Ever regret selling gear?

Name
Lionel
Edit My Images
No
Towards the end of last year i had a mishap with my, at that one and only dslr body so instead of hiring I thought it would be a good idea to buy a used body whilst the one and only was away for repairs, and when the repairs are done, consider selling again, or keep as a 2nd body. In the end it was a balanced decision and a relatively high (thought not massively so) shutter count swung it towards selling. I have regretted it ever since! And in fact due to developments in my work have now purchased another 2nd body and fairly much out of pocket in the whole process!

Then more recently, again for work have needed a longer reach than my 70-200 2.8, so went for a new 80-400 f4-5.6 with the intention of moving my 70-200 on. Problem is I'm using the 70-200 more than ever since taking it out for a few 'example' shots for demo purposes and can't face loosing the extra couple of stops and a great lens!! Have decided to keep it, for now anyway.

Just wondering if any body else has sold kit and subsequently regretted it?

Yep. Very recently sold my camera, (on this site actually) and regretted it straight away, so I had to remind myself why I decided to do it in the first place.

Ive got a fair bit of kit just sitting in a bag doing nothing at the moment as my life has changed in such a way that I VERY rarely get a chance to go out and use it. I had to think about the pros and cons of selling up and replacing with a high end compact (Fuji), and decided that the pros definitely outweighed the cons. It was such a waste owning it, and never using it, so once I have sold everything, Ill have a nice little compact, and a 35mm SLR with a couple of primes. It also means I will have freed up a fair bit of cash which will go towards our first family holiday.

Yes, to this day I regret selling my 300mm F2.8 despite the fact that I was hardly using it!

sold my entire canon setup to get a Fuji X-E1 on day of UK release of the Fuji.
setup included my 70-200F/4L and Sigma 10-20... as much as i loved the fuji i really miss both those lenses.
Sold the fuji and back to canon and now have the new 10-18 on way so im halfway there to replacing what i miss.

Yep. Very recently sold my camera, (on this site actually) and regretted it straight away, so I had to remind myself why I decided to do it in the first place.

Ive got a fair bit of kit just sitting in a bag doing nothing at the moment as my life has changed in such a way that I VERY rarely get a chance to go out and use it. I had to think about the pros and cons of selling up and replacing with a high end compact (Fuji), and decided that the pros definitely outweighed the cons. It was such a waste owning it, and never using it, so once I have sold everything, Ill have a nice little compact, and a 35mm SLR with a couple of primes. It also means I will have freed up a fair bit of cash which will go towards our first family holiday.

Sounds like a sensible plan, albeit a bit of a wrench!

sold my entire canon setup to get a Fuji X-E1 on day of UK release of the Fuji.
setup included my 70-200F/4L and Sigma 10-20... as much as i loved the fuji i really miss both those lenses.
Sold the fuji and back to canon and now have the new 10-18 on way so im halfway there to replacing what i miss.

It was my Sony NEX-5 not long after it was released that gave my interest in photography a real boost again. Think I'm about ready to move it on now. That's if there would be any interest in it at all. Think it has been superseded. Great little camera though, as I'm sure the Fuji is.

biggest shocker was the depreciation on the fuji. at time of release with the 18-55 KIt lens it cost me around £1200. now 18 months on its half that.
does seem CSC cameras being relatively new so to speak in comparison to DSLR's dont seem to hold value as well simply because they are advancing so quickly with newer models.

biggest shocker was the depreciation on the fuji. at time of release with the 18-55 KIt lens it cost me around £1200. now 18 months on its half that.
does seem CSC cameras being relatively new so to speak in comparison to DSLR's dont seem to hold value as well simply because they are advancing so quickly with newer models.

It is bodies vs lenses. DSLRs also depreciate heavily, with a few exceptions, and only while they are current. Lenses can last a long time without losing much value. I envy those who bought 85mm f/1.2 II L before 2008 crisis. They have used a great lens that is still current and have in theory made money on it if they sell on.

Once some mirrorless standards are established, there is a chance some glass would become valuable. Sony E mount may have a chance. The fuji is only apsc and that may keep the value down; the m4/3 will always be the little brother and the value proposition, replacing superzooms and advanced compacts sector. It really depends what Leica does next, and whether Canon / Nikon will get in the game (hopefully not!)

I haven't sold any camera gear to regret anything, but I do regret selling other stuff I have owned. Hens why I haven't sold any camera gear yet(y)

Not sold any photographic kit that I regret but have disposed of a couple of cars Id like to still have!

My D3s.

Nope. The only regret I have is that I ever bought any digital camera equipment in the first place.

I haven't really had much gear, but I do regret giving away my D200 and Sigma 70-300 to a good friend; he's a busy lad and just doesn't get the time to practice. Just today he's asked me what lens he could buy for a holiday with the kids and other half to Lanzarote ... my best suggestion for him is to buy a Bridge camera, not because I particularly want the D200 but I think he'd actually use it.

We sold our gear in order to get a deposit on a property, currently have a lovely home but no camera gear. Got rid of the following:

Canon 5D mark II
Canon 35mm 1.4
Canon 50mm 1.2
Canon 85mm 1.2
Canon 135mm 2.0
Canon 24-105mm
Canon 10-22mm
Canon 450D

Looking to get a 5D mark III soon enough though!

We sold our gear in order to get a deposit on a property, currently have a lovely home but no camera gear. Got rid of the following:

Canon 5D mark II
Canon 35mm 1.4
Canon 50mm 1.2
Canon 85mm 1.2
Canon 135mm 2.0
Canon 24-105mm
Canon 10-22mm
Canon 450D

Looking to get a 5D mark III soon enough though!

Wow, sold a car once to go towards a deposit for a house and regretted that. Took me ages to get back into a comparable car.

Back