down at the items. Great contrasts; well done!
The Living World - both of these are good for the theme and the grape hyacinth is a lovely strong colour against the smooth greens, but I just prefer the character and interest in the one of the hens, especially the way she has her head up and looking around while the others are all concentrating on food.
Spiky - exactly what it says on the packet! Super sharp surfaces and textures and it really suits B&W. I agree that viewing it from this POV makes it look more threatening and dangerous, too.

I've enjoyed catching up with your thread and will be following in future so I will hopefully stay up to date with you!

Last edited:
Nice image for Spiky Emma some nice detail in there great black and white conversion

very nice conversion nothing wrong with it all and a great viewpoint of a perfect subject (then I would say that) certainly captures its very spiky nature with some excellent detail

I think it's brilliant!
I said on another thread that I take lots of pictures of teasels but I keep very few as I'm usually dissatisfied with them, the angle you have chosen here and choosing not to focus on the obvious head has knocked my socks off, superb!

Hi Emma

I really like this close/macro image, the thorns are just visible in places but the overall spikiness of the plant is very clear,liking your composition from slightly below too - good one (y)

Hi Emma

Living World: I really like the flower shot, the DOF's just right. The chicken shot's good too but animal photos aren't really my thing so easy for me to pick the flower!

Spiky: This looked quite ordinary when I looked on my phone but full size on the PC, wow. Great detail and the composition is very unusual. There's something unsettling about it viewed from that angle - it might be that it reminds me of a giant spider. Or that I need more sleep. I'll stop now.

Hi Emma, that's a good macro shot. I like that you can still see what it is but the perspective from that naturally shallow DOF works really well to pull you into the image - as do the leading lines. Tones are spot on for me and overall it's a really accomplished shot. No change there then, given it's one of yours! ;) Bravo!

Thanks for your lovely comments - I would like to say that the perspective was carefully planned - but this particular teasel was a very long way up and well...I'm not!

Definitely spiky Emma, B&W suits it (y)

Hi Emma, Living World - peeping purple is soft and gentle, always difficult with a slight breeze, I think it adds something sort of magical garden feeling.

Spiky is a really good image, good use of DoF and I really like the framing you chose, processing's spot on too.

Hi Emma.
The tight crop and B&W conversion suit that well. Nicely sharp in all the right areas :)

Teasels are great aren't they?
Love your DOF on this one.

Nice macro image Emma. Lovely sharp detail - definitely spiky. Looks great in b&w :clap:

Perfect choice in the b&w Emma and very Spiky too :)

Spiky - Great choice it is so spiky it has spikes on its spikes Great macro shot.

Nice image for Spiky Emma some nice detail in there great black and white conversion
Thank you all for your positive feedback - I'm especially pleased the mono conversion seemed to work.

Hi Emma, it's a quick catch-up from me as I've been busy catching up with my themes and it's the first time I've visited your thread. Thanks for dropping in to comment on mine, and I'll try to keep up to date in future!

Old - I love the close-up details, the warm light and the OOF Christmas lights in the background. Really sets a relaxing scene.
Metal - you found a great prop, perfect for this theme, and the side lighting, blue tones and processing have brought out all the textures of metal (y)
Captive - a fun interpretation of this theme, and the lighting is perfect with all the shadows but the eyes and hands clearly lit.
Miniature - a lovely colourful image, with a very clear sense of scale. Nicely done!
Happy - yes indeed, happy or content are the first words that comes to mind here! There's nothing quite like a sleeping cat to convey that all is well with the world :) Really like the OOF fire in background, which gives a warm and homely atmosphere.
Abandoned - I really like both your first and third images. The first is a great idea and the brown of the leaf contrasts well against the blue sky, while the tyres standing up against that wall do look out of place and abandoned, and the sign adds a touch of humour. I would probably choose the first overall for the strong colours and contrast (y)
Camouflage - a clever idea; I had to look twice to spot the mouse peeping out of the leaves :) I really like the natural browns and greens and the textures in this one.
Dangerous - I like both ideas, but do prefer the bike image. They both have a strong sense of motion and colour, but the panning in the first one and the downward slope seem to shout 'danger' to me more strongly. Mind you, the smile on his face says he's having great fun. Typical boy! :)
Topical - two strong images, well done :clap: I feel reluctant to try 'street photography' too, so well done for getting out there to do it. The first one captures the energy and joy in music that you mention in your explanation, and I think the woman walking by absorbed in her photo is a lucky addition rather than a distraction as she contrasts well with your main subject. Your low POV works well, and the window caption is also another good addition; it all works well together for me as a take on modern life. The second image works on a few levels too; the sight of bedding on a street while behind it is an empty building, but the strongest note for me was the reflection of the content couple walking past and looking down at the items. Great contrasts; well done!
The Living World - both of these are good for the theme and the grape hyacinth is a lovely strong colour against the smooth greens, but I just prefer the character and interest in the one of the hens, especially the way she has her head up and looking around while the others are all concentrating on food.
Spiky - exactly what it says on the packet! Super sharp surfaces and textures and it really suits B&W. I agree that viewing it from this POV makes it look more threatening and dangerous, too.

I've enjoyed catching up with your thread and will be following in future so I will hopefully stay up to date with you!
Wow - Andrea - thank you for taking the time to comment in such depth on so many photos - I was really taken aback! You have put such a lot of thought into your feedback - it is very much appreciated.

Reshoot - living world
So @pjm1 pointed out that there was a tickbox for this reshoot option...and I seem to be developing some ocd tendencies on the 52 ;)
This is one that I took at the weekend to try out a spray painted sheet of glass put together thanks to a tip from a TP member on how to get a good reflective surface without too much outlay. Not exactly taken for the 52, and since I picked the flower is it even on theme for living world? Oh dilemmas!
But I did like the shot - I just couldn't seem to get a composition I was happy with in the garden. I put it up earlier in the week on a different forum, so apologies for anyone who has already seen it. Please don't feel you need to comment - so many people have been kind enough to comment already on the spiky shot.
25235087040_ed200d9764_b.jpg
[/url]snowdrop reflection by Em Jay, on Flickr

That's super, Emma. Nicely sharp and that reflection is wonderful. Do you have a link to that spray painting the glass post?? Exposure looks spot on for me although it's possible the white point could be stretched if you wanted - maybe?

In terms of the composition, it looks good to me. Yes, you could have the stem coming in from the bottom right corner but then it'd be a different shot. I like it as is!

Wow - Andrea - thank you for taking the time to comment in such depth on so many photos - I was really taken aback! You have put such a lot of thought into your feedback - it is very much appreciated.

You're welcome :) I enjoyed my canter through your themes so far.

You've just added your Reshoot of Living World and it's a cracker with those delicate details, colours and the perfect reflection. I would also be interested in learning more about the spray-painted glass if you have a link. It gives a striking reflection.

That's super, Emma. Nicely sharp and that reflection is wonderful. Do you have a link to that spray painting the glass post?? Exposure looks spot on for me although it's possible the white point could be stretched if you wanted - maybe?

In terms of the composition, it looks good to me. Yes, you could have the stem coming in from the bottom right corner but then it'd be a different shot. I like it as is!
Thanks Paul - I brought the whites down a touch in post as I felt I was losing some detail - but you might be right. Out of all the compositions I tried this was my favourite - I just liked the view it gave you right into the flower - one that isn't often seen as they're growing outside.

You're welcome :) I enjoyed my canter through your themes so far.

You've just added your Reshoot of Living World and it's a cracker with those delicate details, colours and the perfect reflection. I would also be interested in learning more about the spray-painted glass if you have a link. It gives a striking reflection.
Thanks Andrea - definitely give it a try. I got the frame from Wilkinson's for £3 and the paint from the pound shop as Steve suggested :)

Something wrong with the Link Emma. Love the colors in Living World and the nice clean clear reflection.

Spiky - Outstanding shot! I like the composition and dof. I don’t know much about b&w conversion either but it looks great to me! ;)

Reshoot - Lovely. It’s a very strong picture for me. Liking the white and green against the black, and the reflection and composition. :)

Spiky - Outstanding shot! I like the composition and dof. I don’t know much about b&w conversion either but it looks great to me! ;)

Reshoot - Lovely. It’s a very strong picture for me. Liking the white and green against the black, and the reflection and composition. :)
:agree: ... but I'd like to see a teeny bit more of the cactus in focus. :)

Lovely image image Emma it works very well :)

Artificial - I do have a mistrust of artificial sweeteners and colourings (much better an occasional sugar treat, I think), so these blue sweets were a very rare experience for William. He loved the effect on his tongue, but didn't like the taste much...so I 'lost' the rest of the packet...phew!! He also lost interest in being my model very quickly, so I didn't get many shots! This was next to a window. The day was sunny, and as he moved we got a bright splash of sun across his face which was blown. I cropped this out and liked the effect, although it's maybe not exactly where I would have cropped it by choice.

TP 52 Week 11 'artificial' by Em Jay, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back