weekly Go on then, 5th go at the 52, finished!

NYMR?
Liking the idea, on subject defintely, but to my eyes a little washed out (perhaps that's caused by the diesel exhaust).

Yep, nymr at grosmont. There was a lot exhaust so yes probably took the colour up a bit, thanks for taking a look.

Good idea. Almost looks like a steam engine with all that smoke around. Not exactly environmentally friendly are they? If my car did that it would fail an MOT.
Nothing like a good bit of diesel exhaust, you should see class 37s opening the throtttle,

Mouth - a good interpretation of the theme, nice sharp image.

Thanks Mandy.

Nicely seen Michael, I was wondering if we'd see any railway tunnels this week. :)

Nicely seen Michael, I was wondering if we'd see any railway tunnels this week. :)

Nice (y) .... "nymr at grosmont" just googled it.

I nice shot and well taken, my only thought is whether I would like to see more of the tunnel by taking a few steps to your left. Well done all the same (y)

Nice idea for the theme Michael and a good shot. :)

Thanks all, the gate was locked to my left at the time, but I shall see if it's doable on a future visit.

Companions - I like the idea and the straight down the camera look from the soft toy. Maybe less harsh lighting would have reduced the dark of the shadows on the wooden dog

Elegant - I find the engine shot fits the theme better for me. I’m guessing this is at the NRM at York?

Watery - Good choice of subject but I feel the lighting in #1 again is too harsh and distracts somewhat

Relax - The candles certainly fit the theme. I think to see a hint of their surroundings may have lifted the image a little

Bold - Nice one. A great choice of subject and lighting that suits it

Vertical - #2 by a mile for me. I like the low PoV and the contrast of colour vs. grey sky. Very nice and very poignant

Mouth - I recognise the Grosmont tunnel. Been there a few times. Good idea for the theme. With the muted colours it has a fitting retro feel to the image

Companions - I like the idea and the straight down the camera look from the soft toy. Maybe less harsh lighting would have reduced the dark of the shadows on the wooden dog

Elegant - I find the engine shot fits the theme better for me. I’m guessing this is at the NRM at York?

Watery - Good choice of subject but I feel the lighting in #1 again is too harsh and distracts somewhat

Relax - The candles certainly fit the theme. I think to see a hint of their surroundings may have lifted the image a little

Bold - Nice one. A great choice of subject and lighting that suits it

Vertical - #2 by a mile for me. I like the low PoV and the contrast of colour vs. grey sky. Very nice and very poignant

Mouth - I recognise the Grosmont tunnel. Been there a few times. Good idea for the theme. With the muted colours it has a fitting retro feel to the image

Thank you Peter for the comments, much appreciated. Elegant was at nrm york.

Hey Michael,
Vertical: two good shots there, the second one for me - love the vibrant colour and the focus is spot on.

Mouth: nice idea! I would maybe crop the people on the left out but again, focus is great. Nice job

Hi michael, nice straight on image of the train, I think you have a thing about trains, just an observation from the last few years :LOL:

Hi, good choice for this week's theme :) I wouldn't like to breathe in all those fumes though!

Interesting subject Michael well spotted and captured (y)

Hey Michael,
Vertical: two good shots there, the second one for me - love the vibrant colour and the focus is spot on.

Mouth: nice idea! I would maybe crop the people on the left out but again, focus is great. Nice job

Thanks ferg, did try a crop without the people, but it didn't seem right to me. Thanks for looking in.

Hi michael, nice straight on image of the train, I think you have a thing about trains, just an observation from the last few years :LOL:

:D Thanks Alllan, trains have been popular haven't they...

Hi, good choice for this week's theme :) I wouldn't like to breathe in all those fumes though!

Thanls Lorraine,

Interesting subject Michael well spotted and captured (y)

Cheers Chris.

Playing a bit of catch up. Apologies for missing a few...

Bold: A good fun image that fits the theme well. Fantastic lighting really works with the shot (y)
Vertical: The first one for me. I do like a good mono shot :)
Mouth: Another good shot. The smoke is taking over a touch but I guess you couldn't have done much about that. I like the inclusion of the people on the left - it helps pull my eye in to the main focal point of the photo.

Hey Michael :)

Yet another catch up from me :)

Companions - A good selection of shots here mate, I am preferring the first shot with the dog on monkeys head, the splashes of red sure lift the shots for me :)

Elegant - Nice old carriage that, all the uprights nice and vertical, and having read your comments fits the theme beautifully :)

Watery - Of the two images I'm going for the second shot, purely because of the bold slice, the good black background and the picked out metal surface, really odd but love it (y)

Relax - You can't beat candles for a relaxing atmosphere, really like the candle holders used in this shot, real strong blacks again with shiny metal - Like it :)

Bold - Love this image mate, excellent lighting. good focus and lighting again and nice and punchy - no crit from me :clap:

Vertical - A couple of nice shots again... I am drawn to the second shot, really like the colours and the towering look of it :)

Mouth - Now here is me not knowing trains... I thought it was coming out of the tunnel :D perfect idea for the theme, and the steam adds a real nice feel to it :)

Hey Michael :)

Yet another catch up from me :)

Companions - A good selection of shots here mate, I am preferring the first shot with the dog on monkeys head, the splashes of red sure lift the shots for me :)

Elegant - Nice old carriage that, all the uprights nice and vertical, and having read your comments fits the theme beautifully :)

Watery - Of the two images I'm going for the second shot, purely because of the bold slice, the good black background and the picked out metal surface, really odd but love it (y)

Relax - You can't beat candles for a relaxing atmosphere, really like the candle holders used in this shot, real strong blacks again with shiny metal - Like it :)

Bold - Love this image mate, excellent lighting. good focus and lighting again and nice and punchy - no crit from me :clap:

Vertical - A couple of nice shots again... I am drawn to the second shot, really like the colours and the towering look of it :)

Mouth - Now here is me not knowing trains... I thought it was coming out of the tunnel :D perfect idea for the theme, and the steam adds a real nice feel to it :)

Thanks Dean for the catch up, much appreciated.

Great stuff on here. Like the tryptich and agree with the comments about the blue in the first shot. My fav would have to be the scenic tree and benches but i would probably have gone for a square crop on that one.

Hi Michael...hope Xavier is fully recovered now ?

Mouth...can only echo other's comments....good straight on shot , plenty of detail :)

I've been MIA on comments for a while & am stumped as to what the theme was for the 2 shots you posted in post #138 :thinking: Help a dimwit out can you :)

Hi Michael...hope Xavier is fully recovered now ?

Mouth...can only echo other's comments....good straight on shot , plenty of detail :)

I've been MIA on comments for a while & am stumped as to what the theme was for the 2 shots you posted in post #138 :thinking: Help a dimwit out can you :)

Thanks Lynne, xavier is much better now and back to normal though his sleep pattern has been disrupted big time.
I had to go back and look, they were for crowd, #1 was going on the 2's company and 3's a crowd.

I had to go back and look, they were for crowd, #1 was going on the 2's company and 3's a crowd.

You outwitted me. I didn't realise it was a picture of three engines and not just a train + 2 carriages. I was stumped just like Lynne but too afraid to admit it :)

I actually quite like it now. I'd consider cropping out the railway lines in the foreground just to see what it looked like. It might not be any better but worth a look. It makes me smile to see tree branches growing out of the funnel of the front train. It's a shame about that bit of train on the right hand edge. Would have been a better pic without it, but I don't suppose it's the sort of thing you can move out of the way.

Please excuse any train related grammatical errors :)

You outwitted me. I didn't realise it was a picture of three engines and not just a train + 2 carriages. I was stumped just like Lynne but too afraid to admit it :)

I actually quite like it now. I'd consider cropping out the railway lines in the foreground just to see what it looked like. It might not be any better but worth a look. It makes me smile to see tree branches growing out of the funnel of the front train. It's a shame about that bit of train on the right hand edge. Would have been a better pic without it, but I don't suppose it's the sort of thing you can move out of the way.

Please excuse any train related grammatical errors :)

:) Thanks Ian, I have done a crop. I think I actually prefer it cropped. It was annoying really, these 2 locos had been shunted into position ready for a night shoot of another steam loco, that shoot cost £65 and everyone who wasn't booked were told the sight is closing now and that was that. THose branches made me smile too, I hadn't noticed them until showing the pic to my mum, first thing she said was, nice tree growing out of the funnel :D quite fitting really, those 2 locos haven't been in steam for some time.

crowd crop by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Heh. Having seen the crop, I think I prefer it uncropped. Feels a bit more spacious.

It took me a while to see the connection, but I got there, and just like you mum the first thing I noticed was the "tree" growing out the funnel" :D
Uncroped for me too BTW (y)

Hi Michael, got to say I was the same couldn't work it out but now I see the 3 trains together works well

Thanks all.

Now close up, using a long lens to bring something closer, and what better subject than an eclipse?

Really can't believe the weather behaved, these were taken whist showing my daughters school of 90ish the live image via eos utility, I kept taking pictures as they were watching clouded right over after the most cover and the final bottom right shot came as a little spot in the cloud opened up.

eclipse montage by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Nice collage and bang up to date too. Here where I live it was a normal foggy morning which just got a bit darker -- nothing out of the ordinary really. For a couple of minutes the fog thinned and I was able to see the eclipse shrouded in mist which meant I didn't need any special glasses.

I wondered if someone would shoe horn in the eclipse this week :D
Nice collage Michael (y)

Can in 2024! :(

Nice collage and bang up to date too. Here where I live it was a normal foggy morning which just got a bit darker -- nothing out of the ordinary really. For a couple of minutes the fog thinned and I was able to see the eclipse shrouded in mist which meant I didn't need any special glasses.
I wondered if someone would shoe horn in the eclipse this week :D
Nice collage Michael (y)
Hi Michael

great set of images of the Eclipse :clap: ....not possible to crit as you can hardly go back & shoot it again :)
Can in 2024! :(

Thanks all, I could reshoot in America in 2017, scrimping and saving time! :eek:

Mouth, well captured an nice detail in the smoke. I like the Special on the train. I might have cropped the people out...then again they add to the narrative.

Crowd, I didn't get the connection either, but they are wonderful trains.

Close up, yup works for me, some interesting photographs. It still amazes me that we can photograph the moon :)

Cheers.

Hi Michael, very topical for close up seems you had a pretty similar view to me, well done for capturing it :clap:

Back