F & C Week long trip to Cornwall!

Which week (sat to sat) in May would you prefer?

• 6th - 13th

• 13th - 20th

• 20th - 27th

Results are only viewable after voting.
We're aiming to leave mid morning, stopping for 2nd breakfast and then early lunch, probably afternoon tea roundabout Reading, so should be in Cornwall at about closing time :D

You'll get there well before closing time young Nick... it's your round. :beer::D

Hi All,

With Cornwall fast approaching, Woody and I thought we'd send a bit of an update :)

Accommodation: It's looking like we will be able to get in the cottage from about 15.30 onwards. Woody and I will probably arrive in Cornwall earlier in the day, then go and pick up the keys. If you want to meet up before please give us a call :)

We have directions to the cottage which we will send in a PM to everyone and we'll also include our phone numbers. We've stayed in the area many times so give us a ring if you get lost!

Food: Woody and I are organising an online shop to be at the cottage for 16.30 onwards tbc. We will buy the basics for breakfasts and lunches and also enough food for Friday night (Pizza, Jacket Potatoes etc). On Friday, we can sit down and work out if we want to eat in any other nights and then there are a couple of supermarkets nearby where we can pick up extra food for the week.

Surf: We'll be bringing wetsuits and a couple of stand up paddle boards :D Feel free to join us if you're feeling brave - the sea is currently a searing 11.4 °C which if we're lucky will be 11.6 by next week!

Looking forward to seeing you all on Friday :)

Surf: We'll be bringing wetsuits and a couple of stand up paddle boards :D Feel free to join us if you're feeling brave - the sea is currently a searing 11.4 °C which if we're lucky will be 11.6 by next week!

It's really not a good idea to let @Andysnap anywhere near the sea!! ;)

Thanks for your hard work arranging all this @nikki_s and @Woodsy! :)

Also, apologies if this is outside the forum rules, but there's a wanted thread for some fuji acros in 120... Anyone have any that they want to shift for the meet?

This time next week, we'll hopefully be having our second breakfast at Gloucester Services!!

Ah, well. I'll be in Barcelona...

I'll still think of you enjoying Gloucester services :)

So are you going to be in Cornwall around the time of the trip John? Would be good to put a face to a name :)
Also, apologies if this is outside the forum rules, but there's a wanted thread for some fuji acros in 120... Anyone have any that they want to shift for the meet?

Simon ess fell out with 6 rolls of that only last week, it didn't hang about.
I dunno where to get it in Cornwall, I usually take a suitcase full so I've never had to buy it.
There used to be a couple of processors in Newquay like Max Speil and a Fuji one, dunno if they have film though and its 5 years since I was last there.
There's a Photoshop in Wadebridge that stocks film according to the Goog, you could ring them.......its a bit sparse across cornwall though, everythings miles away.
I travel to Newquay on the 26th, we have to go during bedlam week, not because we have kids but because my so works in the industry so those are her holiday times, I can't begin to tell you how much of a pita it is.

If anyone needs anything on the way down to Cornwall, Firstcall Photographic is very close to the M5 at Taunton, and you can pick orders up from their warehouse if you arrange it with them first. I remember the warehouse being about a mile from Junction 25, but Google Maps shows it a couple of miles further out now, so I'm not sure if they've moved!

That's a good call, as Firstcall's postage costs are high. Also, mifsuds in Brixham have a bit of film but the selection is pretty poor...

Ah, well. I'll be in Barcelona...

I'll still think of you enjoying Gloucester services :)

Gloucester services is owned and run by the same family that run Tebay services in Cumbria. Hence it has lovely food, excellent service and a farm shop & deli stuffed full of delicious goodies!! :)

Enjoy Barcelona! It's somewhere I'd like to visit at some point.

Gloucester services is owned and run by the same family that run Tebay services in Cumbria. Hence it has lovely food, excellent service and a farm shop & deli stuffed full of delicious goodies!! :)

Barcelona becoming an annual pilgrimage :)

Tebay became known as Telly Tubby Land when the kids were young (20 years ago!). The undulating, grassy knolls and rabbits everywhere :)

Very apt nickname for it! :D

Gloucester is a new build and they've taken great care with the environment and landscaping. It's a very nice place to break a journey, unlike a lot of motorway services. :)

Snaps, you'll probably miss most of the 25 miles of roadworks on the M6 south of the Manchester Ship Canal, but not the M5/M6 intersection hell, nor the new roadworks on the first section of the M5. And getting past Bristol is a lottery; you might zoom past at 70+, or sit there for a couple of hours (specially on Fridays)! Past Bristol as far as Exeter I believe the M5 is relatively open.

And getting past Bristol is a lottery; you might zoom past at 70+, or sit there for a couple of hours (specially on Fridays)!

I'm going on a Friday...:(

oh wait, no, Saturday morning ?

Last edited:
According to What's On At Fistral Beach (Newquay), Next weekend sees them holding some sort of jet ski racing.

For North Cornwall from Bristol direction (i.e. pretty much anywhere other than the South coast from Southampton Westwards!), I would get onto the North coat road as soon as possible, especially in daylight. Saves diving South past Exeter only to bounce back up on the A30. (MUCH prettier route as well!)

BTW our local Poundland has several dozen rolls of Vista 200/24. I can buy some stock if anyone wants it... don't use it much myself!

As reported by PM, Mrs R is coming, full of trepidation at what she's letting herself in for!

According to What's On At Fistral Beach (Newquay), Next weekend sees them holding some sort of jet ski racing.

For North Cornwall from Bristol direction (i.e. pretty much anywhere other than the South coast from Southampton Westwards!), I would get onto the North coat road as soon as possible, especially in daylight. Saves diving South past Exeter only to bounce back up on the A30. (MUCH prettier route as well!)

Were you thinking of something like coming off at Bridgwater and going via Minehead etc? The roads may be pretty but a bit slow. Last time going to St Ives we went A30 then up on A397 (?) to Davidstow...

I'd love some rolls if you are able to get some Chris, thanks :) I've looked in four Poundlands over the last week, and none have any!

How many, Carl?

If you are coming Way down west then Godrevy at Sunset is a must, but anytime is better then not at all.

Also Wheal Coates is worth a visit.

We're planning on going to the Eden Project some time. It's horrendous expensive, but Mrs R says there's a voucher in BBC Gardener's World magazine for BOGOF entry...

We're going there as well Chris. We got a good deal on annual tickets when we were there last summer so they're still valid until August. Got to get our moneys worth!! :D

Were you thinking of something like coming off at Bridgwater and going via Minehead etc? The roads may be pretty but a bit slow. Last time going to St Ives we went A30 then up on A397 (?) to Davidstow...

If you're not in a hurry, yes. The A30 shouldn't be too bad but an incident can block it for hours. Of course, the same goes for the A39 but at least that has pretty views if you do get stuck! IIRC it's the A395 that runs up from the A30 through Davidstow - that's the route we usually take from Exeter to Tintagel/Boscastle.

Advice from a Local, stay clear of Ginsters Pasties.

Although I'm from Devon rather than Cornwall, I wholeheartedly agree with that - avoid Ginsters! The only reason then seem to qualify as Cornish Pasties is because the factory is JUST inside the border. Strangely, the lorries always seem to head East when they leave the factory gates. FWIW, our favourite pasties come from Pengenna Pasties who have several shops dotted around the county. The even freeze well and are almost as good when defrosted (naturally rather than "ping cuisine"!) and reheated in the conventional oven.

If anyone's after "mystical" waterfall type stuff, (St) Nectan's Glen is worth a visit and the walk. Pretty sure the café's open at this time of year but check first (if you want/need it!)

If you're not in a hurry, yes. The A30 shouldn't be too bad but an incident can block it for hours. Of course, the same goes for the A39 but at least that has pretty views if you do get stuck! IIRC it's the A395 that runs up from the A30 through Davidstow - that's the route we usually take from Exeter to Tintagel/Boscastle.

Although I'm from Devon rather than Cornwall, I wholeheartedly agree with that - avoid Ginsters! The only reason then seem to qualify as Cornish Pasties is because the factory is JUST inside the border. Strangely, the lorries always seem to head East when they leave the factory gates. FWIW, our favourite pasties come from Pengenna Pasties who have several shops dotted around the county. The even freeze well and are almost as good when defrosted (naturally rather than "ping cuisine"!) and reheated in the conventional oven.

If anyone's after "mystical" waterfall type stuff, (St) Nectan's Glen is worth a visit and the walk. Pretty sure the café's open at this time of year but check first (if you want/need it!)

St Nectans looks very nice.

Back