weekly Go on then, 5th go at the 52, finished!

Close Up....Brilliant idea.
The only thing I would have done differently is to have the smaller images run in sequence clockwise around the central image rather than runing across row by row.

Your Close Up shots are fantastic Michael, both topical and spot on for the theme and at least it means I get to see the eclipse albeit a few days later :clap::clap::clap:

What an excellent idea to make a whole series of images for this. Suits the subject and theme really nicely. Out of all the smaller shots I do have to say I like the bottom right one that's shrouded in cloud - very atmospheric

Thanks everyone for the replies. Very pleased they have gone down well.

Now onto machine and alphabet, a reshoot will come at some other point.

Machine, I very nearly posted another train shot, but decided to go with this as I liked te colour. I lost a bit of space at the top due to the pic need straightening.

machine #1 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Alphabet, A couple of choices here, I like them both

alphabet #1 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Or this one

Great Central Railway #1 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

nothing wrong with trains, and you'd get an award if you managed to use a train for every week (honest) but cranes are ok too :) I agree that the colours are lovely on the machine pic. For your alphabet I like the canvas bag one best, it has lots of character :)

Great angle on machine, and nice colours offset against the blue sky.

Alphabet #1 works best for me, great detail, and I love the sense of age and decay.

Machine, I like the rustic setting too Michael (y)

Alphabet, the old suitcase for me (y)

nothing wrong with trains, and you'd get an award if you managed to use a train for every week (honest) but cranes are ok too :) I agree that the colours are lovely on the machine pic. For your alphabet I like the canvas bag one best, it has lots of character :)

Thanks Summer, a reward eh :cool: See below for my favorite pic from the day.

Great angle on machine, and nice colours offset against the blue sky.

Alphabet #1 works best for me, great detail, and I love the sense of age and decay.

Machine, I like the rustic setting too Michael (y)

Alphabet, the old suitcase for me (y)

Thanks Nick and Chris, the suitcase shot is becoming my fave now.

78019 #1 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Alphabet - I agree, the suitcase / travelcase works best, it's an interesting abstract picture that would usually not be photographed like that.

Machine - I think the yellow of the crane works nicely against the bright blue sky.
You're fibbing a bit about the train though... I assume that's Brocklebank Line's boiler in the shed isn't it eh? Presumably taken in Kent (or do the GCR still have a shed dedicated to the Bulleid in it's absence?

Machine: I'm not sure about this shot. I like it but my eyes constantly move between the crane and the shed as if there is no single point drawing my attention. I'd like to see it taken again from some different angles, perhaps a reshoot subject?

Alphabet: Truly the suitcase has character but one would be hard-pressed to guess the theme from the picture; I would have guessed 'letters'. Still, that's me being picky, great picture though. (y)

Alphabet - I agree, the suitcase / travelcase works best, it's an interesting abstract picture that would usually not be photographed like that.

Machine - I think the yellow of the crane works nicely against the bright blue sky.
You're fibbing a bit about the train though... I assume that's Brocklebank Line's boiler in the shed isn't it eh? Presumably taken in Kent (or do the GCR still have a shed dedicated to the Bulleid in it's absence?

I don't know much about Brocklebank lines tbh, I thought I saw a boiler with 35025 on it, but I can't be certain. The shed with the number on you couldn't get into, not tat I noticed anyway. You have me thinking now, wish my short term memory was better than it is lol. I didn't see anything dedicated to a bullied.

Machine: I'm not sure about this shot. I like it but my eyes constantly move between the crane and the shed as if there is no single point drawing my attention. I'd like to see it taken again from some different angles, perhaps a reshoot subject?

Alphabet: Truly the suitcase has character but one would be hard-pressed to guess the theme from the picture; I would have guessed 'letters'. Still, that's me being picky, great picture though. (y)

Thank you Martin, I will certainly bear it in mind, hopefully will get the chance to go again during the summer. As for alphabet I was not sure how to go about the theme, do I go for all the letters (which has just reminded me of something I could have photographed, but would require a day trip) or just pick something out with a few, hence the suitcase.

I'm liking the crane for Machine Michael.
But I am loving the old suitcase you've used for Alphabet :)

Machine ... in agreement with @ShinySideUp ... I almost find the shed more interesting ... maybe there's two separate images there. Or something like the big hook of the crane with the rusty old corrugated tin in the BG on a bleak day. o_O

Alphabet ... the J. E. B. in good.

Hi Michael,

Close up - what a great take on the theme. Great work especially with no highlight blowouts :)

Machine - That certainly looks like a workhorse of a machine and the surrounding environment really fits in well.

Alphabet - The first image is my favourite of the two. Its simple and full of textures and details. Keep up the good work :)

I like the look of the corrugated iron shed thing in the MACHINE shot. It adds contrast and interest IMO.

ALPHABET - the old suitcase, hands down!

Thank you all for the comments.

Sound, I was hoping to get a picture of a paint sculpture by using a speaker and music, but it failed.Also I have inflamtion of my cartilage between my ribs causing quite a bit of discomfort. So I have decided to go with this one, a close up of a shunters horn, hopefully this works, I think it does

sound (option) by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Simple, effective and on theme. Very nicely done indeed :)

Hi Michael

Alphabet....suitcase image for me as well, bold pp , plenty of texture , leaves me wondering who it belonged it to & what stories it could tell as it looks well traveled (y)

Sound...wowzers , bet that's bloomin loud !

y'see I knew there was a train horn somewhere lol (I think the other one I saw was an aeroplane), but yeah I am getting very mixed up with so many peeps doing this challenge o_O

anyway back to your sound - I like it that you can stick to the train theme every week, like a challenge within a challenge. The body of the horn seems a little dark but still works well, you can see clearly what it is which is what matters :)

Thank you all very much for the comments, it has worked better than I thought. Now somehow managing to keep the train theme going.... Last friday saw the mainline move of 41001, the prototype for high speed trains, 2 were built,one scrapped a long time ago and one remained, now restored and running again. So prototype fits in with experiment for me.

2 pics together here, mainly becasue the image on the right (last fridays pic) isn't at the best angle due to a very slim platform, so I included a picture from an open day last year, just to give it a bit more context,plus it has the groups plate on who are restoring it too.

Oh and sorry it's another train...

experiment by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Hi Michael.

The train thing isn't doing it for me I'm afraid so it's difficult to comment. I didn't initially get the connection between the two images until I saw that the train on the left is actually behind the train on the right. I get the theme connection and that works fine but I really think a better position to take the image would have improved the shot. You're limited by access though so it's a very difficult subject to represent well.

Sorry :(

Hi, Michael, you do like your trains and I am tempted to say photograph different things, but if ya like trains ya like trains :)

The connection is there but not keen on having the RH train in there.

Cheers.

Hi Michael.

The train thing isn't doing it for me I'm afraid so it's difficult to comment. I didn't initially get the connection between the two images until I saw that the train on the left is actually behind the train on the right. I get the theme connection and that works fine but I really think a better position to take the image would have improved the shot. You're limited by access though so it's a very difficult subject to represent well.

Sorry :(

Thanks for the comments, most certainly a better position would suit, but it was quite late in the day.

Hi, Michael, you do like your trains and I am tempted to say photograph different things, but if ya like trains ya like trains :)

The connection is there but not keen on having the RH train in there.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, time constraints were not on my side. Probably one for a reshoot later down the line.

Hi Michael,

I can get your thinking behind the experiment/prototype thing, but the images don't really work for me - sorry :(

ha ha more trains, love it :) prototype, yep experimental, and the only one left, cool. I like both pics but maybe try swapping them because I think the head-on shot would work better on the RHS :clap:

Hi Michael :)

Machine - Really liking the colorful (albeit slightly clipped) crane, nice perspective and well exposed, nice one :)

Alphabet - The closeup of the case is spot on for me, love the different textures of metal, leather, hessian and print, great idea (y)

Sound - Liking this, a nice simple idea, but the touch of a silhouette really adds to the idea, liking this a lot, another (y) from me

Experiment - Sorry... not quite certain of your thinking here, but boxes ticked :)

Michael, Don't listen to Andy (@posiview ) keep to shooting trains as they are a fantastic subject (am I biased?, No surely not) ;)
The archive shot of 41001 is perhaps a bit over exposed, but I like the clag. Startup I assume?
The shot with the Class31 leading doesn't do the lines of 41001 justice, but as a shot it is nicely composed, exposed and executed.

I got the 41001 / Experiment connections immediately. I wonder how many others did.

Thanks Tim, yep it was a start up job, they were doing it throughout the day, the light back then was really bright and harsh. Thanks everyone else for all the comments, much appreciated. Got behind after editing a rather huge amount of pictures from newarks civil war reenactment and bolsover castle. Hopefully I have the themes sorted and be up to date when I get to the end of the pp.

Machine - What not a train LOL. A good record shot of the mobile crane. Just clipped the top off the frame which is a shame though.

Alphabet - I definitely like #1 - well seen and taken especially with you choosing to pick a small area of the suitcase(?) to frame. It really has a vintage feel to it

Sound - I’d have liked to have seen a bit more detail in the horn but the choice of crop works with the subject matter

Experiment - #1 made me laugh as it looks like it’s a steam train given what’s coming out of the top of it LOL

Last edited:
Back