weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Abandoned - three good shots. I like the different take of abandoned with the leaf, lovely colour against the blue sky and it was a good idea to use the reflector. The third shot is wonderful, love the contrast of the vertical lines with the two tires and the sign balances it all well, very well seen and composed.

Camouflage - fits the theme perfectly. Love the way it blends in the with leaf behind.

Abandoned - three good shots. I like the different take of abandoned with the leaf, lovely colour against the blue sky and it was a good idea to use the reflector. The third shot is wonderful, love the contrast of the vertical lines with the two tires and the sign balances it all well, very well seen and composed.

Camouflage - fits the theme perfectly. Love the way it blends in the with leaf behind.

Thanks for the comments, Steve.

Abandoned - your lone leaf is a lovely shot, I like the colours find it a pleasing image.

Camouflage - took me a small moment of time to find the mouse, but it has been a long day at work for me.

I know that feeling Mandy - hope you get some photography downtime soon!

William & I took advantage of the sunshine and half term to try out some action shots today. This was probably the most successful of them - I was pleased to get as clear a shot as this on his face with the low shutter speed I needed for background blur. He's not quite used to his new bigger bike yet, so speeding downhill felt a little more dangerous than usual! He was not happy I missed the focus on his jumping off the shed roof shot:oops: :$, but was only prepared to give me a couple of goes...so we'll leave that for another day! I do get the feeling adrenaline sports might be his thing later in life...gulp!

TP 52 Week 7 'Dangerous' by Em Jay, on Flickr

Good sense of action and nicely framed. If my lad is anything to go by the bounce fairly well ;)

Nice shots, good lad! :D I particularly like the bike one. Good composition and motion blur and I think his expression is perfect for the theme!

Nicely timed and captured Emma. Both excellent action shots. Yes, I think I probably favour the bike shot too ... like the mud spattered on the frame. :clap:

Oh heavens Emma....tell me neither ended in tears or plastercast!

Oh heavens Emma....tell me neither ended in tears or plastercast!
The shed trick freaked me a little too when I first saw it (it was well practised by then..!) but his patient description of how to land safely showed me he'd put a little more thought into it than I had reckoned. Phew! The bike shot may have had a little drama introduced by a rotation tweak - thank goodness those trees don't grow quite straight ;)

Love these shots Emma :clap: the speeding bike is excellent, you've really captured the look on his face too. Just read your comment above ...well done with the rotation, it definitely adds to effect.

I though at first he'd jumped off the shed roof on his bike ......eeeeek !! Your photo has put my mind at rest :) ...love the captured action and the shadow.

Miniature: great concept and well done for planning and prepping involved. certainly a varied idea.

Abandoned. Good choice good to see some blue sky makes the leaf stand out more.
Camouflage: fits the theme well took me a moment or two to spot the mouse.
Danger: boys will be boys and bet your son really loved jumping off the shed. Glad he landed in one piece. His shadow almost has a Humpty Dumpty shape. I prefer the shot with him on his bike more as his expression gives the impression of danger more. You certainly have some good ideas coming out for the themes.

Love these shots Emma :clap: the speeding bike is excellent, you've really captured the look on his face too. Just read your comment above ...well done with the rotation, it definitely adds to effect.

I though at first he'd jumped off the shed roof on his bike ......eeeeek !! Your photo has put my mind at rest :) ...love the captured action and the shadow.
Thanks WSusie - I''d better not let him read your comment about the bike on the roof - it'll only put ideas into his head :eek: ;)

Miniature: great concept and well done for planning and prepping involved. certainly a varied idea.

Abandoned. Good choice good to see some blue sky makes the leaf stand out more.
Camouflage: fits the theme well took me a moment or two to spot the mouse.
Danger: boys will be boys and bet your son really loved jumping off the shed. Glad he landed in one piece. His shadow almost has a Humpty Dumpty shape. I prefer the shot with him on his bike more as his expression gives the impression of danger more. You certainly have some good ideas coming out for the themes.

Thanks for all your lovely comments Mandy. I hadn't seen the Humpty Dumpty shape - great observation!

Hi, cycle shots excellent, his facial expression really makes it, well done for getting it sharp with all that motion blur

Im liking the bike shot, I tried the same with my son but not managed it yet!

I like the way it looks like he is riding into the photo, with plenty of space in front of him.

It looks like your son had a great time this week being mums photography prop!

Emma Hi, like you bike shot, I would be useless at trying that.

I like the Dangerous bike ride .... nice panning job. (y)

Great shot, a real sense of speed and motion - the look on his face is well captured.

Im liking the bike shot, I tried the same with my son but not managed it yet!

I like the way it looks like he is riding into the photo, with plenty of space in front of him.

It looks like your son had a great time this week being mums photography prop!

Thank you! He loves having his heroics recorded, of course!

Very good. Nicely shot and very apt

Not an easy one to do, and you almost really captured it...but, none the less, on theme and his face is a picture off terror :)

Cheers.

Dangerous - I am really liking the cycle shot, well captured.

Thank you :)

Emma Hi, like you bike shot, I would be useless at trying that.

I like the Dangerous bike ride .... nice panning job. (y)

I'm not sure I quite carried the panning off - I would have liked more movement in the background - but I'm sure we'll be out again with the bike soon :)

It's the bike shot for me too Emma. Capturing that expression on his face is priceless. :clap::clap:

Great shot, a real sense of speed and motion - the look on his face is well captured.

Thank you!

So here it is - my first attempt at 'street' :eek: - I surprised myself at how self-conscious I felt walking around town with my camera. This talented busker is a familiar face in Worthing. She has a great voice, fantastic energy and is rarely without a big smile. My daughter and I have stopped and chatted on a couple of occasions about guitars, singing and the joy of Doc Martens - in fact I'm ashamed that I don't know her name - she was lost in the music today but next time I will wait and ask her. I was struck by the sign on the shop window behind her this morning, and asked if I could take her photo, receiving a thumbs up mid song. There is so much ongoing media obsession with success, lifestyle, possessions, security that without knowing this young woman's background, I felt the photo had some questions to ask about what the essentials really are in life. The lady walking past, absorbed in her mobile seemed to finish the shot off.

TP 52 week 8 'Topical' by Em Jay, on Flickr

2 nice shots both Danger and Topical.

Danger - The first shot wins it for me, well done in balancing the blurred background and freezing the bike. The second is well timed however I find the strong shadow a little too distracting.

Topical - Nicely done and well done for having the courage to take it (its not easy). Personally I would have preferred the woman with the phone to either be more in shot or completely out of it. As it is it looks as though someone has just wandered into the shot. Given the window graphics , I think I'd opt for the former. (y

I was also struck by this little scene around the corner. I saw the pair of men who'd been sleeping there walking away with more bedding earlier on. There was no sign of them later, but someone had put money into a dropped glove nearby.

doorway smalll.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I would have preferred the woman with the phone to either be more in shot or completely out of it. As it is it looks as though someone has just wandered into the shot. Given the window graphics , I think I'd opt for the former. (y

Really lovely shot, and partly agree with Chris above - the woman absorbed in her phone definitely adds allot of interest to the shot for me, so definitely wouldn't want to see her excluded, but if she was a little more in shot I think it would improve the image.

2 nice shots both Danger and Topical.

Danger - The first shot wins it for me, well done in balancing the blurred background and freezing the bike. The second is well timed however I find the strong shadow a little too distracting.

Topical - Nicely done and well done for having the courage to take it (its not easy). Personally I would have preferred the woman with the phone to either be more in shot or completely out of it. As it is it looks as though someone has just wandered into the shot. Given the window graphics , I think I'd opt for the former. (y

Really lovely shot, and partly agree with Chris above - the woman absorbed in her phone definitely adds allot of interest to the shot for me, so definitely wouldn't want to see her excluded, but if she was a little more in shot I think it would improve the image.

Thanks for the comments Chris and Paul. I completely agree with the woman not being far enough into the frame - but I was concentrating on the busker and didn't even see her coming! At first I thought she'd 'spoiled' the shot - but when I got home and saw her so absorbed in the phone I felt I had to leave her in. I have a couple of other shots without her, but the singer's face is not caught with quite so much joy and animation. C'est la vie!

I really like the busker shot Emma, good detail considering ...

And, by accident or design, I like the other face coming into the frame too. Any less of her and she'd have to go completely, any more of her is not necessary.

Great busker shot! I like the woman with the phone in shot. Maybe more of her would be nice, but it works as it is. :) The two separate ladies lost in their own worlds suit the theme very well, I think. :)

I know what you mean about being self-conscious. I've also been thinking of shooting some street for this week's theme but am feeling scared about it, especially since I'll be using a 24-120 (I love zoom) and it juts out a bit! :p

Back